Ford Concedes Camaro will outsell Mustang

Except that the Mustang was selling slowly for half of the year, because it didn't have it's current power trains. Anyway, sales aren't what really matters. Ford should worry about making money first.

The Mustang starts at $22K, the Camaro starts at $26K. Up until 2011, the Mustang was a crude machine, almost as primitive as a Ford Ranger (shared an engine too!), the profit margins had to have been huge! I hated the Mustang, it was a prime example of a brand and design slapped on a piece of junk tech that could hardly be considered sporting. But enter 2011 and Ford is finally fearing the competition and we get gorgeous new engines, along with an interior that has great cabin tech. They've also done wonders with that chassis, keeping it light and nimble despite the lamp-post suspension. The V6 Mustang is way too good of a deal at 22K with that engine, it's hard to believe they were charging that for the 4.0LV6 boat anchor.

I still don't like the Mustang and I think Ford has done a poor job responding to the Camaro with the tepid and meaningless 2010 update. Hopefully next gen will see a good design and a proper suspension, at least they have the engines.

Edited by BORG

The Mustang starts at $22K, the Camaro starts at $26K.

Camaro V6 starts at $22,680...LINK to Chevrolet website

Up until 2011, the Mustang was a crude machine, almost as primitive as a Ford Ranger, the profit margins had to have been huge! I hated the Mustang, it was a prime example of a brand and design slapped on a piece of junk tech that could hardly be considered sporting. But enter 2011 and Ford is finally fearing the competition and we get gorgeous new engines, along with an interior that has great cabin tech. They've also done wonders with that chassis, keeping it light and nimble despite the lamp-post suspension. All that must come at some profits, the V6 Mustang is way too good of a deal at 22K with that engine.

I still don't like the Mustang and I think Ford has done a poor job responding to the Camaro with the tepid and meaningless 2010 update. Hopefully next gen will see a good design and a proper suspension, at least they have the engines.

I think you hit the nail on the head with profit taking.

Ford were very efficient and cost conscious with the 2010 version keeping the design fresh enough but the 2011 really needed those better power trains to keep the buyers interested. I'm certain that we're going to see a battle next year with Mustang and Camaro, Ford will tell you that it's all about profit but they have had the Mustang's niche all to themselves for years, maybe some good competition will spark Ford into action.... like improving the Mustang to another level above the heavier Camaro, roll on 2013...

Camaro V6 starts at $22,680...LINK to Chevrolet website

I think you hit the nail on the head with profit taking.

Ford were very efficient and cost conscious with the 2010 version keeping the design fresh enough but the 2011 really needed those better power trains to keep the buyers interested. I'm certain that we're going to see a battle next year with Mustang and Camaro, Ford will tell you that it's all about profit but they have had the Mustang's niche all to themselves for years, maybe some good competition will spark Ford into action.... like improving the Mustang to another level above the heavier Camaro, roll on 2013...

And the Camaro isn't on C&D's Top 10 list either ;)

The V6 Mustang is way too good of a deal at 22K with that engine,

I think Ford has done a poor job responding to the Camaro

What???

You need to go to bed. "the Mustang is fantastic, but it stinks."

And, good grief, you and everybody else that doesn't own a Mustang, would never own a Mustang, hates Mustangs, and flat out doesn't understand Mustangs need to SHUT UP about the suspension, for God's sake. It handles better and rides better and weighs less than the flippin' Camaro, for cryin' out loud.

• Like 1

Ford may want to look at offering a four cylinder "Sport" model of the Mustang starting at around $20,000. I know a lot of people would not be happy with that, but you figure today's four cylinder engines have as much power as a V-6 of ten or even five years ago. Also, Mustang is Ford's only coupe. As we all know, the first Mustang had a wide array of models and engines to attract a larger cross-section of market.

What???

And, good grief, you and everybody else that doesn't own a Mustang, would never own a Mustang, hates Mustangs, and flat out doesn't understand Mustangs need to SHUT UP about the suspension, for God's sake. It handles better and rides better and weighs less than the flippin' Camaro, for cryin' out loud.

Well said :) .

What???

Thank you. I own one of these Mustangs with a so called "boat anchor" engines. It is by far my favorite car and I've owned two Taurus Sho cars and a Lincoln. When i bought the car in 2005, the base price was $19,500 (around there) . Name all the other cars that were as fast as that car for that price.

Oh yeah, no one else sold one.

Borg obviously doesn't know or care much about the Mustang or he would have known that the Mustang had a major exterior AND interior redesign for the 2010 model year. The only significant changes for 2011 were the powertrains. A good example of if you don't know what you are talking about why open your mouth? However, it is an excellent way to lose all credibility.

