UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

30 minutes ago, Dequindre said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Flat Rock Plant if the UAW has guaranteed its existence for a few years. Will it continue to just produce one vehicle? 

That plant design stinks.  It's small and chopped-up inside.  It's always been a good running plant with good people, too, and Ford has had so many ideas for what to do there but....

...then the Ops folks go "oh, you can't do this there" and "you can't do that there" so it just seems to have no grand plans for it.  I was told years ago if it wasn't for environmental concerns (and cost I'm sure) they'd tear it down and re-build a plant the right way on the same land.  

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I’ve seen them force retirement before if you’re a big enough fuck up. It was either retire by the end of the day on a certain day or be fire and lose everything. I expect to see far more of that. 

with covered employees?  Supervisors yes, but guys in the barganing unit?

17 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you say so. My personal experience says otherwise. 

Well that's sad to hear.  One of my best friends was fairly high up in Manufacuring at Ford until a few years ago - he was always the one with the inside scoops at all the plants.   (He was on a long-term personal mission to get Chicago closed and he says it's his biggest career regret that place is still running....LOL.)  That being said, he, and some others I knew, used to say good things about Flat Rock outside of the building itself.  Maybe things have gone downhill in the past few years.  

1 hour ago, Dequindre said:

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Flat Rock Plant if the UAW has guaranteed its existence for a few years. Will it continue to just produce one vehicle? 

We're gonna hear more about Ford's future product allocations this weekend supposedly. I believe someone in the know said Sunday, so we should find out then. 

9 hours ago, iamweasel said:

Well that's sad to hear.  One of my best friends was fairly high up in Manufacuring at Ford until a few years ago - he was always the one with the inside scoops at all the plants.   (He was on a long-term personal mission to get Chicago closed and he says it's his biggest career regret that place is still running....LOL.)  That being said, he, and some others I knew, used to say good things about Flat Rock outside of the building itself.  Maybe things have gone downhill in the past few years.  

...and now under the new contract, with the union's ability to strike over plant closings, it looks like Chicago today, Chicago tomorrow, Chicago forever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

...and now under the new contract, with the union's ability to strike over plant closings, it looks like Chicago today, Chicago tomorrow, Chicago forever.

As far as I'm concerned, giving the UAW the ability to strike over plant closings should have been immediately rejected by Ford and non-negotiable. 

Edited by ice-capades
Revised
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

As far as I'm concerned, giving the UAW the ability to strike over plant closings should have been immediately rejected by Ford and non-negotiable. 

Actually I think it was shrewd on the union's part.  The day after the 2019 contract was ratified Hackett and Co. cancelled the new paint shop scheduled for FRAP that would have allowed that plant to build crossovers and SUVs

47 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Actually I think it was shrewd on the union's part.  The day after the 2019 contract was ratified Hackett and Co. cancelled the new paint shop scheduled for FRAP that would have allowed that plant to build crossovers and SUVs

We all know Hackett was a buffoon in way over his head in an industry he knew nothing about.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Agree..I did not realize that was a part of the package...then again maybe mgmt thinks the union would have a mutiny if it decided to pull "survivors" out on the street.

In any case, with labor cost going up so much. I would think any facility that is not at a high utilization rate will be suspect.  Then add the long term..note long term...picture when EV's finally make sense and can stand on their own without subsidies. what does that mean as far as engines, transmissions etc.

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

That is the point, if shrewd on union's part, dumb on Ford's.

5 hours ago, Footballfan said:

I think the final line can build anything.  The paint shop can only accommodate a coupe, sedan, or wagon.  

The overhead conveyors are set pretty low there, limiting the height of skifs but 

I think the honest truth is that the only reason it’s still open is because of the Mustang.

Bill Ford wants products to be manufactured in the USA, he doesn’t want to move out of town to Mexico and Canada but I think ther must be some balance and protection built into security of production and if that means having a plant or two elsewhere then he must consider it as an obligation to the business and stockholders.

Louisville building compact BEVs is not a good idea

Oakville building swoopy 3-row BEVs is not a good idea

Allowing the UAW to walk in and organise future BEV plants in right to work states is not a good idea….

There’s a whole bunch of bad ideas coming out of Ford, they need to go back to the drawing board.

Edited by jpd80

22 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If you say so. My personal experience says otherwise. 

Fuzzy when were you at Flat Rock? I was a guest of AAI from May/2003 until Feb/2007 when I returned to Livonia. Was a team leader in unit 17 on the dreaded 6:54PM-5:24AM shift.

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Full contract details will come out at 7pm today. Livestream with Fain and VP Chuck Browning will be on Boomerbook, YouTube, and X formerly Twitter. 

Can't wait, one of the best aspects of UAW negotiations is seeing Ford's future product map. I did see a story earlier today about how the plant that makes the escape will start producing a new EV in 2025, presumably the escape in electric form. We'll learn more tonight.