Ford May Postpone New EV Launches Amid Strategy Reboot

ice-capades

24 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I’m beginning to wonder, maybe do your own digging, 

if planned demolition is still on track, that’s probably a good sign..

I think I need to relax lol. We’re done next month I expect Ford to release more pertinent information soon.  Contractors are here with blueprints, so it must be still on track. I don’t believe Borg and his 2027 rumor at all. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Contractors are here with blueprints, so it must be still on track. I don’t believe Borg and his 2027 rumor at all. 

Yeah, it doesn't make a ton of sense. I believe he said they were redesigning the three rows to ride on the CE1 platform. That would essentially mean they were starting over from scratch to design and engineer around a completely different platform. That would be insane considering the three rows are nearing the end of their development. 

If we look at what others have said, it sounds like he heard people talking about the CE1 EVs being pushed back by a few years, and someone else talking about the three rows, and somewhere along the way, he thought it meant the three row was getting delayed to to built on CE1. Just getting information mixed up, I don't believe he has an ill intentions, just bad info. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, it doesn't make a ton of sense. I believe he said they were redesigning the three rows to ride on the CE1 platform. That would essentially mean they were starting over from scratch to design and engineer around a completely different platform. That would be insane considering the three rows are nearing the end of their development. 

If we look at what others have said, it sounds like he heard people talking about the CE1 EVs being pushed back by a few years, and someone else talking about the three rows, and somewhere along the way, he thought it meant the three row was getting delayed to to built on CE1. Just getting information mixed up, I don't believe he has an ill intentions, just bad info. 

Correct, Instead of beating up on the source we should wait for confirmation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I agree because I’m seeing tons of contractors on site doing prep work. They’re starting to bring in more materials and equipment obviously because the retool project starts soon. So his information doesn’t make sense. I don’t think there is any bad intentions either. 

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I totally agree, the information will be coming soon I’m sure. Between now and April 26 I expect Ford to go into further detail.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I’ve always felt his info was true - at some point and/or that pieces of his info were true, but perhaps the pieces were put together wrong.

i don’t think he’s ever made things up just to be “the source.”

but what I think happens is that plans change since he got the info (we know how Ford likes to take a “spin the wheel” approach daily with its plans), so that by the time he shares it, the info - or at least parts of it - become outdated, OR that he misinterprets some things, that then result in speculation that winds up being off.

The problem was he viewed his info - and perhaps more importantly, his interpretation of that info - as absolute gospel.  If he were here and we for example pointed out that contractors are there now (as some have above), so his timeline doesn’t make the most sense, and that maybe some bits and pieces of what he shared may have gotten crossed up which then paint a slightly different picture than reality, he’d have gone on a tirade that none of us know what we’re talking about, his info is the only correct info, everything else is wrong.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I’ve always felt his info was true - at some point and/or that pieces of his info were true, but perhaps the pieces were put together wrong.

but what I think happens is that plans change since he got the info (we know how Ford likes to take a “spin the wheel” approach daily with its plans), so that by the time he shares it, the info - or at least parts of it - become outdated, OR that he misinterprets some things, that then result in speculation that winds up being off.

The problem was he viewed his info - and perhaps more importantly, his interpretation of that info - as absolute gospel.  If he were here and we for example pointed out that contractors are there now (as some have above), so his timeline doesn’t make the most sense, and that maybe some bits and pieces of what he shared may have gotten crossed up which then paint a slightly different picture than reality, he’d have gone on a tirade that none of us know what we’re talking about, his info is the only correct info, everything else is wrong.

I like to keep an open mind on this and  if demolition begins at Oakville in the next few months, it’s safe to say that Ford is proceeding with a new product for there…..

Could there be a change of products that could be built in the same time frame? Sure but Ford would want to be well convinced that another change is warranted.

