2025 Dodge Charger (Daytona) EV Leaked, But the Sedan's Return Is the Major Surprise

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60047406/2024-dodge-charger-daytona-ev-revealed/

I'm very conflicted about this thing. I said while the concept didn't translate very well to production, it still looked better than Dodge's current charger and challenger. Now I'm not so sure seeing it from all these angles. Something just looks off. Not sure if anyone agrees. 

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

So now that the charger is a two, and a four door, does that mean there are no plans to come out with a new two door challenger? 

That seems to be what is happening. 

Plus ICE and EV versions 

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

That seems to be what is happening. 

Plus ICE and EV versions 

Interesting, well I suppose that enables dodge to appeal to the two and four door demographics while drastically reducing development costs by making the two and four door the same design and platform. 

I predict this thing is either going to do surprisingly well, or it's gonna crash and burn. Time will tell. 

I don't know - much like the "concept" - this thing really doesn't do anything for me.  I think my problem stems from how design-wise it seems more like a refresh rather than some leap of design to a next generation.  It looks like they took a Challenger front end and grafted it onto a Charger and called it a day.

• Like 1

I can't see how even lower level versions of this model, both EV and twin turbo six, will cost less than $60,000.  No more versions in the low 30's as with the current V6 model. 

4 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

So now that the charger is a two, and a four door, does that mean there are no plans to come out with a new two door challenger? 

I wonder if maybe they will have a smaller car on the next Alfa Romeo Gulia platform to make a Challenger at a later date. Then they could do a 2 and 4 door of that as well. 

So apparently, the inline 6 is running 26 lbs of boost from factory. So this is an engine built to Stelantis reliability standards running 26 lbs of boost. That's the definition of sketchy in my mind. 

Edited by DeluxeStang

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I don't know - much like the "concept" - this thing really doesn't do anything for me.  I think my problem stems from how design-wise it seems more like a refresh rather than some leap of design to a next generation.  It looks like they took a Challenger front end and grafted it onto a Charger and called it a day.

Me either.  I actually like the outgoing Challenger and Charger, but I personally don’t like the two styles combined together.  This thing looks generic to me.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Handler said:

It looks pretty odd. 

A bit odd but still good looking.   
2024-dodge-charger-daytona.jpg

The Mach E is another case of odd but good looking. I just wish its stubby body was a bit slimmer and sleeker.
2022-ford-mustang-mach-e-gt-exterior.jpg
Has the height of an SUV/CUV but with the ground clearance of a sedan.

PS: I just realized, without the front R-Wing that gives the new Charger Daytona a traditional silhouette, its front profile would have been closer to the 1999 Charger Concept. 
480px-Dodge_Charger_R-T_Concept_(1708725 

Edited by AM222

16 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

They'll bring the Challenger nameplate back on a two door version of Hornet.

• Haha 2

On 3/6/2024 at 2:58 AM, rmc523 said:

It looks like they took a Challenger front end and grafted it onto a Charger and called it a day.

It's supposed to be inspired by the 1968 Charger. Compared the rounded Challenger, this one has sharper lines and more defined corners.
2024-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-EV-1.jpg
-Motor Trend
1968-dodge-charger-hemi-archived-instrum
-Car and Driver

Edited by AM222

9 hours ago, AM222 said:

It's supposed to be inspired by the 1968 Charger. Compared the rounded Challenger, this one has sharper lines and more defined corners.
2024-Dodge-Charger-Daytona-EV-1.jpg
-Motor Trend
1968-dodge-charger-hemi-archived-instrum
-Car and Driver

I think they should go back to the drawing board.  Is that a Mitsubishi symbol in the grill 🤣

5 hours ago, brucelinc said:

The two door version with the high output ICE engine will be on my short list when time to replace my BMW M550i.    

That seems like a substantial downgrade to me.  What is the draw for you?  

On 3/7/2024 at 2:27 PM, tbone said:

That seems like a substantial downgrade to me.  What is the draw for you?  

It might be but I won't really know if it is a downgrade until I examine and drive one.    The BMW M550i is (was) brilliant for what I like but is no longer being built.   When time to replace mine, I will need to see what is available.    If the last Charger or Challenger Hellcat had been AWD, I would have considered one.   

The draw is a high performance midsize vehicle with an ICE engine, at a reasonable price.   It would also need a high level of content and comfort. 

Edited by brucelinc
  • Like 1