MKT... oh, so close

Now that said isnt the C-maxy max coming here?....and truth be told, i myself would be tickled with a 2 row optioned out ( less industrial interior amendments ala Europe ) better drivetrained ( 2.5 Fusion engine with either a 6 speed manual or auto ) Transit Connect

Edited by Deanh

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford has an opportunity, IMHO, to capture the smaller end of this segment with further development of the TC. All it will take is $4 a gallon.

The minivan market has been shrinking at a huge rate vs CUV style vehicles....even smaller ones. The TC is too Industrial for general consumer usage IMO, Doesn't have the same finesse and finish that a say an Escape or Edge would have.

I have been making that argument for years, and have been flamed for it the whole time.

Look at minivan sales over the past 10 years.

Look at CUV sales over the past 10 years.

Ford is not going to build another minivan anytime soon. The market decided this for them. It's not that we're not "compassionate". We're simply realistic.

Actually it was the fifth clue. The first 4 times she said it, I wasn't listening, like any typical husband.

Have her give it a second look and check out the interior. My wife didn't like the exterior looks either (actually, she still doesn't :)), but she fell in love with the interior. We've got 15,000 mostly trouble-free miles on ours. And I can sit in the 3rd row (I'm 5'-10") pretty comfortably.

If the Sienna worked, just get another one. I think they're fugly but I must admit they're reliable, well-built, and get the job done. Mercury should have a family hauler that isn't so damn polarizing as the MKT and Flex. IMO, one is a box, and the other is a nasty bling station wagon. I wish Mercury would have something in the dimensions of a Buick Enclave...offering nice cargo space, elegance, and good mileage.

Have her give it a second look and check out the interior. My wife didn't like the exterior looks either (actually, she still doesn't :)), but she fell in love with the interior. We've got 15,000 mostly trouble-free miles on ours. And I can sit in the 3rd row (I'm 5'-10") pretty comfortably.

Well, my neighbor has a Flex and she's ridden in it a few times. She still can't get past the exterior.

And it's not that looks are the only thing that she's focused on. (Otherwise she wouldn't have married me).

Her preferred seating layout is 2+2+3. She was willing to compromise for 2+2+2 or 2+2+3, if ALL of her other requirements were met.

She also has to have adaptive cruise control (which she now has on the Sienna and is available on MKT, but not Flex).

And the Flex would still be smaller in the storage area than the Sienna (however looks a little bigger than the MKT - maybe because of MKT's curves).

She needs/wants a minivan. The problem is I don't, and I want a Ford product. She was willing to get a Ford crossover as a compromise if only 1 or 2 of her requirements were missing (2+2+3, large rear storage, nice exterior, adaptive cruise, seats 6 or 7 comfortably), but Flex/MKT don't seem to fit the criteria for her.

If the Sienna worked, just get another one. I think they're fugly but I must admit they're reliable, well-built, and get the job done. Mercury should have a family hauler that isn't so damn polarizing as the MKT and Flex. IMO, one is a box, and the other is a nasty bling station wagon. I wish Mercury would have something in the dimensions of a Buick Enclave...offering nice cargo space, elegance, and good mileage.

Actually our Sienna has given us a good number of problems. I don't subscribe to the "foreign cars are perfect and trouble free" theory and call it like it is. (Not that you were suggesting that.) I'd bet the Honda Odessey is what we end up getting.

I'm just disappointed that this is exactly what Ford is looking for - a family with 2 imports, willing to look and buy a domestic brand. If you can get enough of this demographic, other people would notice, and maybe stop the tide of "domestic cars suck" mentality. Now we'll probably get a Honda or Toyota. Ugh.

Actually our Sienna has given us a good number of problems. I don't subscribe to the "foreign cars are perfect and trouble free" theory and call it like it is. (Not that you were suggesting that.) I'd bet the Honda Odessey is what we end up getting.

I'm just disappointed that this is exactly what Ford is looking for - a family with 2 imports, willing to look and buy a domestic brand. If you can get enough of this demographic, other people would notice, and maybe stop the tide of "domestic cars suck" mentality. Now we'll probably get a Honda or Toyota. Ugh.

Is your Sienna the first ('98 - '03) or second generation ('04 - '10) model?

