Three-Row Explorer EV Delayed Due to Battery Cost

Posted (edited)

THREE-ROW FORD EXPLORER EV DELAYED DUE TO BATTERY COST

Early last month, FoMoCo announced that it was delaying the production start date of both the three-row Ford Explorer EV for North America (not the existing European model), as well as the next-generation Ford F-150 EV pickup. At the time, the reasoning behind this decision was simple – the automaker wants to focus on getting smaller, cheaper EVs to market first, starting with a $25k crossover riding on a new, low-cost platform that’s set to launch in 2026. However, when speaking during the automaker’s Q1 2024 earnings call with investors, CEO Jim Farley also revealed that something else played a role in the delay of the Ford Explorer EV, specifically.

“And we’re being very consistent about our discipline on profitability. We expect every one of our EVs to make money in the first 12 months, and that is a very disciplined process,” Farley said. “In fact, we delayed the launch of our three-row crossover, which is a great product, two years, not only to match the slower growth in EV but more importantly to take advantage of new battery chemistry and formats to substantially reduce the cost of the batteries for that vehicle. We’ll do everything it takes to be profitable in the first 12 months of our vehicles.”

The forthcoming North American Ford Explorer EV is slated to be produced at the Oakville Assembly plant in Canada, and the retooling of that same facility is set to begin soon following the end of Ford Edge production. That process will still move on as previously expected, but Ford’s decision to delay the production start date of the Explorer EV drew the ire of the Canadian union Unifor, which is working with the automaker to mitigate the impact of this two-year delay on its workers there.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/05/three-row-ford-explorer-ev-delayed-due-to-battery-cost/

Edited by joseodiaga4

1 hour ago, joseodiaga4 said:

THREE-ROW FORD EXPLORER EV DELAYED DUE TO BATTERY COST

Early last month, FoMoCo announced that it was delaying the production start date of both the three-row Ford Explorer EV for North America (not the existing European model), as well as the next-generation Ford F-150 EV pickup. At the time, the reasoning behind this decision was simple – the automaker wants to focus on getting smaller, cheaper EVs to market first, starting with a $25k crossover riding on a new, low-cost platform that’s set to launch in 2026. However, when speaking during the automaker’s Q1 2024 earnings call with investors, CEO Jim Farley also revealed that something else played a role in the delay of the Ford Explorer EV, specifically.

“And we’re being very consistent about our discipline on profitability. We expect every one of our EVs to make money in the first 12 months, and that is a very disciplined process,” Farley said. “In fact, we delayed the launch of our three-row crossover, which is a great product, two years, not only to match the slower growth in EV but more importantly to take advantage of new battery chemistry and formats to substantially reduce the cost of the batteries for that vehicle. We’ll do everything it takes to be profitable in the first 12 months of our vehicles.”

The forthcoming North American Ford Explorer EV is slated to be produced at the Oakville Assembly plant in Canada, and the retooling of that same facility is set to begin soon following the end of Ford Edge production. That process will still move on as previously expected, but Ford’s decision to delay the production start date of the Explorer EV drew the ire of the Canadian union Unifor, which is working with the automaker to mitigate the impact of this two-year delay on its workers there.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/05/three-row-ford-explorer-ev-delayed-due-to-battery-cost/

I just finished today and body shop is now empty. The last of the Edges will be done tomorrow. It was a great run. I hope this 3 row is successful for us whenever Ford refines the batteries.

• Sad 5

Nothing like Fordauthority recycling an old story.  Nothing new here.  I think the 3 rows are dead and Ford is still trying to decide what to put in Oakville.  There is a case for C2 hybrid Nautilus and Edge and possible other C2 vehicles but there are contractual and government commitments that have to be considered.  Other EVs are still possible but those are likely even further out.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, akirby said:

Nothing like Fordauthority recycling an old story.  Nothing new here.  I think the 3 rows are dead and Ford is still trying to decide what to put in Oakville.  There is a case for C2 hybrid Nautilus and Edge and possible other C2 vehicles but there are contractual and government commitments that have to be considered.  Other EVs are still possible but those are likely even further out.

I like what you’re saying but I have a question. You seem strong in your belief that the 3 rows are dead, why do you believe this is the case. Farley just blabbed on about battery chemistry, I like your scenario better but it seems they are still working on these products.

