Ford at 2011 NAIAS

Show me where FORD said the names had to be the same.

Exactly! I don't recall Ford saying names had anything at all to do with 'One Ford'. Now, bringing out a new car like the Fiesta, sure, name them the same. But Mulally has already bashed them for renaming cars and losing name recognition, so I don't look for it to happen.

If they introduce the escape in Detroit it is a possibility that they will start building it in late 2011 not mid 2012 as that article states. that timeline would fit better with a January introduction.

Ford press release just out states that LAP will start retooling later this month and be ready to produce new ESCAPE fourth quarter, 2011. Ford will be hiring an additional 1800 worker to go with the 1100 working there now through Dec. 15 building 2010 Explorer. So looks like new ESCAPE will be out at dealers sometime first quarter 2012. 2011 Escape ends production at KCAP around Sept., 2011. KCAP goes to one shift only then building F-150 with possible new models to be named for KCAP sometime in 2011. MO has already given Ford new tax incentives to build new product at KCAP.

No it doesn't. It means they'll share the same platform and (according to the article which was incorrect) manufacturing facilities. I've often heard reference to the Flex/MKT but they don't share a tophat.

Yes it does. Does the Fiesta in Europe have a different body? Does the upcoming Focus have a different body? The MKT is not a GLOBAL FORD, is it?

Yes it does. Does the Fiesta in Europe have a different body? Does the upcoming Focus have a different body? The MKT is not a GLOBAL FORD, is it?

There was no U.S., Fiesta and the U.S. Focus was already close to the Euro Focus in styling and it had the same name already.

Escape and Kuga are established names and designs in their respective markets, as are Fusion and Mondeo.

I don't think Ford wants to ditch the current Escape name or customer base in the U.S. so I don't see the Escape changing much. And I don't know if the Escape tophat design will go over well in Europe.

I'm not saying they WON'T use the same tophat - I'm just saying they don't HAVE to and that the wording in the article doesn't preclude them from having different tophats.

It will all come down to how much different the markets are, especially now that we KNOW the Kuga won't be made in the U.S.

Detroit auto show: Ford to unveil Escape/Kuga concept

AutoWeek

Ford Motor Co. will unveil a near production concept of an SUV in January to replace the Ford Escape in North America and the Ford Kuga in Europe, a Ford source told Automotive News Europe.

The vehicle will go into production in the second half of 2012 and be sold as a 2013 model in the United States, the source said.

Ford has not decided whether the Kuga and Escape will keep their names or share a common badge when the new-generation SUVs arrive. The U.S. automaker's One Ford strategy calls for a single name for vehicles sold in different regions, such as the Fiesta and Focus.

It's likely that Ford of Europe's Saarlouis, Germany, plant will lose production of the Kuga to one of Ford's U.S. plants. The front-runner for the job is Ford's factory in Louisville, Ky. Ford currently builds the Escape, including a hybrid variant, in Kansas City, Mo.

The Saarlouis plant will be the single source for production of the redesigned Focus in western Europe, producing all three body styles--a four-door, five-door and station wagon.

More at link.

If it's wrong, it's in bold.

If the Escape story is correct, I think we're missing an important underlying implication as the story is written. The description of the vehicle as the Escape/Kuga implies that both products will indeed wear the same tophat, versus divergent styling as they currently hold. This would mean that the Escape is moving away from its current boxy/SUV styling, and towards the Kuga's style (however it should be characterized). I'm convinced that the new Explorer establishes Ford's "look" for this type of vehicle, so I expect the Escape will feature a look very much in the idiom of the new Explorer. That look would also be appropriate for the Kuga as well.

meanwhile . . .

Mazda decides that the international/MPV-style Mazda5 is a loser in the U.S.

and develops a SUV-like replacement-for-us (complement-for-elsewhere?)

Autoblog link

Yes, Yes it does.

so bumpers, grill and foglights constitute a different body?.....or are you jumping on the 3 door hatch wagon, which for all intents and purposes looks exactly like our hatch, just sans two doors...

