Time to buy SUV, F-150?

FordBuyer

Ford in Metro Detroit now has almost $7,000 in rebates and incentives on the Explorer. That will buy a lot of gas. Great buy if you don't drive it a lot of miles and use a compact car as your commuter car. Lease rates are down to $179/month, better than Focus. Most Metro Detroit Ford buyers get A, Z, or X plan which means more off of sticker price. I can't think of a better time to buy an Explorer or 2008 F-150 if you always wanted one but couln't afford one. Buy a used Focus to drive to work during week and your truck is at home for weekend projects and special needs. And if fuel prices ever moderate nicely and go back down to under $3 for extended time the value of your SUV or pickup goes back up and deal becomes even better over time. It's called buying low and selling high. I have noticed that in last few months used Focus vehicles have gone up in value. 2006 Focus at Dealer going for $13,995 and nicely packaged 2006 F-150 with Triton motor can be had for under $19,000. Hell, go for the deal. So many people are panicing and losing more money by trading in their truck and paying top dollar for a roller skate.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford in Metro Detroit now has almost $7,000 in rebates and incentives on the Explorer. That will buy a lot of gas. Great buy if you don't drive it a lot of miles and use a compact car as your commuter car. Lease rates are down to $179/month, better than Focus. Most Metro Detroit Ford buyers get A, Z, or X plan which means more off of sticker price. I can't think of a better time to buy an Explorer or 2008 F-150 if you always wanted one but couln't afford one. Buy a used Focus to drive to work during week and your truck is at home for weekend projects and special needs. And if fuel prices ever moderate nicely and go back down to under $3 for extended time the value of your SUV or pickup goes back up and deal becomes even better over time. It's called buying low and selling high. I have noticed that in last few months used Focus vehicles have gone up in value. 2006 Focus at Dealer going for $13,995 and nicely packaged 2006 F-150 with Triton motor can be had for under $19,000. Hell, go for the deal. So many people are panicing and losing more money by trading in their truck and paying top dollar for a roller skate.

Interesting case. I know those POS 2005-07 Foci (naysayers not me) will be in demand now. I lost an opportunity for a 07 ZX3 w/SAP. Good luck finding one now. I'm keeping a eye on Auto Trader to see if the dealers will ask for more now.

As for a truck or SUV as a second vehicle, we'll see.

So what if F Truck sales fall further this month, will incentives get even higher?

If they can afford to throw $7,000 away, they can afford a lot more!!!

value of used yugo is up $350 in just last month..and i say wait a month to buy f150 or right after 09 new f150 hits the lots...$7k rebates on f150's is here as well

All I've seen and read on TV states that they aren't increasing any supply, and even if it did, not enough to drop it under $3. I dont have an issue with $5gal gas though, I'm seeing less and less people out on the road, less congession, less wait in lines at the malls...Not a bad thing ;)

All I've seen and read on TV states that they aren't increasing any supply, and even if it did, not enough to drop it under $3. I dont have an issue with $5gal gas though, I'm seeing less and less people out on the road, less congession, less wait in lines at the malls...Not a bad thing ;)

It is happening, it just does not happen overnight. US active rig count in the highest in 25 years. Brazil is leasing 3/4 of the worlds off shore platforms right for its new off shore fields. bakken shale in in North Dakota is about to get developed. Saudi is supposed to be bringing some big project online in the next year or so.

But I agree $3 gas is good for us in the long run. It is going to force us to economize as world demand for this resource is going up.

At $130/barrel more supply is going to come online, so it is just a matter of when on prices coming down.

Yes, that will take 5 years. By then Chinese demand with make US consumption of oil look small. You will see real pressure on supplies from Mexico, North Sea and maybe Russia in the next 2 to 3 years.

I think oil is overpriced today but in 2 to 3 years, expect much higher prices.

Hope Ford has their new small cars out by then.

It is happening, it just does not happen overnight. US active rig count in the highest in 25 years. Brazil is leasing 3/4 of the worlds off shore platforms right for its new off shore fields. bakken shale in in North Dakota is about to get developed. Saudi is supposed to be bringing some big project online in the next year or so.

But I agree $3 gas is good for us in the long run. It is going to force us to economize as world demand for this resource is going up.

All true.

All available rigs have been fully leased for years. Bakken is very capital intensive. It requires special rigs and special techology. Bakken is now small and can only be expanded at a given rate. I calculated that the Saudi big project could be more costly per barrel than getting oil out of the Oil Sands. Oil Sands has environmental problems to be solved before it can achieve huge growth in supply.

I don't think prices will drop anytime soon as a result of increased supply. Any price drop will have to come from the use of technology to reduce the demand side.

Amagine if the world could double oil producton in the next 20 Years, China, Inda and the other Bric countries would just suck it all up.

Unfortunately, oil prices will be drive by the health of the world economy. The economy with be driven by oil prices.

Edited by battyr

Buying a car or truck in general is a gamble right now. I like the look of the current Fusion, but I know the '10 will have better engine options with better MPGs. If I knew gas would go down to $3 or under, I would probably buy an Edge or an F-150.... Its all a hedge right now, and thats the biggest thing thats kept me from pulling the trigger.

