Camaro quality control issues

chevys

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lengthy — and sometimes hilarious — checklist includes such worrying entries as loose oil-pan bolts and oil-cooler leaks; "mismatched paint on parts of the vehicle;" hoods that won't unlatch, intermittent air-conditioning operation; loose emblems and interior trim pieces and misaligned and poorly fitting body panels.

Umm, this is funny?

That's actually a brand-spanking-new innovation developed by the "new" GM. :hysterical:

Unfortunately, the self-detaching interior body panels aren't new. Back in 2002, a coworker bought a new Z28. The first day he had it, we took it for lunch and the rear speaker cover fell off in my lap.

Unfortunately, the self-detaching interior body panels aren't new. Back in 2002, a coworker bought a new Z28. The first day he had it, we took it for lunch and the rear speaker cover fell off in my lap.

:hysterical:

GM's developed some great stuff, haven't they?

Lots going on, including a random-spring action clutch!

So I just got home from the dragstrip. It was 90+ degrees outside with about 95% humidity. I made 15 passes on the car with no issues. The last pass, I do my burnout and get them nice and hot. I launched at about 4500 and it actually hooked, pulled hard through 1st. Went to grab second and the clutch pedal was only about 3" from the floor. I immediatly let out of the gas thinking I blew the clutch out of it. I get back to the return road, pushed the clutch in and it popped right back up like always. I stopped, put it in first, took it up to about 3500 and dumped it. It grabbed like always. Now, when I got back to my pit, it noticed it did throw a code and made the SES light come on. I reset the battery and it went out. I also drove it back home apx. 30 minutes and it was like nothing happened? Anybody any guesses? Did it maybe boil the hydraulic fluid in the clutch?

Sad day for me folks! I just got a call from my chevy dealership and they told me that i just killed the clutch of my 2010 2TL Bumble bee. With less than a 1,000 miles my BB was driving like a charm, until yesterday mourning when I put it on 1st gear and wasn't going anywhere. Did i glazed it like H&E Motorsports (Hinson) mentioned on his C5 or my old traditional standard driving? How sensative are these hydraulic clutchs?

To save some $ GM is using the same reservoir for the two, I can you see it now in 1 year we will have to Have the ABS replaced or repaired because of the Clutch dust in your brake master cylinder.

Another weekend another problem with the car, just got car out of garage monday from broken transmission/output shaft, now another broke part rear cv shaft to right tire, shifted 1-2 leaving my house give it a little gas after shift and pop broken, still managed to drive slow in reverse back to house, pretty much was just a normal acceleration leaving my place..

im furious, youd think this car could hold up a little better !

under my spoiler on the passenger side, under the spoiler my paint seems to be rubbing off. anyone else have this issue? and is that under warranty?
Edited by PREMiERdrum

So I just got home from the dragstrip. It was 90+ degrees outside with about 95% humidity. I made 15 passes on the car with no issues.

Not to say that the Camaro is a wonderful piece of engineering, but this scenario is pretty darn harsh for ANY new vehicle to endure right out of the box. Every time I've been to the track, I've been lucky to get in 3 or 4 passes. Must have been one slow day at his track.

The last pass, I do my burnout and get them nice and hot.

And this demonstrates the owner's outright stupidity. The only reason to do a burnout on radial tires is to clean debris off them. Trying to make them "hot" isn't going to do anything except keep Mr. Tire and NTB in business.

Edited by NickF1011

This list is meant to serve as a comprehensive (perhaps overly) checklist of things to check for upon delivery, and should not be interpreted as widespread quality-control issues with the 2010 Camaor.

Camaor??? LOL! Seems to me the camaro is suited for it's intended clientelle! LOL!

(Man, even quality control is fubar) LOL!

wait a second is this all a joke?

how can any car made in 2009 have this many issues so soon? i know its gm and all but this is getting to be just ridiculous.

WT:censored:

I don't think I would joke about a pony car!

Head over to the camaro5.com boards and click on the "Problems and Warranty Issues" section.

It'll blow your mind.

How long until "new" GM blames the car's problems on it being designed by "old" GM?

Not to say that the Camaro is a wonderful piece of engineering, but this scenario is pretty darn harsh for ANY new vehicle to endure right out of the box. Every time I've been to the track, I've been lucky to get in 3 or 4 passes. Must have been one slow day at his track.

And this demonstrates the owner's outright stupidity. The only reason to do a burnout on radial tires is to clean debris off them. Trying to make them "hot" isn't going to do anything except keep Mr. Tire and NTB in business.

I had a couple thousand miles on my 03 GT Vert when I went to a website event 800+ miles from home, where I basically could run at will. I hot-lapped that sucka probably 40 times in one day , Then I drove it home, No issues.