Edited by Deanh

What does everyone expect Ford to show us at the 2011 NAIAS? Is there any chance we might see something that represents Lincoln's new design direction (if there is one)? I would doubt seeing a Lincoln only because Ford just hired the guy from Cadillac.

What should we reasonably expect to see?

EDIT:

12.8.2010: Per Automotive News, Ford will show a "near production concept" of the Escape/Kuga at the show. The article mentions that the writer still doesn't know if both names will be retained, or one name will be used. No mention of the Lincoln version.

http://www.dailytech.com/Ford+to+Build+Next+Gen+Gas+Hybrid+and+PlugIn+Vehicles+on+a+Single+Line/article20404.htm

"Ford ... is cooking up a next generation hybrid and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). We can't reveal the details of this to you now, but these vehicles will be announced in January at the 2011 North American International Auto Show.

"

http://www.dailytech.com/Ford+to+Build+Next+Gen+Gas+Hybrid+and+PlugIn+Vehicles+on+a+Single+Line/article20404.htm

"Ford ... is cooking up a next generation hybrid and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV). We can't reveal the details of this to you now, but these vehicles will be announced in January at the 2011 North American International Auto Show.

"

I'm pretty sure those 2 vehicles are the hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the Focus. Those vehicles are confirmed in an article about MAP and its capability to build the various incarnations of the Focus on the same line.

"

I am excited to here more about this. A Focus hybrid could be the first real Prius competitior. If it can get mpg numbers and $ close to the Prius, anyone would be out of their mind to still buy a Prius.

I am excited to here more about this. A Focus hybrid could be the first real Prius competitior. If it can get mpg numbers and $ close to the Prius, anyone would be out of their mind to still buy a Prius.

Yes and no, many/most of the people who buy a Prius buy it because it's a Prius. In the same way famous women adopt babies from poor African nations instead of babies from poor families in their own country, it's a statement about how awesomely sensitive they are. They want people to know they're driving a Hybrid from a mile away, so a Hybrid that's based on a (superior) gas car interests them less. Ford's hybrids are good and getting better, and they'll sell, but Prius won't be un-seated until it stops being fashionable.

Not so much a Prius competitor but more about raising the bar for compacts in general,

by doing that, vehicles like Cruze begin to look too heavy and struggle to stay with basic

fuel economy bench marks while Toyota's Corolla begin to look a little behind the pace,

in styling, performance, economy and handling dynamics.

It all adds up to more sales for Ford and the new Focus, even before we talk about BEVs.

Yes and no, many/most of the people who buy a Prius buy it because it's a Prius. In the same way famous women adopt babies from poor African nations instead of babies from poor families in their own country, it's a statement about how awesomely sensitive they are. They want people to know they're driving a Hybrid from a mile away, so a Hybrid that 's based on a (superior) gas car interests them less. Ford's hybrids are good and getting better, and they'll sell, but Prius won't be un-seated until it stops being fashionable.

No doubt a lot are buying the Prius for its image, but honestly, what percent is that? Maybe I am giving Prius buyers too much credit, but I'd guess a solid majority of them bought it because they valued its efficiency. There is also probably a good number of buyers that like the efficiency, but refuse to buy one because they are turned off by the image, its heinousness or the all around poor driving experience it offers.

What kind of numbers would a hybrid Focus get? If a Fusion hybrid is getting 40mpg city now, and nothing else was changed other than the smaller size of the Focus, I would guess a 2-3 mpg improvement over the Fusion. But a Focus would use a smaller engine that probably will be more advanced than the current Fusion 2.5, it also has a newer generation hybrid system. 50 mpg city seems reasonable, conservative even. The current Prius is rated 51 city/48 hwy. I'm sure Toyota will improve on this, but a Focus Hybrid could be very competitive with the Prius. Of course, beating the Prius would be better.

• Like 1