2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE has a 0-60 time of 7.6. (Camry i4 has a 0-60 time of 8.3)

My wild guess for the 0-60 time on Fusion Hybrid is 7.5 or so even with less HP. Not sure if the weight has been released but with lithium ion battery and smaller gas tank, I doubt it will weigh as much as the camry hybrid.

So faster than 1.6EB and slower than 2.0EB is most likely in my uneducated guess.

Edited by iuswingman

I'm not impressed with the new Maibu from a style aspect. But the Fusion while it's nice, it's just not a hit in my eyes. I'm sure it'll be a great car, just not as appealing as I'd hoped.

Actually on the exterior style, it has changed quite a bit. (see attached images). Yes the overall shape is the same, but... Different front fascia/clip, doesn't look like a Crosstour front clip anymore, and new hood. New sheet-metal and door skins down the side, giving it some hips over the rear tires. All new rear bumper and taillamps. More pronounced tail lip/spoiler. I think the above Accord concept is very attractive. But again, being a concept, I'll reserve final judgement until the actual production version debuts.

Sure, they changed a lot of it, but as a whole (at least in my eyes), the design looks basically the same as the current model.

Thankfully we have the cheat arrow on the fuel gauge for those intermittent brain freezes

LOL, I've still pulled up to the wrong side once or twice even with the arrow.....must've had bad days those couple times.

Fusion wins another award...Auto Blog's Editor's Choice Award for best new vehicle at 2012 NAIAS by a very wide margin:

How'd we arrive at this list? Each Autoblog editor in attendance ranked his personal favorites from one to five, and points were awarded to each (five points for the first place spot, one point for the fifth place spot). Points were tallied and cars were ranked, but if you're curious, here's how the actual voting breakdown looked. We weren't kidding when we said that the Fusion was the hands-down winner.

Fusion – 41 points

ATS – 26 points

Dart – 23 points

Veloster – 21 points

NSX – 15 points

I personally really like the NSX concept. Also the Lexus sports car concept...forget the name. Acura said new NSX won't be out for three years. Too bad because the vehicle is simply breathtaking. Ditto for Lexus concept.

the 2.0 ecoboost is simply not sufficient for high performance freeway driving. its more of a city type powertrain for robust acceleration at low speeds. at high speeds it simply doesn't pull. i've driven a volvo s60 with a 2.0EB and powershift transmission and the thing accelerates very weakly above 170 km/h

Well, this is going to suck in NASCAR.... :doh:

the 2.0 ecoboost is simply not sufficient for high performance freeway driving. its more of a city type powertrain for robust acceleration at low speeds. at high speeds it simply doesn't pull. i've driven a volvo s60 with a 2.0EB and powershift transmission and the thing accelerates very weakly above 170 km/h

Exactly what is "high performance freeway driving" because my translation of that is some fool driving way too fast on the highway. 170 KPH is 105 mph which is 35 mph above the fastest posted interstate speed limit and probably less than 15 mph from the speed at which the Fusion's speed governor kicks in. I'm not sure why one needs to "pull" when you're already doing 105 mph. You do understand that we are discussing a midsize family sedan, grocery getter right? This isn't a race car.

Unless Ford North America radically changes how the 2.0L EcoBoost performs in the new Fusion, I believe once you test drive the new 2.0 EB Fusion you will find it is set up much better for power across the rpm range then the Volvo set up. If you doubt this come on over to Europe and take the

Mondeo 2.0L EB for test drive and report back :shades:

People complaining about the performance of a car that they haven't even driven is ridiculous IMO. It's all based on assumptions or comparisons to other cars with similar engines, albeit tuned differently and likely different power to weight ratio.

Most importantly, 99% of fusion buyers won't be using their car on the racetrack or the autobahn. I'm sure the 2.0EB will do just fine getting you quickly up to highway speeds. Who cares if the Camry can get go faster to a speed one would never have an opportunity to go anyway.

Not sure I've ever seen a Camry and Fusion go drag racing down the highway lmao.

Edited by iuswingman

The Fusion weighs 600 pounds less than the Edge that uses the same engine, and most say the EB Edge moves fine. So I would expect the 2.0 EB to be very quick in the much lighter Fusion. The same engine in Focus ST that weighs about 400 pounds less than Fusion results in performance that rivals many sports cars. It's more about power to weight ratio than about raw hp. And AGAIN, for those who want their Fusion to rocket to 60mph in less than 6 seconds, be PATIENT and wait for the Fusion ST. Not sure though why those who want a high performance car are waiting on a Fusion. The 5 door Focus ST hatch will be out this year to satisfy your needs. I really don't think Ford has the engineering staff to develop 3 to 4 ST vehicle models at one time. They are already working on Focus and Fiesta ST models and the next generation Mustang.

• Like 1

People complaining about the performance of a car that they haven't even driven is ridiculous IMO. It's all based on assumptions or comparisons to other cars with similar engines, albeit tuned differently and likely different power to weight ratio.

Most importantly, 99% of fusion buyers won't be using their car on the racetrack or the autobahn. I'm sure the 2.0EB will do just fine getting you quickly up to highway speeds. Who cares if the Camry can get go faster to a speed one would never have an opportunity to go anyway.

Not sure I've ever seen a Camry and Fusion go drag racing down the highway lmao.

