Ford Considers Challenges of New (Actually Compact) F-100/Ranger Pickup Truck

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-considers-challenges-of-new-actually-compact-f-100ranger-pickup-truck/

"The overlap with full-size trucks in size, price, and fuel economy made no sense for the consumer,” Doug Scott, the marketing manager for Ford trucks explained to us at the Chicago auto show. “It led to the death of the shrinking of the compact segment from two million trucks to 250,000 last year.” Blame, if you must, the usual focus groups and feature creep for the ever-expanding trucks. Even more than with cars, every new pickup generation must be better than ever, so more powerful, capable of carrying more payload, and have a higher tow rating.

Is there any remaining consumer interest in a compact pickup that’s actually compact? “You bet,” Scott says. “We’ve spent a lot of time with customers, and we know there is a market for a true compact truck. But you have to have—and we have a pretty good handle on it, we think—a significant difference in size, price, and fuel economy. We think we know what it looks like.” In short, it would need about 1000 pounds of payload capacity, 3000 pounds of towing, and a dramatic reduction in fuel consumption. Does it need to be a traditional body-on-frame truck? “No,” Scott answers. The target consumers really don’t care, as long as a car-based pickup is durable and can haul what they need. Add a reasonable sticker, and “that formula will work.”

No body on frame could mean D4 based truck. Share resources with Explorer and PI.

I don't see any further development of the D4 platform, its going to get replaced by the CD4+3 platform. I see the PI and PIU riding out the platform till 2020 or so, and the Taurus and Explorer switched over to the new platform by 2017 at the latest.

All depends on the target audience...I'm sure there will be alot of people who will deride it like the Ridgeline...

Well, the Ridgeline just fails. It was a great concept with poor execution. The current F150 trumps it in fuel economy, so the Ridgeline offers you nothing over an F150 other than a smaller footprint.

I personally wouldn't mind an Escape based pickup...as long as it can handle a Home Depot run for sheetrock or plywood or the like...it would work

Exactly, and I think that's what they are after. At least, the specs quoted in the article point squarely at an Escape (Focus/TC) based truck.

No body on frame could mean D4 based truck. Share resources with Explorer and PI. Personally, I was hoping for closer to 5k towing. But considering my camper days are likely over, I might be able to live with 3k.

Ford Ridgeline?

... annnnnnnnnnd someone already beat me to it. lol

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

if so, the vehicle should have at LEAST the capacity and ratings of the outgoing Ranger or to me its a step backwards, 3000 towing ISNT enough, somewhere south of 5k is more like it, and maybe even the 1000 lb payload errs on the side of not enough, hell the TC is 1600lbs so it shouldnt be too hard. The Sport-trac was mentioned, IMO a SERIOUSLY flawed vehicle with abed barely big enough to fit the girlfriends makeup bag........AND it got crazy expensive...

• Like 3

I'm not one of those who gets the vapors every time they see a Ranchero or El Segundo, but IF Falcon and Mustang move to a (largely) shared platform in the next generation and IF the next-gen Falcon gets a Ute, it couldn't hurt for Ford to gauge how a Falcon Ute would fare here....

Edited by Moosetang
  • Like 1

I'm not one of those who gets the vapors every time they see a Ranchero or El Segundo, but IF Falcon and Mustang move to a (largely) shared platform in the next generation and IF the next-gen Falcon gets a Ute, it couldn't hurt for Ford to gauge how a Falcon Ute would fare here....

Well it doesn't sound like the Falcon is long for this world either...in its current form.

if so, the vehicle should have at LEAST the capacity and ratings of the outgoing Ranger or to me its a step backwards, 3000 towing ISNT enough, somewhere south of 5k is more like it, and maybe even the 1000 lb payload errs on the side of not enough, hell the TC is 1600lbs so it shouldnt be too hard. The Sport-trac was mentioned, IMO a SERIOUSLY flawed vehicle with abed barely big enough to fit the girlfriends makeup bag........AND it got crazy expensive...

but the problem is that if you make that capable, why not buy a F-150? Its not like the I4 Ranger could even do that!

A truck like this would make lots of sense to people who want a big pickup type bed to put crap in (literally and figuratively) and want to get in the high 20's (if not higher) on the highways. The vast majority of pickups are TOTAL overkill for the consumer market, and a smaller pickup that can haul around a couple sheets of 4x8 plywood or drywall for home improvement projects would be a good seller IMO as a second or third car.

but the problem is that if you make that capable, why not buy a F-150? Its not like the I4 Ranger could even do that!

A truck like this would make lots of sense to people who want a big pickup type bed to put crap in (literally and figuratively) and want to get in the high 20's (if not higher) on the highways. The vast majority of pickups are TOTAL overkill for the consumer market, and a smaller pickup that can haul around a couple sheets of 4x8 plywood or drywall for home improvement projects would be a good seller IMO as a second or third car.

It's kind of sad that 1/2 ton pickups have gotten so big in that it's always been best to use Super/Heavy Duty pickups to haul horses, heavy loads in general, and do snow plowing/landscape work. Somehow the F-150 and competition have morphed these pickups into monsters compared to even the 80's and 90's versions. If F-150 segment pickups are going to continue to be more and more capable blending into Super Duty status, then I would think there is room for smaller pickup with smaller footprint and more car like fuel mileage.

What they are describing is about on par with the Ranger in the early '90's. The 2.3 was rated for just 1600 lbs trailer weight, and it took the 4.0 to get to 3000lbs, I have, and will keep forever, my '91 2.3 M5 long bed because it is perfect for so many things, and it returns about 24mpg in mixed driving. With modern technology I bet it would do closer to 30, (high 20's).

Ford has to replace the Mk4 Fiesta based Courier pickup in South America sooner or later so I think they are probably seriously thinking about it as a global One-Ford effort.

Courier_wikipedia.jpg

I think the question is thus:

If they replace Courier with another B-platform truck, which is sized just right for South America and Africa will it be too small for North America? And if they replace Courier with a bigger C-segment truck (e.g. Escape pickup or Transit Connect LT) that is right sized for North America, will it be too big for South America and Africa?

I think the answer is probably that you replace it with a C-segment truck and find a way to make it cheap for South America/Africa. I don't know how exactly but that should be the goal.