2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

The next-generation Fusion 1.6-liter is the first automatic-transmission Ford product offered with an automatic start stop system. It shuts off engine power smoothly when the car is stopped and seamlessly restarts as the driver releases the brake pedal, helping Fusion to reduce fuel consumption and emissions by approximately 3.5 percent.

Styling aspects alone:

Front: Has an Aston Martinish grille with Evo headlamps. Not feeling the hood so much. Like the small creases in the center of the hood, but really not liking the creases/bulges on the outside of the hood. Reminds me too much of the Sonata hood, which I'm not a fan of. Overall the front is very desirable, with the exception of the overdone hood.

Rear: All I can say is, bleck! Compared to the front, the rear is very bland and doesn't appear much, if any real thought was put into the design. Heck, those tail lamps even look like they were stolen from a Fiesta sedan. Only design aspect I do like from the rear are the exhaust tips, but even those appear to vary depending on the model.

Profile: It's an okay design, not great nor bad. I've seen similar greenhouse designs on the road, but something about the execution of this greenhouse isn't nearly as appealing as I've seen on other cars with similar design elements. I'm thinking of a Lexus and Buick (not sure the models) that I think better execute this design. Those little windows up front, as well as the mirror design and location just don't look right.

Interior: Interior quality appears to be improved over the outgoing model. Dislike the gauges though, which I dislike on the Explorer and Edge and the other Ford models that have this setup. While others like the digital gauges and what not, I just do not find them appealing. The overall dash design and flow through center console looks nice, but wonder how it (flow through console) may intrude on passengers. I dislike the cramped nature the center console in my father-in-laws 2010 Taurus has on passengers. I still dislike the Sony head-unit. Also in this image below, are those the door lock and window switches on the door panels? They appear to be up/down arrows and look made of cheap grey plastic, something you'd find in a Chevy product in my mind. I really dislike those switches, they look cheesy in my opinion.

Overall it's a decent looking car, but not one that would truly appeal to me. It could garner much attention due to the fuel economy figures, but I was hoping for a little more power (which may come later). So to me, the front and interior are nice, profile is okay and rear is dreadful.

post-12355-0-64006300-1326149300_thumb.jpg

I think they are walking a fine line, the Focus st make 250hp, the Fusion is spec'd to use 87 octane , not premium, this could be an easy additional 15hp.

Once the car is out, someone will strap it on a dyno and we'll find out if 237 hp is for reals or understated. I'm going with understated based on how well Edge 2.0 and Range Rover Evoque perform with the same engine and transmission.

Just for reference (which I posted earlier in the thread), Hyundai Sonata with claimed 274 hp takes 7 second to go from 0 to 60 mph. Part of the slowness is due to Sonata's tragically poor tires but that gives you a good indication how understated Ford's 2.0 Ecoboost is because Range Rover Evoque with the same 2.0 (@ stated 240hp) can pull off 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. I have no doubt Fusion 2.0 will beat that time.

My conclusions?

I'm disappointed in the fallback in available power...hardly mysterious.

I'm disappointed by the loss of cylinders, because -and let's face it- we've had 4 cylinder engines "with the power and economy of V6/V8 engines!" since Ford offered the 2.3 in everything, GM likewise had the 2.0/2.5 in everything, and you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a Chrysler with a 2.2/2.6 chugging pitifully away. Some of us like deeper engine notes, more torque off idle, and a less coarse overall experience. Can anyone even fathom the number of driving impressions in road tests talking about tiny engines "laboring", "wheezing", and seeming overworked while also less refined?

In my 20+ years of driving, I'm very familiar with these situations. I don't deny for a second that the typical owners will likely be thrilled, and I've said at least twice I'm sure I'll like the car in person more than I'm liking the pics thus far...but my most likely purchase would be the "incoming ST", of which there is nothing but hope/speculation, so the current information lacks the info on "my preferred Fusion" just as its engine bay lacks the power to compete with top-end Sonatas, Camrys, Accords, Optimas, and 6s. I'm seeing less as less, and as far as I'm concerned, that makes the most sense.

One thing I still don't understand that I've said many times over the years: why so many pics from "the ant's view"? Our actual viewpoint is obviously feet higher up....?

