2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the front windows? Why the retro, extra framed triangular piece, a la 1970's or prior vent windows? Also notice no paddle shifters, even though the newest Taurus and MKS have switched the paddle shifters to industry standard +/- setup. I noticed also that there is a nice dark brown leather interior available. As for the debate about lack of V6 or 3.5 available, how many Fusion Sports with 3.5 were sold? Not many in my opinion!

The press release says select shift so I'm thinking they're holding off paddle shifters for the Fusion ST.

This will walk all over the current Fusion Sport. We had a Duratec 3L in the family and it doesn't pull until five grand; six cylinders suck at making torque down low.

Also, I hate the Toyota Camary... It's a real POS. That's not relevant but I feel I had to say it in light of this new Fusion.

Found "one" image of the rear cabin, amazing that the rear cabin is not a priority with 1st batch of images, but will be one of the main talking points of the reviews???

2013-Ford-Fusion-rear-seats.jpg

Yeah, nice back seat! Why would anyone buy a Taurus??? Oh yeah, for a big honkin-V6!!! LOL See now it makes even more sense. In light of all of the upgrades to the Fusion, the Taurus will still appeal to those who want even more performance and a traditional big American car experience.

Edited by hbalek

I'm pretty sure the much lighter, much better power voluptuous(as any ever used this word to describe power), '13 Fusion will be quicker.

That said, there is still a case for the Taurus which is 85"(sans the mirrors) wide and has 20 cubic feet of truck space, 4cf more than the '13 Fusion. And of course there is the SHO.

I'm pretty sure the much lighter, much better power voluptuous(as any ever used this word to describe power), '13 Fusion will be quicker.

That said, there is still a case for the Taurus which is 85"(sans the mirrors) wide and has 20 cubic feet of truck space, 4cf more than the '13 Fusion. And of course there is the SHO.

Dude your "interests" make up too much white space in every post you make... Just sayin'!

Edited by StangBang
  • Like 1

I've been thinking about this and I think I'm fine with the 2L EB replacing the 3.5L Sport model...just because who knows whats going to happen with fuel prices over the next 5 years or so and having a car that gets close to 30 MPG with AWD will be a big help if gas gets over 4 + bucks a gallon. If it performs like my GF V6 Escape does, it will do fine...and I'll still have my Mustang to drive around on the weekends if I need to feel the need for speed :P

Gotta say, looks great. Very European. Can't wait to see this in the flesh.

I'm sure it has been mentioned a hundred times, but when is this going to be on lots? My father-in-law's lease is up in June on his Altima, I'd love for him to get a gander at this. (he has his eyes set on the Sonata or another Altima right now)

Bravo!

2013-Ford-Fusion-instrument-gauges.jpg

Great looking car, just a shame the dash / IP is cut and paste from the Explorer. IMO looks odd to have a the truck dash

integrated into a car, especially such a sporty looking car. IMO this does not match up. But I am sure this is a good thing for

American taste buds.

160 MPH WoW! Seriously though what is up with the "dream-o-meters" from everyone these days? Why not have a more realistic 120 MPH with a little larger easier to read numbers or even 140 if they think people will be going over 120 on a regular basis, but 160 in a family sedan? Crazy! LOL

• Like 1

Gotta say, looks great. Very European. Can't wait to see this in the flesh.

I'm sure it has been mentioned a hundred times, but when is this going to be on lots? My father-in-law's lease is up in June on his Altima, I'd love for him to get a gander at this. (he has his eyes set on the Sonata or another Altima right now)

Bravo!

The car will appear in Ford showrooms in North America and South America later this year. Mondeo will be introduced next year in Asia and Europe.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35816

160 MPH WoW! Seriously though what is up with the "dream-o-meters" from everyone these days? Why not have a more realistic 120 MPH with a little larger easier to read numbers or even 140 if they think people will be going over 120 on a regular basis, but 160 in a family sedan? Crazy! LOL

Autobahn + Cocain = >120MPH.

Try it... works everytime...:hyper:

That pass thru bin looks neat, but also no fun to dust/clean.

I'll take more functional over easier to clean. The pass-through actually makes that space behind the console useable. That space on vehicles like my Edge is awkward to reach and seems to be there for nothing more than appearances honestly. This addresses one of my gripes about the Edge interior: no quick and easily accessible storage besides the cupholders.

Great looking car, just a shame the dash / IP is cut and paste from the Explorer. IMO looks odd to have a the truck dash

integrated into a car, especially such a sporty looking car. IMO this does not match up. But I am sure this is a good thing for

American taste buds.

Eh, it's not like the Explorer's dash is very "trucky" to begin with. It's simply an evolution of the last gen Fusion/Edge IP.

As for the exterior, I really like almost everything about it. I kinda wish the crease below the beltline was a little more subtle though. I'm glad they are finally moving to integrated tailpipes as well. Really cleans up the look of the rear fascia.

Edited by NickF1011

I haven't seen the button to open the rear trunk, I saw one button east of the shifter and cringed to think that was it since it would be in a stupid position (A la Taurus), but luckily it seems to be for the Auto Parking function. Was looking at the 'airy cubby hole" located behind the shifter, if it weren't integrated in THAT was, you would essentially have a recess with a door and really no place to put much of anything, cept maybe the cupholders, so this is probably the only solution, but I agree, a bitch to clean. I'm glad they have fixed the "PRNDL" on the IP. It didn't need to take valuable real estate vertically, and this is really the best placement for it....I guess to make space for the overly optimistic 160MPH gauge :)

I never said it is going to be slow I am just saying that competitors top it in power and in this very important and popular class they should offer a performance option. Maybe an ST will come in a year or two... maybe not. Time will tell.