Yeah I'm thinking of buying a new vehicle. Not sure what to buy though.

It has to haul a family of four plus a dog and a car trailer and enough room to pack all the food and camping gear.....hmm....a 4 door full size truck...or a focus....hmmm....well a focus is better on gas... :finger:

On that note, tomorrow night I'm hauling a guys new boat for him. He only has a car (civic) and I'm charging him $50.00. Since it will be $50.00 every time from the lake to his home and that's only when I'm available, he decided he needs a truck. Yes he's concerned with fuel...BUT HE NEEDS THE TRUCK OR BE OPEN TO WHATEVER PEOPLE CHARGE HIM TO HAUL IT!!

Some people drive a truck because it's higher/better view/safer/whatever, but everybody I know who owns a truck bought it because they NEED it.

value of used yugo is up $350 in just last month..and i say wait a month to buy f150 or right after 09 new f150 hits the lots...$7k rebates on f150's is here as well

Yugo? I thought that all of those had turned to rust already. I am seeing some ratty Geo Metros being put back on the road though. (Hey, lets put some tires on that lawn ornament - its cheaper to fill up than the pickup!)

If you need a work truck, there are plenty of used trucks out there that were never used as work trucks, and if you don't need a work truck, but a second vehicle, why would anyone, except those that made a "D" in math, saddle themselves with payments on a new low mileage vehicle, with increasing fuel prices, whose value will take a dive the minute you drive it off the lot?

If you need a work truck, there are plenty of used trucks out there that were never used as work trucks, and if you don't need a work truck, but a second vehicle, why would anyone, except those that made a "D" in math, saddle themselves with payments on a new low mileage vehicle, with increasing fuel prices, whose value will take a dive the minute you drive it off the lot?

Maybe some people aren't so broke they need to post on forums to make their rent. Maybe those people enjoy having a NEW vehicle. Maybe that NEW vehicle gets better fuel economy than some used beater pickup. That NEW truck will also likely have better reliability and better safety. Go find another forum to pay-to-post on, troll.

Maybe some people aren't so broke they need to post on forums to make their rent. Maybe those people enjoy having a NEW vehicle. Maybe that NEW vehicle gets better fuel economy than some used beater pickup. That NEW truck will also likely have better reliability and better safety. Go find another forum to pay-to-post on, troll.

Posting proof that P.T. Barnum was correct.

If supply vs demand was so cut and dry, prices might not drop right away because of increased supply. But a lot of the reason the prices are so high is because of the speculators. If news gets out that are going to start drilling in ANWAR, off the coast, and build some new refineries, etc it will be happy days are here again.

Sign this petition if you want to drill here, drill now, so we can pay less:

http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncen...7b-346a1e096659

If supply vs demand was so cut and dry, prices might not drop right away because of increased supply. But a lot of the reason the prices are so high is because of the speculators. If news gets out that are going to start drilling in ANWAR, off the coast, and build some new refineries, etc it will be happy days are here again.

Sign this petition if you want to drill here, drill now, so we can pay less:

http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncen...7b-346a1e096659

That is just wishful thinking.

There is more known oil and gas in Iraq than anyplace in the world except SA and 90% of Iraq is unexplored, and everyone knows that, yet the price of oil is over $130 a barrel. By the time, 2025 arrives and ANWR is at peak production, Iraq could be pumping out multipleX the 800K barrels/day expected from ANWR. Iraq only has 2000 wells, Texas has 1MM.

Don't get your hopes up because Iraq is a member of OPEC and OPEC is not going to allow Iraq to flood the market with cheap oil.

BTW, the oil from ANWR will be sold on the open market and not kept here in the USA.

I don't understand this "blame the speculators" talk. It's just convenient myth. In the commodities markets, there is a seller for every buyer. There are just as many contracts sold as bought....in every market in the world.

As long as sellers demand higher prices...and can get it....whether in the markets or at the pump, prices go up. The current momentum is up....obviously.

But when the tide turns....and the momentum is down....and buyers refuse to pay higher prices....and when sellers have to take lower prices if they wish to sell....whether in the markets or at the pump.....then prices go down....just the same way they went up.

These so called speculators are just investors who trade the oil markets. This is just how they make their living, There are oil investors with lots of money, or maybe it's your neighbor. There is nothing unusual about how this is working....except the huge amount of money being invested at this time....on both sides of the trade.

What causes prices to go up is the tight supply and strong demand....which traders know all about. They know supply is tight and demand strong, so are asking high prices for their contracts or their production. You would do the same. If you had an oil well in your back yard, and either sold your production, or sold the right to it (a futures contract), would you not demand the highest price available. Now multiply that by hundreds of thousands of producers and investors for the current picture.

When this oil market collapses....just like the housing bubble and dot com stocks before that....it won't be pretty for the oil industry. I won't cry for them. But also don't blame them for current situation.

Edited by Ralph Greene