Tarnished Chrome: How to fix Lincoln

PART 1:

mkx.jpg

What do you envision when thinking of Ford's Lincoln brand? The Town Car that picked you up from the airport last week? The Navigator on 20" rims that bumps around with its music too loud? The champagne-colored Continental doing 10 under the speed limit in the fast lane?

With the Ford brand now turned around under the excellent guidance of CEO Alan Mulally, top brass have turned their attention to the long-neglected Lincoln lineup. In 2010, they announced that the Mercury brand was being phased out (a wise move, Mercury hadn't been relevant in the marketplace since the Nixon administration), and former Lincoln/Mercury dealers would have to sustain themselves with Lincoln alone.

This significant drop in volume has been enough to close several smaller dealerships, and that's exactly what Ford had in mind. The Lincoln dealer channel was multiple times larger than competing brands, and the company would prefer Lincoln dealers focus on competing with the competition instead of each other.

So, what's wrong with Lincoln? It's more than a product problem, a marketing problem, or a brand awareness problem. The issue is an obvious lack of vision on those who have been running the brand over the last decade.

Continued at link

PART 2:

mkr.jpg

Well, it looks like 64% of you agree with me. In the poll (which closed late Thursday night), almost 2/3 of voters thought that an Audi-like model would be the best for Lincoln going ahead. While all proposed options would definitely be fun to discuss and "sandbox," I'm definitely most comfortable with the winner: A model borrowed from the Audi brand, sharing higher volume platforms but featuring exclusive style and technology.

Before we get to a lineup, we need to decide on a vision for the brand. Hopefully, this very same discussion is happening in a Detroit conference room too. If I were calling the shots, Lincoln would be hallmarked by distinctive styling, unparalleled technology, and driver-configurable "profiles" that adjust suspension settings, transmission and engine settings, interior atmosphere, etc. Overall, though, I'd like Lincoln to represent a line of unpretentious, effortless luxury: A car you buy because it doesn't look, feel, or drive like anything else on the road, not because of the badge on the hood.

Continued at link

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Very few Audi models share platforms with VWs. (A3, Q7, and TT). They share a lot of technology and components, but are otherwise unique. That would be a great direction for Lincoln to go.

I guess that depends how you define "platform," as VW's "B" platform does damnnear everything. Most other Audi's are built on the MLB architure, which is the variation of the "B" that mounts the engine longitudinally.

Keep in mind, too, Audi has global volumes to help offset that specialized platform. It's a great goal for Lincoln, but not realistic to expect in the near term.

I was thinking about something the other day, wondering what everyone else thought. Remember when they were talking about a Lincoln Superduty a few weeks back? What if they brought back something similar to the Excursion, but Lincolned the F out. I think that would be pretty awesome for people that need the space and towing capacity. I always loved the Excursion and hated to see it go. Hell, I'd like to see the Ford version make a return as well, with a 2 door version as the Bronco :shades: Now THAT would be a badass off roading platform to start with. One ton axles, huge power from either motor, coil sprung up front! AWESOME! :hysterical: Also, with the talks of IFS on F250 a while back (I don't remember if these were just rumors or what, but I'd still like to see it on the 3/4 tons), that would be a perfect fit for the front of the Lincolncursion.

I was really hoping to get some feedback on this (quoted from Pt 2 of the blog)...

For example, let's look at MyFord/MyLincoln Touch systems (sharing the same naming formula should change, too). What if you could take that "brain" and incorporate it into a Heads Up display? Then, picture an IR light curtain running from the gauge pod to the headliner, allowing the Heads Up display to act as a virtual touchscreen? The vital information (Profile; Atmosphere; Audio; Performance) could be projected as 4 wide buttons in a horizontal row at the base of the driver's field of vision (calibrated with the IR curtain setting based off of seat adjustment). Using the IR curtain to detect "interruptions" would mean the driver wouldn't have to physically touch the windshield or anything else; once the IR was interrupted, the next screen would display (profile would bring up 4 preset profile options; Atmosphere would bring up 2 "slide" controls for temp and fan; Auto would bring up a volume slider and "favorites" list of presets; and Performance would bring up some basic control settings). This setup would allow the driver to control the MyLincoln Touch system either by voice or touch, without ever taking their eyes off the road. Of course, the screen would remain for full functionality.

