Ford February 2022 Sales Results

1 hour ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Well Honda and Toyota both make cars and their sales were down over 20% too.

Top gainers and losers among U.S. market automakers in February 2022 sales based on estimates from Ward's Intelligence.

Top gainers.

1. Tesla, up 74%
  2. BMW, up 21.4%
  3. Hyundai, up 10.2%
  4. Mazda, up 8.3%
  5. Porsche, up 7.7%

Top losers.

1. Nissan, down 28.6%
  2. Jaguar-Land Rover, down 28.4%
  3. Volkswagen, down 21.4%
  4. Ford, down 21.1%
  5. Honda, down 20.6%
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, coupe3w said:

With gas prices so high I'm sure glad Ford makes V6 TT and 4 cylinder trucks and SUV's. Imagine how much worse it could have been if they continued to make cars.

Ford’s research revealed that even if gas prices spiked, buyers wouldn’t go back to cars,

they would choose more fuel efficient versions of trucks and utilities - hybrids and PHEVs.

We’re now so close to Lightning arriving and showing the future that’s free of gas prices…

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

I’m wondering if ford shot themselves in the foot with pushing out 4 new vehicles during the pandemic (bronco sport, bronco, Maverick and mach-e). You can’t release a vehicle and not have any to sell, so ford is forced to give some of its limited chip supply to vehicles like the Maverick and bronco sport which probably don’t pull in as much money as f150, explorer, etc. 

I would have still proceeded with the mach e since it’s only produced in limited numbers and of course the bronco because it’s wildly popular, but it might have been wise to delay the Maverick and the bronco sport. Are sales of those vehicles with declining sales of your money makers?

26 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I’m wondering if ford shot themselves in the foot with pushing out 4 new vehicles during the pandemic (bronco sport, bronco, Maverick and mach-e). You can’t release a vehicle and not have any to sell, so ford is forced to give some of its limited chip supply to vehicles like the Maverick and bronco sport which probably don’t pull in as much money as f150, explorer, etc. 

I would have still proceeded with the mach e since it’s only produced in limited numbers and of course the bronco because it’s wildly popular, but it might have been wise to delay the Maverick and the bronco sport. Are sales of those vehicles with declining sales of your money makers?

Product were planned, money was spent, best to get on and sell what they can. Chip and parts supplies are ebbing and flowing, I’m sure that Ford is rolling with the punches as best ias it can..

With all that went on in 2021, Ford managed to prioritise its most profitable vehicles as examples by the Q4 /2921 financial result. So while it’s out privilege to go back and second guess Ford’s decisions or maybe we should understand that changing plans by the least amount actually costs them less…

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford’s research revealed that even if gas prices spiked, buyers wouldn’t go back to cars,

they would choose more fuel efficient versions of trucks and utilities - hybrids and PHEVs.

We’re now so close to Lightning arriving and showing the future that’s free of gas prices…

Yeah, considering the maverick hybrid is more fuel efficient than most small cars, I don't think rising fuel prices will reduce demand for trucks. As you stated, the lightning is on the way, and the f-150 hybrid is already here. So I just seem people who would have normally purchased a explorer buying an explorer hybrid. Or people who would have bought a f series with the 5.0 getting the hybrid or ev version. 

• Like 2

The biggest problem with gas prices out of control is if they stay too high for too long like in 2008 it can be a factor in a recession starting. I'm convinced these out of control prices especially with real estate can't go on forever without the bubble popping.

Ford needs to find a way to build more Mavericks because if a recession hits that and other small affordable fuel efficient vehicles will be what sells. I remember all the big expensive trucks and SUVs piling up on dealer's lots in 2009.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

The biggest problem with gas prices out of control is if they stay too high for too long like in 2008 it can be a factor in a recession starting. I'm convinced these out of control prices especially with real estate can't go on forever without the bubble popping.

Ford needs to find a way to build more Mavericks because if a recession hits that and other small affordable fuel efficient vehicles will be what sells. I remember all the big expensive trucks and SUVs piling up on dealer's lots in 2009.

I frankly don't think they care because they're trying to push people into EVs, so high gas prices help fit that narrative.

I agree that things are going to have to come down at some point - I don't see it being as bad as '08, but it has to come down.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:05 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I don't think rising fuel prices will reduce demand for trucks. As you stated, the lightning is on the way

Rising gasoline and diesel prices will further augment the already extremely strong demand for BEV pickup trucks like F-150 Lightning. The big things for Ford are ensuring that Ford has the production capacity (including for components like HV batteries) to accommodate that demand, and to make the transition to a 100% electric pickup truck lineup as soon as possible.

22 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Rising gasoline and diesel prices will further augment the already extremely strong demand for BEV pickup trucks like F-150 Lightning. The big things for Ford are ensuring that Ford has the production capacity (including for components like HV batteries) to accommodate that demand, and to make the transition to a 100% electric pickup truck lineup as soon as possible.

That is the big problem going forward. Rivian is in production hell and I don't think Ford has the production ability to make many Lightnings this year. Maybe 15,000 for 2022? Ford still can't make many Escape hybrids/plugins, Maverick and F150 hybrids. Geo/political events add to the uncertainty. The Rivian shit show of past week shows that. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

That is the big problem going forward. Rivian is in production hell and I don't think Ford has the production ability to make many Lightnings this year. Maybe 15,000 for 2022? Ford still can't make many Escape hybrids/plugins, Maverick and F150 hybrids. Geo/political events add to the uncertainty. The Rivian shit show of past week shows that. 

I saw two Escape PIHs at a local dealership this weekend-I was suprised to see them. 

26 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I saw two Escape PIHs at a local dealership this weekend-I was suprised to see them. 

A rare sight indeed. Mullinax has one selling for $43,000. No hybrids on lots. I haven't seen a hybrid on lot in many weeks. And if you do, I bet it will cost more than sticker. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I frankly don't think they care because they're trying to push people into EVs, so high gas prices help fit that narrative.

I agree that things are going to have to come down at some point - I don't see it being as bad as '08, but it has to come down.

Gas gets to $4.50+ a gallon and stays there for awhile it might be much easier to get a Bronco for those who want one.

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

Gas gets to $4.50+ a gallon and stays there for awhile it might be much easier to get a Bronco for those who want one.

While I've been living in a bubble the past year or two with not having going into work and having only fill up 4-5 times since August, in the grand scheme of things gas price suck but aren't that much more expensive:

Gas prices
$3 a gallon at 18MPG over 12k year-$2000 a year
$4 -$2666
$5 -$3333

So that works out to be

$3 a gallon is roughly $38 a week
$4 gallon is roughly $52 a week
$5 gallon is roughly $62 a week

So for every dollar it goes up, your looking at roughly a $600 increase each year at 12K mile. The typical driver does a bit more mileage then that at 14K.