Lincoln MKS spyshots, INTERIOR CLEAR SHOTS

LincolnFan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, here's the thing.

To Aussies and Euros, this is going to look like a 1980s dash out of a Merc or BMW.

I'm sure it's a nice car and all but the dash leaves me cold.

Sort of how the exterior of Aussie cars leave Americans cold?

I'm sorry, I've been in 80's BMW's and Mercedes....they don't come anywhere close.

The headlight switch looks like the ones used in Audis. I don't think the other switchgear looks Audi-like. And I own an A4, so I have some idea about what it looks like. As for that stalk: the angle is ergonomically challenged and it has too many functions. Push it, pull it, raise it, lower it, twist it in two places, push the button on the end ... it's not always simplest to combine everything into one stalk.

The headlight switch looks like the ones used in Audis. I don't think the other switchgear looks Audi-like. And I own an A4, so I have some idea about what it looks like. As for that stalk: the angle is ergonomically challenged and it has too many functions. Push it, pull it, raise it, lower it, twist it in two places, push the button on the end ... it's not always simplest to combine everything into one stalk.

I fail to see how not.

We have an A4 and a G, and the stalks in both cars present their own ergonomic flaws. The Audi has a 3 stalk setup and the G has headlight controls on the stalk itself which complicates turning them lights on and off in circumstances where the auto headlight sensor hasn't detected a lack of light to kick the lights on.

I've noticed a lot of corporate switch gear. It would be nice for Ford to rubberize some of it in an attempt to make it soft touch.

Pre-production prototype. How many times does this need to be said about spy shots? While you're nitpicking about things not looking good on the interior, I have to point out how the big huge red button on the dash is really an eyesore!!! It doesn't flow with anything else on the interior. Come on. Put some of your complaints in perspective.

Did you not see where I clearly said: "I hope this is just a roughed-in prototype and these issues can be addressed..." ??? :finger:

The PROBLEM is that it's too hard to tell what's rough and what's final. I mean, yeah it would seem obvious to assume that some things would be addressed, but fer crissakes, how do you explain all the multicolored panels - are they trying to murder their testers? And with CAD and rapid prototyping, there would still be major gaps to work out? The designers didn't realize the wood trim has all the subtle style of a two-by-four?

Something at this stage of testing is not a hand-carved vehicle rushed to the show floor. Much of it is parts-bin fodder in the first place. I'd expect that they should have lots of these details worked out before they leave mules out in the open like that.

After all, woe be to he who just assumed that godawful slab of radio in the Fusion was just a "pre-prod prototype".

But I will say it again... clearly: I RESERVE FINAL JUDGMENT until the final version is out... but so far I do not like what I see and am not going to hold my breath.

I'm sorry, I've been in 80's BMW's and Mercedes....they don't come anywhere close.

Edit,

I like the external look of the MKS, just the dash looks BRRRRRR!

Second thought:

- Cars do look different in the flesh.

- I'm probably not in the demographic for this car.

- Perhaps I would like another colour in the interior.

Edited by jpd80

Two things I don't like about the interior are:

1) The way the wood is 'cut off', they seriously should consider doing some curve or something to hide this thing.

2) The instruments.. wow they look like... err I don't know something lame.

I don't think that big ass gap in the headlight switch plastic is going to stay.. It's seriously a joke if it does which I highly doubt.

PS: Is the 'one horizontal slab of wood' going to be used in all of their new cars? It looked awesome on the Flex, nice on the MKS but I don't think I'd like to see it become overused.

Pre-production prototype. How many times does this need to be said about spy shots? While you're nitpicking about things not looking good on the interior, I have to point out how the big huge red button on the dash is really an eyesore!!! It doesn't flow with anything else on the interior. Come on. Put some of your complaints in perspective.

Perhaps, it is possible to have a few different colours and trims just for testing purposes hence the hodge-podge theme.

As for the SRB (Shiny Red Button) it's a dealer-installed option. :D

Someone ask about engines? It's a DOHC 4.7L 32V 60 deg All-Aluminium V8 based on the Duratec 35. Sorry Nick, had too. :finger:

Seriously, IIRC it's a Duratec 37. Nice Auto-shift feature.

I quite like it but I have some questions:

- is this a rebadged/ improved version of another car?

- is this competing with Audi?

If it's taking on Audi then it may enjoy some sucess by looking less clinical. However in not looking as clinical I think it will lose out from not having cup holders that open up in an over engineered way.

The weird thing for me is that the interior screams Rover or British in some ways. I hate the grill or at least I do if it's like the concept. Frankly I like it enough to say Ford should bring it to Europe as a Rover because it doesn't look too American if you put your hand over the grill.

Anyway that's my uniquely British view. Seems a shame to not try and find more buyers abroad.

