2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

Well, I'm sure it isn't unknown to somebody but as of late December all those dates were unpublished. Considering HAP hasn't scheduled 2012 buildout yet, let alone go down for the changeover, I can't see how Spring is even an option. I've heard Job1 sometime in Q3.

Ford is publicly stating late 2012. I would expect first shipments in Sept.-Oct. time frame. So you probably won't see huge inventories of them on dealer lots until 2013. No problem....there should be good numbers of 2013 Escape out by middle of summer and great deals on 2012 Fusion. This coming Fall will be good time to buy 2012 Fusion as Ford tries to clear old inventory for new Fusion. Ditto with 2012 Escape as 2013 Escape hits dealerships sometime in May or so.

I'm not impressed with the new Maibu from a style aspect. But the Fusion while it's nice, it's just not a hit in my eyes. I'm sure it'll be a great car, just not as appealing as I'd hoped.

Actually on the exterior style, it has changed quite a bit. (see attached images). Yes the overall shape is the same, but... Different front fascia/clip, doesn't look like a Crosstour front clip anymore, and new hood. New sheet-metal and door skins down the side, giving it some hips over the rear tires. All new rear bumper and taillamps. More pronounced tail lip/spoiler. I think the above Accord concept is very attractive. But again, being a concept, I'll reserve final judgement until the actual production version debuts.

Hey V8-X....probably a very good idea to wait until you see new Fusion in person before making final jugdgements about it. I like what I see on computer screen, but I will know more when I see it in person. Kind of like watching competitive downhill skiing on TV...you can't appreciate the extreme slope of course unless there in person.

Hey V8-X....probably a very good idea to wait until you see new Fusion in person before making final jugdgements about it. I like what I see on computer screen, but I will know more when I see it in person. Kind of like watching competitive downhill skiing on TV...you can't appreciate the extreme slope of course unless there in person.

Oh I'll wait to make a final determination until it hits lots, or at the Denver Auto Show. I understand how features in pics can trick the eye. But I'm just feeling the design overall. While it's decent in my opinion, it wasn't enough to grab my eye and say "I've gotta check out that car". I'm sure I'll be more impressed when I do see it in person, but don't think it'll really sway my opinion greatly. It's like the '11 Explorer or '13 Escape. Both designs are okay in my opinion, but neither had/has enough appeal to it to make me really excited to see in person. Of course I've seen the Explorer plenty, as my dealer is flooded with them. And while it has slowly grown on me, it's still not an eye catching design that I truly love.

Oh I'll wait to make a final determination until it hits lots, or at the Denver Auto Show. I understand how features in pics can trick the eye. But I'm just feeling the design overall. While it's decent in my opinion, it wasn't enough to grab my eye and say "I've gotta check out that car". I'm sure I'll be more impressed when I do see it in person, but don't think it'll really sway my opinion greatly. It's like the '11 Explorer or '13 Escape. Both designs are okay in my opinion, but neither had/has enough appeal to it to make me really excited to see in person. Of course I've seen the Explorer plenty, as my dealer is flooded with them. And while it has slowly grown on me, it's still not an eye catching design that I truly love.

Offhand, four areas of new Fusion that I like a lot better. Front end is very distinctive and elegant as I was never a fan of the big, three bar chromed grille with giant Ford logo on it. The little Ford logo just above is so much better. Never a fan of slab sides like on 2012 Fusion. In fact, I hate slab sides. You have to see the 2013 Fusion in person to appreciate the graceful lines on the sides of this one. Next, the interior of 2013 Fusion is much, much better and the rear seat area with adjustable vents finally is much, much, much better. Finally, the rear bumper area and below has a much more finished look and vehicle in general looks more expensive. If Ford can hold the line on price somewhat, the 2013 Fusion should be a homerun assuming HAP can produce a quality vehicle like they have been doing.

Offhand, four areas of new Fusion that I like a lot better. Front end is very distinctive and elegant as I was never a fan of the big, three bar chromed grille with giant Ford logo on it. The little Ford logo just above is so much better. Never a fan of slab sides like on 2012 Fusion. In fact, I hate slab sides. You have to see the 2013 Fusion in person to appreciate the graceful lines on the sides of this one. Next, the interior of 2013 Fusion is much, much better and the rear seat area with adjustable vents finally is much, much, much better. Finally, the rear bumper area and below has a much more finished look and vehicle in general looks more expensive. If Ford can hold the line on price somewhat, the 2013 Fusion should be a homerun assuming HAP can produce a quality vehicle like they have been doing.

