Ford Explorer vs Toyota Highlander

bklynege

Hello All,

I frequently visit this forum for my car info, so thanks for keeping me well versed.

My wife and I are shopping for a new car and have narrowed it down to two options, the 2012 Explorer Limited and the Toyota Highlander. They're both very nicely equipped but the Toyota is actually a little less expensive because a neighbor works in the local service department and can offer a dealer discount.

How do you think these will fare in the long run, I don't change cars very often, we're currently selling our 1999 GMC for this new car.

Your thoughts and opinions are all appreciated.

Thanks!

There are a lot of naysayers here on the Explorer but I happen to love the truck. I think its well appointed inside, it looks great and generally delivers on what it was intended to completely well. I also feel Toyota products in general are without soul and lack anything but blandness which the Highlander has in spades.

You know where this is going. I'm not the only one, the Explorer is having a record year topping the 100K units out the door so far.

• Like 1

Hello All,

I frequently visit this forum for my car info, so thanks for keeping me well versed.

My wife and I are shopping for a new car and have narrowed it down to two options, the 2012 Explorer Limited and the Toyota Highlander. They're both very nicely equipped but the Toyota is actually a little less expensive because a neighbor works in the local service department and can offer a dealer discount.

How do you think these will fare in the long run, I don't change cars very often, we're currently selling our 1999 GMC for this new car.

Thanks!

When I recently purchased an Explorer we narrowed it down to the Highlander, Explorer, and CX9. The Highlander is a good vehicle as is the CX9. However what ultimately sold me on the Explorer was its price and high level on content. Also if you plan to use the third row often I would definitely suggest the Explorer over the Highlander, it has a much more usable third row. I don't know how important gas mileage is in your purchase but I have been averaging around 22-23 mpg in mixed driving. Over Thanksgiving we eeked the gas mileage up to 27.3 mpg (was mainly hwy and interstate driving) which is mighty impressive for something of this size.

Hello All,

Thanks!

While you're obviously going to get an Explorer-skewed view here (it's not "SilverTNews.com, after all), the Explorer definitely wins this one on its own merits. The Explorer, to me at least, feels like a vehicle that should be on sale in 2011. The Highlander felt very dated to me, both in ride and interior quality.

Although, if it were me buying in this segment, I'd be putting down cash for a 2013 Flex with EcoBoost. Meeoww!

2013-Ford-Flex%25255B2%25255D.jpg

The weakest aspect of the Highlander is its lack of an adult-usable third-row seat. The Explorer can carry seven passengers plus cargo; the Highlander cannot. I've also seen a lot of negative reviews about the Explorer's steering and handling, but I found it to be much better than the Highlander's in my own experience.

The Highlander, though, has a better-designed control interface and -- as you've already noted -- a lower price. And because cars tend to have glitches worked out over the run of their lives, you may get better luck with the older Highlander than the fairly new and tech-heavy Explorer. (It's always nearly impossible to predict how a car will hold up for 13 years, though, but most will do just fine.) If you don't need that third-row room, those are the major pros and cons you can weigh; if you do, you've essentially narrowed it down to the Ford.

I'd be interested to hear about how you eliminated some of the other choices, though. I'm partial to the Mazda CX-9, which is roomy, nice to drive and a great buy, combining those main Highlander and Explorer strengths.

Here's a writeup I did of eight models, if it helps:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-ranking-summary

Edited by DC Car Examiner
  • Like 1

The weakest aspect of the Highlander is its lack of an adult-usable third-row seat. The Explorer can carry seven passengers plus cargo; the Highlander cannot. I've also seen a lot of negative reviews about the Explorer's steering and handling, but I found it to be much better than the Highlander's in my own experience.

The Highlander, though, has a better-designed control interface and -- as you've already noted -- a lower price. And because cars tend to have glitches worked out over the run of their lives, you may get better luck with the older Highlander than the fairly new and tech-heavy Explorer. (It's always nearly impossible to predict how a car will hold up for 13 years, though, but most will do just fine.) If you don't need that third-row room, those are the major pros and cons you can weigh; if you do, you've essentially narrowed it down to the Ford.

I'd be interested to hear about how you eliminated some of the other choices, though. I'm partial to the Mazda CX-9, which is roomy, nice to drive and a great buy, combining those main Highlander and Explorer strengths.

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-ranking-summary

interestingly enough DC, I just ordered a vehicle for a VERY picky customer of mine that researches EVERY crevice and vehicle in its class before he makes a decision. He wanted someting along the Explorer line with 7 pass capability, ruled out the highlander ( hated the looks amoungst other things ) and LOATHED the CX-9, said it drove rough ( firmer sprung??? ) and had WAy too much road noise, interestingly though, he ordered a..............................Flex Limited........prefered the space utilization over the Explorer..... :shades:

• Like 1

From a reliability perspective, the Highlander has a much better initial record than the Explorer (per J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, and TrueDelta assessments).

From the standpoint of a driving enthusiast, the Highlander and Explorer are both among the most insipid new vehicles available for sale. Such a person will probably become weary owning either one for a long period of time because their driving dynamics are so :boring:.

