2011 Mustang transmission from China?

I don't post often but I regularly view the forums on here but after a trip to the local Ford dealer to check out some of the new vehicles I noticed that the transmission on the 2011 Mustang 5.0 that I looked at was made in China. I can not tell you how disappointing it was to see an American icon like the Mustang with a "made in China" sticker on it. Are you telling me that Ford could not source this transmission out of the US for a reasonably comparable price? Does anyone know anything about the decision behind this or any details on this matter? The Chinese are not our friends and it is frustrating how often the American consumer and American corporations prop up this communist country.

I don't post often but I regularly view the forums on here but after a trip to the local Ford dealer to check out some of the new vehicles I noticed that the transmission on the 2011 Mustang 5.0 that I looked at was made in China. I can not tell you how disappointing it was to see an American icon like the Mustang with a "made in China" sticker on it. Are you telling me that Ford could not source this transmission out of the US for a reasonably comparable price? Does anyone know anything about the decision behind this or any details on this matter? The Chinese are not our friends and it is frustrating how often the American consumer and American corporations prop up this communist country.

Just don't eat the damn thing and you'll be fine...it probably has some high quantity of lead or something else not designed for human consumption.

While it would be nice if everything were made in the USA, it's just not practical in this global economy.

PS...I thought the Mustang tranny IS made in the USA...but I could be wrong.

Edited by fordmantpw

Oh no! Commies under the bed! I'm scared!

You always know a poster's priorities by what they post about China: Lack of worker's rights, political oppression, environmental blight?

Nope. "communism"... which frankly they haven't been for 20 years.

At this point, they're basically just a 1-party totalitarian regime.

You always know a poster's priorities by what they post about China: Lack of worker's rights, political oppression, environmental blight?

Actually, I work in the line of work that tries to keep the pesky Chinese in line. They steal every bit of industrial and military technology that they can and use it against you. You can choose to be ignorant of fact if you like but its true.

However, I was looking at it from the perspective of the surplus of American workers that we have around here that probably could use something to do right about now. Apparently that is ok with you too. Yeah, global economy, I see we have some fans of it here on this site.

• Like 1

Actually, I work in the line of work that tries to keep the pesky Chinese in line. They steal every bit of industrial and military technology that they can and use it against you. You can choose to be ignorant of fact if you like but its true.

However, I was looking at it from the perspective of the surplus of American workers that we have around here that probably could use something to do right about now. Apparently that is ok with you too. Yeah, global economy, I see we have some fans of it here on this site.

Scary to think someone so illiterate could be involved in counter-intelligence.

I am clearly not a big fan of China - I gave you 3 reasons in that very post!

However, their supposed "communism", which hasn't existed for decades, isn't one of them. You might as well hate the moon for being made of green cheese.

And all the while Wal-Mart flourishes because American consumers buy their imported products,

it just goes to show that Americans like US products provided they remain cheap enough to compete.

Scary to think someone so illiterate could be involved in counter-intelligence.

I am clearly not a big fan of China - I gave you 3 reasons in that very post!

However, their supposed "communism", which hasn't existed for decades, isn't one of them. You might as well hate the moon for being made of green cheese.

The Chinese Communist Party which is clearly in power might disagree with your opinion.

For extra points can anyone name another 1-party totalitarian regime Ford Motor Company thought it was good business to be involved with circa 1936?

And all the while Wal-Mart flourishes because American consumers buy their imported products,

it just goes to show that Americans like US products provided they remain cheap enough to compete.

Exactly! Amazing you can catch that from 1000's of miles away. People bitch about "made in China", but what do they buy and why? Imports, because they like cheap prices. Folks can't put their money where there mouth is.

With so many of them out of work these days, it's chicken and egg. They can't afford to buy more expensive domestic goods, yet, by buying the cheap foreign goods, they are continuing to drive more jobs out of this country. We're well past the tipping point if continue our current way of life. Now, if we're ALL willing to sit down and make some basic changes and give up some of the consumerism that we all so dearly love, we can fix this thing. But, since most of us aren't willing to do that, and make the neccessary sacrifices, it's just not gonna happen.

• Like 1

With so many of them out of work these days, it's chicken and egg. They can't afford to buy more expensive domestic goods, yet, by buying the cheap foreign goods, they are continuing to drive more jobs out of this country. We're well past the tipping point if continue our current way of life. Now, if we're ALL willing to sit down and make some basic changes and give up some of the consumerism that we all so dearly love, we can fix this thing. But, since most of us aren't willing to do that, and make the neccessary sacrifices, it's just not gonna happen.

People have always bought cheap stuff from Wal-Mart even when they had jobs. Sadly, for most people it's all about their bottom line on a day to day basis and they're not willing to spend more in the short term to realize any long term benefit.

• Like 1

We do not currently have policies in place that will allow for manufacturing in the U.S. that would provide enough of a profit to keep them onshore. While we have those policies in place, and hardships with employers providing health care to employees, and labor unions dictating policies, then you will not find the stars aligning to allow for cheaper U.S. manufacturing.