And yes I agree, there are area's where the new Fusion is better than the outgoing model. I never said there wasn't. But after all the hype surrounding the new Fusion, I was left less than impressed. As stated in my original post in this thread, I really do like the front clip. Has the Aston Martin grille and Evo headlamp look. Which is nice and sporty, but I don't think it's really unique as the outgoing model, as those elements (grille & head lamps) on the new Fusion look simply too similar to other products (Aston/Evo). Doesn't scream "Ford" to me in any exterior design element. The rear is simply bland and unimpressive. Nothing from the rear of the vehicle is attractive, no matter which angle the pic is from. And those tail lamps remind me way too much of a Fiesta sedan. From the profile, it does have a clean sleek look, but something about the rear of the greenhouse doesn't look as cohesive and flowing as other sedans that I've seen with this similar "fastback" type look. And the interior, simply reminds me of every other new Ford coming out. I know you want to keep a corporate theme going, as well as shared costs, but I've never liked the digital gauges they are throwing in every vehicle, and everything is getting the same steering wheel as well. Not a fan of the Sony head-unit. Really dislike the window switches on the door panels, look cheap to me.

So they are simply my personal opinions. People may love certain vehicles, others may not. Like me, I truly love the Flex, while others totally hate it. So while I'll wait until I see it in person, it just doesn't have the design personality that truly intrigues me. Now the MKZ concept, that's a stunningly beautiful product overall in my opinion, even if it is off the same platform. Only real aspect about it that I dislike is the same portion of the rear of the greenhouse as the Fusion. On the MKZ it just looks too bulky.

While it's decent in my opinion, it wasn't enough to grab my eye and say "I've gotta check out that car".

Are there any standard midsize sedans that do? It's a Fusion after all, not a Bentley or a Ferrari. There are only so many eye-popping things you can do to a 3-box body without making some serious compromises to functionality that probably wouldn't appeal to the core audience of midsize sedans.

For the limitations of the overall package, I think it is absolutely stunning. :shrug:

Are there any standard midsize sedans that do?

What do you mean by standard?

Love Audi, the new MKZ concept, Kia Optima, Altima, Legacy, Kizashi and VW CC are all mid-sizers that I find just as appealing, if not more so than the Fusion. When the Optima or Audi is decked out right, it sure is one that says to me "that's a car I'd love to have". Sure, each car I mentioned have some design quirks that I dislike, just like the Fusion. Not one is better than the other. But again, to me the new Fusion while nice, still has plenty of competition in the style dept, IMHO. Not saying this is true with everyone's view, just providing my feedback.

Oh and nothing I've stated so far has anything to do with performance or powertrain or optional equipment. Simply has to deal with the style inside and out.

What do you mean by standard?

Love Audi, the new MKZ concept, Kia Optima, Altima, Legacy, Kizashi and VW CC are all mid-sizers that I find just as appealing, if not more so than the Fusion. When the Optima or Audi is decked out right, it sure is one that says to me "that's a car I'd love to have". Sure, each car I mentioned have some design quirks that I dislike, just like the Fusion. Not one is better than the other. But again, to me the new Fusion while nice, still has plenty of competition in the style dept, IMHO. Not saying this is true with everyone's view, just providing my feedback.

Oh and nothing I've stated so far has anything to do with performance or powertrain or optional equipment. Simply has to deal with the style inside and out.

Standard, as in non-luxury. Altima?? Really? The Altima gets the blood pumping for you and the Fusion doesn't? :headscratch: You have strange tastes, my friend.

LOL.................. I thought the same thing. And the Legacy??

Alrighty then.

However, we have to remember that there were people who liked the Aztec, so style is truly subjective.

Frankly, I think the Fusion trumps every mainstream midsize in elegance, detail, and sportiness. I even think it outdoes most mid lux, and luxury midsizers also.

Alrighty then.

However, we have to remember that there were people who liked the Aztec, so style is truly subjective.

Frankly, I think the Fusion trumps every mainstream midsize in elegance, detail, and sportiness. I even think it outdoes most mid lux, and luxury midsizers also.

Well, that's why I just said he has strange tastes, not wrong ones.

actually Im somewhat torn myself....I feel like Ive come home from a Movie everyone RAVED about, only to be underwhelmed...my fingers are crossed for the hands on....although we had a 2013 SHO here yesterday, and dare I say it, at a glance they could be mistaken for the same car...barring the SHO's HORRIBLE wheels.....

