2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

Well let's wait and see what sort of engines are available on the MKZ and then it will be clearer.

No it won't. Whatever the MKZ has or doesn't have won't tell us anything. The MKZ will most certainly get better powertrains than the Fusion but that doesn't mean the Fusion ST (top end model) can't have the same engine or same power level as the base MKZ.

There will be a Fusion ST - it's virtually guaranteed. And there is no reason for them to announce it right now. Fuel economy is way more important.

Yup, I know how it is lol.....just pointing out they changed it to those who may not have noticed.

I have been sitting in front of my laptop all morning going from one website to another to see and read all I can about this vehicle. I have two voices speaking to me, one saying "just be happy with your 2010 Fusion SEL and let it go" and another saying "screw it you only live once get yourself a Titainium AWD.

Am I the only one to notice the "blunt nose" of the car as opposed to the outgoing 2012's wedge shaped proboscis? Not taking anything away from the new styling direction, but this seems significant... :shades:

Probably has something to do with Euro crash regulations?

• Like 1

Am I the only one to notice the "blunt nose" of the car as opposed to the outgoing 2012's wedge shaped proboscis? Not taking anything away from the new styling direction, but this seems significant... :shades:

Should make parking easier because it will be easier to judge where the front of the vehicle is.

Yes, the Sony panel is glossy black in the Edge/Explorer/Taurus...but here they've gone to matte with the 'nubs'. This is actually similar to what Lincoln is doing and to the non-Sony panels.

2013+Ford+Fusion+083.JPG

Glad they moved the Tune +/- buttons off the volume knob also. Don't know how many times I've gone to grab the volume knob and accidentally advanced or gone back a track because I glanced against the +/- buttons.

The press release says select shift so I'm thinking they're holding off paddle shifters for the Fusion ST.

This will walk all over the current Fusion Sport. We had a Duratec 3L in the family and it doesn't pull until five grand; six cylinders suck at making torque down low.

Also, I hate the Toyota Camary... It's a real POS. That's not relevant but I feel I had to say it in light of this new Fusion.

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/2013/features/?intcmp=fv-hpbb-2013-fusion-energi#page=Feature5 Shows Paddle Shifters,

Odd there is no Mention of HID's on the site.

Also wonder how having only 8 airbags is going to play when both the Malibu and Camry have 10 (we don't know about the new 6, Altima, and Accord.) I also hope this does better in Crash testing than the recent Ford launches have which have done good, but not earned top scores in NHTSA.

Personally, I'm on board. There are not many places where I can get a thrill out of driving a car fast. When I'm on a long trip with a V6, I keep thinking I'm wasting fuel on reserve power I virtually never need. I can give a crap about horsepower bragging rights.

You got it. Back in my younger days, I tooled around in a Mustang GT and a Taurus SHO (and fondly remember the muscle-car 1960s'). Today I'm totally comfortable driving around in my 2012 Focus and getting between 40 - 41 MPG when I travel 60mph.

People need to remember that Ford has vowed to be the fuel economy champ in every segment they're in. Nowhere have they said that they'll be the horsepower/performance champ.

Has there been any MPG estimates for the 2L EB...esp with AWD?

I'm curious also. I'd like for it to be my next vehicle.

My current '08 Legacy I get about 25mpg mixed in the winter and around 29mpg mixed in the summer. Which I don't find bad for a 4 speed auto and AWD.

And more importantly how it handles. After testing Malibus, Fusions, Jettas, Altimas, Camrys etc this past summer nothing felt as plated as the Subie.

Edited by BigBadBflo

160 MPH WoW! Seriously though what is up with the "dream-o-meters" from everyone these days? Why not have a more realistic 120 MPH with a little larger easier to read numbers or even 140 if they think people will be going over 120 on a regular basis, but 160 in a family sedan? Crazy! LOL

That doesn't make much sense. The standard IP appears to be 120 mph max.

160? Maybe if you dropped it out of an airplane without a parachute.

This thing beats the crap out of anything else in the segment, including the new Malibu. If the rumored ST is any good, I might consider getting one (even though I strongly prefer RWD). Trust me, it's a huge compliment when a FWD car can get my attention this way.

Edited by atvman

So this thing sits on a longer wheelbase than the Taurus, has about as much interior space as the Taurus, but weighs the same as the current Fusion. No disrespect to Taurus fans, but (aside from the SHO) I see absolutely no reason to buy one with this car in showrooms. Having the space of a fullsize with the weight and economy of a midsize is a huge win-win. If it drives like the Mondeo, it's going to be a segment buster.

So this thing sits on a longer wheelbase than the Taurus, has about as much interior space as the Taurus, but weighs the same as the current Fusion. No disrespect to Taurus fans, but (aside from the SHO) I see absolutely no reason to buy one with this car in showrooms. Having the space of a fullsize with the weight and economy of a midsize is a huge win-win. If it drives like the Mondeo, it's going to be a segment buster.

The Taurus will get a stretched out/widened platform of this in 2-3 years...so the current model has to just tread water for the time being. I'm sure sales # will go up as PI goes on sale.

Not to mention you do have a SHO option, I got a feeling we won't see an ST model for another year or two. I don't think the Fusion Sport model had a big take rate...maybe 5-10% of total sales.

The Taurus has a V6 ;) And it's packaged very differently, it's quite a bit taller.

Mine doesn't. It's medium light stone in both my 06 Fusion and 08 Edge and neither are dirty.

I've always found that light colored interiors "dirtied up" more easily, especially from blue jeans. The blue dye rubs off and you can't get it out. However, the Texas summer heat may play a part in that.

Mine doesn't. It's medium light stone in both my 06 Fusion and 08 Edge and neither are dirty.

My thoughts are that the biege interiors don't show dirt as much as black, but they stain easier. Personally, I'll take the stain hiding black over the vacuum less often biege.