2025 Mustang GTD Coming with 800+ HP and Rear Mounted Transaxle for $300K

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Im not quite sure you understand this car...or such revelations as pushrod suspension...I dont know about akirby ( hes one that would know ) but this thing , money aside, made my heart skip a beat....cannot wait until it gets tested, maybe that will shut some of the whiners up...especially if it somehow trumps the GT in a side by side.....

IMO it appears that there are two groups here that are looking at this Mustang from completely different angles and might as well be communicating in different languages.  Most prioritize performance above pretty much everything else, while others seem to value other qualities like image, aesthetics, history, etc.  I don’t know what they want exactly, but it’s likely not limited to the fastest street-legal race car.

The original GT40 remains at top of my list if I win the lottery, followed by the first generation GT, so I’m admitting bias.  The second generation GT was a bit over the top for my taste.  This Mustang definitely doesn’t make my heart skip a beat, no matter how fast it ends up being.  Not that it matters to Ford since I’m not going to win the lottery, and will therefore not be buying either.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I am in 100% agreement with you. I have no doubt that it will beat the majority of super cars out there. 

I think the branding is the issue here. Ford used mustang on the mach e because they thought it would improve its image. I think it does the opposite here. If this car can do what ford says it can do, then it deserves a more prestigious name than mustang. 

Think of it this way. Which name do you think other companies would use for their top of the line sports car?

Audi - TT or R8

Toyota - 86 or Supra

chevrolet - Camaro or corvette

dodge - challenger or viper

Honestly, I don’t really care either way, I’m just bored and here for the discussion ?. It’s a cool car for sure, I just think it could have been so much cooler as something else.

problem there is the Mustang styling cues....imagine, as it sits, that they DIDNT call it a Mustang when it is most blatantly styled like one.....imagine the uproar THEN!!!!! lol...and you bring up a competitor thats an intersting parallel...the Corvete....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

IMO it appears that there are two groups here that are looking at this Mustang from completely different angles and might as well be communicating in different languages.  Most prioritize performance above pretty much everything else, while others seem to value other qualities like image, aesthetics, history, etc.  I don’t know what they want exactly, but it’s likely not limited to the fastest street-legal race car.

The original GT40 remains at top of my list if I win the lottery, followed by the first generation GT, so I’m admitting bias.  The second generation GT was a bit over the top for my taste.  This Mustang definitely doesn’t make my heart skip a beat, no matter how fast it ends up being.  Not that it matters to Ford since I’m not going to win the lottery, and will therefore not be buying either.

There are 3 groups.

Its just a mustang no matter what you do to it or how good it is and a mustang should never ever cost that much

They didn’t build what I wanted them to build

It’s a fantastically executed sports car with superior performance that will compete with the best of Europe and they’ll sell all they make.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

There are 3 groups.

Its just a mustang no matter what you do to it or how good it is and a mustang should never ever cost that much

It’s a fantastically executed sports car with superior performance that will compete with the best of Europe and they’ll sell all they make.

I think Im in your court akirby...defitely door #3....this is a LOT more than I was expecting....Ill be REALLY curious if they do a side by side with the actual GT..that woulkd be facinating...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I think Im in your court akirby...defitely door #3....this is a LOT more than I was expecting....Ill be REALLY curious if they do a side by side with the actual GT..that woulkd be facinating...

Has the GT ran the Nurburgring? I can’t seem to find any official times. 

4 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Im not sure to be quite frank....odd thing about certain cars...some suit some tracks better than others....I know when they were racing the GT the drivers were quite candid about the fact their car ( GT ) did and didnt suit certain tracks...

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

I think the extra 140 hp and next Gen active suspension and aero gives the GTD the edge over the GT.  The GT was somewhat hobbled by the LeMans competition rules (e.g. the car was literally built around the 3.5L ecoboost race engine).  It was also built for endurance - driving full bore for 24 hours straight - which the GTD doesn’t have to worry about.

