2011 F450 sled pull

And it really doesn't look like they were working the truck that hard. It didn't appear to be spinning much (if at all) and just kind easily slowed to a stop. Looks like it had much more in it.

Hard to tell from that video but it doesn't squirm around as if it's struggling for traction.

If you didn't see the exhaust you'd think it was pulling a trailer from point A to point B.

I take it you guys never been to a truck/tractor pull?

It's called a full pull. THAT's why he eased off it at the end, the pull was over. You don't slap the throttle like a toggle switch, you ease into it as much as the traction will allow then when done ease off the throttle. If you have the traction you put it to the floor, if not you feather it until you do. (sometimes you never do and end up spinning to a stop)

I've seen guys do a full pull and take their foot out of it only to have the sled (which is hooked to a chain) slam into the ass of the truck. Yup, the guy looks like an idiot.

As far as I can see, it had good traction and powered through the whole pull and eased of at the end to finish. An awesome pull! The only question I would have is where was the massive hook hooked onto?

Normally if you just hook on the bumper/tow hitch you won't get the traction and just spin because you are pulling straight back. That's why they mount the hitch high on pull trucks so you are lifting the front of the sled which pulls the back of the truck down giving more traction. There is a legal limit, but most trucks will wheelstand if it's too high. Others put it at the high limit and put weight on the front to balance.

There is a lot more to it than throwing a chain on the bumper and driving away, there is actually a fair amount of science/math equations involved. (if the trucks that are competative, and that's not even going into gearing for wheelspeed or tire selection)

For a stock truck to hook up and go on dirt, with a presumed stock hookup? VERY IMPRESSIVE!

If your a ford hater or someone who has zero knowledge about pulling and spends all your time being an internet professional like the tools on there? Then yeah you wouldn't be impressed, you have no idea what is going on or what to compare it to, to be impressed. What a bunch of moronic comments eh?

I take it you guys never been to a truck/tractor pull?

It's called a full pull. THAT's why he eased off it at the end, the pull was over. You don't slap the throttle like a toggle switch, you ease into it as much as the traction will allow then when done ease off the throttle. If you have the traction you put it to the floor, if not you feather it until you do. (sometimes you never do and end up spinning to a stop)

I've seen guys do a full pull and take their foot out of it only to have the sled (which is hooked to a chain) slam into the ass of the truck. Yup, the guy looks like an idiot.

As far as I can see, it had good traction and powered through the whole pull and eased of at the end to finish. An awesome pull! The only question I would have is where was the massive hook hooked onto?

Normally if you just hook on the bumper/tow hitch you won't get the traction and just spin because you are pulling straight back. That's why they mount the hitch high on pull trucks so you are lifting the front of the sled which pulls the back of the truck down giving more traction. There is a legal limit, but most trucks will wheelstand if it's too high. Others put it at the high limit and put weight on the front to balance.

There is a lot more to it than throwing a chain on the bumper and driving away, there is actually a fair amount of science/math equations involved. (if the trucks that are competative, and that's not even going into gearing for wheelspeed or tire selection)

For a stock truck to hook up and go on dirt, with a presumed stock hookup? VERY IMPRESSIVE!

If your a ford hater or someone who has zero knowledge about pulling and spends all your time being an internet professional like the tools on there? Then yeah you wouldn't be impressed, you have no idea what is going on or what to compare it to, to be impressed. What a bunch of moronic comments eh?

It said it was hooked to a conventional hitch, so I'm guessing the stock hitch.

I couldn't tell for sure if it was a full pull...looked like he had let off before they waved the red flag. At any rate, very impressive for a stock truck!

Exactly. One other thing that needs to be mentioned is that pulling sleds are designed so that the farther you pull it the farther toward the front of the sled the weight moves making it increasingly harder to pull the farther you go. Pay attention to the very end of the video and you will see that after the truck comes to a stop you will see the weight begin to move back toward the rear of the sled. If you watch the weight during the pull you will also see it moving toward the front of the sled. Most of the older sleds actually had a transmission that controlled the rate of movement of the weight. Changing the trans into a different gear would change the speed at which the weight moved forward during the pull. Different gears would be used for different classes. The weight could thus be adjusted to move slower for the less powerful classes and faster for the big dogs.

I wonder if this was an official Ford marketing effort or if a test engineer just thought it would be fun to hook up? The video obviously wasn't Ford sourced, but maybe this pull will show up in some marketing material in the future.

I'm kinda leaning toward the latter....

Sup,

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I rolled off Matt's mom the other night she was saying how rediculous it was that he was discussed here so much. As for the truck, I think it would be perfect for pullinh his Mom off of me. Then again it could only move 30,000 pounds 300 ft. I may need something bigger.

What vehicles is this engine slated for?. 250, 350, or is it just for the bigger trucks.

Skape

This is the kind of publicity Ford needs regarding their new truck / engine. Grassroots proof!. Those of us that have attended sled pulls, know the crowd that attends are usually the working kind of crowd (trucks that is). If you can show off a STOCK truck making a full pull, you are showing something. All of the local pulls around me are dominated by Cummins. There are not too many Super Duties that even enter. The Cummins is one pulling machine. Too bad it is strapped in a Dodge.....