I love the John Force radial burnout crew at the track. It ensures their tires are greazy goo-balls, and I should get a couple lengths head start while they are spinning through the 60'. :finger:

Edited by Hoser768

Lots of paint problems popping up today:

OK so I have had my Camaro for a few weeks and already found that the paint is coming off on the rear bumper in the seam where it is next to the quarter panel.

Ditto, I have the same problem in the same place. I also notices how soft the paint was on the front bumper. Any small rocks/sand of the road causes a chip, I'm going w/ a 3m invisible bra. GM can do better than this.

K, I got mine back last wk from my dealers body shop. They repainted both sides of the bumper but again it's peeling off. I have to take it back on the 27th to be redone again. After the 3rd attempt I beleive it's considered a lemon. I hate to say it but if it's not fixed this time I'm getting my money back. I love my car but GM is dropping the ball on QC w this car, one issue after another and they keep trying a quick fix to remedy it. I paid cash for my car and waited like the rest of u so long for the car to come out. But when I could have bought whatever I wanted and opted for this I never expected so many issues. I'm trying to be patient but GM needs to fix these issues at the plant and if not have a better gameplan for QC!

I have the same problem with the paint rubbing off both the frt & rear bumpers. It looks as if they were just bolted on too tightly and the flexing of the car while driving is causing it to rub the paint off. We took it back and the body shop tried to touch it up but that looked like CRAP!!! All the paint did was fill up the gap at the fender & quarters! The dealer is now gonna talk to GM rep and decide what next. I really don't want to paint the bumpers but I want this problem fixed.

And the hits keep on coming from Camaro5. This is the dealer check list now. :hysterical: :hysterical:

The list:

001. Loose Bolts that hold fluid back causing leaks (ex: on oil pan, tranny fluid)

002. Trunk Locking mechanism (issues with opening w/o adding down pressure to top of trunk first and/or emergency release appears to be loose keeping the trunk from locking properly)

003. Loose plastic paneling around the 4-gauges cluster, launch control, cigarette power plug as well as Left and Right A-Pillars Trim Loose, sill trim loose, and dash pannel where doors and dash meet popping open.

004. Loose Spoiler/installed correctly (Re-torque Spoiler bolts)

005. Wiper transmission cable overheating from engine causing a short circuit.

006. Matching Headlight Halos strength. (one defective being dimmer then the other).

007. Mismatched paint on parts of the vehicle (including gas door). As well as paint runs or clear coat runs. Paint Chips.

008. Loose Rocker Panel "Chevrolet" causing it to peel off.

009. Minor Problem With Window Indexing.

010. Ambient Lighting on doors defective.

011. Bad radiator (leaks).

012. Hood release/latch issues (won't unhook to open the hood).

013. Gap at base of ONStar Antenna.

014. Battery cable routing near the starter has been done.

015. Digital Speedometer is off. Also keeps going on and off.

016. Bottom pulley shakes and needs replacement per dealer.

017. Broken tranny.

018. Ignition Mechanism Issue with key getting stuck in car.

019. Non RS taillights installed on RS equipped cars (all 4 of them).

020. Rocker Panel aligned with body and clipped in correctly.

021. Bumper rubs with body

022. Trunk opens with switch and remote

023. Correct speedo/tach gauge ring color

023. Ambient lighting on drivers door as bright as passenger door

024. Doors gaps /alignment

025. Dirt/bubbles in rally stripes

026. Door panel not scratched from seat belt.

027. Shift knobs wearing out extremely fast could be faulty material

028. AC system stops blowing cold air in random durations, most likely blockage in AC drainage and/or AC draining into the car instead of beneath it