It started with a pie-in-the-sky idea of tuning the windshield into a touch sensitive display. That obviously wouldn't work (as not everybody can safely reach to touch their windshield, plus the fingerprints), but I then came up with the idea of integrating a heads up display with an infared light curtain running from dash to headliner to pickup the drivers "touches" on the projected screen.

I was really hoping to get some feedback on this (quoted from Pt 2 of the blog)...

It started with a pie-in-the-sky idea of tuning the windshield into a touch sensitive display. That obviously wouldn't work (as not everybody can safely reach to touch their windshield, plus the fingerprints), but I then came up with the idea of integrating a heads up display with an infared light curtain running from dash to headliner to pickup the drivers "touches" on the projected screen.

I like the idea of it, but am a bit confused by it's use - is this something that is to presumably be used while driving? So you'll have drivers waving their hands all around while driving down the road? Or am I misinterpreting what you're saying?

I like the idea of it, but am a bit confused by it's use - is this something that is to presumably be used while driving? So you'll have drivers waving their hands all around while driving down the road? Or am I misinterpreting what you're saying?

You're thinking too big, my friend.

Picture 4 rectangular "buttons" projected at the bottom of the drivers field of vision, essentially above and several inches "behind" the top of the wheel. Instead of taking your eyes off the road to feel around the center stack, you keep looking forward as the buttons are already in your field of vision.

Calibrating it would be very tricky, but the end result would be an awesome new interface to use the existing MyLincoln Touch technology. It'd be like a virtual touchscreen between the driver and the windshield.

It's definitely neat from a technology standpoint but I don't see it being practical while you're driving. Then again I don't like HUDs anyway.

I think Lincoln needs fewer dealers and a premium dealer experience with free maintenance, longer warrantys, free LINCOLN loaners, etc.

The vehicles need to be drop dead gorgeous on the outside and inside with all of the requisite luxury features. A high performance line would be nice but isn't completely necessary - at least not right away.

It's definitely neat from a technology standpoint but I don't see it being practical while you're driving. Then again I don't like HUDs anyway.

It definitely wouldn't be for everybody, but a simpler interface for MyLincoln Touch could help quiet the critics who are condemning it as a distraction. Keep in mind, I'm thinking a wide and short horizontal "bar" at the very base of the field of vision. Smaller than the HUD's of GM's past.

I think Lincoln needs fewer dealers and a premium dealer experience with free maintenance, longer warrantys, free LINCOLN loaners, etc.

The restricted volume plan seems to be working. Krieger Lincoln in the Dublin area (NW corner of the Columbus outerbelt) is in the process of closing, leaving Bob Boyd as the only Lincoln dealer in the Metro. Bob Boyd is already delivering a premium experience, and I'm excited to see what they're cooking up. The free Lincoln loaners will be required under the new requirements announced at the end of last year.

The vehicles need to be drop dead gorgeous on the outside and inside with all of the requisite luxury features. A high performance line would be nice but isn't completely necessary - at least not right away.

Absolutely agree. I really want to see a Lincoln styling DNA developed (slapping the same grille on every car is *not* DNA). In my ideal lineup posted on the blog, I'm most excited about the Sentinel and the CrosSport... I'm a big fan of Lincoln creating their own segments, instead of trying to only play in established segments.

I am an older customer, one that you would think would be a likely Lincoln buyer. However, I am not a Lincoln customer. Perhaps it is time to give Lincoln the same treatment that Mercury received. The logic of dropping Mercury and selling off the other brands was to devote more time and dollars to Ford. I think that was probably the right thing to do. That logic can also be applied to the stalled Lincoln brand. Like Mercury, they are simply fancier Fords. Only more costly than the Merc rebadge.

Dropping Lincoln would create even more opportunity to focus on Ford and continue developing a supperior brand and brand image. Personally, I would prefer a premium Ford to a Lincoln. Lincoln may well be beyond the help that Ford can afford or even want to put into the brand.

