Ford Fusion moves into top ten list

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, how much profit did Ford get from old Taurus. I remember that when I went to buy my taurus 7 years ago, during bargaining the price, the sales representitave told me that Ford only earned several hundred bucks from each taurus. Now Ford can get 2K from each Fusion. That is really amazing. How did they do that.

Maybe it's just me, but why on earth would you believe anything the sales representative said? Especially if you're talking about something said to apply price pressure on you.

bet that rear IRS was the Blade suspension from aussie.....extremely effective and VERY little weight penalty....tellin ya, I think if we do get a RWD platform, I would be EXTREMELY surprized if the Aussie platform was not utilized in some manner....I know MY fingers are crossed....

Actually, the IRs was not Control Blade at all.

MKR was closer to a DEW platform than Mustang, double A-Arm front suspension and multi link IRS.

MKR was a cobbling together of unrelated parts into a car that has Falcon proportions.

An exercise in how to build a RWD Lincoln and avoid the obvious platform..........

:redcard:

So, by your reasoning, Lincoln should die too? As they're selling about the same number. Especially since Lincolns are much more costly to make since they're totally different from their Ford counterpart, instead of the Mercury "new front and rear clip" formula.

Sorry, 630, Mercury isn't going anywhere. And if it were the "waste" that you think it is, Mulally would have killed it already. See how the plan works, then criticize. I'd venture a guess that most Mariner / Milan buyers didn't even look at the Escape / Fusion.

:shades:

Back to Fusion. If Ford didn't offer the S, then the snotty auto bloggers would go on and on about it. Altima/Camry/Accord/Malibu/Sonata use the base model price to advertise, so Ford should match.

Oh, I'd say Mercury is getting killed, slowly. Why no new Sable? Mountineer? Marquis? There is also no concrete plans for a next gen Mariner. That, and Mulally repeatedly said he wants to combine L-M and Ford dealers. So it make no sense to waste money keeping it, just to please car hobbyists and trivia buffs.

Edited by 630land

Oh, I'd say Mercury is getting killed, slowly. Why no new Sable? Mountineer? Marquis?
Because these vehicles don't fit with the new, well publicized direction for the brand? :banghead:

There is also no concrete plans for a next gen Mariner.

Wescoent has stated many times over at GMI that there will be a Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln built off the next Kuga/Escape. He probably has some of the best sources among any online automotive community.

Did it really? Well, shows you how many of the hatches I saw after the '05 refresh....

Indeed. '05 hatches, sedans and wagons all received the refreshed interior and front-end with the rears staying the same on the hatches and wagon. Hatch and sedan production went all the way to the '08 MY changeover with the wagon killed early. Wagon production ended in Dec 2006.

Compared to other Fusions they are. The only options on the "S" according to Ford's Build and Price is floor mats and automatic transmission.

I would not call this stripped:

Fusion S ($19,270) comes standard with cloth upholstery, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, power locks, instrument cluster with message center, keyless entry and trunk release, AM/FM/CD/MP3 with four speakers, remote decklid release, capless fuel filler, trip computer, cruise control, speed-sensitive wipers.It comes with the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, six-speed manual transmission, 16-inch wheels, body-color bumpers and door handles, tinted glass, black power mirrors.A six-speed automatic is optional.

"Mercury isn't going anywhere....See how the plan works, then criticize. I'd venture a guess that most Mariner / Milan buyers didn't even look at the Escape / Fusion."

I'd venture to guess that there are hardly any Milan buyers, since the Fusion is beating it by a mile!!!! Anyone who still believes that Mercury is somehow 'better built' 'is worth the extra $' or 'is a status symbol' knows nothing about modern cars.

I'm seeing how the "plan" is working, Fusion sales way up, Mercury losing models one by one till gone. Then, no more wasting $$ for fantical hobbyists, purists, and car nostalgia nuts.

Edited by 630land

"Mercury isn't going anywhere....See how the plan works, then criticize. I'd venture a guess that most Mariner / Milan buyers didn't even look at the Escape / Fusion."

I'd venture to guess that there are hardly any Milan buyers, since the Fusion is beating it by a mile!!!! Anyone who still believes that Mercury is somehow 'better built' 'is worth the extra $' or 'is a status symbol' knows nothing about modern cars.

Model / Oct09 / Oct08 / Change

Mariner / 2,602 / 1,910 / 36.2

Milan / 1,547 / 1,801 / -14.1

Milan down this month, but Mariner way up. Those two models accounted for 4,000 sales in October, not sales I'd want to walk away from.

I'm seeing how the "plan" is working, Fusion sales way up, Mercury losing models one by one till gone. Then, no more wasting $$ for fantical hobbyists, purists, and car nostalgia nuts.

It's obvious you lack a fundamental understanding of what the plan is. Mountaineer and Marquis on the way out, Sable already gone, and at least one new C segment vehicle (though likely 2 or 3 more) on the way in, with Mariner and Milan continuing.

Oct 09

Lincoln 6,735

Mercury 6,676

Since Lincoln and Mercury both sold about the same amount of units, I'm guessing that Lincoln should die too?

I just liked the grill, tail lights and dash a bit better than the Fusion.

There is no account for personal taste.

Back to Fusion. If Ford didn't offer the S, then the snotty auto bloggers would go on and on about it. Altima/Camry/Accord/Malibu/Sonata use the base model price to advertise, so Ford should match.

Oh, I'd say Mercury is getting killed, slowly. Why no new Sable? Mountineer? Marquis? There is also no concrete plans for a next gen Mariner. That, and Mulally repeatedly said he wants to combine L-M and Ford dealers. So it make no sense to waste money keeping it, just to please car hobbyists and trivia buffs.

I think combining Ford and LM Dealers is a great idea. Mercury especially could pick up a few extra sales if this were the case. For example, I'm primarily a Ford buyer, but would maybe have bought a Sable if it was on Ford lot when I bought my Taurus. I liked the fact that the Sable at the time had fog lights and they were not offered on the Taurus at the time. If price had been relatively close, I probably would have bought a Sable. Making it easier to cross shop will help Mercury. I know Jack Demmer, North Brothers, and Varsity in Metro Detroit have both Ford and LM dealerships, but they are long distances away. Combine them I say. Big mega dealers with huge used car dept. would be great for buyers.