Of course Camaro won the sale's race. Ford fans may find it hard to believe, but there's an enormous Chevrolet fan base out there, most which absolutely love the Camaro. And with the car just reintroduced after a eight year absence, to good reviews too, why are we surprised that it sold well? The proof in the sales pudding will be 2011. Now that the fan boys have bought the car, we'll see how it does with the general populace.

Of course Camaro won the sale's race. Ford fans may find it hard to believe, but there's an enormous Chevrolet fan base out there, most which absolutely love the Camaro. And with the car just reintroduced after a eight year absence, to good reviews too, why are we surprised that it sold well? The proof in the sales pudding will be 2011. Now that the fan boys have bought the car, we'll see how it does with the general populace.

2012 might be a better candidate thanks to the 2011 convertible, which will probably do pretty good. I don't really like the new camaro, but in vert form it's not bad. The V6 in that thing gets some really nice gas millage which I dig. The interior is just so bleh! It would have been better if they had just remade the thirdgen camaro.

cheese_kake-1992-camaro-z28.jpg

Perhaps Ford should stop making Mustangs and just surrender the market to the Camaro for a few years, so they can sell more Mustangs in one year? [/sarcasm]

Before you posted that I was sitting here thinking "If Ford had stopped making the Mustang for eight years, this situation would be reversed.". :shades:

Borg obviously doesn't know or care much about the Mustang or he would have known that the Mustang had a major exterior AND interior redesign for the 2010 model year. The only significant changes for 2011 were the powertrains. A good example of if you don't know what you are talking about why open your mouth? However, it is an excellent way to lose all credibility.

I'm well aware of the 2010 reskin and the 2011 engine upgrade.

What???

If you want to drive your Mustang around everyday, especially on uneven pavement, you care about the hoping rear-axle and that annoying rear-end shimmy.

The Mustang probably is a good track car, shockingly so, but the Camaro is a much better daily commuter.

• Like 1

If you want to drive your Mustang around everyday, especially on uneven pavement, you care about the hoping rear-axle and that annoying rear-end shimmy.

The Mustang probably is a good track car, shockingly so, but the Camaro is a much better daily commuter.

And your proof consists of what? Vague memories of the Fox body Mustang? Your 3 minutes in a Camaro at an auto show?

I am not concerned about Chevy selling more Camaros than Mustangs. The important things to consider are:

1. The Mustang is a good, quality vehicle (which it is)

2. Ford makes money off it

3. Ford doesn't let it languish in the market (which does not seem to be happening with the consistent upgrades rolling out each year).

As for some comments regarding the upcoming convertible Camaro increasing Camaro sales, I'm not sure there is a huge market for a Camaro convertible over the current one.

What is the percentage of Mustang convertible sales to the coupe version? How many people go in to buy the coupe but in the end opt for the convertible?

And your proof consists of what? Vague memories of the Fox body Mustang? Your 3 minutes in a Camaro at an auto show?

Exactly. I haven't seen one article that claims the CURRENT Mustang is a worse daily driver that the bloated, craptastic outward vision Camaro.

In fact, it's a good bet more Mustangs are daily drivers than the current Camaro. None of our customers use the Camaro as their primary vehicle.

In fact one of our UPS drivers traded his for an Avalanche because the Camaro sat in the garage most of the time.

• Like 1

nearly every website and magazine comparison test done this past year disagrees with you.

The Mustang starts at $22K, the Camaro starts at $26K.1 Up until 2011, the Mustang was a crude machine,2 almost as primitive as a Ford Ranger (shared an engine too!), [/b3]the profit margins had to have been huge! I hated the Mustang, it was a prime example of a brand and design slapped on a piece of junk tech that could hardly be considered sporting4. But enter 2011 and Ford is finally fearing the competition and we get gorgeous new engines, along with an interior that has great cabin tech. 5They've also done wonders with that chassis,6 keeping it light and nimble despite the lamp-post suspension. The V6 Mustang is way too good of a deal at 22K with that engine, it's hard to believe they were charging that for the 4.0LV6 boat anchor.

Borg, you must really hate the Mustang, it seems you are getting your incorrect information from Camaro sites. Lately I've been wondering if someone has hacked into your account. Really, this post is so ill informed and ill logical I wonder if you are ill.

1)No

2) the redesigned '05 was the break through year. C&D 10 Best List, $4000 over sticker.........remember any of that? '10 was a refresh, '11 has the 3.7 & 5.0.

3) Do you remember the 3.8 V6? That powered the Mustang thu 04. The 4.0 was, at the time, a HUGE improvement.

4) You do know that the 05 was loosely based off the LS/Jaguar S Type?

5) That was 2010

6) Yes they have done wonders with the solid rear axle. Enough so that it beats BMW M3s, needless to mention Camaros and Challengers.

?????Dude......GET HELP!

Edited by timmm55