2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

New Fusion versus Taurus versus Falcon, how close can you get:

.Apart from 2" more hip and shoulder room Falcon is almost identical.

Do we really need three cars this size?

Fusion:

First row headroom 39.2

First row legroom, maximum 44.3

First row shoulder room 57.8

First row hip room 55.0

Second row headroom 37.8

Second row legroom 38.3

Second row shoulder room 56.9

Second row hip room 54.4

Taurus:

First row headroom 39.0

First row legroom, maximum 41.9

First row shoulder room 57.9

First row hip room 56.3

Second row headroom 37.8

Second row legroom 38.3

Second row shoulder room 57.8

Second row hip room 55.8

Falcon:

First row headroom 39.8

First row legroom, maximum 42.4

First row shoulder room 59.9

First row hip room 58.5

Second row headroom 38.9

Second row legroom 38.9

Second row shoulder room 59.7

Second row hip room 58.0

Not making much of a case for the Taurus, that's for sure. The Fusion is obviously packaged better.

AUTOBLOG has an link to a Ford site with details on the Fusion design:

Ford tells the tale of the 2013 Fusion at fordfusionstory.com [w/video]

All the pertinent details on the sharpest-looking sedan we've seen roll out of Dearborn in a long time are at fordfusionstory.com, a website optimized for tablet and smartphone viewing. The site went live on January 9, 2012, and provides overviews and deeper-dive information that's delivered through infographics, text, and video. With an easily shareable collection of elements designed for the way people communicate right now, Ford is showing that it takes selling the 2013 Fusion as seriously as the engineering and building part of the job.

They might be able to round it up to 28. (23 * .55 + 33 * .45 = 27.5)

The combined number is based on the non-rounded numbers for the city and highway....this is why vehicles with the same city and highway mileage on the sticker can have different combined mileages.

I don't know if it was mentioned here or not as I haven't read through the 21 pages haha, but do we know when production/ordering starts? I noticed on the Ford website over the past week that they changed it from Spring, to summer, to now Fall of this year on the main page when you click on "Cars". Anyone know? My dad's lease on his MKZ is up in August and i'm hoping it will be on the lots around that time!

I don't know if it was mentioned here or not as I haven't read through the 21 pages haha, but do we know when production/ordering starts? I noticed on the Ford website over the past week that they changed it from Spring, to summer, to now Fall of this year on the main page when you click on "Cars". Anyone know? My dad's lease on his MKZ is up in August and i'm hoping it will be on the lots around that time!

Should start hitting dealers late August early sepember

I wonder if we will see a smaller EB combined with the hybrid system at some point to deliver on highway and city mileage. Maybe the 1.0L 3 cylinder or 1.6 in EB?

Not that the highway mileage is bad by any means, and it's already way out in front of Camry, but it would really be something combined with EB. May be cost prohibitive though..

Edited by Captainp4

Wonder when they'll announce the prices.

I'm interested in hearing what the base price is going to be for a 2013 fusion hybrid. Hopefully it drops in price from the current fusion hybrid similar to what Toyota did with the '12 camry hybrid.

One article did mention that there is a Fusion Hybrid SE and Fusion Hybrid Titanium, If correct then the fusion will also have 2 trim levels for the hybrid version (not counting the plug-in version)

Edited by iuswingman

The 47MPG is amazing. I do wonder which pair of powertrains they're using to get that number. Maybe N/A is preferred for longevity issues.

they are using a version of the D20 used in the focus, with out DI.

not the larger 2.5 they were using in the last generation Hybrid system.

Ford tried to improve the situation by flying in a bunch of bloggers to write about the Fusion – and they were quite pleased with themselves for doing that, I might add, even though it mattered not one iota – but they didn’t really need to because in retrospect the Fusion is every bit as good and significant, if not more so, than it was upon its unveiling.

It’s rare when a car arrives in a segment that not only redefines it but also completely changes the dynamic altogether, but the Fusion does exactly that. As I said last week, “suddenly the Malibu doesn’t reach far enough, the Sonata seems stale and the Camry looks easily ten years old.” And that’s saying a mouthful because those are seriously tough competitors, each and every one. But the Fusion truly transcends the segment, and those worthy competitors have been instantly relegated to second-tier status overnight.

I’ve heard from the hand-wringers and their insistence that the new Fusion will price itself out of the segment and that the competition will eat Ford’s lunch based on that, but I don’t see that happening at all. What I do see is people wanting the best in the segment and flocking to the Fusion in droves, while paying a premium to boot. If this business is based on image being everything (and more on that later), then the new Fusion will be red hot the moment it hits the showrooms next fall.

http://www.autoextremist.com/

Edited by RichardJensen
Citation added

I disagree with his statement that people will flock to the fusion regardless of price. It's a great looking car but how much of a premium does he think people will pay in this economy?

If they don't price it competitively then it won't sell at a very high rate (aka tops in the segment). The people that can afford higher prices will be comparing it to luxury cars and those that can't will be looking at the best deal.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

It’s rare when a car arrives in a segment that not only redefines it but also completely changes the dynamic altogether, but the Fusion does exactly that. As I said last week, “suddenly the Malibu doesn’t reach far enough, the Sonata seems stale and the Camry looks easily ten years old.” And that’s saying a mouthful because those are seriously tough competitors, each and every one. But the Fusion truly transcends the segment, and those worthy competitors have been instantly relegated to second-tier status overnight.

Wow...he has driven all of them?