AN: Ford raises Edge sales forecast

range

Ford raises Edge sales forecast

Richard Truett

Automotive News

June 4, 2007 - 1:00 am

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. last week raised its 2007 sales forecast for the Edge crossover to 120,000 units, from 100,000.

Ford plans to add 77,000 units of light-truck production in the third quarter. Ford declined to discuss how the Edge fits into that plan.

Auto News (subscription)

Not really a shock - to make 120k/year it's an average of 10k/month. The Edge has been beating that every month since supply started to ramp up. Hopefully Edge will be able to maintain the 120k/year pace over the life of the vehicle - that will be the challenge!

Scott

As long as Ford takes a look at the braking (as well as the MKX's), and tweak the interior they should have no problem whatsoever.

yes as long as Ford does not abandon it like they do everything else! But they will and when sales decline, they'll let it go instead of tweaking it like the Japs do. Sad.

06 Fusion/Milan - 07 AWD, 09 refresh including a hybrid

05 500 - 08 Taurus new drivetrain, exterior/interior upgrades

06 Zephyr - 07 MKZ new drivetrain, AWD, exterior tweaks, 09 refresh

The days of launch and abandon are over although all vehicles might not be on a 3 yr cycle.

I'd like to see Ford get a "torquier" version of the 3.5 for its crossovers. For cars, it seems more than good...but for a couple tons of CUV, it's time to move the power down the rev range.

Like the 3.7L Mazda is putting in the CX-9 for 2008?

I'd like to see Ford get a "torquier" version of the 3.5 for its crossovers. For cars, it seems more than good...but for a couple tons of CUV, it's time to move the power down the rev range.

Out-accelerating a BMW X5 isn't good enough? Some people are never happy.

sigh....theres nothing wrong with the inside...and the brake isssue is being addressed.

A few issues:

-Aluminum trim or silver frost paint, use one or the other or make the parts that aren't meant to be trimed in aluminum the same color as the rest of the dash

-The lack of a power seatback. Sorry but in something that expensive it should be there when you order the power seat. Besides it is a PITA to get the setback in the proper position when you only have 'x' detents available. If Ford doesn't want to make it power, I strongly suggest (cause I miss it) the rotary knob that the Contour/Mystique used in the first few years of production to adjust the seatback

-Little things like the vent louver knobs and the adjusment for the instrument lights look like cheap after thoughts

Maybe a high performance version would be welcomed, but the D35 in that vehicle is more responsive than say the D30 in the Fusion. It's smooth, fuel efficent and works well in this application.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Like the 3.7L Mazda is putting in the CX-9 for 2008?

When was this announced? I'm not doubting you, just looking for additional info or the source of this info.

The only thing I thought we knew for sure about a 3.7L is that it will be in the Lincoln MKS when it starts production.

Out-accelerating a BMW X5 isn't good enough? Some people are never happy.

Of course not, silly man. It needs to out accelerate a Porsche Cayenne Turbo (spelling............ and I don't care).

Oh yea...................and while out accelerating the Porsche, it also needs to be the same price as it is currently, use regular gas, and get 30-35mpg (you know, since Ford has to be better than everyone, at everything, with every model............... just to be on equal footing).

When was this announced? I'm not doubting you, just looking for additional info or the source of this info.

The only thing I thought we knew for sure about a 3.7L is that it will be in the Lincoln MKS when it starts production.

I suspect that higher-capacity AWD transmissions are the hold-up. I'd like to see a 350hp MK Z and 450HP+ MK S: Lexus and Infiniti's worst nightmares.

A 350-horse AWD Z with handling components and big disk brakes. What is so gawddam difficult? Pull the pickle out and build it.

When you're coming from behind, you have to try harder. Instead of declaring it impossible, Ford should have a Fusion with 300+ hp available as an option. Meanwhile, we hurry up and wait.

I would love to see Ford push for a number higher, like around 150k

I don't think there is any question that the edge is a success. It definately is, and I think 120k is a given, which is great, but I think Ford should reach for 150k, a number that may be tough to get, and I think internally they are, either way, great success, now give a 3 year MCE to keep it fresh and competitive.

I would love to see Ford push for a number higher, like around 150k

I don't think there is any question that the edge is a success. It definately is, and I think 120k is a given, which is great, but I think Ford should reach for 150k, a number that may be tough to get, and I think internally they are, either way, great success, now give a 3 year MCE to keep it fresh and competitive.

Since Oakville is working overtime and building over 4000 Edges/week, the production is there to sell 150,000 first year, not sure about enough customers, but production is there. In fact, Ford is building more Edges than Fusions right now. Oakville is working overtime and Hermosillo is not. Looks like Lincoln could sell 40,000 MKX's first year which is mighty impressive when you consider how pricey it is. Oakville could very easily build almost 200,000 Edge/MKX first year and will be super busy when it starts building Flex next year. Looks like Oakville will be 110% capacity plant and these vehicles produce more profit than Fusion and Milan. Oakville plant is going to be Ford's crown jewel like Michigan Truck Plant was when Ford could sell every Expedition/Navigator vehicle it could make. At one time Ford sold 200,000 Expeditions/year and each one represented more than $10,000 profit. Alas, the good old days. :shades:

The only way the Edge will not sell 120k this year is if we have a major hit to the economy....

Mazda has confirmed that the CX-9 is going to get the 3.7L for 2008 production of the new CX-9 starts in July ( sux because I just bought one ).... So far Mazda has not confirmed the HP/Torque numbers but it will be between 275-300hp... I suspect that the MKX will have the same engine.

Yeah, it's called a CX9. :)

Point me to my local Ford Dealer that I may purchase it from...that is my point. Why are the other marketing channels getting the hot products and no option from Ford Division? Step up to the plate...you use to and hit home runs all the time. An idle bat never hits the ball.

Point me to my local Ford Dealer that I may purchase it from...that is my point. Why are the other marketing channels getting the hot products and no option from Ford Division? Step up to the plate...you use to and hit home runs all the time. An idle bat never hits the ball.

It's called the Taurus X.