Ford’s ambitions riding on Lincoln

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the long run, Ford definitely should look at Lincoln as a global play. Not true luxury car name can pass the authenticity test with only a regional branding; that is just the price of admission. However, I think the key here is that Ford needs to do it right... It needs to be a fully invested project (that means it must be able to sustain massive losses for at least 5 years during the initial introduction) with the right products (RWD seems to be a given... there can only be one Audi and Audi is already there). Ford missed a great opportunity in China to do Lincoln properly due to its reliance on Volvo and Land Rover brands and it must now play catchup... not just in China but all the BRIC countries.

key sentence:

"Lincoln isn't even outselling the Mercury brand, which Ford is starving of new models and marketing."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37064569/ns/business-bloomberg_businessweek/

Can't wait for the realization that

"We are moving Lincoln to be our largest volume contributor in the Lincoln Mercury business. But we have no aspirations to take Lincoln to the world stage to achieve growth. Lincoln is about American luxury. And there are more than enough customers in this country who are living the American dream and who would prefer to drive America’s luxury car. And that is where we are headed."

from Mark Field's first Way Forward speech

is WRONG & always was WRONG!

talk about the mother of all Push vs Pull marketing mistakes :rant:

Edited by 2b2

Saying that other mfrs. compete globally in order to derive 'prestige' is one of the most damnably stupid things I've read in, well, a couple days at least.

I'd like to see you take prestige to a bank, or pay a supplier's bill with it.

There is one reason for competing globally. MONEY.

If the numbers don't work, you won't get any benefit from it at all.

---

Quoting Lincoln's numbers as a percentage of the overall market is also ridiculous. The luxury market shakes out as follows: Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln/Infiniti/Audi. At least, IIRC.

It's not a question of Lincoln having .8% of the overall market; it's a question of them having 10% or so of the luxury market. (spitballed that last number).

It's also a question of profitability and sustainability.

---

In short, I'm sick of business writers that have no interest in business. That article would disgrace an issue of Motor Trend (okay, maybe it's not that bad, but.............)

And interviewing a RURAL KENTUCKY DEALERSHIP ABOUT THE MKT????????????????????????????

Why not interview a Fairbanks, Alaska dealership about the Mustang convertible while you're at it.

I saw a white MKT today on the interstate, an Ecoboost Model. While I am still not enamoured with the rear, the overall vehicle is quite stunning, especially the front when it is coming up on you from behind.

A few moments later, a Nissan Rouge passed me, and the rear end on that thing was worse than the MKT. Remember, style is mostly a matter of taste.

For instance, I like the overall design of the MKT more so than the Audi Q7, but some people would call me crazy. IMO, they both have strange proportions is some design areas, but I just like the MKT a little better.

I've actually lost my taste for Lincoln in the last year or so, but it's probalby just my changing attitudes. The newest Lincolns are far too traditional, resembling Buicks more than the trendy urban chic designs I started to love in 2007-2008. Lincoln's failure to really produce substantive products is starting to drive me away.

I don't like Caddy either, although they are certainly producing better machines than Lincoln. And forget Lexus! Acura, Infiiti...meh.

I'm affraid I'm probably moving toward the import sector of the market, particulalry Audi which has always appealed to me. Otherwise, I'm moving back to Ford brand largely because I like the new Edge so much :).

Issue is, no one is paying attention to Lincoln as a brand because it hasnt really had a revolutionary product, something people would aspire to. As stated, everything is mostly a re-run of Fords. For Ford, they have been attention getting vehicles, but much less when Lincoln uses them. The EdgeFlexTaurus/MKX-T-S. Maybe these vehicles are the first steps before Ford decides to do something major with Lincoln, but as it stands, nothing is really orgasmic at this point.

Issue is, no one is paying attention to Lincoln as a brand because it hasnt really had a revolutionary product, something people would aspire to. As stated, everything is mostly a re-run of Fords. For Ford, they have been attention getting vehicles, but much less when Lincoln uses them. The EdgeFlexTaurus/MKX-T-S. Maybe these vehicles are the first steps before Ford decides to do something major with Lincoln, but as it stands, nothing is really orgasmic at this point.

Ford has clearly stated that they are putting all resources into Ford first, then Lincoln, then Mercury. Since Lincoln had no distinctive viable platforms for Mulally's team to work with, they're just treading water until they get caught up with Ford (which should be next year after the new Explorer, Fiesta and Focus are done) and can focus their attentions on Lincoln. And hopefully they'll have more money to put into it also.

Lincoln needs a "Wow" car to draw attention to the brand. Luxury buyers buy the badge, it probably means more than the actual merits of the car. Look at Lexus, their best selling products are the ES and RX, neither one is really that great of a car. The ES is no better than an MKZ and the RX is no better than the upcoming MKX. However, Lexus has great snob appeal because their top-level cars are so good. If Lincoln came out with the MKR and really wowed people with it, it will do a lot for the sales of their lesser cars.

The only reason selling globally really makes a difference is volume. If you sell more of a product, you can usually spend more to develop that product. With Lincoln being in limited markets, they are limiting the overall sales and as a result also the money they have to develop those models.

I think the easiest market for Lincoln to crack would be China. The volume is definitely there and it has shown to be promising for other marques who are trying to establish larger global footprints.

But what would they sell in China? Or in other world markets?

