FORD ADDS THIRD CREW TO MEET DEMAND FOR BRONCO AND RANGER, REDUCES F-150 LIGHTNING PRODUCTION

47 minutes ago, 70 Stang said:

The article said 3 crews on 2 shifts......how does that work?......or is it a mis-quote.

Weekends

Michigan Assembly Plant will transition to producing vehicles seven days a week versus five currently, with three crews working two shifts.

1 hour ago, 70 Stang said:

The article said 3 crews on 2 shifts......how does that work?......or is it a mis-quote.

A crew will work day shift Monday-Thursday 6am-4:30pm

B Crew works night shift Tuesday-Friday 6pm-4:30am

C crew is day shift Friday & Saturday (6am-4:30pm) and night shift Sunday & Monday (6pm-4:30am)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

C crew is day shift Friday & Saturday (6am-4:30pm) and night shift Sunday & Monday (6pm-4:30am)

Got it!

Very interesting

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wow, C crew has to suck!  Day shift two days, 24 hours off, then night shift two days?  Yuck!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Wow, C crew has to suck!  Day shift two days, 24 hours off, then night shift two days?  Yuck!

I was on it my first 2 years at MAP. Loved it. It’s nice having a 3 day weekend in the middle of the week to be able to actually get stuff done without having to burn personal time. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I was on it my first 2 years at MAP. Loved it. It’s nice having a 3 day weekend in the middle of the week to be able to actually get stuff done without having to burn personal time. 

Plus Saturday night and most of Sunday.  I expect the differential pay is a lot higher?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Plus Saturday night and most of Sunday.  I expect the differential pay is a lot higher?

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

When I was on c crew the shift premium was 10 percent. It changed with the 2015 contract and it’s been tweaked since then. I would have to read what the current contract says but I’m pretty sure Monday is the big money day. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 4:15 AM, rmc523 said:

Hopefully they can start getting the parts they need for the increased production.

I’m wondering about that. Thailand and China parts supply have really ramped up  in the last 6-8 months with more shipments to Australia &New Zealand. So either North America T6 parts supply is back to normal  or being supplemented by parts come from Asia Pacific.

Either way, Ford gets to concentrate on more popular models including more F150s.

Edited by jpd80

But is this to meet DEMAND or just to fulfill a CONTRACT clause?  They'll lose money if it's the latter! Also, reducing EV production is a no-brainer since EV's have quickly lost the interest of the consumer. EV's are seeing their mileage distance cut in half due to the cold temps and they can't even be charged in cold temps!

Edited by Joe771476

2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

But is this to meet DEMAND or just to fulfill a CONTRACT clause?  They'll lose money if it's the latter!

Do you really think Ford is that stupid?  There was no reason to even consider a 3rd shift without expected demand.

Parts shortages have been the holdup otherwise this would have been done 2 years ago.

2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Also, reducing EV production is a no-brainer since EV's have quickly lost the interest of the consumer. EV's are seeing their mileage distance cut in half due to the cold temps and they can't even be charged in cold temps!

Stop spreading lies.  They can be charged in cold weather it just requires an extra step to warm the battery and it’s slower.  And demand for EVs did not go away it just didn’t ramp up as expected.  It’s holding very steady.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, akirby said:

Do you really think Ford is that stupid?  There was no reason to even consider a 3rd shift without expected demand.

Parts shortages have been the holdup otherwise this would have been done 2 years ago.

Stop spreading lies.  They can be charged in cold weather it just requires an extra step to warm the battery and it’s slower.  And demand for EVs did not go away it just didn’t ramp up as expected.  It’s holding very steady.

Clickbait in action

On 1/19/2024 at 11:53 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

Man, how do they handle working 2 day shift and 2 overnights?  That has to mentally/physically screw up your body and sleep patterns.

10 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Man, how do they handle working 2 day shift and 2 overnights?  That has to mentally/physically screw up your body and sleep patterns.

I didn’t find it to be all that bad most weeks. Mondays usually sucked but it was also 10 years ago and I could handle the copious amounts of energy drinks back then. Sunday wasn’t all bad, I would just force myself to stay up as late as I could Saturday night and sleep as late as I could Sunday morning then lay down for about an hour or two in the afternoon before I had to get ready for work. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Early adopters of electric trucks covered, no more (or less) demand of it.  The EV adoption run will be longer, much longer than expected.  
On the other side, fun, big, iconic ICE SUVs and trucks are very popular.  So, Ford is taking the correct choices. 

On 1/21/2024 at 12:14 PM, akirby said:

So why is Hertz dumping 20,000 EV's?  Why did CT's governor call off a vote on mandating all EV's by 2035? Why did Ford lose billions on F150 lightnings? Why have they curbed production on them? As to Ford being stupid, giving away the L-series class 8 biz to Freightliner after having retooled and redesigned it one year earlier back in 1997, dumping Fusion and Taurus and handing over the police cruiser sedan biz to Chrysler/Stelantis,  getting rid of farm tractor biz all to improve shareholder value which wasn't accomplished, does qualify as stupid.

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

So why is Hertz dumping 20,000 EV's?  Why did CT's governor call off a vote on mandating all EV's by 2035? Why did Ford lose billions on F150 lightnings? Why have they curbed production on them? As to Ford being stupid, giving away the L-series class 8 biz to Freightliner after having retooled and redesigned it one year earlier back in 1997, dumping Fusion and Taurus and handing over the police cruiser sedan biz to Chrysler/Stelantis,  getting rid of farm tractor biz all to improve shareholder value which wasn't accomplished, does qualify as stupid.

They're still going to have EVs in the fleet, I think they just aren't keeping them as long as they might've kept others due to higher costs associated with them.

Plus, IMO, rental seems like the worst application for EVs during a transition period, as people don't want to be bothered with figuring out how to charge it while on a trip.

Edited by rmc523