UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

45 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

And yet everything he showed tonight still illustrates that Ford is ahead of the other two...and yet Fain hit Ford harder by striking Kentucky Truck. If I were Ford I wouldn't negotiate against myself either. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, hllywd said:

And yet everything he showed tonight still illustrates that Ford is ahead of the other two...and yet Fain hit Ford harder by striking Kentucky Truck. If I were Ford I wouldn't negotiate against myself either. 

If I’m Ford, the lockouts would have started the second Fain’s livestream ended 

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If I’m Ford, the lockouts would have started the second Fain’s livestream ended 

Or at least let him feel the branch crack with suggestions that actions have consequences.

and if that doesn’t work, maybe explain to him how Ford could walk away from  least four or five US plants

and set up in Canada and Mexico. Yes, you’ll get your 36% but it comes at a hell of a price…….

Maybe that too harsh but some sort of circuit breaker is needed to be the UAW back to the negotiating table.

Edited by jpd80

19 minutes ago, lcseds said:

The other two caught up to where Ford has been in negotiations and Fain is blowing them kisses. But Ford, who had these offers, is the devil. He has a real hard on for Ford.

Absolutely because Ford has indicated that 36% pay increase is never going to happen.

The GM offer only looks better because of the $40/hr headline offer, it’s still behind the Ford package

56 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Or at least let him feel the branch crack with suggestions that actions have consequences.

and if that doesn’t work, maybe explain to him how Ford could walk away from  least four or five US plants

and set up in Canada and Mexico. Yes, you’ll get your 36% but it comes at a hell of a price…….

Maybe that too harsh but some sort of circuit breaker is needed to be the UAW back to the negotiating table.

We are the ass crack of ford they will not build another plant in Canada lol

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

OK, what about using Oakville plant the way it was intended as a big ass truck plant

That ship sailed when Ontario Truck Plant closed in 2004 and they merged it with Oakville assembly plant. Oakville was the only place they built those old f-150 lightnings. I don’t see trucks going back there and I don’t know what I see in regards to their EV plans there either. 

58 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

That ship sailed when Ontario Truck Plant closed in 2004 and they merged it with Oakville assembly plant. Oakville was the only place they built those old f-150 lightnings. I don’t see trucks going back there and I don’t know what I see in regards to their EV plans there either. 

No question that plans for the Oakville Assembly Plant are a bit of a mystery, even with the plans announced for production of the BEV Explorer and Aviator models. Ford has had a history of changing future plant production plans frequently, although it would seem unlikely for much to change at Oakville considering how close they are now timewise to starting the BEV conversion. Right now, I think it's more a question of what other models will be produced there.

Regardless, Ford isn't going to announce anything until after the current UAW strike is settled and I fully expect that Ford's future relationship with the UAW will change. As this UAW strike lingers and Ford's future production costs escalate, I have to assume that Ford is exploring its options for expanding future vehicle production in Mexico.      

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

No question that plans for the Oakville Assembly Plant are a bit of a mystery, even with the plans announced for production of the BEV Explorer and Aviator models. Ford has had a history of changing future plant production plans frequently, although it would seem unlikely for much to change at Oakville considering how close they are now timewise to starting the BEV conversion. Right now, I think it's more a question of what other models will be produced there.

Regardless, Ford isn't going to announce anything until after the current UAW strike is settled and I fully expect that Ford's future relationship with the UAW will change. As this UAW strike lingers and Ford's future production costs escalate, I have to assume that Ford is exploring its options for expanding future vehicle production in Mexico.      

