CR gives Lexus model a "Don't Buy: Safety Risk" Label

92merc

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/13/autos/consumer_reports_lexus_gx460/index.htm?hpt=T2

GX 460 SUV is unsafe, even with electronic stability controls.

Surprised CR had the balls to put that label on a Toyota. They haven't used this severe label since the Mistubishi Montero.

You beat me to it.

Consumer Reports has given the Lexus GX460 a rare ''Don't Buy'' warning, saying a problem that occurred during routine handling tests could lead the SUV to roll over in real-world driving.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/04/13/business/AP-US-Toyota-Consumer-Reports.html

Is it a vehicle design issue or simply a matter of "readjusting" the software for the systems that keep the vehicle upright in such situations?

Vehicle design flaw all the way. The SUV was designed with too much front end bite. The rear end slides out indicating the vehicle was designed with too much oversteer. In NASCAR this is known as a loose condition. Loose is fast in a race car. The problem is most automotive consumers (especially anyone stupid enough to buy a Toyota) lack basic driving skills and certainly do not have the ability to truely drive a vehicle. That is why manufacturers are forced to add electronics to said vehicles to help do the driving for you.

Edited by 8A4RE

What really struck me as odd is that the stability control system took too long to react and correct the oversteer. Toyota vehicles have been criticized for overactive stability control systems in the recent past so is this their idea of making their vehicles more "fun to drive" as their CEO eluded to a month or so ago?

So they softened the threshold of stability control kicking in because they wanted the driver to have more fun driving their vehicle? Well...

A) Someone buying a Lexus is probably NOT being it for fun, or drive in a fun way

B) You have fun in a coupe, convertible, something with sporting abilities, not a big box.

Geesh....

So they softened the threshold of stability control kicking in because they wanted the driver to have more fun driving their vehicle? Well...

A) Someone buying a Lexus is probably NOT being it for fun, or drive in a fun way

B) You have fun in a coupe, convertible, something with sporting abilities, not a big box.

Geesh....

Oh come on, who doesn't take the family SUV out to the local dirt oval once in a while? :happy feet: JK

Edited by 8A4RE

reposting wherever I can

more TM defecticles™ (defective vehicles)

...also sounds to me like TM doesn't know what the Heck they're doing

&

you know what's most disturbing for me after thinking about this?

TM only "took steps" after an utter 'rag' like CR dissed the defecticle™

THEY DIDN'T
KNOW
BEFORE???

ie
TM still doesn't give a damn about it customers!

Toyota is halting sales until a fix for the problem is found. This fix has got to be a change in the software and electronic stability control. I can't see them "redesigning" a new vehicle.

Understeer and oversteer characteristics are also influenced by damping rates in the suspension. So it could involve re-valving the shocks or changing the spring rates as well. Or possibly changing diameter of stabilizer bars. I would say it's very likely the suspension is the culprit, as it is probably tuned entirely different than the Toyota 4Runner that it shares its body and stability control with.