Transit Connect

Not exactly, but they should carry some common design cues so they're both recognizable as Fords. They should be like siblings--when I look at my brother's kids, they're all distinctly individual (even the twins), but they're also instantly recognizable as siblings. When you have those common design cues, you build the brand and the individual models at the same time--as long as you don't beat them both with the same ugly stick...

So adopted kids or step-siblings shouldn't feel like they are part of the family? :P

I don't really get it. If a car is designed well, people will know what brand it is because it will be an appealing vehicle. It doesn't have to look like any of its siblings. That has been the case with the Mustang for at least the past decade.

The Euro version will have 3 abreast seating in the 3rd row, I wonder why the US version is only 2 wide? There appears to be plenty of room for it. Weird.

Don't forget FordNA has a rather strict seat width internal metric, dictating the minimum width per belt in a bench seats.

Same reason Flex and Explorer have 2 across in the 3rd row while their rivals have 3: Ford thinks 2 properly sized seats are better than 3 small ones.

So adopted kids or step-siblings shouldn't feel like they are part of the family? :P

I don't really get it. If a car is designed well, people will know what brand it is because it will be an appealing vehicle. It doesn't have to look like any of its siblings. That has been the case with the Mustang for at least the past decade.

I think you can make exceptions for Icons.

You have to be a little crazy to buy one of these. It's like driving a fishtank. Hideous and it will not sell well. It's funny to watch Ford consistently half-ass the minivan market. And GOD that front is atrocious, they really piled on with this design.

so wrong and inherently bias Borg, take off your polar neck and get your hands dirty ....the current TCs weakness is its powertrain...a 4 speed for goodness sakes ,a nd yeat we still sell everyone we get, and it, the TC, has KILLED e-150 sales completely...if they can keep costs in check ( because even as a tin can its relatively expensive ) and build it here to avoid the inexcusable crap shoot tracking courtesy of Turkish construction, they will have a winner....BUT, words of advice, one of the TCs charm is its simplicity....

The Euro version will have 3 abreast seating in the 3rd row, I wonder why the US version is only 2 wide? There appears to be plenty of room for it. Weird.

hint, watch some info-mercials....every second add is some groundbreaking weight loss treatment....theres a reason....Americans are becoming more and more less active....

Not exactly, but they should carry some common design cues so they're both recognizable as Fords. They should be like siblings--when I look at my brother's kids, they're all distinctly individual (even the twins), but they're also instantly recognizable as siblings.

What makes them instantly recognizable as siblings may be more the fact that they resemble the parents. Like me and my brothers.

So it is with Ford's model lines. A Fiesta doesn't have to look like a Flex doesn't have to look like a Mustang doesn't have to look like an F-150 for anyone to know that they're all Fords.

Probably to ensure good side impact crash rating in the US. Euro NCAP crash test is different than NHTSA. Plus we have the super conflict of interest "independent" crash tests conducted by Insurance Institute (which is an insurance industry lobby group) that some how has garnered credibility in the media. Imagine if drug companies are allowed to test its own drugs outside of FDA supervision.

Probably to ensure good side impact crash rating in the US. Euro NCAP crash test is different than NHTSA. Plus we have the super conflict of interest "independent" crash tests conducted by Insurance Institute (which is an insurance industry lobby group) that some how has garnered credibility in the media. Imagine if drug companies are allowed to test its own drugs outside of FDA supervision.

they do test drugs in other countries, not just the US....and the FDA is one of the biggest hurdles to bringing cutting edge drugs from outside suppliers, I recently lost a sister in law in NZ who actually called here to talk to highly rated cancer Doctors regarding treatment, they informed her the drugs she had been prescribed were the best avail and not avail in the US thanks to FDA red -tape.....

What I like about this vehicle is that it gives people in the market for a 7 passenger vehicle more choices. And it's one that will be capable of 30 mpg and can tow up to 2000 pounds.

And that is exactly what the market needed. My HHR panel is now too small for my work needs, and the 1K tow capacity is no longer enough. This will give me the same MPG with more power, more space, a 2K tow rating which I now need, and best of all it's a Ford that will be built in america. The previous Transit Connect I would've never bought. Too third world/primitive for my tastes. This one looks like a home run for my needs, I'm glad my only choice is not a Caravan. I would've hated to buy a Dodge. Now if I can just get by one more year with the little HHR. I'd buy one today if they were available. People said the 2013 Escape would not sell too. My wife bought one.

So the Mustang should resemble the Fiesta?

Apparently it is in its next Generation....anyways...if anything the Mustang has always been chasing its past when it comes to styling, save the Fox based Mustangs, which where the first truly new design direction for the Mustang since 1965..but in 1992, the push was on to make it more like the 65 Mustang (adding tribar running pony emblems etc) and 1994 the reskin was the first to incorporate the classic design cues from 1960's Mustang, but that even took a path in the wrong direction (IMO) in 1999. The 2004 was more or less a modernized 1967-69 Mustang.

the TC, has KILLED e-150 sales completely.....

Well the E-150 is vast overkill for most people who need a van anyways....

Its being built in Spain.

I dont get that, I would have thought it would be built besides its big bro....question, does being built in Spain avoid the chicken tax? Because right now thats a big part of the problem, removing windows and seats cant be cost effective along with shipment costs.....

What makes them instantly recognizable as siblings may be more the fact that they resemble the parents. Like me and my brothers.

I've never really paid attention to anyone else's kids over this long of a time, so it may not be unique to them, but there are stages in their development where my brother's kids were dead ringers for each other. There are some pictures where you'd need to know the date on which it was taken to be sure which kiddo is in it.