Yeah, but your conclusions insofar as I can understand them, are insupportable.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, it also changes the entire perspective on the car, making things that are normal size and understated from a normal perspective, seem huge, distorted, and out of proportion.

It is a double edged sword.

The glass is half full crowd looks past the distortion, to the whole picture, while the glass is half empty crowd grasps onto the distortion as if it is the only reality.

Edited by Extreme4x4
  • Like 2

The glass is half full crowd looks past the distortion, to the whole picture, while the glass is half empty GMI crowd grasps onto the distortion as if it is the only reality.

Fixed that for you, Gloria.

I've been watching that hornet's nest thread over there since this pic leaked. I haven't had the patience to jump in. I see you have, and admirably, I might add. :beerchug:

• Like 1

I have been more than willing to be critical when I've thought that Ford product decisions and designs were, uh, dubious. This car appears to be an out-of-the-park grand slam, though. It should be a huge hit in a big and growing market segment. It is very attractive and mostly original. There is a little Aston Martin in the grille and a little of the last generation Probe is somewhere in there, too. In the context of today's designs, though, this is far more original than the rest of the players (notice how much Audi Avus is in the new NSX). It sounds like the passenger space and ingress/egress is improved despite the swoopy roof-line. I don't see the lack of a V6 being a problem. The 2.0 liter Eco-tech will deliver all of the stonkinness that this class of car could possibly need. In a couple of years the 2.7L V6 Eco-tech could provide for a mid-life excitement infusion under the SHO label (FWD stonkinness X 2). I hope that quality at launch is good and that this far outsells the competition from Toyota, Honda, Hyundai and GM. It has a good chance of doing that. I also hope that this makes enough profit to pay for the development of a RWD platform for those impractical ones of us which want something different. Job well done.

If my manner of presenting information offends, I'm sorry.

However, I have trouble with statements like "have to buy a performance model for a bit more performance":

Well if that offends ya tough,

No matter how much performance is available (in this case, I'd expect sub 6.5 second 0-60, possibly close to 6.0, factoring in better tires and suspension, etc.), you can always say, "I want more", and then insist that the additional performance should not be in the form of a performance model.

Do you see what I'm saying?

Im looking at core hp numbers, while competiors is offering 270+hp on thier performance engines without actually having a wiz-bang (and expensive) performance model while the EB is only at 237, as i said before if the 2.0 is giving the performance of an uplevel engine in the 270hp range i stand corrected and if Ford is already giving a choice of a mid level performance option that means Ford is stupid to you, right?.

You are saying that you *want* something, but trying to phrase it as though it's a logically defensible assertion. If you want it to be defensible, you can't just say you want "more".

Ok random guy on the internet.

--

Furthermore, the Taurus SHO isn't just an EB 3.5 dropped in a Taurus anymore than the original SHO was just a Yamaha V6 dropped in a conventional Taurus. It showed up about a year-year and a half after production and featured upgrades to almost every bit of the car that connects it to the road.

But its not logical because its an large and awd........ :doh:

Edited by Fgts
  • Like 2

Yes, the interior is AWESOME!!!!

The outside looks Euro, the inside looks NA. Even has the latest Explorer-based Switchgear. God I wish the Escape did this.

This is the best Midsizer, hands down, bar-none...nobody gets close to it. And it's COTY for 2012, no doubt there.

they are using alot of C2 interior bits

the headlamp switch, signal stalks, shifter, power door-locks, and most of the behind the scenes electronics are from C2

Fixed that for you, Gloria.

I've been watching that hornet's nest thread over there since this pic leaked. I haven't had the patience to jump in. I see you have, and admirably, I might add. :beerchug:

Why thank you (blushing), but I didn't think I had done much.

I will take the beer, however. LOL

Ok random guy on the internet.

Wait. What?

1 - I'm aware that, at times, I am too contemptuous of poorly thought out posts on this forum. However, I make no apologies whatsoever for setting a high standard regarding the quality of arguments presented on this forum.

By setting a high standard for rational thought and generally holding myself to it, I believe that this forum provides a better understanding of how the automotive industry works from the dealership level up to the executive offices than any similar forum. I believe one can learn more about how the industry works from this forum than from any other brand/company specific forum out there.

And, contrary to popular opinion, this site does not promote fanboyisms.

Why?