Actually on the exterior style, it has changed quite a bit. (see attached images). Yes the overall shape is the same, but... Different front fascia/clip, doesn't look like a Crosstour front clip anymore, and new hood. New sheet-metal and door skins down the side, giving it some hips over the rear tires. All new rear bumper and taillamps. More pronounced tail lip/spoiler. I think the above Accord concept is very attractive. But again, being a concept, I'll reserve final judgement until the actual production version debuts.

We are a bit off topic for this thread but the new Accord coupe is the same as the current car. Just a minor facelift.

The coupe is staying on unchanged while an all-new sedan will debut in NY in April. The new Accord will be a worldwide model like the Fusion (no more US-only Accord). Acura TSX is going away.

Standard, as in non-luxury. Altima?? Really? The Altima gets the blood pumping for you and the Fusion doesn't? :headscratch: You have strange tastes, my friend.

Base model Altima no, just as I'm sure a stripped model of the Fusion won't be nearly as nice as the top of the line. Altima wise, I love the option of a 3.5L 270hp with 6spd manual. Biggest dislike of the Altima is the most recent front facelift they put on it. That bumper cover has no style, but the rest of the car looks great IMHO. So comparing the Altima to the upcoming Fusion, sure I like the Fusion front end better now after this recent change. But from the rear and profile, I do like the Altima better. I think they execute the greenhouse/fastback look better on the Atlima than the Fusion. But I totally dislike the Altima Coupe, it lost the appeal of the sedan.

We are a bit off topic for this thread but the new Accord coupe is the same as the current car. Just a minor facelift.

The coupe is staying on unchanged while an all-new sedan will debut in NY in April. The new Accord will be a worldwide model like the Fusion (no more US-only Accord). Acura TSX is going away.

Yes I understand it's the same car underneath. But the facelift they did for this concept makes the car look great is all I'm saying. And being a concept, I'll just wait to see how Honda F's it up for production.

post-12355-0-36420800-1326229793_thumb.jpg

post-12355-0-02148800-1326229802_thumb.png

Alrighty then.

Again, the base Legacy not so much, just like a base Fusion not so much. The Legacy front clip has gone the wrong way over the most recent redesign, but the profile of this care, rear, interior and performance are aspects I truly like. The 2.5GT with 6spd manual my friend had in his 2010 (prior to moving to a 2011 STi) was a sweet setup and great looking car.

And no, I never liked the Aztek. But there are styles and the way certain items are executed that make me either like/dislike a vehicle. And don't get me wrong, I like the new Fusion, it's nice. But from a style standpoint, I don't think it's as nice as the MKZ concept, and simply on par with other mid-sizers already on the market.

Again, the base Legacy not so much, just like a base Fusion not so much. The Legacy front clip has gone the wrong way over the most recent redesign, but the profile of this care, rear, interior and performance are aspects I truly like. The 2.5GT with 6spd manual my friend had in his 2010 (prior to moving to a 2011 STi) was a sweet setup and great looking car.

And no, I never liked the Aztek. But there are styles and the way certain items are executed that make me either like/dislike a vehicle. And don't get me wrong, I like the new Fusion, it's nice. But from a style standpoint, I don't think it's as nice as the MKZ concept, and simply on par with other mid-sizers already on the market.

Yeah, I think you lost most of us with the Legacy design. Very bland design to me. Now the Optima I like. The Sonata to me is overstyled. So I'll give you the Optima as good example of a well designed mid sized family car. Legacy no way. Only if you love bland design that offends no one, but at same time doesn't move anyone either. I'd rather be polarizing than bland. I think you do also since you love the Flex. Some have already said that the new Fusion is polarizing. I wouldn't characterize it as polarizing at all.....it's too elegant of a design to be called polarizing. I don't see love or hate in that design. Maybe tepid like you to love.

Any guesses as to what the combined fuel economy average for the 2.0L Fusion is going to be? I'm guessing thats the replacement for the Sport model. I looked at the Ford Edge ecoboost with a curb weight of just over 4000 pounds, so with the Fusion 2.0L coming in between 3400-3500 pounds I'm guessing like 27mpg overall? The turbo in the Sonata (even though it sucks) gets 26, so my wild guess would be that Ford would try to beat that by at least one mpg.