Although, if it were me buying in this segment, I'd be putting down cash for a 2013 Flex with EcoBoost. Meeoww!

That's one my of my favorites too! Oddly, the Flex Ecoboost went from having close to best in class reliability ratings in Consumer Reports' 2010 survey to near worst in class in 2011. Weird... :headscratch:

Whatever you end up choosing, best wishes in your automotive comparisons and shopping bklynege! :)

Edited by aneekr

From a reliability perspective, the Highlander has a much better initial record than the Explorer (per J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, and TrueDelta assessments).

From the standpoint of a driving enthusiast, the Highlander and Explorer are both among the most insipid new vehicles available for sale. Such a person will probably become weary owning either one for a long period of time because their driving dynamics are so :boring:.

That's one my of my favorites too! Oddly, the Flex Ecoboost went from having close to best in class reliability ratings in Consumer Reports' 2010 survey to near worst in class in 2011. Weird... :headscratch:

Whatever you end up choosing, best wishes in your automotive comparisons and shopping bklynege! :)

realize that THOSE so called reliability ratings on the Explorer have been adversely effected by the notious MFT...NOTHING mechanical, which in my opinion is kind of like getting voted down due to bad Radio reception....FWIW the Flex is based on the same drivetrains ( barring eco ) chassis and trans...it just has a more user friendly interface

realize that THOSE so called reliability ratings on the Explorer have been adversely effected by the notious MFT...NOTHING mechanical, which in my opinion is kind of like getting voted down due to bad Radio reception....FWIW the Flex is based on the same drivetrains ( barring eco ) chassis and trans...it just has a more user friendly interface

Don't forget the rattling A pillar problem on the new Explorer. Those who complain about it say it starts up at about 3,000 mile mark. I know it would annoy the hell out of me. My 2002 Taurus is still rattle free after 9 MI pot hole winters. I would hope that Ford has remedied that problem, but who knows. Probably make sure you know build date of your Explorer before buying it.

Don't forget the rattling A pillar problem on the new Explorer. Those who complain about it say it starts up at about 3,000 mile mark. I know it would annoy the hell out of me. My 2002 Taurus is still rattle free after 9 MI pot hole winters. I would hope that Ford has remedied that problem, but who knows. Probably make sure you know build date of your Explorer before buying it.

I have a new rattle that has popped up on my Edge that I haven't been able to isolate yet. It's coming from somewhere on the passenger side, so I can't really specify any closer from the driver's seat. Need to get some help from a passenger one of these days. It almost sounds like the noise you get when you pull one of those spring door stoppers and let it go: B-b-b-b-b-r-r-r-r-r-ring. Hopefully it's just something loose on the interior. It's not particularly loud, but it's there.

Hello All,

Thanks!

My wife totalled her 2004 Highlander last December. Not that it's necessarily a direct comparison, my biggest disappointment with the Highlander was the trim and switchgear.

They were cheaply made, and didn't hold up. I personally fixed (re-soldered) the Hot/Cold temp dial because the surface it was mounted to was so flexible that the wires behind it would bend back and forth enough to ultimately break. Toyota wanted $585 for the HVAC control unit. Other issues were mostly loose trim, and some premature wear on various surfaces. Perhaps the new ones are better now? I don't know. Mechanically, it was flawless in ~140K miles.

We purchased a 2011 Santa Fe last January. Significantly less expensive, and quieter and wider than the Highlander. About the same 2nd row leg room, but much larger cargo area. She has the 4 cylinder and gets about 22 city/29 highway.

Loved the Flex, but a bit too expensive. Explorers available at the time were all too high end, and couldn't afford. Didn't have more time to order a lesser-equipped Explorer.

If you are drifting toward the Highlander, just be sure to look at the trim and swiches. Just my $0.02.

Edited by RangerM

Yeah, what DC said and –

If you buy the Ford, you will be driving an American car, from an American company that has been a part of American history, and employs far more Americans than the Japanese company that assembles the Japanese car from parts sent here from Japan or made here by other Japanese companies with much of their profits going back to Japan at a time when America really needs Americans to believe in, and invest in our OWN future for the good of everyone.

This is the most important thing to consider when comparing these two vehicles.

• Like 4

.......Japanese car from parts sent here from Japan or made here by other Japanese companies with much of their profits going back to Japan....

With the exchange rate the way it is, Toyota wants to keep those profits in America. They don't automatically go back to Japan.

• Like 2

Yeah, what DC said and –

If you buy the Ford, you will be driving an American car, from an American company that has been a part of American history, and employs far more Americans than the Japanese company that assembles the Japanese car from parts sent here from Japan or made here by other Japanese companies with much of their profits going back to Japan at a time when America really needs Americans to believe in, and invest in our OWN future for the good of everyone.

