2014 Chevrolet Impala Debuts

BORG

The All-new 2014 Impala is finally here to take on the Taurus.

The new Impala will be powered by three powertrain options. The first will be GM’s familiar 2.4-liter Ecotec four-cylinder with eAssist system. GM claims this setup will achieve an estimated 35 mpg highway, down from the Malibu’s 37 mpg rating. Impala will also be available with GM’s new 2.5-liter Ecotec with 195 horsepower. GM’s also well-known 3.6-liter V-6 will also be optional with an estimated 300 horsepower.

2014-Chevrolet-Impala-016.jpg

14Impala_004.jpg

14Impala_011.jpg

14Impala_019.jpg

Edited by BORG

Sorry...does nothing for me...looks like a Camaro and and a Buick had a child together.

Yeah, that's basically it.

But anythings better than the current car, I think Noah drove the first W body.

Wonder if it'll still be a rental queen?

I will say one negative thing though.....GM has the absolute WORST steering wheel designers on Earth. How can you mess something so elementary up so badly? It's round, throw some buttons on it and call it a day. No, GM calls this pie plate a steering wheel:

xlarge.jpg

I will say one negative thing though.....GM has the absolute WORST steering wheel designers on Earth. How can you mess something so elementary up so badly? It's round, throw some buttons on it and call it a day. No, GM calls this pie plate a steering wheel:

xlarge.jpg

The whole dash is a big mess...I don't get the cubby hole behind the nav unit either...

The out side of the car is a huge improvement over the current car...though I do see some Audi in the ass end.

And like stated before...is she going to be a fleet whore like the current car?

I'm wondering why the HVAC has a CD slot (if that's what it is).

I imagine since the media center is empty behind it (the cubby hole), the CD slot had to moved elsewhere. The cubby hole doesn't both me, it's somewhat novel and the interior doesn't bother me at all....but I could not stare at that steering wheel every day.....that would turn me off instantly on a test drive..

The exterior design definitely makes a striking impression, but I REALLY hate that rear fender hip line. The Buick LaCrosse has something like it and it's a pet peeve of mine.

The interior still has everything I hate about non-Ford interiors, business-as-usual UI design.

I do like the collision avoidance system WITH braking. Ford and Lincoln don't have this yet, just an alert system with brake pre-charging. I don't know why they haven't implemented this.

And you're right, the steering wheel is HIDEOUS and the cubby behind the screen makes no sense, I don't get why this is valuable to anybody.

But in the end, this makes the Taurus (and even the MKS) look dated and obsolete.

Edited by BORG

Have to say, one of GM's best efforts in a while.

When I saw the first pic at a glance, forgetting the title of the thread (I open many at once then go back and read them when I have a chance), I thought "who slapped a bow tie on the front of an MKS"?

Then, on the next pic, I was trying to figure out why there was a pic of a Jaguar in the same thread.

Overall, not bad, but I agree with Borg on the interior...like EVERY non-Ford interior, it just doesn't have that "look and feel" to it. Hard to explain...

The car looks pretty good................. well, except that awful hip character line that goes nowhere................. and the behind that is just a mess.

What gets me though................... why no AWD?? What does GM have against AWD cars?? Well, that and a n/a 4cyl base engine.

Well, that and a n/a 4cyl base engine.

They needed something for Alamo to buy. ;)

Guess my opinions seem to be on par with everyone else's. The hip crease seems a bit overdone, but otherwise rather unoffensive. The dash area around the steering wheel just looks busy. Too many creases and cut lines. I think the cubby behind the touch screen is a pretty decent idea, just so long as there are media outlets in there. Seems like it would be a good spot to stow your iPod if that is the case.

Not bad looking, but the front has a Honda Crosstour vibe to it.

I'm not seeing where this makes the Taurus look dated. If anything, the Impala has finally caught up to the Taurus in the styling department.

When I saw the Impala for the first time, my first that was, what, exactly, is the point of Buick? Can't see why anyone would prefer a LaCrosse over this.

xlarge.jpg

It's probably just me, but steering wheel / gauges make a frog face, lol.

Impala_Frog_Face2.jpg

• Like 3