The Official "Six Months Later" Thread

OAC_Sparky

No, it's turned off ONE customer (you). Everyone else seems fine with it, as evidenced by the sales.

braking is fine, fuel consumption fine, grunt EXCELLENT...from two sales managers that bought them, one out of an X5...very happy...and THAT is from REAL people..not mag Mario's.....

Edited by Deanh

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious about something...

When comparing the weight of the Edge vs. the Murano, can the extra bulk be attributed to anything like future crash standards, etc?

I have a photo of the EDGE sans skin....it is built like a bloody tank! So I would say YES!

Edited by Deanh

braking is fine, fuel consumption fine, grunt EXCELLENT...from two sales managers that bought them, one out of an X5...very happy...and THAT is from REAL people..not mag Mario's.....

Yes they are. I noticed that first when going over railroad tracks, and second after I closed the doors (they aren't necessarily heavy but have a vault like thud when you slam them close).

I just hope that Ford improves some of the interior details. I realize that dashboards are one of the most expensive trim pieces on most every vehicle out there, but having all those seperate panels on the dash doesn't provide much continuity. Also the thumbwheels for the front vents (and the rear vents/console itself) could use better plastics and execution. I suppose the only other thing would be to offer the aluminum trim on the center console as well.

Those are marginal and would in no shape or form prevent me from buying one. Ford really ought to do some sort of promotion and allow 24 hour test drives with some of their newer vehicles as a test drive won't cut it. I drove the Fusion 5x's before I decided to purchase it, had I had one over night I would have made my decision a lot faster.

Yes they are. I noticed that first when going over railroad tracks, and second after I closed the doors (they aren't necessarily heavy but have a vault like thud when you slam them close).

I just hope that Ford improves some of the interior details. I realize that dashboards are one of the most expensive trim pieces on most every vehicle out there, but having all those seperate panels on the dash doesn't provide much continuity. Also the thumbwheels for the front vents (and the rear vents/console itself) could use better plastics and execution. I suppose the only other thing would be to offer the aluminum trim on the center console as well.

Those are marginal and would in no shape or form prevent me from buying one. Ford really ought to do some sort of promotion and allow 24 hour test drives with some of their newer vehicles as a test drive won't cut it. I drove the Fusion 5x's before I decided to purchase it, had I had one over night I would have made my decision a lot faster.

agreed...I actually REALLY like the car, steering perhaps a tad heavy but fine. my only bones of contention are the hard plastic door sills, should be padded, and the door handles themselves feel flimsy...and I'm a picky ba$tard, so if thats it I say CUDO"S...it can only get better after responses from actual owners and this is fantastic if thats all I could nit pick! Whomever said it was slow must drive an Enzo...it scoots! And if I was in the market up til now i would have looked murano, not now...high praise coming from me....now just give it a manual or paddles...JUST KIDDING...lol!

I think the anti-braking lobby here is full of shit.

I have a heavy ass crewcab F150 and it doesn't stop worth a crap.

I'll tell you that in driving full size trucks for 25 years, I have never hit anyone else. Never had a problem stopping in time.

So do us a favor and drive the bloody truck before you flap your full-of-shit mouths on the subject. Like was said earlier, most of you are parroting Motor Crap or some other brid cage liner.

I think the anti-braking lobby here is full of shit.

I have a heavy ass crewcab F150 and it doesn't stop worth a crap.

I'll tell you that in driving full size trucks for 25 years, I have never hit anyone else. Never had a problem stopping in time.

So do us a favor and drive the bloody truck before you flap your full-of-shit mouths on the subject. Like was said earlier, most of you are parroting Motor Crap or some other brid cage liner.

You must be a really plesant person to be around. I have driven the Edge several time and drove a MKX for a day.

THEY HAVE BRAKING PROBLEMS....GET OVER IT....

And for the record, your BIG F150 has a stoping distance from 60mph about 10 feet sooner than the Edge or MKX....

Edited by sranger

You must be a really pleasant person to be around. I have driven the Edge several time and drove a MKX for a day.

And for the record, your BIG F150 has a stopping distance from 60mph about 10 feet sooner than the Edge or MKX....

I doubt my wonderful, heavy, 4x4 SuperCrew F150 would out stop an Edge. It won't even out stop a Freestar. Quick story, on the way back from Rugby, ND in March for my Grandma's funeral, I was driving a rental Freestar with only 6000 miles on it (a surprisingly nice vehicle with lots of power & a nice ride that I got a speeding ticket in, but that's another story for later...), I almost hit a deer with it on a highway 2 in ND, but thank God for those brakes. Had it been my F150, I would of hit it, but probably wouldn't done that much damage.

What kind of "braking problems" have you experienced with the Edge and/or MKX?

The braking issue - 60-0 in about 150ft plus feet (i dont remember the exact number) - a number of Edge reviews have it very poor. The info is mixed as are the opinions and source of the problem (rotors, pads, tires)

All I know.. I have my new Edge - and made numerous quick hard stops - and it stopped very quickly and responded well.

Wait and see I guess - but for now.. my confidence is not shaken.

You must be a really plesant person to be around. I have driven the Edge several time and drove a MKX for a day.

And for the record, your BIG F150 has a stoping distance from 60mph about 10 feet sooner than the Edge or MKX....

and what eactly is that problem? Assholes driving like a sports car and tailgating? That's hardly a product defect.

and what eactly is that problem? Assholes driving like a sports car and tailgating? That's hardly a product defect.

