Ford Motor Company April 2011 Sales Figures

What is curious is that GM haven't released Q1 financial results yet,

maybe they are still crunching numbers, trying to put a good spin on them......

If that Q1 result isn't up to market expectations, stock prices must surely fall.

GM earning report is this Thursday. Estimated 1.4 Billion. If they did earn 1.4 billion, I still feel sorry for them. They sold much much more car then Ford did, but they only earn half of profit than Ford did. I really wish they earned more than that, otherwise our dear president will feel bad for that.

According to Nick on GMI, GM's numbers are supposed to be spectacular. He was supposedly told preliminaries.

Who knows. I guess we will see. GM should be making alot more than Ford. They have no debt for goodness sakes.

They should also be selling alot more than Ford, they have twice the number of brands for goodness sake. :shades:

I can't beleive how many MKZs i'm seeing around town here. At least 4-5 per day. My dad has a 2010 and love it. I just wish people didn't buy them because they come with $7,000 in rebates on the hood. If it weren't for that though I have a feeling Lincoln wouldn't be here right now.

Looking at the take rate for it on the vehicles that offer it, you're clearly in the minority on that one.

Not sure it is as simple as that. For example, I bought an Edge just last Thurs. I really wanted the leather interior. In the Limited, leather is standard, you get my touch. If you order leather package in the SEL, my-touch is part of that package. So Ford, at least Edge, is packageing the my-touch to move with something as simple as leather int.

I want to see inventory numbers.

Days of inventory (U.S.) as of April 1, 2011:

• BMW: 33 (BMW 31, Mini 40)
  • Chrysler Group: 67 (Chrysler Div. 51, Dodge 51, Ram 91, Fiat 192, Jeep 80)
  • Daimler AG/Mercedes-Benz: 51
  • Ford Motor Co.: 52 (Ford Div. 51, Lincoln 77)
  • General Motors: 75 (Buick 89, Cadillac 92, Chevrolet 69, GMC Truck 92)
  • American Honda: 48 (Acura 60, Honda Div. 47)
  • Hyundai-Kia: 31 (Hyundai 36, Kia 22)
  • Jaguar Land Rover NA: 54
  • Mazda: 62
  • Mitsubishi Motors: 79
  • Nissan: 39 (Nissan Div. 38, Infiniti 48)
  • Porsche: 46
  • Saab Cars NA: 141
  • Subaru: 37
  • Suzuki: 75
  • Toyota: 50 (Toyota Div./Scion 52, Lexus 37)
  • Volkswagen: 71 (Volkswagen Div. 86, Audi 29)
  • Volvo Cars: 52
  • Industry Average: 54

According to Nick on GMI, GM's numbers are supposed to be spectacular. He was supposedly told preliminaries.

Who knows. I guess we will see. GM should be making alot more than Ford. They have no debt for goodness sakes.

Don't discount GM's international operations. 2011 could very well be the year that GM sells more vehicles in China than they sell in the U.S. That's why they'll be introducing 60 new models there in the next five years.

If that's what he's saying I'm sure the SEC would be interested, maybe he should get some advice from M. Stewart on that....

GM also has an older lineup of vehicles than Ford and may have something to do with higher incentives. With Toyota and Honda suffering from production constraint, I would suspect that will buy GM some time unitl it can get out newer models and cut back incentives to Ford levels that are still higher than imports. Also, Volt sales are down because GM sent its dealers over 300 Volts as demonstrators that won't be sold for 3-6 months. GM seems to be hanging in there OK with lower debt and more cash on hand than Ford. As the months pass, less and less people will care about the bankruptcy and more will be looking at product and price. GM is competitive and will be more so as new product comes out the door. I personally could care less about the Ford/GM fan wars. I only care that both do well along with Chrysler. For that matter, everyone as we are a global economy now and depend more on each other than ever for economic stability.

You want to explain to me how GM has more than $21b in cash this close to bankruptcy?? And how about the fact that the government still owns a 60% share, which their gonna sell at a huge loss to txpayers. I'm sure they will cook the books plenty to try and raise that stock price.

BTW fordbuyer, I think you are definitely on the wrong forum. From what I can tell, the last ford you bought was in 2002? All i ever see you write about is that damn Porsche.

Speaking of chrysler, if gas prices stay up, they are done. Their small cars are simply crap!

Sales through April, 2011:

Mustang 23,599 +13%

Flex 8,750 -31%

I personally like the Flex and hope it survives with freshening. Choice is good and it's up to Ford to market it in a way that differentiates it from the Explorer. It seems to me the freshening will also take some marketing dollars to show consumers that it's different and point them out. So far anyway if Ford was expecting increased buyers in showroom to look at new Explorer to also increase Flex sales, it's simply not working. Time for another plan. The Flex is too nice of vehicle to just forget about in marketing sense.

Stop comparing Mustang to Flex.

