range

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NEW FACTORY CUSTOMIZED 2009 EDGE SPORT DEBUTS

- Chicago Auto Show marks the debut for the 2009 Ford Edge Sport, providing a factory-quality, customized model to America’s best-selling crossover.

- The Edge Sport features standard 20- or optional 22-inch wheels, low-profile tires, exterior modifications and interior enhancements, lending it a dynamic look and feel.

- 2009 Ford Edge Sport will be available this fall.

CHICAGO, Feb. 5, 2008 – Ford is providing still more sizzle for America’s best-selling mid-size crossover, introducing a new factory-customized model – the 2009 Edge Sport.

“The new Ford Edge Sport is designed to instantly appeal to crossover customers who want a sportier custom look and feel,” said John Felice, general manager, Ford Division. “This specialty design reflects the growing popularity of personalization and more customers’ interest in industry shows like the annual Hot Import Nights around the country and the Specialty Equipment Market Association Show in Las Vegas.”

The Sport model – which joins the SE, SEL and Limited models in the range – makes the Ford Edge the first vehicle in its segment to offer a customized model. Its modern, athletic design, flexible package and unique features like VistaRoof™ and SYNC helped sell 130,125 Edge units in 2007, making it the nation’s top-selling crossover. The new Edge Sport model will further distinguish it from competitors.

Edge Becomes Even Sportier

Edge Sport stands on even bolder, available 22-inch polished aluminum wheels or the standard 20-inch premium painted wheels with branded center hubs. Low-profile, 40-series Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires complete the look, giving Edge Sport an aggressive stance.

This marks the first time that a 22-inch wheel-and-tire combination has been offered on a crossover. The eight-piece Edge Sport body kit includes a unique front air dam, side skirts, lower door caps and a rear skirt, all finished in body color, instead of the dark lower on other Edge models. The front air dam features integrated fog lamps and a lower grille insert. These elements combine with the unique wheels and tires to provide a sporty personality.

Details, like custom Sport badging, polished dual exhaust tips emerging from openings in the rear skirt and “foundry gray” smoked headlamp and taillamp lenses, add to its purposeful look.

In addition to lustrous Sport Blue paint on the model highlighted at the Chicago Auto Show, Edge Sport will be available in Ebony, Brilliant Silver and Redfire. Inside, dark gray leather seats feature unique suede-feel patterned inserts in a combination of light and dark gray. Contrasting, light gray stitching gives the seats a premium appeal. The contrasting stitched leather also is used on the Edge Sport steering wheel and shift knob.

Edge Sport is further distinguished by an appealing etched metal effect on the instrument panel center console.

“While custom-made to appeal to customers, Edge Sport is smart business,” said Mark Fields, president of The Americas. “The aftermarket industry has grown to a $40 billion annual business, and crossovers are the fastest-growing vehicle segment in the U.S. We want customers who crave something special to know that Ford can customize their Edge – right at the factory.”

Edited by range

Looks incredible, too bad they added NOTHING sporting to it, huge wheels slow cars down, and hurt braking, and with these things having mediocre brakes already, I wonder this thing will stop with heavy 22's.

A shame considering how good this looks, the Edge was made for a good body kit and big wheels, if only they had upgraded the brakes and given it more power..

Here's some pics of a customized Edge I saw out here in L.A.

post-122-1202200956_thumb.jpg

post-122-1202201034_thumb.jpg

post-122-1202201061_thumb.jpg

Well I thought the braking issue was taken care of with the new Model year?

Anyways...looks pretty good, I wouldn't mind getting one, though I'm sure replacing the tires on it would cost a small fortune!

As for people wanting more performance out of it, why? Its not like the the Edge is a slouch when it comes to performance in its group, not to mention the focus on making cars more fuel effencet and meeting future CAFE ratings should be first and foremost. Most people buy things for looks (V6 Mustang) then performance. If this package is under 5K then its worth it, but if its more then that, its downright stupid.

Looks incredible, too bad they added NOTHING sporting to it, huge wheels slow cars down, and hurt braking, and with these things having mediocre brakes already, I wonder this thing will stop with heavy 22's.

A shame considering how good this looks, the Edge was made for a good body kit and big wheels, if only they had upgraded the brakes and given it more power..

Here's some pics of a customized Edge I saw out here in L.A.

It brakes harder, from the extra grip of the tires. Also, it has a stiffened suspension to go along with those 22s, so its more responsive and corners faster.

How would I know? I've been working on these upgrades for a while.

Swizco

Wow, I really like the way that looks. But yeah....no engine/suspension upgrades?

when you order the 20" wheel option on the '08 it also lists sport suspension. With the Std 20" wheels it seems that would become std as well.

What other options and featured will be added for the '09 model year.

I like it. They are tuning the Edges now where the SCT flash-type tunes now get it to 298hp. They also have a sport package in 08 with re-tuned springs, and this one looks lower. I leased this one and may be interested in buying something like that in 09. Personally I would prefer to do my own brake mods like a larger rotors(eradispeed 2-piece +1 kits) ceramic pads and SS lines would be plenty for that. It doesn't really say anything about engines(as I think Ford isn't all that sure what they hell they are doing with them in 2 years yet), but I would be fine with the D35 and a tune/transmission reprogram/throttle remap. Ford's newer motors are tuned rediculously safe from the factory. I think the people bitching about 400hp this and that wouldn't be buying one anyway, they just like bitching.

If you haven't driven a 05+ Mustang(let alone an auto) with a good tune including the trans/throttle tweaks, it's like night and day from stock. As they come out with a few good CAI's, the curent Edge's motor can be massaged to around 300hp.

And I agree, they should add the MKX's chrome mirror caps, which can be had for under $70 anyway from a Ford/Lincoln dealer. You can also get the MKX's chrome door handles(replacements not caps) for about $160 and can replace them without even taking off the door panels.

Edited by kevinb120

I could admit it...but I am not a liar.

just bi-polar....hahahaha, P you probably haven't even driven one, they drive FANTASTIC, definitely one of Fords best efforts, but problem is your mind is made up on vehicles before you even give them a chance.........broaden the horizons and open ones mind Little Grasshopper...