Ford is still selling a decent amount of BEVs, just not the steeping amounts it thought twelve or eighteen months ago. That pull back may be convincing to delay the start of those next Gen BEVs while Lightning and Mach E continue to be the advanced guard for Ford’s BEVs. 40,000 in inventory, so it’s time for Ford to show that it can keep sales going, even when the market wants to slow up. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:26 AM, rmc523 said:

I took upon myself to message Borg in regards to his information. He is standing by this information in regards to further delay of 3 row EV.  I said that I’ll take it with a grain of salt and I have a hard time wrapping my head around a 2027 timeline.  I will wait til FOMOCO decides to state what their plans are.

• Like 1

I don’t know, I could see 2027, it’s not that far away. This picture I believe came from a car scoops article on 2/2/23. That’s over a year ago and we haven’t seen or heard much else about this. If this is supposed to come out in 2025, I would think we would have seen at least some camo covered spy pics by now.

Now, I haven’t seen an article specify if this thing is supposed to come out in calendar year 2025 or MY2025, but other MY2025 vehicles have had their spy pics out for months now.

Here’s my theory about BORGs comments. Maybe it was originally supposed to come out in the later half of 2025 as a 2026 model. Maybe BORGs source said it was delayed to 2027, but he actually meant MY2027. If that’s the case, the vehicle is only actually being delayed one year.

Ford-Lincoln-Mystery-Concept-Scoop-1024x

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I don’t know, I could see 2027, it’s not that far away. This picture I believe came from a car scoops article on 2/2/23. That’s over a year ago and we haven’t seen or heard much else about this. If this is supposed to come out in 2025, I would think we would have seen at least some camo covered spy pics by now.

Now, I haven’t seen an article specify if this thing is supposed to come out in calendar year 2025 or MY2025, but other MY2025 vehicles have had their spy pics out for months now.

Here’s my theory about BORGs comments. Maybe it was originally supposed to come out in the later half of 2025 as a 2026 model. Maybe BORGs source said it was delayed to 2027, but he actually meant MY2027. If that’s the case, the vehicle is only actually being delayed one year.

Hard to say. While we haven't seen any prototypes with finalized production body work, there were some prototypes testing the platform for the three row, just using the mach-e body. That was years ago, but we haven't seen much sense. 

It is worth noting that unlike ICE products, where you have to create a Frankenstein's monster hacked up prototype to fit around the mechanicals, with how packaging friendly modern EV platforms are, brands can test upcoming EV platforms under existing bodies, and no-one can really tell. T3 has apparently been testing on public roads for months, if not years by this points, using the current lightning body to blend in with traffic. That's what some insiders have claimed at least. 

8 hours ago, T-dubz said:

If true at all it has to be model year 2027 and not actually in 2027. 2027 makes absolutely no sense to me for these products. I seen that pic and I don’t like what I see, it’s under tarp though so who knows.

4 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Hard to say. While we haven't seen any prototypes with finalized production body work, there were some prototypes testing the platform for the three row, just using the mach-e body. That was years ago, but we haven't seen much sense. 

It is worth noting that unlike ICE products, where you have to create a Frankenstein's monster hacked up prototype to fit around the mechanicals, with how packaging friendly modern EV platforms are, brands can test upcoming EV platforms under existing bodies, and no-one can really tell. T3 has apparently been testing on public roads for months, if not years by this points, using the current lightning body to blend in with traffic. That's what some insiders have claimed at least. 

Yep I agree and we all know that the truck and these other vehicles have been under development for years. We all know it probably takes at 3-5 years to develop these vehicles.

17 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

I took upon myself to message Borg in regards to his information. He is standing by this information in regards to further delay of 3 row EV.  I said that I’ll take it with a grain of salt and I have a hard time wrapping my head around a 2027 timeline.  I will wait til FOMOCO decides to state what their plans are.

Whatever the outcome it's out of our control. Usually our suppliers get the information before we do, so if any of them start talking about it I would be more inclined to believe what this BORG guy is saying. Either way, doesn't Ford have to pay us when our EI runs out?

There were rumours going around about keeping the engine line and gas fill around, have you heard that?