You bring up the point about buyers coming in to see Explorer and then choosing Flex not happening - sure, I proposed that idea a while back, but I realize that the new-for-2009 Flex would be handicapped compared to the new-for-2011 Explorer because of the Explorer's additional options/features/etc.. The only advantages the Flex has over the Explorer right now are: it has a bit more interior room, the 3.5L EcoBoost engine, and that's about it - a few other things are preferences (lower stance, longer, full Vista roof, etc.), and as a whole I think most people at the moment are overlooking those few advantages of the Flex and going to the Explorer. Now, am I saying that the scales will tip the other way when Flex gets a refresh? Absolutely not, I realize it's a polarizing vehicle, but I certainly think we will see sales improve when all the Explorer's features (if not more) are added to the Flex.

I'm having problems reading the sales table... it keeps taking me to March.

If you're seeing it say "Mar11sales.pdf....." in the title bar, yes, mine says that too, but the actual document/PDF is for April sales. If it's actually linking you to a March PDF, then I don't know what to tell you.

192 days of Fiat inventory????

LOL - I actually saw a Fiat 500 this evening - actually I kinda liked it (first time seeing one in person) - better looking than a Smart car, but I guess it seats 4 doesn't it (makes it longer than the Smart).

What I think is the biggest take away from this is the add-on volume. Meaning, largely, the Fiesta. That's a car that basically didn't exist a year ago. Now, it's 9000/month or ~100k more Fords/year on the road. Sure, profit on a Fiesta isn't as large as the Flex or F150, but a Ford on the road and an owner that likes it is good advertising.

Add to that the dramatic increase in Explorer sales---that model was essentially dead in the water. Now, we're looking at 12000 sales/month with very likely a lot more profit per unit. That makes the investment made in its development easily recovered. This is the kind of stuff that I LOVE to see in Ford right now. Sure, there are sour points, but good grief--this company is huge and it's run with an eye on profit and recovery. Mulally has approved investments in the areas that are going to produce ROI most quickly and to the largest extent.

That means Ford isn't going to do an all-new model for 14 different models all at once. Ford is the cash cow and the crown jewel...so the whining about Lincoln is just foolhardy.

Add to that the dramatic increase in Explorer sales---that model was essentially dead in the water. Now, we're looking at 12000 sales/month with very likely a lot more profit per unit. T

Would be very interesting to see the Explorer sell 145K or more units a in a year...I'd think that put it back into the best selling SUV/CUV again.

Not sure it is as simple as that. For example, I bought an Edge just last Thurs. I really wanted the leather interior. In the Limited, leather is standard, you get my touch. If you order leather package in the SEL, my-touch is part of that package. So Ford, at least Edge, is packageing the my-touch to move with something as simple as leather int.

If customers weren't expressing overwhelming interest in it, it wouldn't be included in so many of the packages and trim levels.

If you're seeing it say "Mar11sales.pdf....." in the title bar, yes, mine says that too, but the actual document/PDF is for April sales. If it's actually linking you to a March PDF, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, it's definitely March. I was using those exact same Taurus numbers in a discussion on another forum.

ETA: OK, I went to the page in Firefox instead of Chrome, and it shows the April numbers. In Chrome they're still March. :huh:

LOL - I actually saw a Fiat 500 this evening - actually I kinda liked it (first time seeing one in person) - better looking than a Smart car, but I guess it seats 4 doesn't it (makes it longer than the Smart).

I think I need to get out to Atlanta or something. Little chance of seeing a Fiat here... unless the person driving it got it from Atlanta. :shades:

Yeah, it's definitely March. I was using those exact same Taurus numbers in a discussion on another forum.

ETA: OK, I went to the page in Firefox instead of Chrome, and it shows the April numbers. In Chrome they're still March. :huh:

I think I need to get out to Atlanta or something. Little chance of seeing a Fiat here... unless the person driving it got it from Atlanta. :shades:

With $4 gas pretty much the norm now in many areas of the country including here, it will be interesting to see how well the Mexican built Fiat 500 sells in states. I for one am looking forward to seeing them on streets. With so many of the new vehicles from America and overseas looking the same, maybe Italian designers can bring more interesting shapes here. I sure hope so as I find the same design cues of arched hoods, slit windows, and heavily sloped windshields with huge A pillars getting rather nondescript out there. Leave it to the Italians to explore design a little more. If anything else, it will make streetscape scenes more interesting. The more the merrier.

• Like 1

Must be another big slap up celebration meal for Big Al he must be putting a lot of weight on.

Durable dinosaur Crown Vic sales up 114% it just won't die, F-Series sales as awesome as ever & Stang sales up 59%, another superb month for Ford in the US.

:rolleyes:

Crown Vic is 100% fleet. Police agencies, for one, are stockpiling them before they go the way of the dodo.

"Durable dinosaur Crown Vic sales up 114% it just won't die."

Some Police departments are stockpiling them. Sold 6586 PI's and only 943 Town Cars last month, no Grand Marqs at all. The raw numbers of Panther sales are snow not enough to keep a whole plant goinrunning. Panther is dead after August, RIP.

Edited by 630land

Re: The table of days of inventory... How the hell can Saab have 141 days of cars when they haven't been making them from the first week of April?!!!

Because the cars Saab built and imported in the previous ten months or so haven't exactly sold at a rapid rate, or are still in transit.

Formulae:

Days of supply or inventory = (Number of units in inventory on a particular date)/(DSR)

DSR = (Sales Volume for period)/(Number of selling days in period)

Edited by aneekr