So it is with Ford's model lines. A Fiesta doesn't have to look like a Flex doesn't have to look like a Mustang doesn't have to look like an F-150 for anyone to know that they're all Fords.

I'm not saying that they need to look like each other, just that some common design cues would help tie everything together--and you don't even have to use the same design cues across all models. Say you have someone who likes the Mustang but needs a sedan; if you have some of the Mustang styling DNA in a Fusion, they might be more apt to look at it instead of a Camcordima or Maliboo.

does being built in Spain avoid the chicken tax? Because right now thats a big part of the problem, removing windows and seats cant be cost effective along with shipment costs.....

Apparently it does make financial sense to do that vs building it here...I think getting another set of stampings,etc just to sell maybe 50K TC and TCW and putting it into US plant would cost more then the current plan they have in place. From what I understand, Ford makes money off the scrap left over from converting them...as for shipping costs...I'd assume they aren't that much since we get pently of Korean, German and Japanese cars shipped here.

Apparently it does make financial sense to do that vs building it here...I think getting another set of stampings,etc just to sell maybe 50K TC and TCW and putting it into US plant would cost more then the current plan they have in place. From what I understand, Ford makes money off the scrap left over from converting them...as for shipping costs...I'd assume they aren't that much since we get pently of Korean, German and Japanese cars shipped here.

its my understanding the seats and windows are sent back for re-installation....my take, the TC was initially sent here as an experiment to gauge potential, setup costs were negligible as a factory was in place in turkey, and that was cheaper than setting up build here.....and take it from me, the semantics of ordering a TC and tracking it were the WORST I have EVER experienced in 20 plus years...it is absolutely pathetic....and order turnaround for a custom order is 5...yes, you are reading correctly..5 MONTHS. I half pie expected the ship was of viking origin, complete with a drum and OARS!.... Edited by Deanh

Well now we see one of several reasons why we aren't getting the Grand C-Max.

Color me very skeptical over the potential success of this vehicle.

Yes, I'm getting older; yes, my data are very dated at this point but I do have some relevant experience with Ford's last planned full-size minivan..

Over time, the formula for the "American Style" minivan has been well established. You can actually pretty well nail down all the attributes that all of the successful minivans have. In general, products that don't fit the mold are deemed to be uncompetitive and eventually have been forced from the market. In Ford's case, the Windstar was uncompetitive in several areas, wasn't updated, and was gone. In the case of the Villager/(Quest), a good product was forced from the market primarily because it was too small.

Ford is almost singlehandly trying to establish a smaller "people mover" category in the U.S. I think it works well for the C-Max which is functional, versitile, and efficient. I'm not so sure it works with this vehicle. There will be some families that might be interested in a smaller minivan with compromised function, but how many? And if anyone driving a competitive Honda, Toyota, or Chrysler minivan shops this vehicle, they likely are going to be very disappointed.

I have an appreciation for minivans, but looking back at the time when I owned them, I don't think this vehicle would ever have been in my consideration set. And I don't think it will be in consideration for customers who want something "funky" that hampsters might drive. Just my opinion.....

My comments don't have anything to do with the commercial side of the Transit Connect which I think was an excellent move on Ford's part.

Well now we see one of several reasons why we aren't getting the Grand C-Max.

Color me very skeptical over the potential success of this vehicle.

Yes, I'm getting older; yes, my data are very dated at this point but I do have some relevant experience with Ford's last planned full-size minivan..

Over time, the formula for the "American Style" minivan has been well established. You can actually pretty well nail down all the attributes that all of the successful minivans have. In general, products that don't fit the mold are deemed to be uncompetitive and eventually have been forced from the market. In Ford's case, the Windstar was uncompetitive in several areas, wasn't updated, and was gone. In the case of the Villager/(Quest), a good product was forced from the market primarily because it was too small.

Ford is almost singlehandly trying to establish a smaller "people mover" category in the U.S. I think it works well for the C-Max which is functional, versitile, and efficient. I'm not so sure it works with this vehicle. There will be some families that might be interested in a smaller minivan with compromised function, but how many? And if anyone driving a competitive Honda, Toyota, or Chrysler minivan shops this vehicle, they likely are going to be very disappointed.

I have an appreciation for minivans, but looking back at the time when I owned them, I don't think this vehicle would ever have been in my consideration set. And I don't think it will be in consideration for customers who want something "funky" that hampsters might drive. Just my opinion.....

My comments don't have anything to do with the commercial side of the Transit Connect which I think was an excellent move on Ford's part.

my 2c, biggest seller could be the LWB with 2 row seating in both commercial and retail segments.....
  • Like 1

So the implication is that (maybe) the Galaxy will be bequeathed sliders, remain a 7 seater, and somewhat morph into a competitive minivan (versus Sienna and Odyssey), replacing the Flex and MKwhatever?

Galaxy shoulder with is up around 60-61" but still build on Mondeo's 112.2" wheelbase so not nearly long enough for a proper US minivan,

I think that duty will fall to a version of full sized Transit - maybe a Short Whelbase version and keep Galaxy as something smaller and more efficient..

Austin, as usual your comments are spot on. I think this is a low level risk for Ford due to the commercial side, which you mentioned. It does make sense to offer the passenger product to see if a market will develop, since the incremental cost to Ford is low, given that the product is already available.

I agree with your point about "traditional" minivan buyers tending to avoid products that don't fit the category, which is why I hope that premierdrum's mention of the next gen Galaxy being under NA development means that it might become Ford's 'true' minvan segment competitor, featuring the attributes and features you mentioned as being a requirement for the segment.

• Like 1