2011 Edge vs MKX

What will be the key items that will differentiate the upscale MKX vs the Edge?

It appears the Edge/MKX will have the same body and same dash and gages for 2011, They appear to be more similar than the Fusion/MKZ and the Taurus/MKS twins. :ohsnap:

The outsides hardly look the same, except the doors......much less than the previous models, imo.

As for the interior, more upscale materials in the Lincoln, look at the stitched dash in the Lincoln, the wood is higher quality, better sound system, I am sure nicer leather, more features, etc, etc, etc.....

This is similar to the Taurus/MKS situation. Ford is putting the money into the Ford models to move them upmarket, but they won't be making any drastic changes to Lincoln until the next redesign where I'm betting we'll see more unique sheetmetal and more Lincoln specific features.

Until then a fully optioned Edge will be almost identical to the MKX other than materials and a few other things already mentioned.

I think the differences are largely cosmetic and material quality.

Thicker glass, better sound insulation, quieter tires, nicer dash, ceiling & carpet materials.

The Lincoln also has features such as the THX sound system, cooled seats, adaptive HID headlamps, LED tail-lamps, and touch sensitive volume/fan speed controlers.

Other Lincoln exclusive details may include halogen interior lighting (that's the first thing I noticed when I got my MKX, I'm such a lighting geek!).

• Like 1

What will be the key items that will differentiate the upscale MKX vs the Edge?

It appears the Edge/MKX will have the same body and same dash and gages for 2011, They appear to be more similar than the Fusion/MKZ and the Taurus/MKS twins. :ohsnap:

The dash looks different to me... similar but different.

What's different?

How about the fact that Edge is available with 2.0 turbo and 3.5 V6 while MKX is only available with top dog 3.7 V6? Edge Sport (3.7) should be pretty similar to MKX in terms of equipment and price but one will be have sporty appearance while the other is more conservatively styled and presumably will have a softer ride (20 inch vs 22 inch wheels). But the reality is that most of the Edge sold will be the SEL models with either 2.0 Ecoboost or 3.5 V6, which is going to be about $10k cheaper than the MKX... frankly I don't see much overlap even in a combined Ford-Lincoln-Mercury showroom.

...Lincoln, the wood is higher quality...

Lincoln, the wood is REAL < fixed (iirc)

imho

the styling/ambience is crucial

since Fords are going upscale awfully fast, it's not that they CAN'T be optioned to Lincoln levels

but that those who'd buy that highly-featured of a vehicle will choose Lincoln instead

The dash looks different to me... similar but different.

What's different?

How about the fact that Edge is available with 2.0 turbo and 3.5 V6 while MKX is only available with top dog 3.7 V6? Edge Sport (3.7) should be pretty similar to MKX in terms of equipment and price but one will be have sporty appearance while the other is more conservatively styled and presumably will have a softer ride (20 inch vs 22 inch wheels). But the reality is that most of the Edge sold will be the SEL models with either 2.0 Ecoboost or 3.5 V6, which is going to be about $10k cheaper than the MKX... frankly I don't see much overlap even in a combined Ford-Lincoln-Mercury showroom.

It would be pretty sweet if they gave you the option to put the EcoBoost 3.5 in the MKX. That would help differentiate the MKX and Edge Sport

Lincoln, the wood is REAL < fixed (iirc)

imho

the styling/ambience is crucial

since Fords are going upscale awfully fast, it's not that they CAN'T be optioned to Lincoln levels

but that those who'd buy that highly-featured of a vehicle will choose Lincoln instead

I agree completely.

I completely have my heart set on a SHO. However, I do know that the new MKS should be out before I can buy. There are many features of the MKS that I prefer, such as the Bridge of Weir leather, the cooled seats, the THX audio, and all of the improved features and materials.

According to those in the know, the MKS MCE is supposed to be spectacular.

Thus, I know that I will be torn, when the time comes.

I agree completely.

I completely have my heart set on a SHO. However, I do know that the new MKS should be out before I can buy. There are many features of the MKS that I prefer, such as the Bridge of Weir leather, the cooled seats, the THX audio, and all of the improved features and materials.

You've talked to people working on the MKS MCE? The MKS isn't due for an update until MY 2012 or 2013. With Ford's rapid deployment of new tech, they are leaving their own premium products in the dust. Ford did say it would take until 2015 before 90percent of their vehicles had the my MyFord/MyLincoln/MyMercury system.

You can get some amazing lease deals on the MKS right now, I really wish I was in the market at the moment :)

I can only hope that when my lease is up on the '07 MKX in October, the 2011 MKX (or Edge) will be well stocked. Otherwise, I will probably be picking a 2010 version on clearance ;).

I agree completely.

The SHO has cooled seats (at least available, not sure if they're standard), but doesn't have the other stuff you mentioned, of course.

Will the Edge have memory power-adjustable pedals linked to mirrors/seat position?

I would think it will.

4269406821_2cb7886b3e.jpg

2011_ford_edge_limited_15_cd_gallery.jpg

You're showing just the gauge cluster which is industry exclusive no matter what vehicle it's on - plus they changed the colors between the two systems, so they're not identical anyway.

Here's the two dashes:

2011_ford_edge_interior_3_cd_gallery.jpg

4250624925_2fe21abed0.jpg

They really are very different. I like the overhang over the top of the vents in the edge center dash. Though it looks like the Lincoln if that is a soft leather surface has a lot more leather on the dash.

The edge center dash looks more land roverish

Edited by Fordowner