The Official "Six Months Later" Thread

OAC_Sparky

I hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months.
- bec5150 on the Ford Edge, Nov 2 2006, 06:40 PM

Well, it's been officially six months.

April 2007 Sales: Edge: 9,134 Murano: 6,316

YTD: Edge: 33,612 Murano: 32,733

Discuss. Let's attempt to keep it civil, cite facts and sources, let's try to keep from getting anyone suspended.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 33,000+ sold through 4 months (with January and February still having plenty of dealers with none in stock). That's right about on par with Ford's estimates of 100,000-120,000 a year, is it not? That pretty much answers any questions about its success or failure.

About time Ford did something right the first time.

Discuss. Let's attempt to keep it civil, cite facts and sources, let's try to keep from getting anyone suspended.

Though I'm happy for Ford that this bright spot exists, I would be interested in knowing how many of those make it out of the SE Michigan area (aka: SE Michigan = leased/owned by Ford employees and family members).

It seems like every third vehicle in the Plymouth/Canton of Michigan is an Edge, which obviously is an artificial market penetration figure.

But in any case Edges AREN'T sitting on lots so that's a good thing!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

Though I'm happy for Ford that this bright spot exists, I would be interested in knowing how many of those make it out of the SE Michigan area (aka: SE Michigan = leased/owned by Ford employees and family members).

It seems like every third vehicle in the Plymouth/Canton of Michigan is an Edge, which obviously is an artificial market penetration figure.

But in any case Edges AREN'T sitting on lots so that's a good thing!

-Ovaltine

I've seen a lot of them here in Maryland. Last time I stopped by the Ford dealer, they only had about 10 of them in stock....this was a pretty large dealer too. Even more surprising, they only had 6 Fusions.

Edited by NickF1011

I've seen a lot of them here in Maryland. Last time I stopped by the Ford dealer, they only had about 10 of them in stock....this was a pretty large dealer too. Even more surprising, they only had 6 Fusions.

I saw a half dozen between NJ and MD back a couple weeks ago on my day trip down there...

I've not seen very many on the road in the Frankfort-Lexington, KY area... I could count on one hand the number seen driven (and I had a 50-mile RT daily commute until two weeks ago) until say March. I've seen a trickle more now. The FLM dealer here in Frankfort had the same one on a pedestal for SIX WEEKS before it sold back at intro-time. But, I go by there periodically after-hours to check the used lot. They always seem to have the same selection of Edges, but yet - there are always other different people there looking at THEM while the rest of the lot goes wanting. (BTW - this dealer ALWAYS has a selection of panthers available front-and-center! Being in a State Capital will do that I guess).

I drove from Frankfort to Timonuim, MD a few weeks ago, and saw AT LEAST a DOZEN Edges. Frankly, I was shocked. I still don't know if I've seen a dozen Freestyles or FiveHundreds in any one given 90-day period, let alone one trip... and honestly, half of those I do see have that damn green "E" on them.

So we have the following metrics / measurements to go by:

1) Ford's projected sales goals? MET

2) Outsell the targeted segment leader? DONE - (although given Ford's vastly larger dealer network, the margin by all rights should go higher - do not settle for where they are).

3) Subjective "man on the street" sightings - Confirmed positive trend

I'd say that's a success any way you slice it. And I'll admit to being surprised and baffled by it, but pleased nonetheless.

no where near bombing, we are taking ALL the allocation we can, they were slow initially due to no-one knowing about them and substandard advertising...now people are seeing them on the road and hearing word of mouth they are selling WELL! AND...people LOVE THEM!

I just went to the grocery store. I saw a young Asian couple driving a brand new Edge with the temptag in the back. The girl was doing the driving, so I'm assuming it's hers. They were young, I'd say 20something, and it got my attention whereas I typically I see young kids in the Lexus or Nissan crossovers.

I have seen quite a number of Edges here in Pittsburgh. Two are regularly parked near me both SELs. I am also seeing some MKXs. I even had a friend ask about the MKX since the lease on his Honda Pilot is almost up. Could be a conquest sale. He plans to test drive the MKX in the next few weeks.