But I bet it will be close.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Not publicly but there is no way Ford says anything about sub 7 minute lap times if they hadn’t already done it or gotten close enough to know they can do it.

I drove it just the other day in my modded Ferrari 458 gt3. I’ll have to try it in my stock Ford GT and a tuned Mustang GT500. ?

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not publicly but there is no way Ford says anything about sub 7 minute lap times if they hadn’t already done it or gotten close enough to know they can do it.

I drove it just the other day in my modded Ferrari 458 gt3. I’ll have to try it in my stock Ford GT and a tuned Mustang GT500. ?

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

We should race, I'll grab my Bugatti. Loser has to sail home on the small yacht. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

We should race, I'll grab my Bugatti. Loser has to sail home on the small yacht.

Just to clarify, I was referring to Gran Turismo 7…….  

With a proper steering wheel and pedals it’s an incredibly realistic simulator.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, akirby said:

There are 3 groups.

I guess I would fit into the middle group, but not necessarily, because they didn’t build what I wanted. Based on the hype, leading up to this, I was expecting an actual mid engine car that was perhaps going to compete with the C8, and when that didn’t happen, it became less interesting to me. It doesn’t mean that I don’t think this car is bad ass, because it clearly is, but just not what I was expecting.  I was ultimately hoping for something that I could afford, but this is certainly not in that category, unless I win the lottery that I never play.  

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Those aren’t slight alterations.  Active suspension,, active aero and the engine are totally new (and illegal for racing).  Maybe the wide body as well.

OK, I obviously said that wrong. Disregard everything I said as this is definitely a heavily modified street vehicle.

What will be interesting to see is how completed  these vehicles are before delivery to Multi-Mac.

I’m dying to see how the carbon fibre panels are attached to the body shell

This is genius from a marketing standpoint.  If they had just done another GT it wouldn’t have attracted all the current GT owners.  But every GT owner is a potential buyer for this.  

Yes, Ford kept GT production going way longer than originally planned, probably could have for another year.

A $300,000 exotic car based on Mustang is IMO still an absolute bargain and I suspect that Ford will end up

relenting and building way more than 2,000 vehicles.

I think it will be very cool that you can watch the gt3/gt4 on the track and go buy an entry level ecoboost, mid level GT, top end Dark Horse or this supercar.

And this is how Ford can keep interest in the Mustang going, amazing to see the effect this new presence has on Mustang ownership.

Chevrolet did similar  with Corvette but I think it missed a lot of the target audience by going rear engine two seat coupe.

Letting Camaro die again is all on GM , not understanding the fans who didn’t like this generation.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Just to clarify, I was referring to Gran Turismo 7…….  

With a proper steering wheel and pedals it’s an incredibly realistic simulator.

I have to get a wheel, I've been going crazy with the engine swaps in that game, but some of them are so insane that trying to drive with a controller is a mess. I swapped an LS in a miata, and it has like 900 hp. Even with max down force and race soft tires, it's constantly trying to kill me.

Lately I've been taking unusual cars, and modding them to take on race cars. There's this Toyota AWD van, modded it to about 600 hp, added down force, sticky tires, and dropped the weight. It was surprisingly good for the le man's 30 mins endurance race. Had to run a lean fuel load the entire time, and shorten some of the higher gears, but it was surprisingly good handling. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tbone said:

I guess I would fit into the middle group, but not necessarily, because they didn’t build what I wanted. Based on the hype, leading up to this.......

Blame Ford Authority for that.  They flat out had it wrong.  Actually, blame the total lack of fact-checking that takes place on any internet site.  The days of getting information right and having it verified by a few sources before they publish is long gone.  Now, if you hear a rumor, you post it as fact ASAP.  

I too, fell for the initial Ford Authority story.  But once I saw the GTD, I am incredibly impressed.  800 horsepower, a carbon-fiber driveshaft, rear transaxle, novel horizontal coli spring rear suspension, ceramic brakes...what's not to like?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I have to get a wheel, I've been going crazy with the engine swaps in that game, but some of them are so insane that trying to drive with a controller is a mess. I swapped an LS in a miata, and it has like 900 hp. Even with max down force and race soft tires, it's constantly trying to kill me.