Yep, I heard it from a State contractor guy in here and other people in regards to retaining the gas line here. We will get info soon enough, it is out of our hands. I also think the edge being extended 2 years is total crap. As far as your question in regards to Employment Insurance it’s also contingent on seniority. Veteran workers get sub and EI for two years I know that much. 

16 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

You’re talking attribute prototypes, we saw the wider GE2 drivetrain under a current Mach E top hat, that was last year. Unlike ICE field reliability trials, there much less to do with a BEV, save for checking HVAC systems and general driving….

Oakville is a big complex and probably capable of building multiple vehicle types possibly build hybrids, PHEVs and a true BEV in the one complex. It’s also a valuable export hub to USA, Europe and ROW markets like they did with Edge a few years ago.

When Ford does a major reevaluation of its plans, it always goes through everything, runs multiple what ifs and whether delays are better for business. I see them pushing back or slowing down a lot of BEV projects, they’re just not needed as quickly as previously forecast. Ford knows it needs to press harder with hybrids but not at the expense of its BEV future so there’s a complex dynamic going on. In the ned it’s all comes down to ROI in the short term paying for the future.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 4:53 PM, jpd80 said:

You’re talking attribute prototypes, we saw the wider GE2 drivetrain under a current Mach E top hat, that was last year. Unlike ICE field reliability trials, there much less to do with a BEV, save for checking HVAC systems and general driving….

Oakville is a big complex and probably capable of building multiple vehicle types possibly build hybrids, PHEVs and a true BEV in the one complex. It’s also a valuable export hub to USA, Europe and ROW markets like they did with Edge a few years ago.

When Ford does a major reevaluation of its plans, it always goes through everything, runs multiple what ifs and whether delays are better for business. I see them pushing back or slowing down a lot of BEV projects, they’re just not needed as quickly as previously forecast. Ford knows it needs to press harder with hybrids but not at the expense of its BEV future so there’s a complex dynamic going on. In the ned it’s all comes down to ROI in the short term paying for the future.

Ford is just a bit too quiet on the subject of these vehicles. I truly believe something is up and there is plan changing going on.  I agree with your points as they are valid.

• Like 2

LOW COST FORD EV ARRIVES IN LATE 2026 WITH $25K MSRP: REPORT

According to an unnamed source, less than 100 people are currently working on this low-cost Ford EV project, which will utilize a brand new dedicated platform. However, that platform won’t just underpin one affordable EV – but rather, a compact SUV, a small pickup, and possibly even another model that could be used for ride-sharing purposes. The first of these new Ford EV models is slated to launch in late 2026 with a price tag of around $25,000.

At first, these cheap EVs will reportedly utilize a lithium-iron phosphate battery due to the fact that this chemistry is around 30 percent cheaper than a lithium-ion unit, but Ford is reportedly looking at other types of battery tech in an effort to further reduce costs.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/low-cost-ford-ev-arrives-in-late-2026-with-25k-msrp-report/

50 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

LOW COST FORD EV ARRIVES IN LATE 2026 WITH $25K MSRP: REPORT

According to an unnamed source, less than 100 people are currently working on this low-cost Ford EV project, which will utilize a brand new dedicated platform. However, that platform won’t just underpin one affordable EV – but rather, a compact SUV, a small pickup, and possibly even another model that could be used for ride-sharing purposes. The first of these new Ford EV models is slated to launch in late 2026 with a price tag of around $25,000.

At first, these cheap EVs will reportedly utilize a lithium-iron phosphate battery due to the fact that this chemistry is around 30 percent cheaper than a lithium-ion unit, but Ford is reportedly looking at other types of battery tech in an effort to further reduce costs.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/low-cost-ford-ev-arrives-in-late-2026-with-25k-msrp-report/

Mexico

THREE ROW FORD EXPLORER EV LIKELY DELAYED AMID PIVOT: REPORT

According to a new report from Bloomberg, the three-row Ford Explorer EV seems likely to be delayed as The Blue Oval continues to tweak its future electrified strategy.

