More Next Gen Ranger Details from Ford of Europe

Most of those are all things F-150/super Duty already offers, so not surprising they’d trickle down to a fully redesigned Ranger - especially one with NA sales in mind.

id imagine just about all of them will make their way over except maybe the roof rails and powered bed cover.

26 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Most of those are all things F-150/super Duty already offers, so not surprising they’d trickle down to a fully redesigned Ranger - especially one with NA sales in mind.

id imagine just about all of them will make their way over except maybe the roof rails and powered bed cover.

I don’t recall seeing the power tonneau or the sliding rail tie downs.  I tried to find the tie downs aftermarket and had problems finding one for the F150 so I ended up with the round rails.

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

With the article out of Colonge Germany, I wonder if the in-bed outlets will be the EU-spec 2-pin 240V that is so common in that area?

HRG

Correct

Regional specific power outlets, European Rangers are sourced from South African plant so export units will have Euro plugs. Rangers built at other plants will have plugs and voltage suitable for intended markets.

Edited by jpd80

16 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Makes sense, thanks!

HRG

The global Ranger is a massive project, it  encompasses a lot of variations in regional specific equipment as well as the whole RHD/LHD design thing. Attention to detail is the key and baking in everything at the start of the project is essential for success, fortunately, North America had a big say this time around, so hopefully buyers reap the benefits of those decisions.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be interested to see how nice the next gen Ranger actually is because the current one has been the victim of some major decontenting since first coming to North America.

1) Lariat no longer gets an engine cover.

2) Hood struts replaced by prop rod.

3) Headrests no longer fold.

4) Chrome accents removed in certain interior areas.

5) Power fold mirrors removed from certain trim packages.

6) Lariat painted tailgate handle replaced with a black plastic one.

7) Removal of lighted shift indicators on console.

8) Removal of rear door touch sensors on Lariat.

Now this all seems to go back to former CEO Jim Hackett when he said they would try to cut costs by decontenting where the customer won’t really notice, but those little things matter when it’s a competitive market. It’ll be interesting to see if the next gen Ranger ends up like the current one where the first year is the most feature rich and they start removing features after that.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

I’ll be interested to see how nice the next gen Ranger actually is because the current one has been the victim of some major decontenting since first coming to North America.

1) Lariat no longer gets an engine cover.

2) Hood struts replaced by prop rod.

3) Headrests no longer fold.

4) Chrome accents removed in certain interior areas.

5) Power fold mirrors removed from certain trim packages.

6) Lariat painted tailgate handle replaced with a black plastic one.

7) Removal of lighted shift indicators on console.

? Removal of rear door touch sensors on Lariat.

Now this all seems to go back to former CEO Jim Hackett when he said they would try to cut costs by decontenting where the customer won’t really notice, but those little things matter when it’s a competitive market. It’ll be interesting to see if the next gen Ranger ends up like the current one where the first year is the most feature rich and they start removing features after that.

I’m a long time customer, and I’m noticing.  It’s an issue that really bothers me. It makes no sense to have the first year model be the most feature rich, and then take content away as the model ages.  What kind of logic is that?   

What I need to research is if this is a common practice for all manufacturers or just Ford.  I really want to know the answer to this question.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, tbone said:

I’m a long time customer, and I’m noticing.  It’s an issue that really bothers me. It makes no sense to have the first year model be the most feature rich, and then take content away as the model ages.  What kind of logic is that?   

What I need to research is if this is a common practice for all manufacturers or just Ford.  I really want to know the answer to this question.

Oh and I forgot to add no manual override key lock on the tailgate anymore. I believe the F-Series still has it. The current Ranger has been hit very hard by the bean counters.

15 hours ago, tbone said:

Uh, GM eliminated heated seats on some models in middle of winter. So it's not just Ford. Supply chains are screwed up everywhere. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Uh, GM eliminated heated seats on some models in middle of winter. So it's not just Ford. Supply chains are screwed up everywhere. 

But that’s a supply chain issue.  Ford has a history of doing this for cost cutting.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tbone said:

It makes no sense to have the first year model be the most feature rich, and then take content away as the model ages.  What kind of logic is that?   

I agree tbone. Ranger's competitor from Toyota, the Tacoma, went the other direction. Toyota added more content from model year 2019 to model year 2021. 

Examples.

• SiriusXM, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa features added as standard features with all infotainment systems
  • Connected Services — Safety Connect with 1-year trial, Wi-Fi Connect with up to 2 GB within 3-month trial added to all trims
  • Power sliding rear window added to SR5
  • 10 way power driver's seat added to SR5 V6 grade and above

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

To be fair though Ford has traditionally had more features and content than a lot of competitors, so the competitors have less to take away.  Not defending it but you need to keep it in perspective.

That's true, but some of the stuff they have removed on the Ranger goes beyond just little trim pieces or moving items to another package. Replacing the aluminum front fenders secretly sometime in 2021 with steel is not product improvement. It makes you wonder how long the 100% aluminum body panel F-Series is going to last when Ford is going backwards on other models.

36 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

That's true, but some of the stuff they have removed on the Ranger goes beyond just little trim pieces or moving items to another package. Replacing the aluminum front fenders secretly sometime in 2021 with steel is not product improvement. It makes you wonder how long the 100% aluminum body panel F-Series is going to last when Ford is going backwards on other models.

Aluminum prices have skyrocketed. And boron steel is lighter and stronger than regular steel. The Ukraine crisis is really affecting commodity prices. Does piss me off though that door keypad is now optional on most trim levels. Hood struts have been eliminated by many auto companies however. And engine bay light seems to be long gone. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

To be fair though Ford has traditionally had more features and content than a lot of competitors, so the competitors have less to take away.  Not defending it but you need to keep it in perspective.

Coming from a Crosstrek Limited to Escape SE with premium package, I have to say the Escape has much more content and much appreciated. Not even a close comparison. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

That may be, but it’s not good practice when your repeat buyers buy your products and pay more for less features, especially features that are readily visible and useful.   I just don’t find that to be good policy, and it causes negative publicity with your core customers.  You only can get kicked in the nuts so many times before you get tired of it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

That was specifically for chip shortages, though.  Ford's done the late-in-lifecycle feature dropping well before chip shortages were a thing.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That was specifically for chip shortages, though.  Ford's done the late-in-lifecycle feature dropping well before chip shortages were a thing.

Yes. If you want a next gen Ranger buy quickly to get all the nice stuff, because it'll lose it sooner or later. I thought Ford learned their lesson with decontenting all to hell back in the late 90's with the Taurus, but I guess not.

• Sad 1

In light of the discussion about Ford's annual de-contenting tradition affecting U.S. market Ford Ranger, blksn8k2's question in the original post is worth repeating. How much of the feature set for European market 2023 Ranger will be eliminated in the U.S. market Ranger?