People have always bought cheap stuff from Wal-Mart even when they had jobs. Sadly, for most people it's all about their bottom line on a day to day basis and they're not willing to spend more in the short term to realize any long term benefit.

Why only blame Wal Mart? Go into Macy's or Home Depot and look at where the majority of the stuff there is made. When I bought my appliances, I had to search pretty hard in the store to find units made in America. It's everything these days, not just cheap stuff.

The problem is not underutilized Americans. The Chinese work for $200/month at the high-end. With 0 benefits - just the taxes imposed by the Chinese and local gov't. It might balance out at $250-260/month (1820-1900 RMB). For comparison, a UAW worker even at $14/hour make $112/day + benefits and taxes which takes it up to about $150-170/day. Even when you factor in shipping costs, China is freaking cheap. And even when you factor in productivity (American manufacturing workers are more productive), you're only changing their relative cost to about $700-800/month.

Even when the Yuan starts to float upward, let's say it hits 6/dollar from 6.8 (a MASSIVE appreciation), they are still only $315/month or maybe $1000/month after productivity adjustments.

So, what does that mean? When you factor in shipping and the time that your money is in product and not earning interest, that means that the UAW would have to accept $14/hour across the board and become about 2x more efficient if the Yuan hits 6/dollar. The vast majority of Americans do not care where something is made (engineered, maybe) - just the bottom line $. Which favors China in simple tasks like manufacturing (but actually hurts the BRIC countries when we talk about higher-value things like programming of new/innovative features).

D***ing, isn't it?

I don't like that companies move so much work out the US, but the reality is basic assembly manufacturing is no longer a middle-class job. There are trades within manufacturing that are. High-tech manufacturing that requires specific skill set and a bachelors and sometimes a master's degree are. And those who work on the machines, design the processes and increase productivity will always be middle-class+ as long as the manufacturing remains. But for the line worker, those golden days are setting. This is not a slight to the UAW, an assembly line worker or anyone else who works hard to provide for themselves and others... we need that group of labor. But more wages comes through higher education/building skill sets that = higher productivity.

That surplus of Americans we have sitting around either a) are not productive/educated enough to find employment or b ) are not willing to accept the wage that their skill set now commands. That group creates a massive supply for a limited number of low-skill jobs that artificially pushes down the pay of that cohort (basic supply and demand). Interestingly, the pool of high-skilled workers is much smaller relative to demand, which is one reason why there is a growing disparity in incomes. The housing boom masked this for a while because we could bring in lower skilled workers, quickly train them in an area and pay a decent wage... but we've lost all of that now.

It's a harsh reality, but there's my Economics lecture for the day. :)

Edited by focus05

Should the poor and less affluent be forced to live with less in order to support people that have contract or inflated wages? In fact, Organized Labor wage increases are based on the aspiration that the standard of living would be increased for its members.

Whenever a product enters the market that has a lower price, more people would consider the purchase and more people can afford it.

At any point on the USA pay scale, we can set a point for different people that signifies "overpaid or underpaid, increased wages or decreased wages, aspired wages or minimum wages.

The truth is: every time a product's price is reduced, more people can afford it, and more people would consider purchasing it.

The balance for decent USA wages has to come from innovation, production efficiencies, product content and consumer satisfaction.

Anytime that something is protected, it means that that item can not compete in the environment.

A fair pay should be based on a persons job skill and responsibility. I would hope that more companies and unions would consider the military pay and promotion system. It works and it's fair.

Why only blame Wal Mart? Go into Macy's or Home Depot and look at where the majority of the stuff there is made. When I bought my appliances, I had to search pretty hard in the store to find units made in America. It's everything these days, not just cheap stuff.

I was referring to the people who want the absolute cheapest product available. That doesn't apply to Macy's or Home Depot shoppers in most cases.

Should the poor and less affluent be forced to live with less in order to support people that have contract or inflated wages? In fact, Organized Labor wage increases are based on the aspiration that the standard of living would be increased for its members.

Whenever a product enters the market that has a lower price, more people would consider the purchase and more people can afford it.

At any point on the USA pay scale, we can set a point for different people that signifies "overpaid or underpaid, increased wages or decreased wages, aspired wages or minimum wages.

The truth is: every time a product's price is reduced, more people can afford it, and more people would consider purchasing it.

The balance for decent USA wages has to come from innovation, production efficiencies, product content and consumer satisfaction.

Anytime that something is protected, it means that that item can not compete in the environment.

A fair pay should be based on a persons job skill and responsibility. I would hope that more companies and unions would consider the military pay and promotion system. It works and it's fair.

You missed my point entirely. I don't support protectionism or inflated wages. I do support equality in trade and making sure that american companies can compete with imports based on market driven labor rates (not inflated union contracts).

The point is that if you have a chinese product that cost $18 and an American made product that cost $19, there are a lot of people who will buy the $18 product with no regard to where it's made or what impact that purchase has as part of the bigger picture just to save $1.

The same goes for people who buy everything online rather than purchasing at local brick and mortar stores. Then they wonder why all their friends and family are out of work.