What you said just remind me an interesting thing happened after Thanksgiving. I worked in Ann Arbor, MI. One of my colleagues is an Asian guy. He always drives my Ford fusion to buy dry ice for our department. Reason? My fusion has much bigger trunk than his civic. So it was last week, he routinely drove my Fusion to our local dairy store to buy dry ice. After the owner helped him to move the dry ice to the trunk of my fusion, he said to my colleague "I want to give you a box of fresh made donuts", My colleague asked him why? The owner said "Happy holiday and thanks for buying an American car". My colleague came back, gave everyone the donuts and told us the story. Finally he said "I hate this race discrimination." Everyone looked at him and shocked. I just don't understand how he could understand this as a "race discrimination."

The bad thing is that now I have to pickup the dry ice by myself.

Edited by weiweishen

Thanks for all the input. Its certainly welcome!

While I agree with most written above, except I do prefer the Explorer to the Fusion, I can't ignore the fact that money is money.

I'm currently hoping to find an xplan pin that would make the explorer a little less expensive.

Thanks!!

I may have customer with that A pillar issue, but I will say that I find it hard to grasp that a rattle has anything to do with "reliability"..... :shades:

My Explorer has almost 5k trouble/rattle free miles on it already. I have to say that in all of those miles the MFT has only acted up once too. I believe the A Pillar problem has been addressed in the 2012 models too.

Edited by stpatrick90

"I want to give you a box of fresh made donuts", My colleague asked him why? The owner said "Happy holiday and thanks for buying an American car". My colleague came back, gave everyone the donuts and told us the story. Finally he said "I hate this race discrimination." Everyone looked at him and shocked. I just don't understand how he could understand this as a "race discrimination."

Because if he wasn't Asian-looking nobody would have said/noticed anything about him driving an 'American' car. Being singled out for your background even if it's sort of a compliment is still discrimination. I'll bet the donut guy doesn't give free donuts to all Ford drivers, but it's a nice thought!

This is like congratulating someone on their English ability when it's the only language they speak.

Yeah, what DC said and –

If this is the best argument, the American manufacturers are in trouble. Witness the recent rise of Hyundai, and the past history of Toyota and Honda.

Not saying you are wrong. Just saying this argument isn't relevant to the car buying public.

• Like 1

If this is the best argument, the American manufacturers are in trouble. Witness the recent rise of Hyundai, and the past history of Toyota and Honda.

Not saying you are wrong. Just saying this argument isn't relevant to the car buying public.

Exactly. The appeal to jingoism is just not relevant to the vast majority of new car shoppers in the U.S., nor should it be.

What you said just remind me an interesting thing happened after Thanksgiving. I worked in Ann Arbor, MI. One of my colleagues is an Asian guy. He always drives my Ford fusion to buy dry ice for our department. Reason? My fusion has much bigger trunk than his civic. So it was last week, he routinely drove my Fusion to our local dairy store to buy dry ice. After the owner helped him to move the dry ice to the trunk of my fusion, he said to my colleague "I want to give you a box of fresh made donuts", My colleague asked him why? The owner said "Happy holiday and thanks for buying an American car". My colleague came back, gave everyone the donuts and told us the story. Finally he said "I hate this race discrimination." Everyone looked at him and shocked. I just don't understand how he could understand this as a "race discrimination."

The bad thing is that now I have to pickup the dry ice by myself.

mmmm....doughnuts.....

• Like 1

Exactly. The appeal to jingoism is just not relevant to the vast majority of new car shoppers in the U.S., nor should it be.

That Japan is guilty of this means nothing?

Or Korea? It's a two way street, but nothing is going there from here!

It doesn't matter to most US consumers. That is true.

Teddy Roosevelt said:

"There is much talk about 'jingoism'. If by 'jingoism' they mean a policy in pursuance of which Americans will with resolution and common sense insist upon our rights being respected by foreign powers, then we are 'jingoes'."

Xenophobia is something different. An irrational fear of people and their cultures. That is a cultural bigotry IMHO. I still wouldn't call it racism though. And, again, the Japanese are more xenophobic than the US is.

Anyway, I also love the Flex. It's just cool to me

I'd pick the Explore over the Highlander too..........on it's own merits.

You really can't go wrong either way. both will last you a long time and be good highway cruisers. my sister-in-law has an 06 or 07 highlander and it has been reliable. the materials are pretty cheap inside though. i know the new model has better materials but not quite as good as the explorer.

for me the terrain management system on the explorer would give it the edge.

Edited by blazerdude20

I agree that it is not relevant (one of the reasons our country is in the shape it is in), but I strongly say it certainly should be.

For example: The USA spends billions to defend South Korea from North Korea while the South Korean government subsidizes its companies (Hyundai, LG, Samsung) to come to the US to and put American companies out of business. Just ask someone who used to work for Maytag. Enjoy your LG washing machine while we go broke as a nation.

Our government is bought off and can do nothing to stop this, only American consumers can stop this. If we don't we will be owned by foreign corporations. Why is this important? Because foreign countries and corporations will not respect the US Constitution. If they cared, they would have a constitution like ours for themselves.

You may disagree, and even strongly disagree. But please, no name calling. I have an education, business experience, and I am well read on these topics. Many very smart people believe the same thing I do.

While we are quoting great Americans with thier faces carved into mountains; I assure you from my reading that Thomas Jefferson and many other founding fathers would be appalled by the current distructive trade policies of modern America.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 4