• ice-capades changed the title to Three-Row Explorer EV Delayed Due to Battery Cost
1 hour ago, Oac98 said:

I like what you’re saying but I have a question. You seem strong in your belief that the 3 rows are dead, why do you believe this is the case. Farley just blabbed on about battery chemistry, I like your scenario better but it seems they are still working on these products.

First, I understand these types of situations with contractual obligations and why Ford would not say anything publicly yet.  Delaying the products 2 years gives them plenty of time to figure out what they want to do and do all the behind the scenes work before they make a public announcement.

Second, Farley made it clear the future bet is on affordable EVs and even with new batteries I’m not sure 3 row vehicles would fit that description.

Third, he said there will be a big push on ICE Hybrids.  

So IF the new EVs go to Louisville as rumored or to Mexico and they don’t do the 3 rows then OAC is available and the 2024 Nautilus is a big hit and would make a lot more profit if made in NA.  It would also give them flexibility for C2 overflow.  And support a hybrid C2 redesigned Edge. And maybe we’ll see a hybrid mondeo and zephyr at Flat Rock.

Now I could be totally wrong and they will build the 3 rows as planned plus the others and leave Nautilus in China and ignore Edge.  Wouldn’t be the first time they missed an opportunity.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

All this leaves me with doubts, didn’t they say before that they worked a lot on the batteries and that the 3-row EVs were going to be profitable within a 12 months period? 
This is contradictory.

Edited by joseodiaga4

3 hours ago, akirby said:

First, I understand these types of situations with contractual obligations and why Ford would not say anything publicly yet.  Delaying the products 2 years gives them plenty of time to figure out what they want to do and do all the behind the scenes work before they make a public announcement.

Second, Farley made it clear the future bet is on affordable EVs and even with new batteries I’m not sure 3 row vehicles would fit that description.

Third, he said there will be a big push on ICE Hybrids.  

So IF the new EVs go to Louisville as rumored or to Mexico and they don’t do the 3 rows then OAC is available and the 2024 Nautilus is a big hit and would make a lot more profit if made in NA.  It would also give them flexibility for C2 overflow.  And support a hybrid C2 redesigned Edge. And maybe we’ll see a hybrid mondeo and zephyr at Flat Rock.

Now I could be totally wrong and they will build the 3 rows as planned plus the others and leave Nautilus in China and ignore Edge.  Wouldn’t be the first time they missed an opportunity.

I agree it should be the C2 Edge Nautilus. I still believe the 3 row thing is happening I hope somehow they get a hybrid into our plant whenever we reopen. The plan will likely change again, I hope it’s for a greater good. I agree that an empty plant and 3 years downtime is more than enough to figure out whatever the heck they’re gonna do.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Markets and pricing are hard. I'd love a three row SUV. I was REALLY looking forward to U759. I'm not as price-sensitive as most of the market, and so it's probably good to pay attention to most of the market than to me, for the corporate perspective.

Edit: I have a 2021 Mach E, and my 2024 Mach E Rally is on the way. But I need something bigger, too.

Edited by balthisar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, balthisar said:

Markets and pricing are hard. I'd love a three row SUV. I was REALLY looking forward to U759. I'm not as price-sensitive as most of the market, and so it's probably good to pay attention to most of the market than to me, for the corporate perspective.

Edit: I have a 2021 Mach E, and my 2024 Mach E Rally is on the way. But I need something bigger, too.

I really really hope you guys do a Lincoln version. There was a u760, I hope that also becomes a reality in like 3 years!

1 hour ago, balthisar said:

Also, you probably have to adhere to non disclosure so I don’t expect much information from you. It’s clear that you’re part of the program.

On 5/3/2024 at 8:30 PM, balthisar said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the rally version of the Mach E?

On 5/3/2024 at 11:22 PM, Oac98 said:

Also, you probably have to adhere to non disclosure so I don’t expect much information from you. It’s clear that you’re part of the program.

It was heartbreaking to read the discussion here about OAC without being able to comment. The current okay-to-say information is that the program isn't cancelled. And from my experience, that's true. We're putting the tooling into storage rather than sending it to other programs. It really *is* a delay, and not a cancellation, from what I can tell at my level. If it were anything else, I'd just stay quiet, like I did for the last few months on this particular topic. There are some tool install related dates that I can't talk about on a public forum, but things are more positive than the dates that are currently public.