Lately I've been taking unusual cars, and modding them to take on race cars. There's this Toyota AWD van, modded it to about 600 hp, added down force, sticky tires, and dropped the weight. It was surprisingly good for the le man's 30 mins endurance race. Had to run a lean fuel load the entire time, and shorten some of the higher gears, but it was surprisingly good handling. 

Logitech G29 and a wheel stand pro works great.  Just for fun I took a bone stock Ford GT and Porsche 911 GT3RS and added only racing soft tires and racing brakes.  Then I took a mustang gt3 race car with racing soft tires and a high rpm supercharger.  The Mustang and Porsche were both right around 6:50 while the GT was 7:05.  Seems pretty accurate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Logitech G29 and a wheel stand pro works great.  Just for fun I took a bone stock Ford GT and Porsche 911 GT3RS and added only racing soft tires and racing brakes.  Then I took a mustang gt3 race car with racing soft tires and a high rpm supercharger.  The Mustang and Porsche were both right around 6:50 while the GT was 7:05.  Seems pretty accurate.

Yeah, I have a gt 350 on racing softs with about 900 hp and it'll lap the ring in the high 6:40s after sone tuning. I wouldn't be surprised if the GTD was comparable to that time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

OK, I obviously said that wrong. Disregard everything I said as this is definitely a heavily modified street vehicle.

What will be interesting to see is how completed  these vehicles are before delivery to Multi-Mac.

I’m dying to see how the carbon fibre panels are attached to the body shell

Also curious about that. I was thinking they'd send a bare body in white S650 without the quarter panel stampings (probably unique stamping since based on factory photos the Mustang's quarter panel and sill, B-post, A post etc is one stamping).

Panels are probably bonded to the body with adhesive.

The floorpan/frame will definitely have unique stampings.
2025-ford-mustang-gtd.jpg

Edited by AM222

13 hours ago, T-dubz said:

We all think highly of the mustang because we are Ford fans, but to many people out there, the mustang is just a POS that they could car less about. They believe it would never be on the level of those other super cars. True or not, that is the perception.

Ford obviously didn't make the GTD for those people. Those interested in buying one will also go through an application system like the GT. Plus points for buyers who have Shelbys and/or Ford GTs. ?

Those seriously interested in getting a GTD probably also give importance to what's under the skin. 
2025-ford-mustang-gtd.jpg

Edited by AM222

2 hours ago, AM222 said:

Also curious about that. I was thinking they'd send a bare body in white S650 without the quarter panel stampings (probably unique stamping since based on factory photos the Mustang's quarter panel and sill, B-post, A post etc is one stamping).

Panels are probably bonded to the body with adhesive.

The floorpan/frame will definitely have unique stampings.

I suspect that these could be completed as a rolling chassis without outer panels (added at MultiMac) as it may be easier to install things like engine and drive line as specials on the line - they’re basically bolt ins to the same locations as GT500.

Perhaps on the shell,  the regular steel quarter panels are replaced by small attachment margins?

That would allow the carbon fibre panels to be either glued on or bolted on (suspect MultiMac would add their panels).

Edited by jpd80

39 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I suspect that these could be completed as a rolling chassis without outer panels (added at MultiMac) as it may be easier to install things like engine and drive line as specials on the line - they’re basically bolt ins to the same locations as GT500.

Perhaps on the shell,  the regular steel quarter panels are replaced by small attachment margins?

That would allow the carbon fibre panels to be either glued on or bolted on (suspect MultiMac would add their panels).

About the rolling chassis from Ford, I'm assuming Multimatic manufactures the GTD's unique suspension?

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Not a rolling chassis.  This is a Volvo polestar body in white.  It’s nothing but the shell.

image.thumb.png.96f94a1c2b97e6ce12d61b9b5c7951db.png