Ford Vertrek Concept

Now, in THAT case, I can see having 2 stalks. I think the stalk on my Fusion is about the limit I would accept for functions (maybe add a rear wiper, if there was one). But to add the SYNC button and the message center controls would be a bit confusing. One ding against the Fiesta for me, then, would be the lack of volume control on the wheel. (Really? There's no volume control for the radio unit on the steering wheel? That would be dealbreaker).

AHA! NOW I HAVE YOU! FALLING DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE! :lol:

Just kidding Brew. :D

What works in the Fiesta's case is it's a 'B' segment subcompact. The center infotainment system volume on/off switch sticks out and is really easy to reach and control because of the overall size of the cabin. It's the same for the menu select and 'OK' switch above it. I have a wheel control for that so no worries.

I agree it wouldn't work in a larger car of mid-size and above. I might agree it's a pain for even a 'C' segment compact. In those cases, the steering wheels are larger anyway. Therefore, there's more room for steering wheel controls. No worries again.

I feel it was maybe an oversight but a good judgement call when you look at it. I'm sure feedback like this is considered for the MCE.

Back on point.................pick a Lincoln name fro this one.

Nice, I was kind of hoping this would be the new Escape so I can convince my GF we can get this as a second vehicle instead of a C-Max (She gave me the down-check on that). I can't afford a Lincoln.

That been said, will this calm the fans who are liking the truck-style of the current Escape?

Back on point.................pick a Lincoln name fro this one.

I've been brushing off the notion of Linc dropping "MK" as wishful thinking, some smart people seem fairly convinced the sexy next-gen Lincolns will be getting proper names. Truth or no decisions yet?

Edited by Moosetang

The more I look at it the more I'm starting to like it. It's not bad.... I still prefer the current escape, and while I think I'd rather buy a used <2011 than this, I think I'm starting to appreciate it. Hopefully it won't appear until 2013, and I can have an extra year to save up for the Current Escape.

Anyone have an idea when it's coming out? I've heard they might start building it by the end of the year for 2012, but I've also seen in places a 2013 date.

Hope you're right. I don't recall any pictures of any mules or whatever driving around. :)

From FREE PRESS

Forget the Vertrek's name, but remember its looks and features: They're very close to the production vehicle that will replace Ford's Escape and Kuga SUVs in North America and Europe. Look for the new Escape to hit the road in about a year.

I assume they will have a short run of 2012 Escapes in the fall and then introduce the new one as a 2013 next year about this time. Am I thinking right?

Yep.

How long ago did Louisville go down? Wasn't it this summer? That plant should be a good ways into the change from Explorer to global C architecture. I'd bet they'll start building the new Escape right around the end of the year, holding the batch/release program until next February or so.

I wonder if this will be built alongside the Verscape (ala Tribute)... Seems to make the CX-7 redundant. (Which is already a modified C1 platform)

Doubtful, given what has happened with the Mazada relationship with Ford currently, I see pretty much anything Ford-Mazada related going to the wayside. The Tribute sells in pathetic numbers vs the Escape and is the last product shared inbetween the two of them thats just badged engineered.

if anything the concept is the future styling direction for the CX-7 and 9

Doubtful, given what has happened with the Mazada relationship with Ford currently, I see pretty much anything Ford-Mazada related going to the wayside. The Tribute sells in pathetic numbers vs the Escape and is the last product shared inbetween the two of them thats just badged engineered.

if anything the concept is the future styling direction for the CX-7 and 9

Mazda wanted to make its own decisions without going through Ford's leadership, Ford wanted to concentrate on its core brands and not have to worry about getting Mazda working. Neither of those precludes platform sharing or cooperation when their interests align

The T-6 is shared. Until the next redesign the Fusion, Edge, MKX, and MKZ still use a Mazda platform. Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta use a co-developed platform. I could easily see a "CX-5" built with plenty of borrowed new Escape bits under the skin.