Detroit News Talks up the F-150

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me down as "not quite fond of the grille"

The new towing package includes a state-of-the-art trailer sway mitigation system. Developed by Robert Bosch GmbH, it uses the truck's roll stability control system, also standard on all models, to bring the vehicle under control if the trailer it is towing begins to sway.

"We really wanted to make a statement on safety and give people the confidence to use the truck's towing capability," said Matt O'Leary, the chief engineer on the F-150 program. "It comes from listening to our customers."

However this is one of those innovations that is going to have GM and Dodge (and Toyota and Nissan) smacking their heads and thinking, "Why didn't we think of that?"

That is just a totally smart idea--it's blindingly obviously now that someone's actually done it. Tacky grille aside, this is EXACTLY why the F150 is where it is today.

Ram actually got that last year (the trailer sway control) (MY08)

What's New for 2008

The 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 gains a revised 4.7-liter V8 which boasts more power and somewhat better fuel economy. Trailer Sway Control has been added to the optional stability control, while four-wheel-drive models get a revised steering linkage.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I absolutely hate the look.... The Grill is way too big for that size truck. Ford has removed any possibility of be buying another F-150 any time soon...

As I said in another post, I think that they are moving in the WRONG direction.....

I thought that the Trundra was ugly, but I think this one is worse....

Those storage areas look really useful. Interior looks typical Chrysler - design isn't bad but materials are likely hard plastic.

I bet those storage areas are limited to short boxes and they look like they encroach on the total size of the box itself...not a bad option for a lifestyle truck

The interior reminds me of the F-150 design wise, they both have center stack divided up vents, but I'm willing to wager money that Ford has better quatily plastics on their trucks vs Dodge

I like the look of the grilles (yes, Virginia...there is more than one) and the Platinum grille would look even better when you break out the spray can of Krylon in matte black and "black out" the egg crates. I did that when I was "a kid" to my 1976 Torino and loved the results. Anyhow....this thing is a hit and will retain F-150's dominance in the hotly contested light truck field. Now to add a dual mode hybrid system and an EcoBoost motor for maximum MPG and performance, this thing will send the Tundra home crying

The Rambox option may use up a small portion of the bed, I don't know. The PUTC article says that a sheet of plywood will still lay flat between the wheelwells. As addressed in the PUTC forum, I do wonder if a hard tonneau cover will fit. My guess is if it does, it will require a design specifically engineered for the Ram. My guess is that buyers will have to pass on the Rambox if they want a cover.

I am not a truck guy, but I think the interior is awesome. But it doesn't look like a total redesign on the outside. Looks bigger, almost like an F250. Looks bold, but it ain't pretty!

I agree. Now if the Ede could have an interior remotely close to this it would be awesome. I am surprise at the fact that this grill is not among the pictures released. http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-ford-f...y-shots/499696/

Hate to say it but just based on the pictures, looks like the new Ram has bested the new F-150.

What is Ford thinking? I thought the new Super Dutys were hideous but this one - I dunno it just looks fugly to me.

But I'll reserve final judgment until I see them in person.

I am surprise at the fact that this grill is not among the pictures released. http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2009-ford-f...y-shots/499696/

It is, just that the surround on it is painted. While I'm not liking what I've seen of the grills so far on the F-150 (maybe they will look better in person) its not enough to ruin the truck and to redesign a grill is pretty easy or get an aftermarket one...

It is, just that the surround on it is painted. While I'm not liking what I've seen of the grills so far on the F-150 (maybe they will look better in person) its not enough to ruin the truck and to redesign a grill is pretty easy or get an aftermarket one...

I don't care much for the Platinum grill but the rest of them are OK.

Current one doesn't have that problem..

I don't think the current one is that well integrated. This one is pretty much hidden.

The truck looks very aggressive, the Platinum (remember) is supposed to take the place of the LT so I guess it needs some bling. Still not a big fan of the grille though. Overall it seems Ford went very aggressive on the outside and appears to take the lead in interior refinement.

Then you have the Ram. The re-style is not enough. Both the exterior and interior are pretty much lame duck and don't do much to change the game.

Ram looks good, the F150 looks tough, I like--as with the Super Duty, the less chrome intensive grilles, but folks, rumor has it the Ram is going nowhere in the towing and payload arena. And I never thought I'd say this, but the Ram's sides and rear look boring--no detailing, just lots and lots of metal.

Granted, that's better than the odd lumps of the Tundra, but I was still kind of surprised that the rest of the truck, aft of the face, looks like it's made out of butter.

The Ram interior looks like a knock-off of the previous F150's---

Oh, and one huge functional beef about ye olde Ram: WHY IS THE CRUISE CONTROL NEXT TO THE DRIVER'S KNEE?

dg009_021rm.jpg

09f150platinum_20_hr.jpg

Nice. In photos, its looks vary with angle of view.

IMHO, a good change.

Tthere is a lot of new hi-tech arriving in this vehicle over the next 24 months, so visually separating it from the current model is important.

Why? Because driving a full-size pickup is becoming "uncool", as full-size pickups are seen increasingly as gas-guzzling, and ecologically foul. With the new F-150, it makes a statement of efficiency.

09f150fx4_12_mr.jpg

Edited by Edstock

After going through all the Autoblog photos - I really like the exterior overall. There are some angles and trims that look less appealing than others, but the truck is overall very attractive.

The interior looks very nice as well... except what is with all those buttons? And what will happen to this fully integrated stack on stripper models?

Other than those two questions, I simply await the specifications.

Edited by focus05