If I were the Camry, I don't know that I would want to go against a probably lighter Fusion with twin turbo motor, no matter how small the displacement. As has been said, Ford is probably sandbagging on power numbers on 2.0L EB. Any engine that can push a 4,000 pound Edge to 60mph in 7.5 seconds has some power in it. Twin turbos have no turbo lag and nice power/torque over much wider band than normally aspirated engine, even a V6. As with AWD, there is a reason why they are banned in most racing applications.

If I were the Camry, I don't know that I would want to go against a probably lighter Fusion with twin turbo motor, no matter how small the displacement. As has been said, Ford is probably sandbagging on power numbers on 2.0L EB. Any engine that can push a 4,000 pound Edge to 60mph in 7.5 seconds has some power in it. Twin turbos have no turbo lag and nice power/torque over much wider band than normally aspirated engine, even a V6. As with AWD, there is a reason why they are banned in most racing applications.

Fusion has a single turbo, FYI.

Edited by Schpark

if you want fast 0-60mph, the 2.0EB delivers. i expect around 6.5.

what the 2.0EB doesn't deliver is 100-120 mph passing power, which I find much more important. No one floors their car at stoplights, but everyone needs passing power. all the 3.5 V6 competitors do better than the 2.0EB here.

hmmm, ah yes, the ALL IMPORTANT 100-120 mph passing power, a premium when one is generally speeding on the local 65 mph freeway....you must live in Germany.......if not, your wearing diapers........

if you want fast 0-60mph, the 2.0EB delivers. i expect around 6.5.

what the 2.0EB doesn't deliver is 100-120 mph passing power, which I find much more important. No one floors their car at stoplights, but everyone needs passing power. all the 3.5 V6 competitors do better than the 2.0EB here.

If you do live in this country and are not joking, I will be counting the hours until your drivers license is taken away or you kill yourself. I just hope you don't take any innocent people with you.

It really depends on where you live in the US... I think Jersey mastered the art of driving fast, driving angry and driving like an a*hole. I'm no saint myself in my younger days, but cars regularly blow pass me while I'm already doing 85.

If you do live in this country and are not joking, I will be counting the hours until your drivers license is taken away or you kill yourself. I just hope you don't take any innocent people with you.

• Like 1

on most tracks out there, i would put my money on the camry se v6. that is what i mean by "better performance car"

little presumptuous there arent we pubescent boy?....FYI the Fusion happens to hold the title ( or at least did ) of best handling midsize vehicle...and that was the PRIOR version...think they will regress?......and you DO know you are basically comparing Fords MAINSTREAM version with Toyotas so called "performance" version correct? How do you think they will compare when ford brings out THEIR performance variant???? Post count usually gos hand in hand with Troll/ Idiot alert.........

the new version regressed from sla double wishbone to macpherson struts. sure, the rear suspension improved dramatically but the front suspension did regress. it will be difficult to tune the ride and handling balance with the new chassis. the volvo s60 dynamic chassis (non-4C) does have very high limits, but the ride is stiffer than a m3, especially in the front of the car. i am interested in seeing what ford does with their suspension tuning.

ford's own PR positions their 2.0EB as the performance variant. I'm not sure what you are getting at there.

BMW has used MacPherson struts for decades. Nobody faults them for their handling. Realistically, if you want a legitimate sports sedan and you have either the Fusion or Camry on your list, there's something wrong with you.

• Like 1

the new version regressed from sla double wishbone to macpherson struts. sure, the rear suspension improved dramatically but the front suspension did regress. it will be difficult to tune the ride and handling balance with the new chassis. the volvo s60 dynamic chassis (non-4C) does have very high limits, but the ride is stiffer than a m3, especially in the front of the car. i am interested in seeing what ford does with their suspension tuning.

ford's own PR positions their 2.0EB as the performance variant. I'm not sure what you are getting at there.

wrong....Fords performance varients include ST, RS, SVT................... :shades: and FYI, the ST FOCUS would chew your Toyota up...it IS a performance varient with that miserable 2.0 engine up front as well...in the Fusion its replacing the 3.0, a performance version will be down the road, mainstream first as always, get the cars on the road, word of mouth out, generate sales , and once establishe, THEN, and only THEN release a performance varient....they have done the same thing with A) Focus, B) Fiesta C) Taurus D) Mustang....do you get it now?..... :banghead:

not sure why you guys keep defending ford instead of pushing them to deliver a more compelling product. I would like to see the Fusion to be a class leading product, but its not when it offers 237hp compared to the 26x-27x of its competitors.

What they are offering is a replacement for the current 3.0L. The replacement for the Sport isn't out yet.

not sure why you guys keep defending ford instead of pushing them to deliver a more compelling product. I would like to see the Fusion to be a class leading product, but its not when it offers 237hp compared to the 26x-27x of its competitors.

not defending, just intelligent enough to be savvy to their strategy.....get back to us when they have some comaprisons that give facts figures and results....your pure speculation is falling on deaf ears.....plus you DO know rather than chest pump Ford is famous for hedging its numbers correct?....but I am exceptionally curious....please research the % of Toyotas so called performance model sold in comparison with the rest of the camry lineup.... :shades:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1110_2012_toyota_camry_first_test/

2012 CAMRY SE V6 MT FIGURE EIGHT 27.2 sec @ 0.66 g (avg)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1010_2011_hyundai_sonata_2_0t_test/viewall.html

FUSION SPORT MT FIGURE EIGHT 27.9 sec @ 0.61 g (avg)

THAT was not my point...your quote was Powertrains make up for....so get back to me on that..........