"Not Compact" Crossovers - Sales October 2007

waymondospiff

Again, due to time this is only the larger sellers:

Edge - 14,133

Taurus X - 3,961 (4,204 including Freestyle)

CX-7 - 3,280

CX-9 - 3,145 (a COY award bump?)

Pacifica - 4,880

Acadia - 6,120

Outlook - 2,458

Enclave - 4,244

Highlander - 9,558

Pilot - 5,920

Murano - 4,958

Santa Fe - 5,940

Veracruz - 1,524

Sales order: Edge, Highlander, Santa Fe, Pilot, Murano, Pacifica, Enclave, Taurus X...

Good for the Edge, but the new Highlander is just ramping up. Can the Edge stay on top?

Scott

The Highlander should be selling at an all-new high right now, dealers are dumping the old ones and the new one just arrived.

It's funny how the Pilot hit the ground, didn't it used to be a neck-to-neck competitor to the Edge?

The Taurus X is doing pretty well considering no advertising, no extra incentives, and no special lease deals.

So far its the bright spot out of the D3 refresh...

So far. I think the other D3's can at least limp along until they move to the upgraded D3 platform with the next refresh. From what I understand, this iteration of the D3 trio is only going to out for 2 years. If the Taurus can get up to around 7000 units a month, I think that'll be sufficient for the time being.

Look at the Murano vs. the Edge. I remember the days when all the Ford haters said the Edge would flop and that it wasn't as good as the Murano. Now it's selling almost triple!

its a great truck for the money.

forget internet armchair CEOs. talk to the people that own them. They love them are are happy with ther purchase.

Well, the Taurus X fixed what was the most significant problem with the Freestyle, the engine. While the D30 was "sufficient" for normal operations in the 500/montego, the Freestyle did feel rather weak in the knees with that same engine. The only thing making it manageable was the CVT that was mandatory in the Freestyle that wrung every last bit of torque out of the engine that it could. The D35, on the other hand, completely changed the character of that vehicle. It has a regular 6AT now, so no CVT oddness. It also has the gutsy D35 as well. And, with all of that, it still has about the same gas mileage, which is definitely high in its class.

What's going to absolutely kill the Taurus X is the FLEX. The only saving grace for it may be the fact that it stickers for several grand less, but, the FLEX will likely take the top end out of the taurus x sales. It will also make a significant dent in Expedition sales (it still has more interior room than the TaurusX, but the FLEX should outdo all but the EL, and that will be close as well).

If I was Ford, upon the release of the FLEX, I would pull the Taurus X, give in the Sable treatment and make it the Sable X. We know that there won't be a Mercury version of the FLEX, and the only three row SUV at Mercury at the time will be the Mountaineer. The next three row from a L/M dealer will be the MkFlex. Nothing else there. The Sable X would complete the selling volume points for the CUV/SUV market for L/M dealers, and it would eliminate a conflict on Ford dealer lots betweem the Flex and the Taurus X. I think they would be surprised by the volume Sable X would get, though, it would definitely put a bullet in the Mountaineer.

So far. I think the other D3's can at least limp along until they move to the upgraded D3 platform with the next refresh. From what I understand, this iteration of the D3 trio is only going to out for 2 years. If the Taurus can get up to around 7000 units a month, I think that'll be sufficient for the time being.

I remember when Ford said that combined Fusion and 500 sales would make up for the sales lost by old Taurus. It looks to me like monthly sales of Fusion is about 12,000 and new Taurus about 5,000. For this combo to make up for lost Taurus sales, Fusion will have to do 20,000/month and new Taurus about 10,000/month. So these two new vehicles are doing a little better than half of hoped for sales/month. Looks to me like best hoped for sales are maybe 20,000 sales in sum with new Taurus having more upside than present Fusion. We will have to see the refreshed Fusion to see what the upside is there if any. With new Accord and Malibu out, Ford certainly knows what it has to beat to stay competitive. It definitely will take the 3.5 V6 and much better I4 to do it.

I remember when Ford said that combined Fusion and 500 sales would make up for the sales lost by old Taurus. It looks to me like monthly sales of Fusion is about 12,000 and new Taurus about 5,000. For this combo to make up for lost Taurus sales, Fusion will have to do 20,000/month and new Taurus about 10,000/month. So these two new vehicles are doing a little better than half of hoped for sales/month. Looks to me like best hoped for sales are maybe 20,000 sales in sum with new Taurus having more upside than present Fusion. We will have to see the refreshed Fusion to see what the upside is there if any. With new Accord and Malibu out, Ford certainly knows what it has to beat to stay competitive. It definitely will take the 3.5 V6 and much better I4 to do it.

The new products have more than made4 up for the old Taurus's retail volume. Thats something that you are forgetting.