Ford has an opportunity, IMHO, to capture the smaller end of this segment with further development of the TC. All it will take is $4 a gallon.

At $4/gallon, I want something that gets better than the abysmal 23/25 that the Transit connect currently gets !

With a 1.6L turbo diesel and a PowerShift 6 speed transmission, I would bet that both the city and higway number would be in the 30's if not 40's, even meeting US emission standards.

I'm just disappointed that this is exactly what Ford is looking for - a family with 2 imports, willing to look and buy a domestic brand.

But you have to factor that against the very high cost of developing a premium minivan. These things now ride on practically standalone chassis, with little shared outside of wiring and powerpacks, and while there is still a demand, it's a market segment that is shrinking dramatically both overall and as a percentage of the total market.

You are essentially asking Ford to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a mature and dwindling segment with very little of that money capable of being amortized over multiple vehicles.

Minivans are a tough nut to crack. It took Toyota about fifteen years to get the Sienna right (remember the Previa? Remember that horrible abomination that came before the Previa?), Honda scored a hit with their inhouse Odyssey, but not before trying to fob off a very lousy MPV on an unwilling public.

Mazda, Nissan, and GM never figured out the minivan market. Ford did for a few years ('98-00) before their headgasket issues doomed them, and that after a dozen years of failed attempts.

The "passengers" look like human torsos filled with blue liquid (windshield washer fluid?) !!

Is he in the car pool lane?

So you want a Mercury Flex/MKT....

BAM!

magellan-messenger5.jpg

magellan-messenger6.jpg

I want to know what problems does your Sienna has? I too, think Odyssey is designed pretty good in terms of spacial use, I like its mpg and noise cancellation!

I have a Freestyle. I love the MKT styling. I am turn off by MKT's 3rd row space and the cargo space behind it. I don't want to buy any vehicle which has less space than my Freestyle. One time I tested the Freestyle's cargo space, took a couple standard size luggage, try assemble them behind them behind 3rd row. I squeezed in 4 medium size rectangular luggage, 2 compact size rectangular luggage plus one or two soft bags stacked up over the window line. With the MKT, if I have 7 passengers, I can't even go fruit picking!

I am a minivan fan, just don't like its mommobile image.

Edited by LoveTaurus

I'm surprised that 3rd row seating is that high on your priority list. Very few customers are going to be driving around with 6 adults.

I'm disappointed with the storage of the Flex after the 3rd row. I was half thinking of replacing my 12 year old Econoline. I would like something that could carry 4 adults and twin grandchildren and still have reasonable storage. I don't think I can get a double stroller, diaper bags, toys and enough adult luggage for a weekend trip in the rear of a Flex.

Sigh. Nothing replaces an Econoline for interior volume.

Sounds like you could use either an Expedition EL or a Flex with a hitch rack. I've had a 2000 Econoline conversion (great van!) & a 98, 01 & 07 Expedition. I would have to say that while I was a big fan of the van, the Expeditions have been great too.

Hijacking the thread for a moment.

I know a Ford Engineer who lives in Ann Arbor and commutes to Dearborn. Many mornings he passes a 15 passenger Transit on I-94. The "passengers" look like human torsos filled with blue liquid (windshield washer fluid?) !!

Interesting...

First of all, kudos for wanting to buy domestic. That is so important for the future of our country, and its middle class. I don't care if someone's liberal or conservative, to me the ones who are the "good guys", from the standpoint of civic responsibility, are the ones who support American workers.

Second, I've got to put in a good word for the quality of Chrysler products - I drive a 300C and my wife drives a Pacifica (we both also share a Ford Focus), and both Chrysler products have been completely satisfying and trouble free. Now the Pacifica bears some of the attributes of the MKT - a premium ride but the back row is suitable only for small children, with little usable headroom. That's okay for us, because we've gotten beyond our carpooling years.

But why not consider the Town and Country? If a minivan is what you need, the T&C ought to hit the sweet spot, especially with the 4.0 engine, and has flexible interior options that none of the competition has. At least in a T&C, I can drive a minivan without the stigma of being seen in a vehicle that brands me as indifferent to my community.

Edited by Jazzhead