unibody explorer delayed?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-delays-ex...eplacement.html

Code-named U502, Ford’s first unibody Explorer was set to start down the production line in July 2010 at Ford’s Torrance Avenue plant in Chicago. Supplier sources now say the start of production has been delayed until at least September. While at least one rumor of a longer delay has come across our desk, for now the solid information points to September.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the link stated "supplier sources", I would have to guess it's the suppliers probably causing the delay. I would think the recent economic turmoil and bankruptcies are hurting the suppliers.

But yeah, 2 months. Big whoop. It'll still won't be the flop the Camaro is!

When it comes to D3, anything is possible. That platform seems to be the kiss of death......

D3, D4, etc.

Couldn't they apply to it a smaller Volvo chassis? The new Taurus, MKS are fine for a BIG car, but isn't it time for something a bit smaller and more importantly.......lighter?

D3, D4, etc.

Couldn't they apply to it a smaller Volvo chassis? The new Taurus, MKS are fine for a BIG car, but isn't it time for something a bit smaller and more importantly.......lighter?

Something smaller and lighter for what? We won't see any new smaller platforms until the Fusion and Mondeo join to a common platform in a few years.

Since the link stated "supplier sources", I would have to guess it's the suppliers probably causing the delay. I would think the recent economic turmoil and bankruptcies are hurting the suppliers.

That is one heck of an assumption. Suppliers have to know the time table for when a said product is to be ready for production. This stuff doesn't happen over night. :banghead:

So what is the delay?

The plant should be of the same design as the other Flex plants, unless they are doing something new in manufacturing technology.

If the Explorer was just another version of the Flex based of the D32, it would be out much sooner. I wonder if it is the next version of the platform? Maybe D33, D4?

If it is going to be called an Explorer, it should be tougher with a tougher transaxle and better towing ability. I wonder if it is getting a new transaxle that won't be ready on time?

2 month delay means scheduling conflicts, probably.

I don't think we know enough. Delays like this can happen for a variety of reasons. Ford has a lot riding on this vehicle, so it could have been lack of firm decisions early in the process that were unable to be made up later in development. Or maybe late changes. Or maybe engineering workload with reduced staffing (I assume that's what you meant by scheduling conflicts). Or maybe there are some issues with components.

If it's only 2 months, it's not a huge deal, but Ford needs to fill in Chicago ASAP, and also move the Explorer out of Louisville to start the renovations for small car production, so it can't slip too much.

So what is the delay?

The plant should be of the same design as the other Flex plants, unless they are doing something new in manufacturing technology.

If the Explorer was just another version of the Flex based of the D32, it would be out much sooner. I wonder if it is the next version of the platform? Maybe D33, D4?

If it is going to be called an Explorer, it should be tougher with a tougher transaxle and better towing ability. I wonder if it is getting a new transaxle that won't be ready on time?

I don't think there would be any transaxle issues. Don't forget, the SHO now has a modified version of the 6-speed that should handle most anything if it's needed.

Although the platform is the same, my speculation is that some of the suspension bits will have to be new for increased ride height (longer arms). And of course the tophat is all new as well as interior. So this is a major program that is just a bit more difficult than the Flex.

There shouldn't be any major issues in the plant as the Explorer takes the place of the Taurus X and the manufacturing community has known this vehicle is coming for quite some time.

I just checked out the new Explorer sitting in front of house in Plymouth, MI. It was a Taurus X with the grafted on Explorer front end. I was able to see the dashboard, it was similar to new F-150. The vehicle sat up higher than Taurus X and had more of a truck like angular appearance including the interior. The front end was very truck like. It has dual exhaust and I assume Ecoboost. Tons of test equipment lined the interior. By the look of this test mule, the new Explorer can't be much more than year away from launce.

I just checked out the new Explorer sitting in front of house in Plymouth, MI. It was a Taurus X with the grafted on Explorer front end. I was able to see the dashboard, it was similar to new F-150. The vehicle sat up higher than Taurus X and had more of a truck like angular appearance including the interior. The front end was very truck like. It has dual exhaust and I assume Ecoboost. Tons of test equipment lined the interior. By the look of this test mule, the new Explorer can't be much more than year away from launce.

Pictures?

...If it is going to be called an Explorer, it should be tougher with a tougher transaxle and better towing ability. I wonder if it is getting a new transaxle that won't be ready on time?

With three row seating, the Explorer may be a good replacement for my Taurus X some day. I'd like the greater clearance for the rolling over the rocky roads to get to the mountain bike trails. Measuring around underneath, the T-X generally has over 7" clearance but drops under ~6" clearance at a point just under the engine. I barely made it over the rock litter on some of the nasty dirt 'roads' in Moab, Utah, Fruita, CO and Gooseberry Mesa, NV last year.

And I sure hope the Explorer has better towing capability than my Taurus X, or it's dead. I only use a 4-bike rack at under 200 lbs (including the four bikes and rack), but with the bikes sticking way far out, the torque on the receiver is horrendous. I got a Category III hitch just for the torque, but the load still ripped out the undercarriage of my T-X within a few uses of the rack.

Fortunately, I got a local sheet metal shop to repair and beef up the rails for the higher torque of my 200 lbs of bikes. Hopefully the Explorer will have heavier rails. Here's pictures of the lower right rail of my new T-X, before and after the repair.

taurusx%20frame%20rips.jpgtaurus%20x%20frame%20repairs.jpg

Edited by LarryQW

I think most here have been calling it D32, as in D3 Version 2.

As far as we're concerned here, D32 = D4, at least I know I've used them interchangably (sp?).

That was convenient that it was in front of your house.

Most importantly, though.....did it have the big RED "stop" button?