2024 Ford Edge Production Will End In Late April

17 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

What is the Job one date for the Lincoln version? I’m hearing late 2025. 

so. no new real product until 2026? It is really worrying that the plan is to keep the same 4 model lineup like now. 

By that time Cadillac will have 4 EVs.

25 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I've read the 3row looks less like the Star Concept and more like the model that was going to be based on the Rivian platform. 

Maybe that's the reason the Star concept is not on Lincoln's website anymore.

And I thought the Star concept is exactly what the Rivian based model was going to be.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

And I thought the Star concept is exactly what the Rivian based model was going to be.

I don't remember where now, but I've read that the Aviator EV was going to be more like the Aviator ICE and the Rivian based model was going to be more exotic. 

And from what Farley has said, the current 3row EV models are more "exotic"

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

And?  Not seeing the problem here……

do you? really? 

The problem is that the competition is expanding their lineup while Lincoln is going to have the same 4 models for 2 more years 

Edited by joseodiaga4
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

do you? really? 

The problem is that the competition is expanding their lineup while Lincoln is going to have the same 4 models for 2 more years 

But how many EVs will they sell and will they make money?  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

So I suppose that rules out Ford revealing some sort of concept or something in April. You would think with edge production ending, they'd want to tease future product to keep interest and confidence in the plant alive. But if it's not coming until early 2025, I doubt we'll see anything that early on. 

You would think they would have something to show the public by now but it’s under this big shroud of secrecy. It’s been like 5-6 years since these products have been announced  and nada! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

so. no new real product until 2026? It is really worrying that the plan is to keep the same 4 model lineup like now. 

I was listening to the Lincoln boss on a podcast last night and she seems excited about this 4 vehicle strategy. She spoke about the Nautilus and how we have some Aviator news coming soon and an all new Navigator. It was an podcast from Automotive News.

55 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I do agree the plan just doesn’t sound great and she also spoke about reducing Lincoln dealers.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I still think we’ll see C2 hybrid Nautilus and a new hybrid Edge built in either Louisville or Mexico depending on what happens with Escape 

Unfortunately the Edge lost at least 2-3 years.

I hate the fact that this company just killed off the edge the way they did. Makes me sick.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

While a c2 hybrid Edge would be a desirable product in my mind, that sounds too much like the commodity, in Farley's own words "Boring" vehicles that Ford is trying to do away with. I have a hard time seeing how a new edge could align with Ford's new strategy of selling passion products. But at the same time, it's sold well enough that walking away from that segment entirely seems foolish to me. 

Personally, I think Ford should expand the explorer sub-brand with a two row explorer offering. Something that offers similar pricing and market positioning to the previous edge, but has that boxier styling buyers love, and a more iconic name. 

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

If Ford can make a "passion" affordable entry-level truck don't know why they can't do the same with a mid-sized 2-row crossover. And the new Nautilus? I test drove one yesterday and that's about as passionate a vehicle as I could imagine. Sure, it's upscale from the Edge, but it is in a very crowded luxury segment where I think it will do quite well.

I was reading through a facebook comment section on something the other day, and I could only describe the people commenting as "passionate" about how reliable their toyota camrys/rav4s/etc were and that they were never going with another brand because they just work and don't let them down. What non car people want is affordable/fairly efficient for class/RELIABLE. Ford just can't or won't deliver on that last part, so it seems like they're just giving up and building things for the car guy that can fix it their self in their driveway, because it looks cool or makes cool noises/is fast/fun/etc. I honestly don't know if it's the right approach or not, as a car guy it sounds good, but it's blindingly obvious why Ford can't make any progress in what they call "commodity" vehicles. We saw what happened when Bob Lutz was the GM guy building car guy vehicles and Mulally was over here making things efficient and how well Stellantis has done with a stuff a hellcat in everything mantra. Car guy me likes Farley and hopes he figures out a way to make it work, but I'm still skeptical of giving up all this ground on "commodity" vehicles. I understand limited plant capacity and resources and all that, but the new and shiny is going to wear off eventually on the "passion" products unless they just keep delivering unique product that resonates, which historically tends to fade away after a couple generations of a product line.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, akirby said:

But how many EVs will they sell and will they make money?  

You have a point,  I don't know if they will make money, but if other brands can I don't see a reason why Ford can't? 

Also in terms of sales, more models can help a brand like Lincoln that hasn't surpassed 100k units a year for long time

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I was listening to the Lincoln boss on a podcast last night and she seems excited about this 4 vehicle strategy. She spoke about the Nautilus and how we have some Aviator news coming soon and an all new Navigator. It was an podcast from Automotive News.

let's hope they can change the current situation with those models. 

These vehicles should be great and also let's hope there isn't new issues/recalls 

3 hours ago, Willwll313wll said:

Is this a Lincoln version of the 3-row ford ev or is this the "aviator ev" we've heard about?

The aviator EV is the Ford based Lincoln three row from my understanding. 

Edit: But guys, we are getting a bit off topic here. Let's stay focused on the edge, and perhaps what Ford could produce at Oakville once the edge is finished. I'm seeing comments on Cadillac, and other brands, let's just stay on topic please. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

1 hour ago, akirby said:

And?  Not seeing the problem here……

To me it doesn’t matter if they are EVs or not, but a couple of additional models to sell would be helpful.  

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

I hate the fact that this company just killed off the edge the way they did. Makes me sick.

Yep, poor product planning as far as I’m concerned.  Now that production will be ending, what happens to you all of you workers? Do you go on unemployment? Does the union supplement the loss of income associated with unemployment, or does Ford? How does this work?

This is kind of how humans speak to each other, we move around topics and have open discussion that are still somewhat on topic but may derail a bit. I'd rather that then discussions dying bc we can't "just talk",. Is it a file room or a forum (little joke to poke the bears <3), is it okay for things to just move freely? Not a free for all of course but ykwim.

