MADD wants Sutherland pulled from Ford ads

suv_guy_19

Ford Motor Company of Canada is being urged by MADD Canada to replace Kiefer Sutherland as the voice behind their advertisements now that the actor is in jail for a drunk driving conviction.

Sutherland, the star of "24," is serving a 48-day sentence in a California prison after pleading no-contest in October to driving with a blood-alcohol level above the legal limit of .08.

CTV

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't personally care if he's pulled from the ads, but anybody who drives drunk isn't going to gain accolades from me ...

Still not quite as bad for the spin doctors as the story of the Chicago superintendent who had just started a massive campaign to stop underage drinking in Chicago. A few weeks after the campaign started, he was arrested for a DUI. A reporter who was waiting at the police station happened to recognize the guy, huge article was written about him that night ... :hysterical:

Kind of hard to tell kids not to drink if you do it yourself and drive on top of it ...

Edited by SVT_MAN

Eww told about some conservative old broads...no wonder they were so fully dressed back then, who the hell would have wanted to touch them anyways. Thankfully we have progressed from that era...

Beer. Lots of beer. Lots and lots of beer. Now you know why Prohibition was an ugly time. Sobriety sucked.

everyone, and i mean everyone has driven drunk... its just some get caught others dont, dont fool yourself in saying you dont and try to put people down who do... its VERY common...

the key is, if they keep doing it... then you can be critical...

What the fuck are you talking about? Sorry buddy, I'm not a drunk driving piece of shit, and I WILL put down drunk drivers and tell them exactly what they are at every opportunity I get.

everyone, and i mean everyone has driven drunk... its just some get caught others dont, dont fool yourself in saying you dont and try to put people down who do... its VERY common...

:banghead:

Okay, first of all, I'm 20 years old so it's illegal for me to drink, let alone drink and drive. Second of all, don't fool yourself into thinking that just because you drink that everybody else does too. I know several people besides myself who do not drink - even people who can legally do so (including my parents). Thirdly, don't fool yourself into thinking that everybody who DOES drink also proceeds to drive afterwards. I know several people who take cabs to and from bars and never drink if they have to drive.

Just because something appears common to your eye doesn't mean it is actually so. Not everybody drinks. And not everybody drinks and drives. Broad generalizations are dangerous if they aren't qualified ...

The only reason you appear to be saying these things is to justify your own past behavior, which I personally find unacceptable. And, if you decide to respond to my post - do not bring my age into this. I do not plan to drink, nor do I plan to drink and drive even when I am "of age." Drinking is a personal choice, not a given ... Granted, most kids on college campuses don't understand that, but that's their problem for giving into peer pressure.

Edited by SVT_MAN

I don't drink nor do I enjoy being with people when they drink. It is very unlikely impossible that I have or will in the future engage in drinking and driving.

I dont drink alcohol either. I've tasted drinks before just to see if there's anything I like, but I can't fathom how people can swallow beer or wine for that matter.

My lover won't eat sushi, but loves beer and wine...so whenever I mention if we should go Japanese that night for dinner, I gotta hear the "Eww, I wont eat that"... Which I respond with "You swallowed my load this morning, if you can swallow that, you can eat sushi!"....

Priorities I guess...

I dont drink alcohol either. I've tasted drinks before just to see if there's anything I like, but I can't fathom how people can swallow beer or wine for that matter.

My lover won't eat sushi, but loves beer and wine...so whenever I mention if we should go Japanese that night for dinner, I gotta hear the "Eww, I wont eat that"... Which I respond with "You swallowed my load this morning, if you can swallow that, you can eat sushi!"....

Priorities I guess...

Well define drunk. According to MADD women I may have driven drunk. I'm not a fan of these MADD women because they were one of the movers behind getting the feds to force all states to lower the legal limit from .10 to .08.

Most people are still better drivers at .10 then cell phone or food eating or makeup applying drivers are. And .08 is a joke, i'm sorry but 2 or 3 beers does not get me buzzed unless i've been in the hot sun all day without eating, yet 2 or 3 beers with dinner can put me over .08.

I mean for goodness sakes its just a voice over.

Well define drunk. According to MADD women I may have driven drunk. I'm not a fan of these MADD women because they were one of the movers behind getting the feds to force all states to lower the legal limit from .10 to .08.

Most people are still better drivers at .10 then cell phone or food eating or makeup applying drivers are. And .08 is a joke, i'm sorry but 2 or 3 beers does not get me buzzed unless i've been in the hot sun all day without eating, yet 2 or 3 beers with dinner can put me over .08.

I mean for goodness sakes its just a voice over.

yep, got pulled over with a .08... i loved how the city, court system and classes make you feel like your a piece of shit... i understand people with like .15 levels and stuff.. hell, my .08 in class was the lowest, everyone else was a .13 or higher. but they still made me into a pos.. i that i dont agree with that.

yep, got pulled over with a .08... i loved how the city, court system and classes make you feel like your a piece of shit... i understand people with like .15 levels and stuff.. hell, my .08 in class was the lowest, everyone else was a .13 or higher. but they still made me into a pos.. i that i dont agree with that.

The state does a great job of defining drunk for you. 0.08

Just curious ... if you were able to successfully operate a motor vehicle at 0.08, and you had perfect control your vehicle and movements, then why did you get pulled over? Was the police officer profiling you? Did he see you leave a party and follow you until you did something wrong? Did he pull you over because he was bored?

I'm expecting to hear that you didn't run stop signs, you weren't weaving in your lane, you were in full control, and you drove like a boy scout all the way home. This leaves .. speeding. Maybe I'm crazy, but if you knew you had alcohol in your system, then why would you speed? Seems like a given that you wouldn't speed.

My point: I'm not understanding why you are blaming the state for catching your drunk driving. You know that the legal limit is 0.08. So, like it or not, you were driving drunk according to statute, whether you feel you were in control or not ...

I know you are saying that people way above the limit should be treated worse than those who are lower. But, why? You are both driving drunk as defined by the state ...

Edited by SVT_MAN

I wouldn't mind Ford pulling Sutherland from the ads, I must admit. He's not good for the image, and a bad image is the last thing Ford needs.

And yes, drunk driving makes you an asshole, IMO, no matter what the level. Sure, it's "not a big deal"...until you crash into someone. Then you're screwed. No wait. First you go to jail. THEN you're screwed. :)

And yes, drunk driving makes you an asshole, IMO, no matter what the level. Sure, it's "not a big deal"...until you crash into someone. Then you're screwed. No wait. First you go to jail. THEN you're screwed. :)

As long as you don't limit your thoughts on assholes to only those who are drinking. Those texting and making phone calls, eating cheeseburgers, putting on makeup, shaving, changing shirts, etc. They're all just as guilty of being stupid.

As long as you don't limit your thoughts on assholes to only those who are drinking. Those texting and making phone calls, eating cheeseburgers, putting on makeup, shaving, changing shirts, etc. They're all just as guilty of being stupid.
I know that. I'm just surprised that (on this board, at least) people still find it socially acceptable to risk their own and others lives just because they want a buzz.