According to an unnamed source, “plans for an electric three-row SUV have been delayed,” which is notable because this is the first time we’ve heard that FoMoCo’s change of strategy could impact production of the long-rumored Ford Explorer EV for America. In fact, CEO Jim Farley has spoken at length about what this future model could look like, noting that it will have a large frunk, Pro Power Onboard,  sleek styling, and 350 miles of range.

It’s unclear if the Ford Explorer will in fact be delayed as a result of this strategy shift, but Farley has made it quite clear that developing cheap EVs is a “non-negotiable,” and also revealed that a skunkworks team has been working on such a project for two years now.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/three-row-ford-explorer-ev-likely-delayed-amid-pivot-report/

2 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

THREE ROW FORD EXPLORER EV LIKELY DELAYED AMID PIVOT: REPORT

According to a new report from Bloomberg, the three-row Ford Explorer EV seems likely to be delayed as The Blue Oval continues to tweak its future electrified strategy.

According to an unnamed source, “plans for an electric three-row SUV have been delayed,” which is notable because this is the first time we’ve heard that FoMoCo’s change of strategy could impact production of the long-rumored Ford Explorer EV for America. In fact, CEO Jim Farley has spoken at length about what this future model could look like, noting that it will have a large frunk, Pro Power Onboard,  sleek styling, and 350 miles of range.

It’s unclear if the Ford Explorer will in fact be delayed as a result of this strategy shift, but Farley has made it quite clear that developing cheap EVs is a “non-negotiable,” and also revealed that a skunkworks team has been working on such a project for two years now.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/03/three-row-ford-explorer-ev-likely-delayed-amid-pivot-report/

From the Bloomberg article:

Ford is responding by pivoting its attention from big EVs to smaller, low-cost ones. As a result, plans for an electric three-row SUV have been delayed, say people familiar with the change who asked not to be identified disclosing internal plans.

So basically they are quoting people who may or may not exist and might be just collecting data from unfounded internet rumors...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

From the Bloomberg article:

So basically they are quoting people who may or may not exist and might be just collecting data from unfounded internet rumors...

Or some guy on GMI that likes to assimilate people…..

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, akirby said:

Or some guy on GMI that likes to assimilate people…..

This 3 row EV delay is now on multiple sites including car and driver, if Borg is truly wrong then his information spread like a damn virus. 

25 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

This 3 row EV delay is now on multiple sites including car and driver, if Borg is truly wrong then his information spread like a damn virus. 

Yeah they are repeating the same bullshit

Just like the Bronco Sport was going to be called the Bronco Scout or whatever other rumor comes about that gets page views.

7 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah they are repeating the same bullshit

Just like the Bronco Sport was going to be called the Bronco Scout or whatever other rumor comes about that gets page views.

It’s on a lot of these automotive sites now. It’s got me believing it’s true. Explorer dude did clearly say March 2025 but now I’m seeing this crap all over the place. I’m pissed off, can’t help it. I’m a sucker if this is just a horrible rumor and misinformation lol. I see contractors at work moving in equipment so I’m seeing things seemingly proceed as normal then I’m reading all this 3 row EV delay crap. Take it all with a grain of salt I guess and wait til we get the letter from ford at work by April 26th as to what the hell is going on! 

Edited by Oacjay98

Just now, Oacjay98 said:

It’s on a lot of these automotive sites now. It’s got me believing it’s true. Explorer dude did clearly say March 2025 but now I’m seeing this crap all over the place. I’m pissed off, can’t help it. I’m a sucker if this is just a horrible rumor and misinformation lol. I see contractors at work moving in equipment so I’m seeing things seemingly proceed as normal then I’m reading all this 3 row EV delay crap. Take it all with a grain of salt and wait til we get the letter from ford at work by April 26th as to what the hell is going on! 

The thing is that automotive news sites (well most news) just repeat the same story over and over with no additional information that has been reported already. 

• Like 1