Well, the Taurus X fixed what was the most significant problem with the Freestyle, the engine. While the D30 was "sufficient" for normal operations in the 500/montego, the Freestyle did feel rather weak in the knees with that same engine. The only thing making it manageable was the CVT that was mandatory in the Freestyle that wrung every last bit of torque out of the engine that it could. The D35, on the other hand, completely changed the character of that vehicle. It has a regular 6AT now, so no CVT oddness. It also has the gutsy D35 as well. And, with all of that, it still has about the same gas mileage, which is definitely high in its class.

What's going to absolutely kill the Taurus X is the FLEX. The only saving grace for it may be the fact that it stickers for several grand less, but, the FLEX will likely take the top end out of the taurus x sales. It will also make a significant dent in Expedition sales (it still has more interior room than the TaurusX, but the FLEX should outdo all but the EL, and that will be close as well).

If I was Ford, upon the release of the FLEX, I would pull the Taurus X, give in the Sable treatment and make it the Sable X. We know that there won't be a Mercury version of the FLEX, and the only three row SUV at Mercury at the time will be the Mountaineer. The next three row from a L/M dealer will be the MkFlex. Nothing else there. The Sable X would complete the selling volume points for the CUV/SUV market for L/M dealers, and it would eliminate a conflict on Ford dealer lots betweem the Flex and the Taurus X. I think they would be surprised by the volume Sable X would get, though, it would definitely put a bullet in the Mountaineer.

You forget that a lot of the people who buy an Explorer, Expedition, or Moutaineer want and need the twoing ability. That potential to tow is always there even if they don't have something to tow at moment of buying. I used to own a Bronco, and the main reason was for its towing ability. I didn't use it for that a lot, but the ability was there and I did use it. I know with high gas prices that less people need that, but there are still a lot of people who haul things and need good towing vehicle. If a new Explorer has less capability to tow in future, most of it will fall on the Expedition. I think you will see the Expedtion with a diesel engine in a couple years. Ford would be foolish to let those potential customers go to the competition. With Chevy ending Trailblazer and possibility of Durango going, Expedition could be gaining some new customers along with Explorer.

Taurus X is dead in 2 years - with the new D3 Explorer coming online in virtually no time - there will truly be no space left for the Taurus X - the Sable X could make sense - especially since there does not seem to be a new Mountaineer coming.

PS: anyone know where the Explorer will be built? Oakville or Chicago? My bet is Oakville, since the ORE will probably share more with Flex than Taurus/Sable/MKS but I actually do not know. I would expect to see a concept of the Taurus or Explorer this autoshow season.

PS@: and yes the Fusion and Taurus retail volume about trippled the retail volume of the Taurus in 2005 (it only went down from there)

Igor

Edited by igor

Taurus X is dead in 2 years - with the new D3 Explorer coming online in virtually no time - there will truly be no space left for the Taurus X - the Sable X could make sense - especially since there does not seem to be a new Mountaineer coming.

PS: anyone know where the Explorer will be built? Oakville or Chicago? My bet is Oakville, since the ORE will probably share more with Flex than Taurus/Sable/MKS but I actually do not know. I would expect to see a concept of the Taurus or Explorer this autoshow season.

PS@: and yes the Fusion and Taurus retail volume about trippled the retail volume of the Taurus in 2005 (it only went down from there)

Igor

I would be uber-excited to see the Explorer concept!!!!!!!!

By the way, what was with the rumors of it being canceled or whatever?(not the explorer name, but the crossover)

Ohh, any ideas whatsoever what this will look like?

By the way, what was with the rumors of it being canceled or whatever?(not the explorer name, but the crossover)

there are such rumors? I have not heard such rumors at all .. were they posted online somewhere, or was it your private source?

Thanks

igor

Hasn't the Highlander been around for a couple of months now? Regardless, Toyota took the non-descript one and turned it into an ugly abomination with nasty proportions.

I believe I saw my first new Highlander in late August I think it was. So, ya a couple of months it's been out.

The Highlander should be selling at an all-new high right now, dealers are dumping the old ones and the new one just arrived.

It's funny how the Pilot hit the ground, didn't it used to be a neck-to-neck competitor to the Edge?

I thought the same thing about the Murano.....wasn't it the Edge's benchmark when it was being designed?

Edited by rmc523

I am suprised by the Higlander NUmbers, though I will wait another month or two before I cansay it utterly failed. I thought it was ugly,a terrible design, unispiring, but since it is toyota, and since it does have the best interior in its class, I thought it would sell very well. I am happy I am wrong.

The Edge is doing amazing, simply amazing, It is like bittersweet, the edge doing so well but the fusion just is just barely on life support.

All the Edge trully needs is a new interior and a couple tweaks here and there and then it would really be unstoppable.