Before Lincoln goes global, it must prove itself at home. Right now, all Lincoln really is is a companion line to Ford, an alternative Ford with some added style and some legacy snob appeal. And given what Ford is coming out of, that is all there is for now. Technology is advancing so fast, and is so important in getting interest today, I do not see it as a differentiator for an upscale brand. Whatever technology Lincoln gets migrates to the Ford line in about a half a model year.

What it will take to make Lincoln distinct again is style and positioning as an aspirational brand. They did it before. I hate to keep bringing back the 50s and 60s, but the "road race Lincolns" and the redone Continental of the early 60s can provide a roadmap that can be used. In 1952 Lincoln went OHV. The Lincoln Y Block was not earth shattering tech, but it was solid and full of potential, as were the cars. (by the way, the Lincon Y was also used as a heavy truck engine up until 63 or 64, and was darn near bulletproof) The right marketing positioned the cars as aspirational. Same with the 61 Continental. Nothing really different in powertrains or equipment, but styling that was so striking that it became the aspirational car of its era.

Lincoln cannot become aspirational with a large, diverse lineup - that is for Mercury. Lincoln must have a lineup with a very tight focus, harmonized (not identical) styling on the exterior, and interior styling that is different from the crowd, with common elements in all Lincoln models. I see a 3 car lineup - 2+2 coupe, mid size to large sedan/4 door hardtop, and a large luxury car. No people movers. No crossovers or SUVs. No entry level "specials". Just Lincolns. Sure, not everyone will be able to afford one, but hey, Lincoln = aspirations.

This is why Mercury is so important also. Mercury should be entry level luxury. Lincoln is the halo, what they come in to see and dream of, but 75% to 80% drive out in a new Mercury. And the quality, durability, and dealership experience must be at levels appropriate to that aspirational level. Back in the mid 60s a Lincoln Continental stickered at about twice what a mid level full size Ford did, and easily was a 50% to 60% premium over the Ford LTD, and I do not see similar price differentiation being a problem if Lincoln is again properly positioned.

But what would they sell in China? Or in other world markets?

Lincoln already sells the Navigator there in very limited quantities. I imagine the MKZ would be an easy conversion also, at least once Ford's global midsizes all move to a shared platform which would allow for regional production. MKX would also be riding on that same platform.

This is why Mercury is so important also. Mercury should be entry level luxury.

There is no reason to have another level between top of the line Fords and Lincolns. Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Mercedes - they all have entry level models.

I'm all in favor of keeping Mercury but only if it has unique products - not to serve as a middle ground between Ford and Lincoln. It's not worth it.

Lincoln is never going to be truly competive in the luxury market if they are only aiming for Buick and Acura like they are.

IMO, Lincoln needs to go to a "back to basics" approach. Offer AMERICAN luxury. Bold looking, large, rear-wheel drive, with stellar handling. Kid of a "Luxury with attitude" brand. I would even re-establish a dedicated Lincoln plant to differentiate the brand even more from Ford and Mercury.

Lincoln is never going to be truly competive in the luxury market if they are only aiming for Buick and Acura like they are.

IMO, Lincoln needs to go to a "back to basics" approach. Offer AMERICAN luxury. Bold looking, large, rear-wheel drive, with stellar handling. Kid of a "Luxury with attitude" brand. I would even re-establish a dedicated Lincoln plant to differentiate the brand even more from Ford and Mercury.

When was "stellar handling" ever a unique trait to American luxury vehicles? If anything, it was historically much the opposite.

And well, frankly, "large" isn't as chic as it used to be.

Dedicated Lincoln plant? Yeah, that wouldn't be a complete waste of money and resources or anything.

You're entitled to your opinion, but please explain how the MKT and the MKS are aimed at Buick and Acura?

Neither of the brands makes anything like the MKT, and the MKS is bigger and more powerful than anything Acura makes. :)

You're entitled to your opinion, but please explain how the MKT and the MKS are aimed at Buick and Acura?

Neither of the brands makes anything like the MKT, and the MKS is bigger and more powerful than anything Acura makes. :)

Well the way I look a Lincoln, they are more of a premium make like Acura and Infiniti than a true luxury Tier 1 make like BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus.

However, I don't think having a global presence is a pre-requisite though to competing in the luxury segment. Look at Lexus. Only recently has Toyota even brought the Lexus nameplate to Japan and Lexus still hasn't made much inroads into Europe. It certainly can help but alot of it is still within the product. I think perception plays such a huge role and unfortunately for Ford, the historic badge engineering of the Big 3 is seen so negatively yet the Asian makes can get away with it. The MKZ is the perfect example. The press pretty much consider the MKZ a tarted up Fusion yet the Lexus ES and Acura TL aren't seen as spruced up Camry's and Accord's. The MKX also looks way too similar to an Edge in shape. People don't look at the Acura MDX and Pilot or Lexus RX and Highlander in the same way and rightfully so. Toyota and Honda have done a better job distinguishing their product and brand.

Lack of RWD and V8's doesn't help. Granted Lincoln had a solid product in the LS, but IMO the styling was so bland. That's what holds Acura back, well, that and hideous styling. AWD doesn't matter. AWD is great as an option, but in many parts of the country, AWD isn't that necessary and ends up killing performance and impacting fuel efficiency.

I don't know, but I think the Enclave is right in the same ballpark as the MKT, and the new LaCrosse has many of the features that the MKS has. I also think the MKS is comparable to the Acura T.

I guess my point was that Lincoln should be aspiring higher- to the likes of BMW, Lexus, and even Cadillac. Right now, I do not see the Lincoln product quite in the same league as the three.