Ford Quality Czar Says Issues Should Subside in 2023

https://fordauthority.com/2022/07/ford-quality-czar-says-issues-should-subside-in-2023/

“In terms of the prevention activities, we are doing work upstream with engineering to improve our understanding of how customers use their vehicles and the things that could go wrong, Halliburton explained. “And we’re making sure that our engineering sign-offs are more robust around those use cases so that the products have less likelihood to fail, which is, I think, very critical to how we move forward in terms of our designs.”

2020-Ford-Explorer-ST-Exterior-Portland-Oregon-Drive-001-front-three-quarters-1024x623.jpg

I'll believe it when I see it! Ford's had quality issues for decades. They always talk about better quality, but it's never been the priority they claim, and instead they continue to spend billions of dollars per year in recall and related expenses. Remember the "Quality is Job 1" campaign theme that ran for years? There's at least one new recall or delivery hold each day, sometimes as many as 5-6.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I'll believe it when I see it! Ford's had quality issues for decades. They always talk about better quality, but it's never been the priority they claim, and instead they continue to spend billions of dollars per year in recall and related expenses. Remember the "Quality is Job 1" campaign theme that ran for years? There's at least one new recall or delivery hold each day, sometimes as many as 5-6.  

What annoys me are issues like the windshields of Broncos and North American Rangers that are improperly attached. That's Tesla-level quality issues.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

Well when you keep deleting features you just eliminate things that can have problems. 

Ford should start refining things they've already got right or sorted out instead of constantly introducing clean-sheet redesigns of software and hardware.
PS: This I think may soon happen at least with the Ford Blue side of the business.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AM222 said:

What annoys me are issues like the windshields of Broncos and North American Rangers that are improperly attached. That's Tesla-level quality issues.

But its also a "common" issue with other products. I know sometimes it was a sealant issue (from the supplier) or someone wasn't checking the robot applying the sealant properly. 

I haven't see what exactly has caused the issue with the Bronco and Ranger and my Bronco was built right after that date...

2 hours ago, AM222 said:

Ford should start refining things they've already got right or sorted out instead of constantly introducing clean-sheet redesigns of software and hardware.
PS: This I think may soon happen at least with the Ford Blue side of the business.

I’ve said the same thing many times.  Look at Toyota and the Camry/Corolla platforms.  Mostly cosmetic changes and minor upgrades.

I don’t see anything new from Blue other than features and top hats.  They don’t need new powertrains or platforms.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, akirby said:

Look at Toyota and the Camry/Corolla platforms.  Mostly cosmetic changes and minor upgrades.

In the past, Toyota had way too many platforms (almost 100 globally) and an uneven product update cadence. Some vehicles such as Camry and Corolla got frequent, major updates. Others like Tundra and J200 Land Cruiser went over a decade without a major redesign.

Toyota addressed this with TNGA. By 2023, 80% of Toyota vehicle globally will be based on one of 6 TNGA platforms. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

But its also a "common" issue with other products. I know sometimes it was a sealant issue (from the supplier) or someone wasn't checking the robot applying the sealant properly. 

I haven't see what exactly has caused the issue with the Bronco and Ranger and my Bronco was built right after that date...

With that one in particular it's probably a bad batch of sealer from a supplier since the window is relatively narrow. 

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

Why fix a good thing.

I didn’t say it was bad.  In terms of quality and cost it’s ideal and they did a good job keeping the top hat fresh.  I just can’t stand it when certain people proclaim the Camry is all new on an all new platform when it’s really not.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

I just can’t stand it when certain people proclaim the Camry is all new on an all new platform when it’s really not.

In the past 20 years, the American Toyota Camry used an all-new platform twice. XV30 (MY 2002, K Platform) and XV70 (MY 2018, TNGA GA-K platform). 

Though they remained on the K Platform, both the XV40 (MY 2007) and XV50 (MY 2012) Camry generations represented major redesigns with all new styling inside and out, and new engines and transmissions as well. XV50 also received a relatively substantial refresh for MY 2015, though no new powertrains were introduced.

9 hours ago, ice-capades said:

https://fordauthority.com/2022/07/ford-quality-czar-says-issues-should-subside-in-2023/

“In terms of the prevention activities, we are doing work upstream with engineering to improve our understanding of how customers use their vehicles and the things that could go wrong, Halliburton explained. “And we’re making sure that our engineering sign-offs are more robust around those use cases so that the products have less likelihood to fail, which is, I think, very critical to how we move forward in terms of our designs.”

