Dodge talks ****

Fgts

The only reason "some" people are goo-goo over the new Durango, is only because the previous one is so bad, that this one looks stellar in everyway. Also consider, their first commercial that makes excuses about the Durango being absent a few years, and how it was over in Europe, toning up and flexing in muscles. IN other words, the message to previous Durango customers is "your car was awful and we are so embrassed that we had to leave the country and learn how to make cars elsewhere"... When your EXPLAINING your product, just like politics, YOUR losing. And as sales show, the Explorer is selling almost double what the Durango is selling.

The only reason "some" people are goo-goo over the new Durango, is only because the previous one is so bad, that this one looks stellar in everyway. Also consider, their first commercial that makes excuses about the Durango being absent a few years, and how it was over in Europe, toning up and flexing in muscles. IN other words, the message to previous Durango customers is "your car was awful and we are so embrassed that we had to leave the country and learn how to make cars elsewhere"... When your EXPLAINING your product, just like politics, YOUR losing. And as sales show, the Explorer is selling almost double what the Durango is selling.

And if you are only pointing to sales stats to claim best in class status you are loosing.

McDonalds sells the most burgers so they are the best

Budweiser sells the most beer so they are the best

Camry is the best selling sedan so it is the best

etc...etc...

edit: F-Series really is the best in class but not simply because of sales stats. :D

Edited by F250

In fairness, doesn't completely overhauling the Explorer from the ground up also indicate that the previous generation wasn't very good?

The first one reminds me of that Youtube clip a few years back made by some Toyota dealership, attempting to say the Tundra was better than the F-150, Ram and Silverado. Some thing, hook a chain to both of their rear bumpers, and pull. The funny thing is, just like in this clip, it doesn't appear that the competition has the AWD engaged, as well as appearing that the driver of the competition isn't really trying very hard to win. Both come off looking desperate and cheap. And really, does the Government funded Dodge want to go head to head with the non Government funded Ford?

I like both vehicles, but I hate the way manufacturers go after one another in commercials. Sell me on why your product is better, not on why you think the other is worse. I hated when Ford would compare their quality to Toyota or Honda in commercials. Don't even mention those names. Just talk about how great the new Focus / Taurus / etc is

doesn't completely overhauling the Explorer from the ground up also indicate that the previous generation wasn't very good?

"New and improved" has been a new car selling point for 100 years. Henry Ford may have thought the Model T was 'good enough' for a while, but GM invented 'annual change' and clobbered it.

So, the idea that an older car is 'dated' is a common industry tactic to sell.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

And if you are only pointing to sales stats to claim best in class status you are loosing.

But sales are not the Explorer's only positive trait. It has great fuel economy, good packaging, a good AWD setup, excellent features, competitive pricing, etc. Simply put, it's not the McDonald's cheeseburger of the cheeseburger world.

The Explorer is a solid product, but Chrysler really upped their game with the Durango/JGC. It's no surprise that Maserati wants to use this chassis for their SUV, it is as good as it gets for an SUV.

Um isn't the JGC and Durango actually built of a Mercedes platform from when they used to be DamierChrysler?

Explorer is a cheapened Lincoln MKT, so what is the advantage? Why get the cheapo one when Lincoln is a better name?

It is like Ford in the 90's, stripped versions of Lincoln cars.

Goes to show you can say that about most mainstream vehicles these days.

When vehicles share a platform and one is less expensive, "cheapened" is a poor choice of words.

The only reason "some" people are goo-goo over the new Durango, is only because the previous one is so bad, that this one looks stellar in everyway.

As the same could be said with the 02-10 Explorer. Like the last gen Durango, the 02-10 Explorer was a hit out of the gates. But as people found out it was a horrible, cheap and fairly unreliable product, they abandoned it. We've owned one, and know my fair share of people who vowed never to own an Explorer again due to the Gen III's issues.

etc...etc...

edit: F-Series really is the best in class but not simply because of sales stats. :D

Wow, someone gets it. Too many times people only want to talk about sales. Then again, GM used to sell the most cars, and look where that got them.

Durango is a cheapened Jeep GC, so what is the advantage? Why get the cheapo one when Jeep is a better name?

It is like Plymouth in the 90's, stripped versions of Dodge cars.

Durango seats up to 7, GC only 5. Personally, I'd take the GC and Durango over the Explorer, and I'm no Dodge fan, and actually have started converting my father-in-law to Ford (Mopar guy). I just think the GC & Durango are better products for my needs/likes more so than the Explorer. But to each their own.

But sales are not the Explorer's only positive trait. It has great fuel economy, good packaging, a good AWD setup, excellent features, competitive pricing, etc. Simply put, it's not the McDonald's cheeseburger of the cheeseburger world.

GC & Durango have a good package, good AWD/4WD systems, nice features, comparable pricing too...and on.

The main advantage of the Explorer over the Durango/GC, is the fuel economy, and maybe MFT, if you want it. Otherwise, better tower goes to the Durango and better off-road rig goes to the GC. Each made slightly different to appeal to different, and at times, the same crowd.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 3

Um isn't the JGC and Durango actually built of a Mercedes platform from when they used to be DamierChrysler?

Well, you're right to a point. The underpinnings of both the Durango and Grand Cherokee are shared with the ML-Class, and they were developed under the merger, but this isn't the old platform. It's a brand new one that underpins the just released version of the ML and the upcoming new GL-Class Benzes. The Mopar twins were to market first. That's why they've gotten such great reviews for their ride and handling, etc.

IMO, they really are on even keel with the Explorer. There's been enough comparison test victories by the Dodge to prove that they're worthy competition. I've said on here before that if it were my money, the Durango would get the nod due to it's RWD/V-8 layout.

• 2 weeks later...

Good call using Dexter as the voiceover for this type of marketing strategy. He fits the role really well. It all comes down to the product itself, if the Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee beat out the Explorer it's because the product is better, not because of commercials. The new Jeep and Durango really are killer trucks so I give them credit where its due. Haven't seen the new Explorer in person so I don't know how it compares.

etc...etc...

Comparing sales is for fools, you can have the sales crown and still go bankrupt.... Just like the most capable is not necessarily the best either,

other things like fuel economy, space efficiency and interior/controls all play a part. Things like long term reliability, manufacturer warranty history

and dealership relationship are all factors that should affect purchasing decisions.

If Explorer meets the expectations of its buyers, then they will considered it to the best product for them and that's all that really matters...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Comparing sales is for fools, you can have the sales crown and still go bankrupt.... Just like the most capable is not necessarily the best either,

other things like fuel economy, space efficiency and interior/controls all play a part. Things like long term reliability, manufacturer warranty history

and dealership relationship are all factors that should affect purchasing decisions.

If Explorer meets the expectations of its buyers, then they will considered it to the best product for them and that's all that really matters...

Amen!

etc...etc...

Let me elaborate more on my post about sales: If it sells, then it's meeting customer expectations. It's the "best" for them. You can claim it doesn't do this or that but in the end, the votes are cast with dollars by actual buyers. If you think that doesn't matter then you are the one who is losing.

And when I say customers I mean those that actually buy the product and not the ones that just complain about it on the internet.

Let me elaborate more on my post about sales: If it sells, then it's meeting customer expectations. It's the "best" for them. You can claim it doesn't do this or that but in the end, the votes are cast with dollars by actual buyers. If you think that doesn't matter then you are the one who is losing.

And when I say customers I mean those that actually buy the product and not the ones that just complain about it on the internet.

In the absolute purest sense, that's true.

But the Camry is still the best selling sedan..........and IMHO it's crap. Virtually any other sedan in that market is better.

• Like 1

But the Camry is still the best selling sedan..........and IMHO it's crap. Virtually any other sedan in that market is better.

Better only matters if it's better in ways that the potential buyer cares about. Most Camry buyers just want a comfortable dependable appliance that gets them from A to B.

Perception usually outlasts reality. Recent sales have indicated that their grasp on the midsize market is slipping. We've seen it in the past as class leaders have gotten outclassed by competitors. They didn't fall from grace immediately, but they did fall. Look at the Taurus and Explorer in the 90's. Neither of them were anywhere close to class-leading by the time they finally lost their sales leads.