029. Clunking noise in changing gears

030. Trunk opens with remote and laser cut key

031. USB drive and aux port works

032. Squeaky Breaks

033. GFX installed correctly

034. Rims and tires in good condition (coming off carrier in bad condition/damaged)

035. Check for damage in the interior, basic procedure

036. Check the locking mechanism of both doors

037. Scraping sound for a second when backing up

038. SS emblem on trunk is loose

039. Loose interior windshield trim loose

040. The front GFX lip is not coming loose at the double sided tape

041. The front passenger brake rotors are not wearing with a dark colored groove

042. Hood latch handle on inside of cab doesn't retract properly (just hangs)

043. Scratches in seats

044. Oil cooler leaking

045. Once in every 10-15 times I unlock the car, the drivers side door is still locked, while

the locking knob on the door is in the "up" position

046. Faulty as gauge (improper readings)

047. Missing paint around the headlights

048. Bleed screw on clutch slave cylinder loose

049. Stickers on rockers peeling

050. Scratches on window pillars

051. Misaligned body & door panels as well as hood not centered properly (more to one side then the other)

052. Alignment of doors to dash interior the door interior seems to sag below the dash interior

053. Drivers side roof light( the one with the toggle switch) only works when its toggled over to the passenger side

054. Door sill decals peeling up

055. Paint swirls in driver/passenger door

056. Drive-shaft connection to the differential cracking when dropping the clutch

057. Tach Needle Sticking

058. Wiper motor wiring comes through bottom of the cowling-well in front of the driver. (The fix (decided upon between the dealer and myself) was to re-insulate the wires, cover the harness with a hard, slick plastic covering, drill a small hole in the bottom of the cowling-well (fill the hole with silicone) and use a cable tie down like the rest of the wiper harness uses to secure the harness to the floor of the cowling (the grommet will collapse downward with little force), far away from harm from the wiper arms.)

059. engine makes continuous clicking noise, starting roughly 5 seconds after engine starts

060. Door Sill plates wrinkled on outside edges (both sides)

061. Trunk gasket at bottom of rear window coming off

062. Uneven Dash (driver's side dash is lower then passenger's side)

063. Passenger/Driver's side Fender alignment off. (wheel cover well had to come off, then loosen fender bolt, and it pops right in place)

064. Key won't stay in folded position

065. Faulty Tail lights.

066. Weather stripping at back of rear windows loose (I can literally grab and peel it back).

067. Missing or peeling paint between trunk lid and spoiler (right rear section)--could possibly spread over time down the trunk lid.

068. Driver's seat makes clicking noises when set all the way back.

I just cant believe there has not been any responses@ Look at this shit. Its typical GM. What an embaresment for them. This car is a POS on the road. I would not expect much more from this POS company.

I really wonder how those that had to have it fell now. What a POS car this camro is. I relallly feel for them. This just sucks and maybe is not through the lineup. What a fuck up for GM though. Like they need it now. LOL. Oh goodness.

The 09 F150 has been good also. The super duties were plagued by the Navistar engine right? They are damn good trucks but I would be afraid of the diesel myself because of the horror stories I have read about.

The "flagship" Dearborn Truck was originally planned to be the lead plant for the launch of the '09 F150 but it had to be shifted to the Kansas City plant and delayed several months. As part of the "Way Forward" plan Ford had closed the Norfolk plant which had successfully launched the best selling F150s in history the 1996 and 2004.

The '09 had some issues including cracks in the new lighter frame but they were worked out in the extended time before the launch. The new truck turned out well considering the huge reductions Ford was making during it's development.

The "flagship" Dearborn Truck was originally planned to be the lead plant for the launch of the '09 F150 but it had to be shifted to the Kansas City plant and delayed several months. As part of the "Way Forward" plan Ford had closed the Norfolk plant which had successfully launched the best selling F150s in history the 1996 and 2004.

The '09 had some issues including cracks in the new lighter frame but they were worked out in the extended time before the launch. The new truck turned out well considering the huge reductions Ford was making during it's development.

Seems like on a few other forums I frequent, 09 F150 owners are having issues with the new 6-spd transmission. A TSB has fixed some of their issues, not all. But basically it sounds like it's slow to downshift when you get on it, including a harsh 1-2 and 2-1 shifts.

A few other misc items, such as sagging headliners, tires feathering/cupping under 10K miles, and a few nit picky items.

To contrast, look at the new product launches since then: Five Hundred, Fusion, Freestyle, 04 F150, 05 Mustang, 08 Focus: They've all had great launhes, save for the flamethrower Super Duties. :hysterical:

From my understanding, the 04 F150 had a good launch in the sales dept, but had its fair share of problems too. Maybe not as many as the Camaro, but still plenty and is why I waited until '06 to buy one. Hoping all the bugs were worked out, and I haven't had one. Well except for a speaker blowing and now the grille emblem discoloring.

Anyone else remember, shortly after the 2008 Tundra launch, how problems like these started popping up on the Tundra fansites? It's 2008 all over again, and GM is doing a good impression of Toyota doing GM...

Oh yeah, I still frequent a few Tundra sites for a laugh. Boy they think of these as no issue at all and they continue to have many of the same problems in the 2009 MY.

Well, they reported on ONE of the issues. They have yet to report on the spedometers being miscalibrated, A pillar trim falling off in hot weather, knocking in the engine, and serious paint problems. :hysterical:

Don't most, if not all GM motors knock? Or is it tap? Every Silverado/Sierra 5.3L I've been in has knocked or tapped.

There's a lot more important shit going on in the world these days than worrying about a vehicle that hasn't even sold 15,000 units to date.

Like what? The never ending Michael Jackson coverage?