Based on Ford's expectations and the sales so far I would have to say Edge has been a success. It certainly hasn't bombed by any reasonable measure.

Looks like it's doing pretty well. That's good news. Having sat in a loaded up version at a recent auto show I can say with absolute certainty that it's not the ride for me. I was pretty unimpressed. But that's why they make more than one kind of car.

It's good to see this vehicle doing well. Let's hope Ford already has a 2009 facelift in the works. Since style is one of the Edge's fortes, styling definitely has to stay up-to-date.

It should be like clock-work-- a face-lift after two years, a total overhaul after four. Taste and functional demands are always changing. If Ford doesn't want to repeat the Big 3's mistakes of the 1990's and early 2000's, they have to make a big effort, and spend a good amount of money, to stay current.

I see a lot of Edge's here in Atlanta, GA. One guy at work just bought a SEL Plus.

I do not think that the Edge is bombing, but it is not really big hit either. I think the issue with the braking has turned off a lot of customers ( myself included ). Without that problem, I think the sales would be even higher than they have been. Hopfully it will be addressed in the 2008 model...

I also think the Murano will get a boost as the 2008 model appeares...

The Edge did see a 16% drop in month over month sales in April, but April was a bad month for autos in general. If the sales are flat or decline in the next month then it might be time to worry...( I do not think it will.. )

The big question is what the economy is going to do in the summer. If it drops dramatically and the prce of gas hold above $3.00 per gal, even vehicles like the Edge might not be so attractive ( It does not get great milag ) This could be a rough time for all vehicles that average less than 20mpg city...

The short answer is that it is too soon to tell if it will be a failure, hit or average.... Many vehicles sell well out of the gate and sputter a year or so later...

I do not think that the Edge is bombing, but it is not really big hit either. I think the issue with the braking has turned off a lot of customers ( myself included ). Without that problem, I think the sales would be even higher than they have been.

No, it's turned off ONE customer (you). Everyone else seems fine with it, as evidenced by the sales.

Well we added another sale to the Edge today :happy feet:

The wife and I finally took delivery of her new SEL.

My question is, Are these numbers of Edges sold from the factory or are these actual "sold" vehicles off of dealers lots. If they are factory numbers then I'm wondering if these numbers are temporarily inflated for the Edge just because of dealers building up supplys of them?

I do not think that the Edge is bombing, but it is not really big hit either. I think the issue with the braking has turned off a lot of customers ( myself included ). Without that problem, I think the sales would be even higher than they have been. Hopfully it will be addressed in the 2008 model...

As another poster mentioned, the numbers show that the early sales performance is doing pretty well and many customers arent being turned off., i would agree some are though, but this vehicle isnt aimed at those people who are just casually checking it out or have uses for an SUV with capabilities that this CUV was not meant to fulfil.

The short answer is that it is too soon to tell if it will be a failure, hit or average.... Many vehicles sell well out of the gate and sputter a year or so later...

The original statement that is being countered in this thread is "I hate to say it, but she's gonna bomb. Go ahead, flame me, but we can revisit this in six months. - bec5150 on the Ford Edge, Nov 2 2006, 06:40 PM" so we are comparing how the performance has been over the first 6 months and whether it has bombed to date. Of course if you want to be the source of the "official 12 month/1 year later" thread that can be arranged ;)

If they did it right the first time, then why do the brakes need to be fixed for the next model year?

Anyway, other than that, I think it has been a success.

Wait a second; I was reading on another thread that the reason was fixed by a tire change.

If that's it then that's a good thing right?

Edited by Hugh

Yes it is a good thing, but if it was "done right the first time", the tires would have been changed when the vehicle was launched, not after a model year. If the solution is that simple, there is no excuse.

I think the whole brake issue has been trumped up too much by people in here...the brakes are fine for 95% of drivers out there...its not like its unsafe vehicle to drive or has a defect in safety, it just takes 10-20ft longer to stop then other SUV/CUV in its class...I bet that most people don't even research that fact.