On 5/5/2024 at 12:40 AM, tbone said:

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the rally version of the Mach E?

Because I've always been a conservative, boring car guy that was, despite this, interested in sleepers. Now I'm a middle-aged guy with a bit of discretionary income that wants something a bit more fun than my current Premium, and I no longer care about keeping a low profile. If you see me with ugly, white wheels, bright yellow paint, a tail fin, and racing stripes, I'm _not_ calling for attention – I simply don't care to hide any more! The Rally is finally the car that that lets me look like a douche, but have the performance to deserve it. That's probably not the image the Ford wants, but I'm Gen X – flaunt it if you got it, and the Rally finally gots it (sic).

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, balthisar said:

It was heartbreaking to read the discussion here about OAC without being able to comment. The current okay-to-say information is that the program isn't cancelled. And from my experience, that's true. We're putting the tooling into storage rather than sending it to other programs. It really *is* a delay, and not a cancellation, from what I can tell at my level. If it were anything else, I'd just stay quiet, like I did for the last few months on this particular topic. There are some tool install related dates that I can't talk about on a public forum, but things are more positive than the dates that are currently public.

Because I've always been a conservative, boring car guy that was, despite this, interested in sleepers. Now I'm a middle-aged guy with a bit of discretionary income that wants something a bit more fun than my current Premium, and I no longer care about keeping a low profile. If you see me with ugly, white wheels, bright yellow paint, a tail fin, and racing stripes, I'm _not_ calling for attention – I simply don't care to hide any more! The Rally is finally the car that that lets me look like a douche, but have the performance to deserve it. That's probably not the image the Ford wants, but I'm Gen X – flaunt it if you got it, and the Rally finally gots it (sic).

I appreciate your response. I know you can’t say more than you’re allowed. I believe you that things are delayed but gonna happen. If Ford were closing the plant then I feel they would’ve outright just closed it and not play around. My hope is that we’re back earlier than 2027. I can only hope if not I hope that this delay is worth it and for the better. Whatever Ford chooses to do.  

3 hours ago, balthisar said:

I like the reasoning. Enjoy the new ride!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Regardless of what the plan is today, the delay gives them time to change plans.  I honestly don’t think they’ve made a final decision yet.

I'm convinced Ford doesn't know how to make final decisions anymore. With their planning abilities these last few years, they'll cancel it, then revive it, then call it their most important product, then cancel it again and deny it ever existed. 

• Like 8

On 5/2/2024 at 3:03 PM, akirby said:

But they’ll have more soon!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm convinced Ford doesn't know how to make final decisions anymore. With their planning abilities these last few years, they'll cancel it, then revive it, then call it their most important product, then cancel it again and deny it ever existed. 

gm is even worse.  

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Thats been my #1 issue with Ford mgt for many years now.  They start things and either never follow through or they start then stop then make changes multiple times.   Look how long it took for Bronco and a purpose built NA Ranger.  They are too easily distracted by something perceived as being slightly better.   As the old saying goes - great is the enemy of good.  You delay or pass up good opportunities trying to do something great.  And when the something great doesn’t pan out you’re SOL.

• Like 4

On 5/10/2024 at 6:57 AM, akirby said:

Thats been my #1 issue with Ford mgt for many years now.  They start things and either never follow through or they start then stop then make changes multiple times.   Look how long it took for Bronco and a purpose built NA Ranger.  They are too easily distracted by something perceived as being slightly better.   As the old saying goes - great is the enemy of good.  You delay or pass up good opportunities trying to do something great.  And when the something great doesn’t pan out you’re SOL.

This.

Such a good post in describing the confusion within Ford. Ford apparently cannot make a decision

without the need to constantly second guess it for fear that there’s a better choice. 

My concern with BEV tech is that the really early adopters have time to roll out product and switch to sodium batteries for the next product cycle but companies like Ford that choose to be fas followers end up in a kind of no man’s land. That’s one example but I’m sure that others could show lots of cases where Ford  resisted a logical vehicle choice but then changed it mind half way through and made a hash of it.

As I’ve mention many times before, Ford wanted a smaller Ranger when T6 was first being developed,

had North America simply done a Maverick based on Transit Connect, I think the Bronco Sport would

have been the next obvious choice…..but in the late 2000 North America didn’t think that way.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1