Ford Sales Up 43%

Tad worried that MKS's numbers reflect the Taurus eating into it's share.

Could be. I also still gotta wonder what the thought process was that led to Ford deciding to rate the SHO higher than the MKS EcoBoost. Wonder what the breakdown is on turbo vs non-turbo sales for each model.

Want the bad news?

TOYOTA was the #1 best-selling brand in March.

1. Toyota - 166,644

2. Ford - 159,367

3. Chevrolet - 133,165

GM (or Toyota, depending how you look at it) was the #1 best-selling company in March.

(With legacy brands)

1. GM - 188,546

2. Toyota - 186,863

3. Ford - 183,783

(Without legacy brands)

1. Toyota - 186,863

2. GM - 185,406

3. Ford - 178,546

Still room for improvement at Ford.

Edited by NickF1011

Want the bad news?

1. Toyota - 166,644

2. Ford - 159,367

3. Chevrolet - 133,165

GM (or Toyota, depending how you look at it) was the #1 best-selling company in March.

(With legacy brands)

1. GM - 188,546

2. Toyota - 186,863

3. Ford - 183,783

(Without legacy brands)

1. Toyota - 186,863

2. GM - 185,406

3. Ford - 178,546

Ford is doing just fine. All this proves is that America has still not given up their love affair with Toyota. No matter what Toy does... Toy can't lose with the American consumer. Toyota knows this and they will use it for all it's worth.

It seems like some still want to make Ford look bad. Take this article on CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/01/news/companies/autosales/index.htm?hpt=T2

"Ford was mostly fleet sales". Anyone have any numbers on that? With all the vehicle numbers up, I just don't see fleet being as big as they claim.

Then you have Edmunds saying they were expecting up 55%. But it was only a 43% increase. So Ford didn't "perform as well as expected". And yet, they did better than any other of the Big 3 sellers in NA.

I don't get why "fleet sales" get such a bad rap. Vehicles sold to fleets at a profit are good. Vehicles "dumped" into rental car fleets at huge losses to artificially boost sales numbers are bad. Ford (nor do I think anybody else is except maybe Toyota & Hyundai) is dumping cars at a loss to boost sales. Almost every E-Series & Transit Connect sold is a "fleet sale", many F series are "fleet sales" & many companies buy Fusions & Tauruses for their salespeople fleets. The are all good, profitable sales. Who cares if they are "fleet".

Funny how they only harp on Fords fleet sales. I imagine GM and Toyota had hefty increases in fleet numbers as well.

Hell, I couldn't even rent a ford on a recent trip to az. All GM, hyundai, Nissan and Toyota.

And I don't think fleet is all bad, just maybe rental company sales.

If you want to extrapolate all that out to come to a 42.7% overall increase, please do. But basically, it means the "mostly fleet sales" is an out-and-out falsehood.

Want the bad news?

1. Toyota - 166,644

2. Ford - 159,367

3. Chevrolet - 133,165

(With legacy brands)

1. GM - 188,546

2. Toyota - 186,863

3. Ford - 183,783

(Without legacy brands)

1. Toyota - 186,863

2. GM - 185,406

3. Ford - 178,546

I would rather Ford be #3 and solidly profitable that be #1 or #2 and losing money.

I doubt Flat Rock is going to get much of anything from Ford. Even Mustang's future there seems to be anything but certain.

Maybe if they had not voted NO to new work commitment in last year's,(October) contract modification their future might look better.

True. But it was just too much fun seeing Ford being profitable and #1 last month. :)

Yeah, that's because we know Ford has done the foundation work right.

I'm impressed with Taurus sales, 7,000 catches the eye and I often wonder

whether a new Sable would be justified as a replacement for the Grand Marquis.

Maybe that's next years plan.

Yeah, that's because we know Ford has done the foundation work right.

I'm impressed with Taurus sales, 7,000 catches the eye and I often wonder

whether a new Sable would be justified as a replacement for the Grand Marquis.

Maybe that's next years plan.

I doubt there are any fullsize plans left for Mercury. That does, however, leave increased funding for the next MKS to take it up another notch instead.

• Like 1

Ford is doing just fine. All this proves is that America has still not given up their love affair with Toyota. No matter what Toy does... Toy can't lose with the American consumer. Toyota knows this and they will use it for all it's worth.

Many Toyota customer are old people who can only drive no more than 45 mph. So runawy is not a issue for them. In their minds, the runaway means 65mph. Still controllable.

Toyota wanted to be GM, and now they really are with 0% for 72 months to move cars. They can't brag about resale anymore or 'we can sell cars over sticker since they are so much better', not anymore.

Not all fleet sales are bad. Trucks, vans, company cars are kept til they die, or at least alot longer than rental companies.

But, the best thing is all the naysayers from 2-3 years ago were WRONG!!!

Remember these: "Fusion will never sell over 10K a month", "2008 Focus will bomb", "Ford should make only Panthers, it would save them", "Mustang looks too old, it will stop selling soon", "Escape's greenhouse looks old, it will bomb", "New Taurus will bomb since it is too pricey, people expect them to be cheap" .

New Taurus sheds the rental car image, Mustang is not rotting, new Focus, Fiesta, Escape coming soon to keep sales going, and Panthers are lame ducks.

Edited by 630land

Plus it helps when you're sitting on a 30 billion dollar war chest. The question I have is how long Toyota will be willing to spend the big $$$$ on incentives. They have the bucks to play the incentive game, Ford and GM don't.

• Like 1

Want the bad news?

1. Toyota - 166,644

2. Ford - 159,367

3. Chevrolet - 133,165

(With legacy brands)

1. GM - 188,546

2. Toyota - 186,863

3. Ford - 183,783

(Without legacy brands)

1. Toyota - 186,863

2. GM - 185,406

3. Ford - 178,546

Toyota cheats their numbers by including Scion.

I doubt there are any fullsize plans left for Mercury. That does, however, leave increased funding for the next MKS to take it up another notch instead.

An opening for Luxury Falcon to replace Grand Marquis?

I see the sales are still pretty good..

2,000-3,000/month would be right up FoA's alley

Edited by jpd80

Excellent results across the board! Great job everyone at Ford!

Wow, Ford did great everywhere! Even sales of their discontinued model Taurus X increased by 1000% from February!!!happy%20feet.gif

Well, uh, OK, it was an increase from 1 to 11, but don't you love how statistics can lie..

Sure is. With a max. capacity of 305k, if sales keep increasing, Ford will have to add another plant to build it. Flat Rock is sure to be it.

My sentiments and hope exactly. MKZ, Milan, and Fusion sold at a rate of 350,000 units/year in March; and that does not include the fact that March is not one of the stronger selling months of the year, and does not include Mexican and Canadian sales.

Sure is. With a max. capacity of 305k, if sales keep increasing, Ford will have to add another plant to build it. Flat Rock is sure to be it.

That would be nice indeed if AAI Flat Rock can be utilized for additional CD3 vehicle production. The excellent Mazda6 produced there currently only sold 3,587 units for the U.S. in March 2010. :shrug: