UAW readies Ford strike approval: WSJ

Saw this on the news ticker when I was checking the value of my poor Ford stock,

UAW readies Ford strike approval: WSJ

3:04p ET August 17, 2011 (MarketWatch)

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- United Auto Workers President Bob King, in a in a move aimed at ratcheting up pressure on Ford Motor Co. to reach a new labor contract before the current one expires, asked local unions representing Ford workers to hold a "strike authorization" vote by Sept. 2, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday. The Journal, citing sources familiar with the matter, said King made the request during a meeting Tuesday in Chicago with about 150 union officials. Securing union members' approval to strike is typically a step in the negotiating process and does not mean a strike will be called. The UAW's current labor contract with Ford expires Sept. 14. Ford shares were last trading down 1.6% at $11.05.

Damn Unions.

• Like 1

I've been waiting for something like this to pop up....It's standard procedure before EVERY contract for the UAW to put a strike vote to the membership. Gotta love how something that happens every 3-4 years gets people SOOO pissed and they cant wait to post how they hate the unions or how its going to make the stock price go down. What goes around comes around and its the same BS every time. You know, I've left a few auto forums because the people thought SO little of the people that build the vehicles they drive. I get real tired of having to defend MY life choice to people every 3-4 years.

This pic is going to get a lot of use....again.

aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again.jpg

Edited by DearbornDerek
  • Like 1

UAW's King says entry-level wages, supplier health are key bargaining issues. DETROIT -- UAW President Bob King said today that the union is negotiating with the Detroit 3 for higher entry-level wages and to improve the health of parts suppliers.

In an interview with Automotive News, King said the $14 an hour wage paid most entry-level workers at the Detroit 3 is not "a livable wage." A $14-an-hour wage equates to $29,120 annually or about $7,000 over the federal poverty guidelines for a family of four.

King said a profitable Detroit 3 can afford to pay those workers better or risk losing them to other jobs if they don't see improvement. He declined to give a target.

"We've got to raise those wages so workers will want to stay and workers can support their families by working full-time in the auto industry," said King, who made his comments following a labor panel hosted by the Rev. Wendell Anthony, the Detroit NAACP chief.

This week, King called for a routine strike authorization by Ford rank-and-file. Ford workers are the only ones of the Detroit 3 who can strike because they refused concessions in 2009 calling for a no-strike clause. Chrysler and General Motors hourly workers made the concessions just before the carmakers entered Chapter 11 reorganization.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1Vh2oC3QU

I wonder what other jobs are available for workers exiting the industry, times are tough at the moment.

King said a profitable Detroit 3 can afford to pay those workers better or risk losing them to other jobs if they don't see improvement.

Isn't the fact that they're taking these $14/hr jobs proof that they aren't losing them to other jobs?

If the pay was too low for the market then nobody would take the jobs or they would leave.

At least this way the market can set the rate rather than an artificial contract.

I think the union needs to work to protect existing workers as much as possible (keep current wages plus COLA, small health care co-pays, profit sharing bonuses, great severance packages, early retirement incentives) while giving the company the flexibility it needs to hire in new employees for much less.

Of course the union sees this would weaken its position as more and more tier 2 employees replace the tier 1 employees who retire or leave the company. But I don't see any other resolution - tier 2 is here to stay or the company will take everything overseas.

• Like 2

It tells me something is wrong with the entire system when a group (either the union or the company) has to make posturing moves like this that frequently, no matter how "routine" it may be to you.

Exactly. There is no reason they can't do a 5-7 yr contract with opt out clauses except the negotiators on both sides would have nothing to do.

So...if Ford's shareholders voted for a "enjoy your Circle K careers" movement in response, it'd just be biz as usual, right? No hard feelings or tensions?

As unions have added cost and stupidity to different careers I've held in my life, I don't need these updates to see them as obsolete and somewhat thuggish organizations.

• Like 1

I find it interesting and humorous to see how many (not all) of the "Senior" workers view the wages and benefits of the 2nd tier employees .

They treat the 2nd tier workers in the same manner as they accuse the company treats them. The Senior union wants to take more from the company and give less to their 2nd tier "brothers".

Everybody should sacrifice more to bring in more jobs... except them.

Edited by mettech
  • Like 1

In City government, its usually the fire fighters union that decide to have dinner with commissioners to butter them up pre-negotiations. They didnt know what to do when I made a general statement of, "I never meet up with employees to discuss their jobs, we have a city manager for that" then quickly enacted a policy of conduct over such issues. And Yes I agree, every other year it's the "OH this s--t again"... :ohsnap:

So is the next step Ford "discussing", to allocate a new vehicle to Mexico, then the union will say "Well if you build it here, we wont strike" then Ford says, "Ok we'll give it to such and such plant here", and then the UAW thinks they accomplished something?

Regardless of "posturing" or "it's the way we've always done it", I think it's becoming unfashionable to play it in the public arena.

People are just as sick of politics whether it's in Washington or Dearborn.

Exactly! It seems like the idea of looking good is more important than actually addressing the issues.

• Like 1

Can you believe these idiot union jerks. Ford was on the brink of bankruptcy but borrows to save the company...which includes the jobs, pensions, insurance and future of the union workers...and what does Ford get in return......They want more, more, more and they will strike to get it. Complete idiots. There is no need for unions anywhere. The Ford salary workers have no union and are doing a great job. Now the union is going after them since they feel the salary people didn't suffer enough during the market downturn. Last time I checked the union gets COLA, sick day pay, shift premiums, much better medical and better pensions than the salary gang. Damn unions! They will go down as a crippling force of Ford. I WISH THEY COULD ONLY USE ROBOTS AND REPLACE THESE MONEY HUNGRY LEACHES!

The foreign competitors have no unions and they are getting by just fine.

• Like 2

Can you believe these idiot union jerks. Ford was on the brink of bankruptcy but borrows to save the company...which includes the jobs, pensions, insurance and future of the union workers...and what does Ford get in return......They want more, more, more and they will strike to get it. Complete idiots. There is no need for unions anywhere. The Ford salary workers have no union and are doing a great job. Now the union is going after them since they feel the salary people didn't suffer enough during the market downturn. Last time I checked the union gets COLA, sick day pay, shift premiums, much better medical and better pensions than the salary gang. Damn unions! They will go down as a crippling force of Ford. I WISH THEY COULD ONLY USE ROBOTS AND REPLACE THESE MONEY HUNGRY LEACHES!

The foreign competitors have no unions and they are getting by just fine.

We appreciate the enthusiasm, but try to tone down the name calling. It really doesn't accomplish anything this debate.

OK...OK....I'm toning down the references. I do want to add one more important point...The union should consider the fact they are asking for more money and benefits from a company that still OWES over $16 BILLION DOLLARS!!! If FORD was profitable I would think differently, however, considering the state of both Ford and the economy....the union should reconsider their demands.

• Like 1

OK...OK....I'm toning down the references. I do want to add one more important point...The union should consider the fact they are asking for more money and benefits from a company that still OWES over $16 BILLION DOLLARS!!! If FORD was profitable I would think differently, however, considering the state of both Ford and the economy....the union should reconsider their demands.

Also be aware that last year, Ford had a $20 billion turn around with approx. $6 billion profit and $14 billion paid off debt.

All of which occurred in an indifferent year for sales due to the depressed economy.

the UAW sees this and asks why shouldn't Ford give back some of its new found wealth to the people on the shop floor...

Ford is absolutely powering along, I hope an equitable agreement is reached to allow continued stability in manufacturing,

it would be a shame if all the hard work and cost savings are undone by unreasonable expectations on both sides of the table..

Edited by jpd80