Just Saw the First Police Interceptor In Pittsburgh

I couldn't tell which department it was from because it was all black and unmarked. The blackout grille and spotlight were the first thing I noticed while driving in the opposite direction. It still had stickers on the window.

I know the Pittsburgh PD placed an order but their cars are all white with black and gold stripes. It's either under cover or headed for decals for one of the suburban departments.

Pretty intimidating looking.

I couldn't tell which department it was from because it was all black and unmarked. The blackout grille and spotlight were the first thing I noticed while driving in the opposite direction. It still had stickers on the window.

I know the Pittsburgh PD placed an order but their cars are all white with black and gold stripes. It's either under cover or headed for decals for one of the suburban departments.

:D

I saw 2 new Nevada State Highway Tauruseses on the road a couple weeks ago

didn't get near enough to see if they were EB's

Nice to hear! :bandance: I have seen articles stating that West Virginia State Police and Maine State Police are purchasing Interceptors also. I have heard rumors that my department will be purchasing some to. Have not heard anything official though. :cold:

Edited by danglin

I too saw one yesterday Mark. It was in Oakland and it was a Port Authority Police vehicle of all things. This one was all white with the silver and navy blue markings of the PAT police. I also saw a new Pitt Police Explorer two days ago. I guess they replaced their old Explorers with new ones finally.

Hi Baggs, I was in Castle Shannon (Suburb of Pittsburgh) this morning and passed a fully decked out Black and White PI. Does anyone know whether the non-Eco-Boost models have the exhausts side by side like the Taurus? This one had the exhaust outlets spread apart like the SHO. I couldn't get close enough to see if there was an EcoBoost emblem.

Castle Shannon has a big Ford dealer and they have used Fords for as long as I can remember.

Hi Baggs, I was in Castle Shannon (Suburb of Pittsburgh) this morning and passed a fully decked out Black and White PI. Does anyone know whether the non-Eco-Boost models have the exhausts side by side like the Taurus? This one had the exhaust outlets spread apart like the SHO. I couldn't get close enough to see if there was an EcoBoost emblem.

Castle Shannon has a big Ford dealer and they have used Fords for as long as I can remember.

All taurus models have the split exhaust now regardless of engine.

City police just took delivery of two of them on Thursday and I saw them on patrol Friday. They look better in person than in the pics we have been seeing. They look really mean. The wheels look kind of cheap, but not any worse than some of the last wheel covers they were putting on the CVPI its last few years. It will be interesting over the next few years to compare maintenance costs between the CVPI and the new Taurus. I'm sure they will go down because of fuel savings alone, but I want to see how it works out mechanically.

• Like 1

Just saw my first Interceptor sedan in Maryland this morning. Was a tan unmarked headed westbound on Rt 50 out of Annapolis. Only tipoff from the side (I missed the front) were the black fender vent and PI wheels with the chrome centercaps.

"They're heeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeere!"

Coincidentally enough, on my way back from work yesterday (same day I saw the Ford PI) I saw my first Caprice on the road -- silver unmarked, also right outside Annapolis. Wonder who is buying them? First thing I noticed about the Caprice was how small it looked. Next thing I noticed was how the back end looks awfully like the Impala, ie outdated as heck.

Edited by NickF1011

I've heard that the police aren't big fans of the new taurus as police cars. I'm just wondering if theirs any truth to that

From two sources- one a LEO and the other a fire chief weho was quoting his departments police chief at a staff meeting. Same sentiments-no room and lousy visibility. Now before we slash our wrists..."compared to what"?? I would guess those issues will be the same with Charger as well as the Caprice. As I reported earlier, Mass State Police made their decision to go with a majority of Utility PI's vs Taurus on the visibility issue.

I would add, when my SHO replaced my 07 CV Sport my first impression was-- "this is cramped". You are not going to shift your butt around in the seat of a Taurus vs. a CV. But I'm used to it now. Visibility? That is not going to change-and again, NOTHING has good visibility-in particular side/rearword-unless its a Tahoe or Expy IMO

Saw my first interceptor at the Mopar Mile High NHRA Nationals at Bandimere Speedway this past weekend belonging to Jefferson County Police Dept. Nothing special about it, but my father-in-law was intrigued since he drives a 2010 Taurus currently. But man, not much room inside, front or rear for occupants or gear. Looked like a very tight squeeze.

I was coming into work today and I saw 8-12 Police Interceptor Utilities in a holding yard where I work. I'm assuming that they are getting in-processed for the DOD police. They already have a regular Explorer in their fleet and use FWD Impalas as patrol cars on post.

Is the grill different on the PIU vs the Explorer? It seemed like on the PIU that there was extra "electric shaver" holes in it, but it just might have been more apparent since the grill was black plastic.

I was coming into work today and I saw 8-12 Police Interceptor Utilities in a holding yard where I work. I'm assuming that they are getting in-processed for the DOD police. They already have a regular Explorer in their fleet and use FWD Impalas as patrol cars on post.

Is the grill different on the PIU vs the Explorer? It seemed like on the PIU that there was extra "electric shaver" holes in it, but it just might have been more apparent since the grill was black plastic.

It looks like the same grille as the Explorer only in Black without the chrome strips. I haven't seen one up close yet.