I'm going to say this is a lower level trim, or at least a less optioned prototype.

1) The somewhat odd looking display at the top of the center stack is likely the default 'info display' that you get if you don't opt for Sync or Nav.

2) Regarding the materials, I wouldn't be surprised if a finish material isn't available for the center stack and console. However, I don't think that a textured finish matte plastic is necessarily bad. It is, to the contrary, fairly Continental. Use of wood, chrome, and satin elements is not necessarily egregious. Rather, most luxury cars incorporate all three of these items (unless it's a Lexus ES, or a base Infiniti, in which case the wood is fake). Also, expect (like the MKZ & MKX) that you will have a few interior combos available, including a cooler all metal look in charcoal and black, as well as different woods and various monotone and two-tone interior packages.

3) If this thing hits the market with a 300+hp engine at a $38-40k price, they're not going to have any difficulty selling it.

Too early to nitpick, but if this is sort of the final version...the speed/tach look very cheesy for a luxury car as previously mentioned. They should look at an Audi for inspiration. I believe the dials are like jewelry in a car. And the way the numbers twist along with the dial, looks not sophisticated, rather childlike. The thickness of the numbers also conveys a look of cheapness, same with the thick needles.

All that aside, this seems like a lower optioned model. I'm hoping the big blacked out cut-out on top of the dash is for an extra speaker for the THX system, and the information display module should be replaced with a Navi system if so optioned.

I do appreciate how the dashboard has a waterfall, low cowl appearance to it. Unlike the blocky, stodgy, retro MKZ features.

Also, the Pedal activated parking brake is an excusable step back, and enough for me to pass up on it. I use that a few times daily on drive-thrus....

Oh, one more thing, insider gossip is that's real leather on the top of the dash. Probably on the arm rests as well.

Or at least a fairly convincing fake leather, not unlike what Cadillac is doing.

Like you said... if this can be had with reasonable options with 300+hp for $38k or so, Lincoln will have no problem moving them.

Or at least a fairly convincing fake leather, not unlike what Cadillac is doing.

Like you said... if this can be had with reasonable options with 300+hp for $38k or so, Lincoln will have no problem moving them.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...st&p=169980

Might be a fake leather, but who knows?

Oddly enough, pleather would probably look better 5-6 years down the line.

I'm giving allowance to this thing in that its a pre-production mule. So, no griping about panel gaps, interior material mismatches, etc. What I do find, though, is that while the overall interior / dash design and layout is clean, it doesn't really give me the emotional reaction that I get when I look in an Audi interior, or even the very well done stuff that VW has had recently. Don't get me wrong, its "nice" but it doesn't seem overly luxurious to me in the pictures.

What I do like, its got provision for a manumatic. While most of them out there are completely useless as they are slow and unresponsive, having the features is an advertising feature. The overall design that I can see and imagine under the camo seems to be very sedate, american luxury with a distinctly modern asian luxury touch to the lines. While I think that it will do well, I don't see it hitting the volume numbers that the MkZ has. The price point speaks against it (as you go up, the market must neccessarily shrink). The overall design doesn't seem agressive enough to draw people out of the showrooms of the competitors.

I'm going to say that this is going to be right there where the old Continental left off. Just taking a quick glance at the camoed pics and knowing about the layout of the vehicle, it jus strikes me as an update of the old continental. And, strangely enough, given that this is a D3 derived vehicle, and the D3 is the platform for the Taurus, the resembelance is there. The old Conti was on a taurus derived chasis and sported a transverse engine. What makes this better than the last gen Conti? AWD, more efficient engine, more cogs in the auto, better platform, better overall quality. And, the possibility of there being a twinforce version of this vehicle just makes it that much sweeter.

Why does the top of the dash look like it was designed to resemble an aftermarket carpeted dash cover with bounded edges and a useless cutout in the center? That clumsy protruding shelf of wood is a joke. The gauges have that chintz cheap look like it could be shared with a Fusion or Focus. The steering wheel and shifter is so obviously parts bin.

Lincoln that should be a model of contemporary sophistication and high style...

Why do I have a feeling the MKS is going to become as obscure as the FWD Continental that preceded it...

Edited by Watchdevil

Oh I don't know - I've been in a Mercedes 190E and that interior was pretty damn good.

And it was driven by a very beautiful girl who could probably kick my ass (well this post got creepy real quick).

Was just looking at the link that Biker provided on another thread on the Mondeo. Wow...Push Button Start called "Ford Power"...and key-fob-less"FordKey Free" are available on that vehicle. With the foot operated parking brake partially hidden in the MKS picture diminishes my hopes that the aforementioned items would even be available on it....

We can only hope...

Edited by ANTAUS