I have a 2010 Sport FWD and I'm guessing the 2.0l Ecoboost engine will at least match my 3.5 in performance.

Any guesses as to what the combined fuel economy average for the 2.0L Fusion is going to be? I'm guessing thats the replacement for the Sport model. I looked at the Ford Edge ecoboost with a curb weight of just over 4000 pounds, so with the Fusion 2.0L coming in between 3400-3500 pounds I'm guessing like 27mpg overall? The turbo in the Sonata (even though it sucks) gets 26, so my wild guess would be that Ford would try to beat that by at least one mpg.

I have a 2010 Sport FWD and I'm guessing the 2.0l Ecoboost engine will at least match my 3.5 in performance.

I read the spec sheet and the Fusion with auto weighs 3,4000 pounds. So I would say in FWD form 25mpg city and 35mpg highway with power and torque of 3.5L V6. 23mpg and 33mpg highway in AWD form. The new Fusion is a pretty light mid sizer, not a porky one.

Hi omelet.:D Just as an FYI: The 2.0 EcoBoost in the 2013 Fusion is not "..the replacement for the Sport model". A more accurate description would be that it "replaces" the 3.0L V-6 available in the previous SE and SEL models. Just as there was no Sport model in the Fusion when it was first introduced in 2006 (or for almost any newly designed/introduced car from any automaker), there is no replacement yet for the Sport model. It needs to be recalled that the current Fusion did not have a Sport model with a larger/more powerful engine for 4 full model years (2006-2010). The good news is that the Sport (ST?) model will come much quicker than 4 years in this new generation Fusion.

Good luck.:beerchug:.

Edited by bbf2530

Yeah, I think you lost most of us with the Legacy design. Very bland design to me. Now the Optima I like. The Sonata to me is overstyled. So I'll give you the Optima as good example of a well designed mid sized family car. Legacy no way. Only if you love bland design that offends no one, but at same time doesn't move anyone either. I'd rather be polarizing than bland. I think you do also since you love the Flex. Some have already said that the new Fusion is polarizing. I wouldn't characterize it as polarizing at all.....it's too elegant of a design to be called polarizing. I don't see love or hate in that design. Maybe tepid like you to love.

The Optima is a beautiful design. The Sonata like you stated, is overdone and I dislike the extreme attempt. While in most base models, the Legacy does appear bland, when equipped properly I think it's a very good looking and stylish mid-size. And has great performance to boot in my opinion.

As for the Flex, I love it cause of it's unique design. Nothing else on the road really like it, even though some like to compare it to the Scion xB. And I don't see love or hate in the new Fusion design either. I think it's a good looking car no doubt, but it's style alone wouldn't get me into the dealership. Whereas I would never have contemplated even stepping on the Kia dealership it it weren't for the Optima.

post-12355-0-76615900-1326234039_thumb.jpg

post-12355-0-99754500-1326234047_thumb.jpg

Edited by V8-X

Hi omelet.:D Just as an FYI: The 2.0 EcoBoost in the 2013 Fusion is not "..the replacement for the Sport model". A more accurate description would be that it "replaces" the 3.0L V-6 available in the previous SE and SEL models. Just as there was no Sport model in the Fusion when it was first introduced in 2006 (or for almost any newly designed/introduced car from any automaker), there is no replacement yet for the Sport model. It needs to be recalled that the current Fusion did not have a Sport model with a larger/more powerful engine for 4 full model years (2006-2010). The good news is that the Sport (ST?) model will come much quicker than 4 years in this new generation Fusion.

Good luck.:beerchug:.

Your right, its not a replacement. I've got the 2010 Sport, and getting 20.5 overall bugs me so thats why I was asking. Everyone on here is saying that the 2.0L is pretty peppy and hauls around the Edge to a 0-60 time of around 7.5 seconds, so if it can match the current performance and handling of the Sport and get like 27-28mpg overall I would be very tempted to get it.

Now granted since I'm talking about fuel economy I should get the hybrid or the 1.6 Ecoboost, but unfortunately I like going fast :)

Any guesses what the hybrid 0-60 time and quarter mile time is going to be? I'll confess that my knowledge of hybrids is pretty low, so I was just wondering about the low torque in the 2013 Fusion Hybrid? I think I read somewhere that even though a Hybrid like the Fusion only has 135 lbs of torque the electric motor makes up for it and gives descent acceleration?? Sorry again, don't know too much about hybrids.