Lincoln's New Tagline: Smarter than Luxury

Intrepidatious: Wow...are you clever. What about Audi then? What about Lexus, or Acura? All of these marques use corporate platforms. They do. And I don't think anyone could argue with the success of Audi or Lexus. People just need to give Lincoln a chance. While the sharing of sheetmetal of the MKZ with Fusion and MKX with Edge is regretable...we all know that it won't happen again...those decisions were made at darker times at Ford when they were just beginning to right the ship. The MKS and MKT are unique vehicles, and only car buffs know or care about their Ford donors. Anyway.

I like these tag-lines. And I think their new spokesmen is PERFECT. His look says "effortless-timeless-cool" to me...EXACTLY the type of image that Lincoln should project. Kudos to Lincoln and the marketing team.

The new line is pretty "meh" from me, too... but I think with the right ad campaign it could work... pointing out how much "smarter" the new MKX (via MyLincoln Touch and whatnot) and new MKZ Hybrid are over the competition. I'm not as impressed as I was with the "Starships Don't Need Keys" image, but as much as I liked that one, it obviously didn't do too much to increase sales.

I agree with DS 100% that the new spokesman was a perfect choice. How long has it been since Lincoln even had a spokesman?

"Ford, which is discontinuing its Mercury brand this year, has said it plans to devote more marketing and product development resources to Lincoln, its only remaining luxury brand."

And this is what they give us, devoted marketing that SUCKS?! I want my money back...

Horrible...just horrible. So what IS "Smarter than Luxury"? Saving money and buying the middle of the road version of the same car?

Is this the same company that came out with "Reach Higher?" Because they smell the same...

"Ford, which is discontinuing its Mercury brand this year, has said it plans to devote more marketing and product development resources to Lincoln, its only remaining luxury brand."

And this is what they give us, devoted marketing that SUCKS?! I want my money back...

Horrible...just horrible. So what IS "Smarter than Luxury"? Saving money and buying the middle of the road version of the same car?

Is this the same company that came out with "Reach Higher?" Because they smell the same...

To be fair, there's a heck of a lot more to marketing than a tagline. Can we remember again for a second here that Ford's marketing guru is the same guy who previously ran Lexus?

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Intrepidatious: Wow...are you clever. What about Audi then? What about Lexus, or Acura? All of these marques use corporate platforms. They do. And I don't think anyone could argue with the success of Audi or Lexus. People just need to give Lincoln a chance. While the sharing of sheetmetal of the MKZ with Fusion and MKX with Edge is regretable...we all know that it won't happen again...those decisions were made at darker times at Ford when they were just beginning to right the ship. The MKS and MKT are unique vehicles, and only car buffs know or care about their Ford donors. Anyway.

Relax and read the sarcasm.

But if it will make you feel better:

Audi: Smarter then VW

Lexus: Smarter than Toyota

Acura: Smarter Than Honda

Sounds dumb there too.

Relax and read the sarcasm.

But if it will make you feel better:

Audi: Smarter then VW

Lexus: Smarter than Toyota

Acura: Smarter Than Honda

Sounds dumb there too.

The latest is that Porsche is going to increase the size of the Boxster so that VW can slot a cheap sports car under the Boxster that uses VW parts with Porsche name and price. Porsche is losing its independence like it did back in the 80's when it did a cheap 944 Porsche using VW parts bin. The beat continues on.

Since old guys buy Lincolns anyway and this is not changing anytime soon, how about bringing back Jill Wagner. She's probably getting tired of dealing with the crazies on "Wipe Out" and needs a break. I'm sure Jill would look good in an evening dress getting into an MKS or MKZ. She sure didn't hurt Mercury any. I kind of miss her and her voice and Wipe Out only runs during the summer.

• Like 1

Lincoln will be led by expanded product development and marketing, sales and service teams to support the brand’s growth plan and ensure it has a strong cadence of distinct products that are well positioned in the market. Plans for Lincoln include:

-Lincoln’s first-ever small luxury vehicle in the C-segment

-New Lincoln-exclusive powertrains, including an all-new V6 engine and advanced fuel-efficient transmissions

-EcoBoost™ engines available in all Lincolns – from the Navigator full-size SUV to the new C-segment vehicle

-Fuel economy leadership with each new vehicle – leading to Lincoln emerging as the most fuel-efficient luxury lineup on the market

-More useful technology and features than any other competitor, with a special focus on comfort and convenience.

-New advanced features include fully retractable glass roofs; adaptive, computer-controlled suspensions; electronic, push-button gear selectors; active noise control; and exclusive MyLincoln Touch driver connect technology

From the press release.

I almost think Mercury would be less challenging than Lincoln.

Yeah, taking a just-barely-above-mainstream brand to full on luxury status is infinitely easier than bringing a previously-full-and-still-near-luxury brand upmarket just a bit more.

In what world does that make any sense?

Edited by NickF1011

Lincoln may make Mulally look 65 yet. I almost think Mercury would be less challenging than Lincoln. Where to even start.

With Ford's continuing products moving upwards in the market from bargain basement to affordable quality,

the position for Mercury has been over shot by quite a ways. Having a second brand who's sole purpose

is to attract buyers not interested in Ford products is counter productive and and an unnecessary

distraction away from core business.

Ford has just spent the last several years divesting itself of luxury brands that really added nothing to its

bottom line, most of them were on dedicated high series platforms that ate up considerable development

funds and barely covered their costs in sales return. I doubt that Ford wants all Lincoln vehicles to

have dedicated platforms, it doesn't make sense knowing the history of PAG, I think their plan is to make

the base Ford platforms even better, stepping up and over Chevrolet level to more like Buicks,

repositioning Lincolns even higher.

Edited by jpd80

Porsche is losing its independence like it  did back in the 80's when it did a cheap 944 Porsche using VW parts bin. The beat continues on.

No. Wrong car. The cheap VW Porsche was the 924, with a VW 4-cyl. engine. It stiffed, and was replaced with the 944, with new sheet metal and a Porsche-designed 4-cyl. engine, that was unusually large, on the order of 3.2 liters, maybe bigger. The 944 was not particularly "cheap". The beat continues on. :)

I always liked the "American Luxury" tagline; i dont know why they didnt make that work better.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of American Luxury...Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Vera Wang, St Regis Hotels, Chris Craft. These are all American luxury Icons. That's what I want Lincoln to be!