I'll follow the rules and moderations of course, but I did want to ask genuinely.

I always think of these paths when you guys step in hahah.

Least Resistance: How Desire Paths Can Lead to Better Design - 99% InvisibleUnderstand Design vs User Experience

• Like 1

I see Edge buyers and the Ford 3 row EV as different consumers. I'd love to see a graph of how Ford see's their vehicles offerings and how they may or may not overlap.

I'm guessing the EV will be just a tad bigger than the Mach E/Model Y, but not as big as a future Explorer EV (if that's still in the pipeline).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oacjay98 said:

"Aviator news coming soon" is probably just the goofy-looking (too) light refresh finally debuting.

---

I sketched this a few years ago - the right two are a bit low/wide to be realistic, but was my idea of a new Lincoln product:

lincoln.thumb.jpg.304378a30b32c52bcc727faac6b1a893.jpg

---

Getting back to Edge - I think maybe we're mis-interpreting Farley's words about commodity product.

In the sense that its excitement factor needs to be amped up so that it generates its own passionate fans that are willing to pay an elevated price over the competition.  Sort of how Mach E started as a compliance car, and was injected with "passion" via Mustang cues and association.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

"Aviator news coming soon" is probably just the goofy-looking (too) light refresh finally debuting.

---

I sketched this a few years ago - the right two are a bit low/wide to be realistic, but was my idea of a new Lincoln product:

lincoln.thumb.jpg.304378a30b32c52bcc727faac6b1a893.jpg

---

Getting back to Edge - I think maybe we're mis-interpreting Farley's words about commodity product.

In the sense that its excitement factor needs to be amped up so that it generates its own passionate fans that are willing to pay an elevated price over the competition.  Sort of how Mach E started as a compliance car, and was injected with "passion" via Mustang cues and association.

Cool design.

I agree with your interpretation of his comments. It would explain at least a small part of why some of these products we may have seen by now were pushed back; some of it is design changes.

Edited by Willwll313wll

As tepid as the market is for full EVs, as quickly as Ford has drawn back on its grandiose EV sales goals, and as little as Ford has done to improve the range of its current EVs, let's hope the 7-passenger replacement for the Edge is at least a plug-in hybrid.  Ford--nor the market--needs another 200-mile functional range EV vehicle. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoomerSooner said:

As tepid as the market is for full EVs, as quickly as Ford has drawn back on its grandiose EV sales goals, and as little as Ford has done to improve the range of its current EVs, let's hope the 7-passenger replacement for the Edge is at least a plug-in hybrid.  Ford--nor the market--needs another 200-mile functional range EV vehicle. 

Expect it to be a full EV with more than 200 miles.

Edited by Willwll313wll

3 hours ago, tbone said:

To me it doesn’t matter if they are EVs or not, but a couple of additional models to sell would be helpful.  

Yep, poor product planning as far as I’m concerned.  Now that production will be ending, what happens to you all of you workers? Do you go on unemployment? Does the union supplement the loss of income associated with unemployment, or does Ford? How does this work?

We get unemployment from government and we get supplemental  unemployment benefit from ford. It will be the equivalent of 70 percent of regular wage. 

8 hours ago, akirby said:

I think a 2 row Explorer would be too heavy and too expensive compared to C2.  And it can’t use the C2 hybrid system.  C2 edge could use either the escape, Corsair or nautilus hybrid system and would be lighter and cheaper.  Just give it edgier styling and the high tech Chinese interior.

Is it possible for Ford to bring the evos here? I know initially, they said they didn't have plans to. But it's been well received, it's c2 based so it can use many of those components, it has sportier and more aggressive styling than the edge that would appeal to American consumers more than the current edge does. Seems like it would go over well here. 

9 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

If Ford can make a "passion" affordable entry-level truck don't know why they can't do the same with a mid-sized 2-row crossover. And the new Nautilus? I test drove one yesterday and that's about as passionate a vehicle as I could imagine. Sure, it's upscale from the Edge, but it is in a very crowded luxury segment where I think it will do quite well.

Ford already has multiple midsized two row passion oriented utilities in the form of the bronco, and mach-e. The challenge as I see it, is Ford doesn't want to make boring appliances anymore, but the bronco and the mach-e don't appeal to a lot of the edge owners I've talked to for a variety of reasons. So Ford doesn't want to keep producing the edge as is, but their more exciting offerings in the two row space aren't really appealing to edge owners either. An evos design with the maverick hybrid system could be something that captivates edge buyers without cannibalizing bronco and mach-e sales, but Ford seems opposed to bringing the evos here. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Is it possible for Ford to bring the evos here? I know initially, they said they didn't have plans to. But it's been well received, it's c2 based so it can use many of those components, it has sportier and more aggressive styling than the edge that would appeal to American consumers more than the current edge does. Seems like it would go over well here. 

Ford already has multiple midsized two row passion oriented utilities in the form of the bronco, and mach-e. The challenge as I see it, is Ford doesn't want to make boring appliances anymore, but the bronco and the mach-e don't appeal to a lot of the edge owners I've talked to for a variety of reasons. So Ford doesn't want to keep producing the edge as is, but their more exciting offerings in the two row space aren't really appealing to edge owners either. An evos design with the maverick hybrid system could be something that captivates edge buyers without cannibalizing bronco and mach-e sales, but Ford seems opposed to bringing the evos here. 

Take a careful look at the Evos, it looks very much like an ICE MACH-E. You may disagree with me but it does look like the Mach-E. It would’ve been nice if Ford had put Hybrids in the Edge/Nautilus years ago not wait til they discontinue them in N/A them import the Nautilus.

• Like 2