I have one relative that has had Lincolns for the past three or four vehicles. After driving our Edge, she is now looking at Ford rather than Lincoln. She will not trade this year, but when she does she will be shopping Ford. I think that Lincoln buyers are so few, that the transition to ALL FORD would not be very painful.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ford is going to kill off the MKS for good. No mules and no previews at auto shows. Ford would be wise to kill off the MKS and bring out a new premium sedan called the Sentinel that is hopefully RWD and uses Ford's great, new 5.0 V8 with 7 speed auto. The MKS is dead in water and refresh won't help much. The utter silence from Ford on new products leads me to believe big change is coming, and that is good. If I'm right, then I have confidence in Lincoln, if not and just more MK refreshes, then I have no confidence in Ford's ability to turn around LIncoln as they did the Ford brand. If your flagship sedan is mediocre as is the present MKS, then the rest of the offerings get that mediocrity label also. Lincoln needs an inspiring, very desirable flagship sedan that uses Ford's best drivetrain. Standard engine would be EB 3.7L V6 and option would be 450hp 5.0 V8. Anything less is half ass in my book and not worth the time and effort. Drop the goofball MKS name which connotes sales failure now and go with the cool sounding Sentinel name.

• Like 1

You're thinking too big, my friend.

Picture 4 rectangular "buttons" projected at the bottom of the drivers field of vision, essentially above and several inches "behind" the top of the wheel. Instead of taking your eyes off the road to feel around the center stack, you keep looking forward as the buttons are already in your field of vision.

Calibrating it would be very tricky, but the end result would be an awesome new interface to use the existing MyLincoln Touch technology. It'd be like a virtual touchscreen between the driver and the windshield.

Ok, I see - that makes more sense then.

I'm beginning to wonder if Ford is going to kill off the MKS for good. No mules and no previews at auto shows.

I don't remember seeing anything Focus-related (mules, etc.) before it debuted either.......

I'm beginning to wonder if Ford is going to kill off the MKS for good. No mules and no previews at auto shows. Ford would be wise to kill off the MKS and bring out a new premium sedan called the Sentinel that is hopefully RWD and uses Ford's great, new 5.0 V8 with 7 speed auto. The MKS is dead in water and refresh won't help much. The utter silence from Ford on new products leads me to believe big change is coming, and that is good. If I'm right, then I have confidence in Lincoln, if not and just more MK refreshes, then I have no confidence in Ford's ability to turn around LIncoln as they did the Ford brand. If your flagship sedan is mediocre as is the present MKS, then the rest of the offerings get that mediocrity label also. Lincoln needs an inspiring, very desirable flagship sedan that uses Ford's best drivetrain. Standard engine would be EB 3.7L V6 and option would be 450hp 5.0 V8. Anything less is half ass in my book and not worth the time and effort. Drop the goofball MKS name which connotes sales failure now and go with the cool sounding Sentinel name.

Ford had 2 Lincolns ready to display in Chicago to show the future Lincoln design theme, but because they hired Wolf they decided to let him tweak the designs to suit his vision so they cancelled the Chicago showing.

The rest of your and Eel's rants are so old and tired that they're not worth responding to.

• Like 1

Ford had 2 Lincolns ready to display in Chicago to show the future Lincoln design theme, but because they hired Wolf they decided to let him tweak the designs to suit his vision so they cancelled the Chicago showing.

The rest of your and Eel's rants are so old and tired that they're not worth responding to.

So, New York then?

He asked for opinions Eel responded and you insulted him. Nice.

He wasn't ranting he just stated his view on Lincoln but you didnt like it so you stepped on him.

To fix an entire car line with a reputation as damaged as Lincoln would require an all-new bad ass flagship V8 rear wheel drive "THIS is the new Lincoln and it proves we are serious" luxury car. That is how Lexus was launched back in '89. The LS400 shared nothing with standard Toyotas. Sure they later rebadged a Camry and offered up a "starter Lexus" after the LS400 launched the brand but the reputation was not built on that.

Odds are Lincoln will not get that kind of investment and they will most likely just try to pack as much bling/flash into existing FWD platforms as possible and hope for the best. And every review writer will quickly and frequently compare it to the standard Ford platform it shares, just like they do now.

Yes, my "rant" is old and tired to...just like Lincoln.