Because Nick, Robert and I do NOT ban users that are critical of Ford's decisions. This is not an echo chamber for Ford fans. If it were, you Boss444, and a few other users would be summarily banned.

What you will find here are well reasoned arguments that support Ford's decisions, you will also find well reasoned arguments that oppose Ford's decisions.

However, you cannot engage in sloppy rhetoric or sloppy reasoning without being taken to task for it.

2 - This is a marketplace for ideas.

Your ideas, once posted here, no longer belong to you alone; they are fair game for one and all. Do not make the mistake of taking criticism of your posts personally.

---

It is not in my nature to talk up what BON is, but I am convinced that it is one of the better automotive forums as it relates to understanding how this industry works.

Let me say that I'm a bit amused by all the bemoaning of first no V6 option and second the lack of a performance model right away.... First off as someone that drives an older generation low-pressure torque-biased turbo I can say it produces power at a lower rpm with less stress than most small V6's I've ever driven. Even so I was at first overly critical of a V8 not being in the plan for the Explorer being that it is a utility... Until I drove an EB6 Flex at which point I was sold that it’s the same even in a utility. While smaller in cubes the EB20 will perform has fast as the 30V6. And that is all that counts… Unless you are compensating for something you are lacking. As for the performance model... When has a manufacturer ever released the performance version this early on? Never... So as I tell my 1st grader... Have some patience. The time will give Ford time to perfect tuning… I have confidence the slightly delayed Fusion ST will run rings around the current Sport.

As for the styling... After a day of absorbing the various angles I like it, but interestingly not as I expected… I’m seeing something more clean and elegant than sports orientated. When viewed at ¾ view the greenhouse has a clean and flowing line that reminds me of a fastback sedan like the Mercedes CLS. And the grill and headlights along with the shoulder and high charter line enforces the flowing greenhouse. All solidified by the wedge like lower character line from the fog lights upward to the rear bumper. And finally the rear is finished nicely... Proportioned well and not fussy like bubble butt Focus (which I dislike greatly). About the only area I dislike is the lower front spoiler, which is very busy compared to the rest of the design. Kind of lost the clean elegant line there, but it probably is function/drag driving form.

Edited by Kris Kolman

Let me say that I'm a bit amused by all the bemoaning of first no V6 option and second the lack of a performance model right away.... First off as someone that drives an older generation low-pressure torque-biased turbo I can say it produces power at a lower rpm with less stress than most small V6's I've ever driven. Even so I was at first overly critical of a V8 not being in the plan for the Explorer being that it is a utility... Until I drove an EB6 Flex at which point I was sold that it’s the same even in a utility. While smaller in cubes the EB20 will perform has fast as the 30V6. And that is all that counts… Unless you are compensating for something you are lacking. As for the performance model... When has a manufacturer ever released the performance version this early on? Never... So as I tell my 1st grader... Have some patience. The time will give Ford time to perfect tuning… I have confidence the slightly delayed Fusion ST will run rings around the current Sport.

As for the styling... After a day of absorbing the various angles I like it, but interestingly not as I expected… I’m seeing something more clean and elegant than sports orientated. When viewed at ¾ view the greenhouse has a clean and flowing line that reminds me of a fastback sedan like the Mercedes CLS. And the grill and headlights along with the shoulder and high charter line enforces the flowing greenhouse. All solidified by the wedge like lower character line from the fog lights upward to the rear bumper. And finally the rear is finished nicely... Proportioned well and not fussy like bubble butt Focus (which I dislike greatly). About the only area I dislike is the lower front spoiler, which is very busy compared to the rest of the design. Kind of lost the clean elegant line there, but it probably is function/drag driving form.

The buzz here at the NAIAS is very positive for the 2013 Fusion. One top analyst at show said this morning that the new Fusion puts a knife into the new Camry. So most of the auto journalists at show from all over the world are gushing over this new Fusion. It certainly is gaining more than its fair share of accolades. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ends up being most significant new model introduced at 2012 NAIAS. After all, mid sized car segment pretty much drives most full line auto manufacturers. I don't know that anyone expected all these powertrain options plus a plug-in. As for a Fusion ST, I would expect maybe a 2.5L EB with perhaps 275hp and 0-60 times in the 5's. I doubt if you'll ever see a V6 in a Fusion again.

• Like 1