2020-Ford-Explorer-ST-Exterior-Portland-Oregon-Drive-001-front-three-quarters-1024x623.jpg

We shall see. But I think it's just more blah, blah.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Though they remained on the K Platform, both the XV40 (MY 2007) and XV50 (MY 2012) Camry generations represented major redesigns with all new styling inside and out, and new engines and transmissions as well. XV50 also received a relatively substantial refresh for MY 2015, though no new powertrains were introduced.

I rest my case.

10 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Well, when you think about it, what else could they say?

Saying that things will get worse would be a career killer.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Well, when you think about it, what else could they say?

Saying that things will get worse would be a career killer.

It’s the right thing to do and it will help but the question remains whether management is committed to keeping it up and whether the right incentives are in place.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s the right thing to do and it will help but the question remains whether management is committed to keeping it up and whether the right incentives are in place.

I know it is and like everyone else I want to believe that for will improve quality

but so much lip service today with people stuck in cost cutting, they either

give back some quality by reducing profit taking or continue disappointing 

people with indifferent delivery….

16 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I agree to an extent, but their quality has gotten better over the last decade imo. Our explorer is almost 6 years old, and has been our most reliable car up to this point. Even the wiper blades are original. That gen of explorers is quite robust and durable apparently, especially the later model years like our '17. Compare our explorer to the dumpster fire that was my parents 80s Tarus/fiesta, and it's no contest.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I know it is and like everyone else I want to believe that for will improve quality

but so much lip service today with people stuck in cost cutting, they either

give back some quality by reducing profit taking or continue disappointing 

people with indifferent delivery….

Has this been the most issues Ford had in the span of 2 months? 
Yesterday I read... "Select 2022 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator models are being recalled over engine rails that may have been improperly heat-treated" -Ford Authority
2 days ago... "Ford is recalling certain models of the 2020 to 2022 Escape, Maverick, and Corsair due to the risk of under-hood fires". -The Verge
2 weeks ago I read... "Ford has issued a recall alert covering about 63,000 vehicles that may have poorly bonded windshields. The recall applies to about 39,000 2022 Bronco SUVs and 24,000 2022 Ranger midsize pickups." -KBB
Last month... "Ford Motor is instructing dealers to temporarily stop selling electric Mustang Mach-E crossovers due to a potential safety defect that could cause the vehicles to become immobile." -CNBC
Last May... "Ford Motor Company is advising customers of certain 2021 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs – built over a four-month period between late 2020 and early 2021 – to park their vehicles outside and away from structures while Ford investigates the cause of under hood fires." -Ford Media Center

2 hours ago, AM222 said:

Has this been the most issues Ford had in the span of 2 months? 
Yesterday I read... "Select 2022 Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator models are being recalled over engine rails that may have been improperly heat-treated" -Ford Authority
2 days ago... "Ford is recalling certain models of the 2020 to 2022 Escape, Maverick, and Corsair due to the risk of under-hood fires". -The Verge
2 weeks ago I read... "Ford has issued a recall alert covering about 63,000 vehicles that may have poorly bonded windshields. The recall applies to about 39,000 2022 Bronco SUVs and 24,000 2022 Ranger midsize pickups." -KBB
Last month... "Ford Motor is instructing dealers to temporarily stop selling electric Mustang Mach-E crossovers due to a potential safety defect that could cause the vehicles to become immobile." -CNBC
Last May... "Ford Motor Company is advising customers of certain 2021 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SUVs – built over a four-month period between late 2020 and early 2021 – to park their vehicles outside and away from structures while Ford investigates the cause of under hood fires." -Ford Media Center

Here's the list of New Vehicle Demonstration/Delivery Holds just since July 1st. 

Ford_Demonstration-Delivery Holds_2022-07-12_01.jpg

Ford_Demonstration-Delivery Holds_2022-07-12_02.jpg

Ford_Demonstration-Delivery Holds_2022-07-12_03.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

^^^^^^^^

Has anyone been fired for any of this?

It's obvious that procedures at suppliers aren't being followed.

The Chicago plant mgr was either fired or replaced over the Explorer launch.  It’s not as easy to switch suppliers and not as easy to hold them accountable if you’re nickel and diming them to death.

It has to come from Farley all the way down to say quality is more important than cost and schedule delays and employees and suppliers will be held accountable.  Not sure he’s gone that far yet.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

It's obvious that procedures at suppliers aren't being followed.

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

It’s not as easy to switch suppliers and not as easy to hold them accountable if you’re nickel and diming them to death.

Ford's rating on the Supplier Working Relations Index declined YOY for 2022 and remains the "Poor-Very Poor" category. 

wrigraph_01.jpg

• Like 1