Edited by F250
  • Like 1

Thats a good point you bring out...I do remember back in 89 Lexus came out with the LS, it was an example of what to aspire to in their dealership. Then also styled the entry Lexus, somewhat like the larger one. For those who cant afford, can somewhat come close. Other automakers have followed that same formula. Without a proper flagship, it doesnt give the customers a cohesive conclusion of what to aspire to within the showroom.

Not sure why some people feel the need to respond to others posts or challenge them on every issue they might speak on. If the person wishes to say something, fine, just an opinion...but to take the time and effort to try to challenge their view seems pointless. People do have the option to block viewing posts of specific people, I have done that since some happen to be controversial and embattled.

To fix an entire car line with a reputation as damaged as Lincoln would require an all-new bad ass flagship V8 rear wheel drive "THIS is the new Lincoln and it proves we are serious" luxury car.

I think the only thing that is going to do is win approval of the car mags like Car and Driver or Motor Trend. They gushed over the the Holden Marnoro and when it came over as a Pontiac G8 (and the GTO before it) both where major flops.

The CTS could be considered Caddy's only success sales wise (and in the magazines) but at what cost? Several Billion dollars that haven't been recouped yet and a spawn from the same platform was replaced by a Chevy based product?

There are more ways to skin a cat then just come out with a RWD car. Now that Ford seems to be fixed, they can finally work on Lincoln and give it the proper attention and plan its been lacking for the past 15 years or so.

I think the only thing that is going to do is win approval of the car mags like Car and Driver or Motor Trend. They gushed over the the Holden Marnoro and when it came over as a Pontiac G8 (and the GTO before it) both where major flops.

The Monaro [Marnoro] was the GTO, not the G8 (The G8 was the Commodore).

First, Pontiac was GM, and pre-bankruptcy GM at that. Second, Pontiac was, well, Pontiac. Pontiac and Lincoln target two distinct audiences. While I do agree a flagship for Lincoln does not have to be a V8, or RWD, but it certainly needs to be something more than the current MkS, and a RWD/AWD 5.0/EcoBoost Sedan could go a long way to improving Lincolns image really quick though IMHO.

The CTS could be considered Caddy's only success sales wise (and in the magazines) but at what cost? Several Billion dollars that haven't been recouped yet and a spawn from the same platform was replaced by a Chevy based product?

I'd say the SRX is a success, but it's a tarted up Equinox (ok, with some platform tweaks). Having just one "legitimate" Luxury vehicle (the CTS) helps Cadillacs perception as a luxury marque.

The resurgence of Lincoln cannot be on product alone, however. I remember shopping MB, BMW, Jag, and Porsche with my Dad in the early 90s and their dealerships made today's hold-over 70s era Lincoln and Caddy dealerships look high end. At the time my Dad ended up with a Lexus (An SC300, which is one of the only Lexus vehicles I ever liked). The Lexus dealership experience made all those other dealerships seem decidedly low-class. Times have changed. (At least around here). MB, BMW, Jag, and Porsche are all in new dealerships which emulate what Lexus started in the 80/90s. Our local Lexus dealer is now on their second all-new dealership. Meanwhile, the local Lincoln dealer, who's service department is excellent (It's where I get my Escape serviced), has a building which is antiquated and last updated in the Reagan era.

There are more ways to skin a cat then just come out with a RWD car. Now that Ford seems to be fixed, they can finally work on Lincoln and give it the proper attention and plan its been lacking for the past 15 years or so.

AGAIN, Lincoln has gotten FOUR new MK vehicles last few years with two updates already in MKX and MKZ and none have resonated that well with luxury customers. Even the MKX has not proven any sales traction as of yet, and it's by far the best of this sorry lot. Without a flagship RWD Sentinel or whatever Ford calls it and hope to god it's not MK, Lincoln doesn't have a chance IMO. It looks to me like Ford's lacking in self confidence as to what it will take to turn Lincoln around, and has trashed what it planned to do, and is now looking to a Cadillac designer to turn things around. I'm not into the sharp crease, edgy, high beltline, thick, raked A pillar look, but at least Cadillac somewhat resonates with luxury buyers. Ironic though that an ex-Cadillac designer is the annointed one now. It's like Ford has thrown its hands up and is going outside since no one in house has a clue. The MK debacle proves that.

• Like 2