Car and Driver didn't have any braking problems...as I stated on another forum, the edge stopped only 11 feet shorter from 70 than the nissan altima tested in the same issue...so its stopped almost as fast as a midsize car...whats the problem

Questions about whether the Edge is a success or not are not driven by the banter about the vehicle currently being expressed. Simply put, there are two criteria to judge whether or not the vehicle has been a success. 1. Has the vehicle improved Ford's place in the market? 2. Has the program met its internal profitability targets?

The second question is the more difficult one to acertain given that the vehicle profitability targets are not public information. However, given the sales of the vehicle in conjunction with the results of the 1st Quarter (over $600M loss in North America), the Edge cannot be considered (from this perspective) entirely successful.

The first question is easier to assess given that overall people mover vehicles sold by Ford has increased with the introduction of the Edge.

In summary, the Edge can be considered a qualified success at this point in time. It is improving the sales position for a specific segment but seems not to enough to stem the dramatic financial crisis that continues to erode Ford's ability to compete.

However, given the sales of the vehicle in conjunction with the results of the 1st Quarter (over $600M loss in North America), the Edge cannot be considered (from this perspective) entirely successful.

And why is this?

We don't know what Ford was projecting internally as a Q1 loss. Nor do we know what Ford was projecting as total revenue from the Edge during Q1. Therefore, jumping to any conclusion seems unjustified.

Well, I live on the north shore of Long Island, AKA Toyotaland, and I have lost track of the number of Edge's I've seen. Actually, I could say the same for the MKX although not as many as Edge's. In contrast, I have seen only 5 new Tundras as of today.

Well, I live on the north shore of Long Island, AKA Toyotaland, and I have lost track of the number of Edge's I've seen. Actually, I could say the same for the MKX although not as many as Edge's. In contrast, I have seen only 5 new Tundras as of today.

I can't say the same...I work on the North Shore of LI and I've only seen a handful. But admittedly, it increases each week. My wife absolutely loves the Edge. I can't say (without having ever driven one) that I find much fault in it either.

I live in So Cal (Orange County) aka ToyotaWORLD, and have seen quite a few Fusions especially lately but I haven't seen too many Edges... yet. but they are just starting to gain popularity so once it follows in the footsteps of Fusion sales patterns and secondary wave of marketing then we'll see what happens when it really hits its stride.

as for Tundras... umm, yeah. not impressive - I see they've really started pushing the "Mega Cab" or whatever you call it and I think it could possibly find a sales niche there. but as of yet I don't see anybody buying it. by the way I was watching that ad today and it seemingly looks "stretched" (purposely distorted) on the tv. it could just be me or an optical illusion. maybe they just shot it at an odd angle but I'd sure like to know if it was real, my imagination, or my buddy's HDTV

No, it's turned off ONE customer (you). Everyone else seems fine with it, as evidenced by the sales.

I have to agree. My neighbor just traded in his 500 for an Edge SE AWD. He let me drive it last night and me being 18 really had no complaints about the brakes other than some slight nose diving when on a decline. I was suprised at how much power there was for such a heavy vehicle too and it handle really nicely on the standard 17 inch wheels. I just hate hate hate the damn "cloth" material auto makers are putting in cars these days...its amazingly cheap, is hard to clean and doesn't hold up well after a few years (04-current Jeep Grand Cherokee comes to mind). Other than that...give me a copper SEL+ with the Vista and Nav and i'll be one happy 18 year old!!!!!

We sure like to invent our own problems. I sell these things and have absolutely no issues putting my wife in a SEL Awd 2 year lease. She's hauling around my 2 small children with it by the way. There are no issues with this vehicle people! Other than I can't get enough to sell..........

On a related note, and not desiring to pull this discussion too far afield, but...

I had the opportunity to drive a CX-9 this weekend. We took the kids to a party and one of the other parents had a brand new CX-9. The thing was loaded and the dad was just as proud as could be about it. He even let me drive it around the block (on of those big, suburban blocks). The thing is roomy, has plenty of power and is just very well done overall. This being the platform mate of the edge, I can't see where the edge isn't anything but a success either.

As for the third row, yeah, its not going to make too many grown ups very happy for multi-hour drives, but its far from uncomfortable. Its livable for short distances around town and is much much better than walking ;)

This drive officially moves the CX-9 to the head of the list to replace our SWB caravan sport when we get the corolla paid off.

At this point, about the only thing that would tank it is Ford somehow offering phenomenal gas mileage on the Taurus X. Or, even better, a nice Sable X.

On a related note, and not desiring to pull this discussion too far afield, but...

I had the opportunity to drive a CX-9 this weekend. We took the kids to a party and one of the other parents had a brand new CX-9. The thing was loaded and the dad was just as proud as could be about it. He even let me drive it around the block (on of those big, suburban blocks). The thing is roomy, has plenty of power and is just very well done overall. This being the platform mate of the edge, I can't see where the edge isn't anything but a success either.

As for the third row, yeah, its not going to make too many grown ups very happy for multi-hour drives, but its far from uncomfortable. Its livable for short distances around town and is much much better than walking ;)

This drive officially moves the CX-9 to the head of the list to replace our SWB caravan sport when we get the corolla paid off.

At this point, about the only thing that would tank it is Ford somehow offering phenomenal gas mileage on the Taurus X. Or, even better, a nice Sable X.