It is being held back as to not steal the MKZs thunder. Richard you can argue all you want, but that is the MAIN reason there isn't a performance version available at this time. I can promise you the MKZ will have one available at launch with a more powerful engine option so saying "Well it's not ready" isn't an excuse.

It's fine to let Lincoln have an exclusive engine as long as your mainstream car can compete with other mainstream cars. If you make your customers step up to the luxury brand just to get the same thing they can from mainstream competitors that is an issue in my book.

Other then that I don't have an issue with this car. The mirrors are a little homely, but I assume that is for aerodynamics. It looks fast and sporty and it would be a great car for a more powerful engine.

Here's the thing. Any site like this or Autoblog will be filled with performance enthusiasts and car rags are filled with latent teenagers who want to drive fast and screech tires. And they believe the way they think is the only way, and if manufacturers don't follow their way of thinking, well then.....they suck.

The midsize car market in the U.S. is huge. And, although I have no data, I'm thinking that only less than 5% of that market cares at all about performance models (probably less than 1%). The lion's share of the market is populated by families who want long-term reliability and fuel economy.

The Japanese led the rush into high horsepower V6's in midsize cars. Even to the extent that Honda had to do an unplanned mid-cycle change to the Accord to jam in a V6 to combat the Camry. That was in a period when, gasp!!!!, the V6's were just topping 200 horsepower, then 230. Now we're into the high 200's.

There is a case to be made that Ford and other manufacturers (Hyundai, GM) have determined that big V6's are "so yesterday" and that the trend will be toward higher fuel economy bragging rights, not horsepower. They are betting that there is a slow but steady turn in the attitudes of the buyers who will value good fuel economy, not just from a dollars and cents standpoint, but also from an environmental standpoint. So maybe it's the Camry and Accord who are not "class competitive"?

Not to mention that Ford needs CAFE. And every V6 Fusion you sell would be CAFE negative.

Personally, I'm on board. There are not many places where I can get a thrill out of driving a car fast. When I'm on a long trip with a V6, I keep thinking I'm wasting fuel on reserve power I virtually never need. I can give a crap about horsepower bragging rights.

Edited by Austin

I have enough experience in the auto industry to know that a person who cruises around in a 2000 Sable has no idea what is and isn't a good vehicle. I have often wondered why you aren't the CEO of Ford right now since you seem to be an auto industry expert.

Ok so I will take back the "MAIN" and will just say it is one reason. There happy?

POTW!

• Like 1

Well that just sucks. Looks like you have to have a packed wallet if you want a better engine option. Ford must just think everyone is loaded or that only the rich deserve a better engine. If they are going through all the trouble of making a V6 why not offer it in a Sport or SHO version? Ford was always good about offering the same sorts of engine options in both brands and not treating their Ford customers like second class citizens. I guess that is about to change.

Oh well I guess pay up if you want a V6.

I'm sure a performance/V6-equipped model will come, perhaps in another model year.

2013+Ford+Fusion+085.JPG

This picture kinda shows it - did anyone else notice the MFT panel now has slight indentations and bumps for the different controls rather than just a flat glossy panel? Wonder if that'll help ease the complaints about not knowing what controls you're reaching for.

160 is crazy. I wonder if it can do 135?

I'm sure a performance/V6-equipped model will come, perhaps in another model year.

This picture kinda shows it - did anyone else notice the MFT panel now has slight indentations and bumps for the different controls rather than just a flat glossy panel? Wonder if that'll help ease the complaints about not knowing what controls you're reaching for.

Yes, the Sony panel is glossy black in the Edge/Explorer/Taurus...but here they've gone to matte with the 'nubs'. This is actually similar to what Lincoln is doing and to the non-Sony panels.

2013+Ford+Fusion+083.JPG

Yes, the Sony panel is glossy black in the Edge/Explorer/Taurus...but here they've gone to matte with the 'nubs'. This is actually similar to what Lincoln is doing and to the non-Sony panels.

2013+Ford+Fusion+083.JPG

Yup, I know how it is lol.....just pointing out they changed it to those who may not have noticed.

I've been thinking about this and I think I'm fine with the 2L EB replacing the 3.5L Sport model...just because who knows whats going to happen with fuel prices over the next 5 years or so and having a car that gets close to 30 MPG with AWD will be a big help if gas gets over 4 + bucks a gallon. If it performs like my GF V6 Escape does, it will do fine...and I'll still have my Mustang to drive around on the weekends if I need to feel the need for speed :P

With small displacment EB, Hybrid, and Plug-In Hybrid, that is exactly what Ford is doing....positioning itself to where it can easily meet new CAFE standards with its high volume vehicles like the Fusion and Focus. Future ST models will be very low volume so as not huring fleet averages. I notice also that the new Fusion is fairly light at 3300 pounds with manual and 3400 pounds with automatic. Personally, I like the new nose of the Fusion as I was never a fan of the present nose. Also like that Ford finally put adjustable vents behind console for back seat passengers. About time as my 2002 Taurus has them and much appreciated by back seat passengers. The only minus I can see is that standard 2.5L I4 looks to be same engine as present one with 170hp and no direct injection. I was hoping for DI and maybe 190hp with better fuel mileage.