Very good points and their plans are a huge mystery right now. I agree that until this strike is over there will be no announcements about anything. I don’t doubt at all that they will consider expanding in Mexico or elsewhere. I feel like their electrification plans are hitting a major snag right now. Their sales forecasts are not being reached so I’m feeling skeptical I hope the situation improves. We have been told by union the last Nautitlus out of final is December 5th. No specific date for edge yet in 2024. Only vague retool info. I hope ford gets this right down the road this EV planning I mean. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

Very good points and their plans are a huge mystery right now. I agree that until this strike is over there will be no announcements about anything. I don’t doubt at all that they will consider expanding in Mexico or elsewhere. I feel like their electrification plans are hitting a major snag right now. Their sales forecasts are not being reached so I’m feeling skeptical I hope the situation improves. We have been told by union the last Nautitlus out of final is December 5th. No specific date for edge yet in 2024. Only vague retool info. I hope ford gets this right down the road this EV planning I mean. 

Thanks for your feedback! Nothing would please me more than seeing Ford produce vehicles at Oakville that will fully utilize the plant's potential. Even better would be to see Ford expand its production in Canada at either Oakville or an additional site. Unfortunately, if the Unifor contracts are similar to whatever the next UAW contract terms are, additional production capacity in Canada may be cost prohibitive. If so, Ford's best option is expanding future production in Mexico considering lower costs overall including trade agreements. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Thanks for your feedback! Nothing would please me more than seeing Ford produce vehicles at Oakville that will fully utilize the plant's potential. Even better would be to see Ford expand its production in Canada at either Oakville or an additional site. Unfortunately, if the Unifor contracts are similar to whatever the next UAW contract terms are, additional production capacity in Canada may be cost prohibitive. If so, Ford's best option is expanding future production in Mexico considering lower costs overall including trade agreements. 

All I’m thinking is that the belligerence of the UAW insisting on 36%-40% pay rise might force Ford to do something radical like moving key production out of harms way. If push comes to shove, Oakville being a large facility would definitely  be one plant looked at for large vehicle production.

That’s kind of a doomsday perspective but Ford’s moves to condense its production  and improve profits has made it vulnerable to strike action……it’s like Ford forgot all about that because the UAW played nice for so many years.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

……it’s like Ford forgot all about that because the UAW played nice for so many years.

Out of the Detroit Three, Ford by far has/had the best relationship.

Interesting interview with Bill Ford in the New York Times earlier this week.  He cautioned the Ford bargaining team not to take any comments made public personally, and to be patient.  He went on to say that he knows many of the guys on the UAW team, and plays hockey with several of them on a local beer-league team, and considers them friends.  I suspect they could hammer out a contract fairly quickly if it wasn’t for Mr. Fain.

• Like 1

I think at this point people need to start asking the real motivation behind Mr. Fain's desire to destroy the automakers. Who's pulling the strings above this person? Who's he really working for? Is it the UAW employees or is it other interests that gain to benefit if the US automakers are harmed beyond repair.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I think at this point people need to start asking the real motivation behind Mr. Fain's desire to destroy the automakers. Who's pulling the strings above this person? Who's he really working for? Is it the UAW employees or is it other interests that gain to benefit if the US automakers are harmed beyond repair.

I think he’s looking to expand the UAW starting with new battery plants and I think he believes (incorrectly) that this will result in the employees at Tesla and the transplants organizing and joining the UAW.   If anything it will be the opposite.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

No, this is old fashioned union strong arm tactics, they cannot conceive of a situation where the pay increases being asked for sends a company broke. In all truth, they probably wouldn’t but would undo most of Ford’s labor savings achieved over the past 10-15 years.

And this is why Ford needs to send a message that these actions have consequences………

• Like 3

13 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Reading between the lines of some of his Friday comments, it appears that Fain is more interested in growing the union than he is in obtaining an agreement.

7 hours ago, hllywd said:

Fain said Friday that the days of Ford and UAW being friends are over. ?‍♂️

Bill Ford’s relationship with the UAW started long before Fain and will last long after.  He’s just digging himself a hole that he’s not going to get out of.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Bill Ford’s relationship with the UAW started long before Fain and will last long after.  He’s just digging himself a hole that he’s not going to get out of.

Who, Fain? I would agree but I fear he’s going to be re-elected in however many years when he’s up for it. 

• Like 1