v6 accounting for 1/3 of F150 sales

I believe the important fact is that it's probably the first time that having the base engine, Isnt a bad thing. When the boat anchor 4.2L V6 was used in the F150, it was like "Oh, the cheap engine", "Oh, they couldnt afford better", "it must have been a work truck special" all negative comments...whereas with the new 3.7L, the perception is more "Oh they were aiming for good fuel economy", because the engine isn't giving up performance either.

I believe the important fact is that it's probably the first time that having the base engine, Isnt a bad thing. When the boat anchor 4.2L V6 was used in the F150, it was like "Oh, the cheap engine", "Oh, they couldnt afford better", "it must have been a work truck special" all negative comments...whereas with the new 3.7L, the perception is more "Oh they were aiming for good fuel economy", because the engine isn't giving up performance either.

Agreed. Back in the mid 1990s, V6 (and I6) half tons were actually quite popular. Back then, they didn't give up all that much power to their V8 brothers and typically achieved better real world fuel economy. Fast forward to 2010. V8s received the bulk of the development dollars and V6s were all using outdated tech. It eventually got to the point of where V8s were drastically more powerful than V6s and achieved better fuel economy, so nobody bought V6 trucks anymore. Ford decided to drop a thoroughly modern V6 in the F150 with great power and fuel economy and all the sudden it's popular again.

I think people have always wanted a good V6 powered truck, it's just that nobody offered one until now.

Well, being the 3.7L has good power and fuel economy, it's no surprise to me.

But still wonder how many of those trucks are XL work trucks compared to people really opting for the 3.7L on their own dime for their personal rig.

I'm not surprised either, I still own a 1992 Ford F150 with the I6, best motor ever made, takes alot of punishment and keeps going, 150+K miles. Although I bought a 2011 F150 King Ranch with the EB Motor, I'll keep Old Blue, GREAT truck!

Edited by JimmyLeeRose

It's about time! For 70% of pickup owners, this motor is fine. The I6's of the past dutifully carried loads.

The huge V8's are just for bragging rights in social circles.

Them old 300/I6 were great. Had one in an 81 F150 with over 300K miles. When sold, the motor still purred like a kitten, but the rest of the truck was slowly falling apart.

The headline is a little misleading. The 3.7L + the 3.5L EB equal about 35% (just over 1/3) of sales. Honestly, I expected it to be a little higher than that, but I guess it takes time to win over truck buyers.

I know it will be way higher. There are countless post on other forums with people waiting for their EB F-150's. If Ford can get these trucks out it will definitetly pick up. Plus, the 5.0L has been for sale way before the EB was even offered. The folks who needed a truck right then got 5.0"s, it seems most people want the EB. The dealers just don't have them to sell.

Thats one of the reasons that for years I always recommend the V8 Explorer's over the 4.0L SOHC V6. While the V6 was bulletproof overall (cept for the plasticky manifolds) fuel economy wise it didn't do that much better than the V8. I think Ford focused more on the DOHC 3.0L of the time, than the 4.0L...and while the 3.8L and 4.2L did get some attention at one point, I would still classify that as not very competitive as with other V6s it competed with.

I remember the first time I touched a friends 4.2L in a 96 F150, I thought it was "broken". Sounded like a hair dryer, and the tranny from hell to go along with it, urrrgg some memories I want to forget.

I would prefer a FX2 w/3.7L but it's not currently offered. Not that I'm complaining about having to get the 5.0 (later this year).

Then again I hardly ever tow anything or haul any heavy loads, and my previous trucks were Rangers.

Just curious...why you going 5.0 instead of EB?

I remember the first time I touched a friends 4.2L in a 96 F150, I thought it was "broken". Sounded like a hair dryer, and the tranny from hell to go along with it, urrrgg some memories I want to forget.

Thank God those days are over! No wonder we barely survived.

This number will definitally be going up once there is actually stock on the lots, of EB trucks. Currently, you are lucky to find a dealership with 1-2 on the ground. While their websites will list more, they are listing customer orders, also.

The awful dealership that we test drove one at, tried to play the "we won't be getting another one for 6 months" game on us. I guess they thought we were stupid. Well, there was that, and the $3000 market adjustment on it. :rolleyes:

I guess it will take a year or two to really see how these new V-6's in the real world. Even on the GM side the V-8's got better fuel economy than the V-6's. Never really understood why the kept making them. The new EB is one of the big reasons I'm switching to Ford. I need a pickup for my equipment trailer and camper but have to use it as a daily driver as well. These new V-6's are a welcome addition. Now if it would just get here. :banghead:

Significant buyers wanting a V6 in F 150, could it be that Ford was right in it's estimations

about which truck the market really wanted, an efficient F 150 instead of another Ranger?

They either park outside or have a helluva lot bigger garage than I do.

I suspect a lot of these V6 F150s are 2wd white single cabs. There is no question that there are a lot of F150 commercial sales and they generally buy the most basic setup. How many 2V 4.6s w/4 speed autos were sold in the last couple of years vs. the 6 speed models?

I was F150 shopping in the last few weeks and was at a number of Ford dealers and only saw 1 3.7 V6 on the lots. There were a few EBs, but they were outnumbered by 5.0s by probably 5 to 1.

Who built your guy's garages, Munchkins? It's not like their wasn't large vehicles in the past.

Depending on when your house was built, the garage can be on the tight side. My parents moved into new construction retirement place back in 2003. My mom had a 02 Explorer that fit in there fine...it was a replaced by a 2008 Sable, which barely fits in the garage. My dad's Ranger Super Cab fits just right in the otherside of the Garage. I'm not sure how well a SuperCab F-150 would fare in there though...

Standard 2 car garages will be approx. 20x20Ft. for most newer construction. Lets do a quick history on floorplans. Usually Pre-30s you mainly had carports and it was a luxury to have an enclosed one. In the 50s, we had the baby boom and suburban construction. Usually a one car garage measuring 9x18 Ft was the norm in most tract home developments. 9x18Ft is the standard size for Urban parking lot spaces, while 10x20Ft is more suburban. As some families became 2 income families, the garage grew in the late 60s, early 70s where 20x20 is, and has been the standard for most of these past decades. One way I measure the "quality" of the home, is the size of the garage actually. Some lesser quality builders will give you an 18x18 nowadays. And just how our Closets have grown, our Master Bedrooms have grown, our Master Bathrooms have grown, so has our garages where you will start getting the 3 car garages becoming more popular. I have a 3 car garage but I also designed it to fit larger cars, so I did a 25Ft deep, by 34Ft Wide. And the last "bay", I had overhead shower heads I installed, which essentially helps me wash the car :) I always have to go that extra step...